What's Brewing? (February Edition)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Eggman20, Jan 26, 2018.

1. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (400) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Tell me about it. I brewed on Saturday (1.069 OG) and as of right now, the beer is at 1.020 already within 48hrs. I will already add DH #2 tonight before FG is hit (~1.014)... Let sit one or two days and then get into a keg with some priming sugar to carbonate. I may have it on as soon as Sunday, depending how quickly the yeast munches through the priming sugar, but my tentative plan is the Wednesday following... Just to allow some maturing :wink:

I have not had any issues with harshness/burn or anything like that with quick turnarounds, either. But they do improve over the next few weeks IMO, with hop flavors/aroma becoming more well rounded and everything.

2. invertalon

Splurged on yet more hops from YVH... This will def be my last order for this year... I should be all set until the 2018 crop! Now I just need to brew some big IPA's to start purging my current inventory! (around 12lbs)...

1lb Galaxy (can never have enough!)
    8oz Hallertau Blanc
    8oz Hallertau Mittelfruh
    8oz Exp. Tangerine
    2oz Willamette
    2oz US Goldings
    2oz Crystal
    8oz Comet (had to buy more, batch I bought few weeks ago are unreal in aroma!)
    8oz NZ Rakau
    8oz AU Ella

3. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (228) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

What year comet did you buy? I have 2016 and wasn't impressed. Maybe I'll try a smash with them.

4. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (114) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I tried this once with a “stainless” scrubby. Come to find out those are for scrubbing stainless and not actually stainless. Metallic drainpour. Use a plastic scrubby if you go that route

5. invertalon

2017 from Yakima Valley Hops... I actually bought a half pound a few weeks ago that I used in my IPL and given the aroma and flavors in that beer, I had to buy more. I expected more earthy/dank aroma, but damn... It put the Amarillo and Medusa I also used in that IPL to shame! Had to buy more.

I remember having a Comet hopped IPA at Troegs (one of their scratch beers) a year ago or so and I absolutely loved it. I just really enjoy that hop, I suppose!

EvenMoreJesus and Prep8611 like this.
  6. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (114) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I’ve had a few batches that I should have conditioned longer but fermentation wise I think you have to package quickly to have it taste like an neipa. A 3 week fermentation ends up clear and west coast to me. I kegged a neapa 3 weeks ago with kolsch yeast and azacca and it’s still cloudy af

7. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (332) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Nice! I’ve been meaning to try a NEIPA with a Kolsch yeast. Seems like it would work nicely.

8. invertalon

Had a rough kegging yesterday with my NE IPA... Usually, I cold crash to drop out all the hops prior to transfer, but I decided to try it without this time (to try and prevent oxygen and all that fun stuff). I had a paint strainer bag on the end of my transfer tube into the keg and had sugar primed about an hour or so prior to transfer as I will be naturally carbonating this one.

Well I put 1-2psi into the headspace of and opened the ball valve. Basically the bag almost immediately loaded up with hop debris and the flow eventually stopped. Had to jam that bad boy out of the keg, which was a mess. Then I replaced the bag and started it over again, which thankfully went better until the end of the transfer when the bag loaded up and caused all types of issues. Wasted a lot of finished beer. Only ended up with like 4.5-4.75 gallon into the keg. The bummer was that when pulling those bags out finished beer was dripping and likely oxygenating the batch a bit. On the plus side, the yeast should have been active to help reduce any negative effects and also with the keg hopping inside the keg, aroma should still be potent when complete.

Was trying something new but it just didn't work out as expected! Typically, even with 6-8oz of dry hop and a day or two cold crash, I can transfer with minimal hop debris even without the paint strainer bag which I never use. Also my first time using my Brewtech Bucket, so I thought the pickup tube being rotated upward would have reduced the hop pickup more than it did. So less learned, always cold crash them hops out! Always a learning curve with new equipment though.

I will admit though on a side note, that beer is looking mighty fine and the aroma/flavor is incredible. Def closer than my previous Congress Street clone, can't wait to see how this is complete! Hopefully my kegging snafu didn't cause only issues with oxidation, but I will be hopeful... :grinning: Nailed the FG right at 1.014 for the 7.2% ABV I targeted.

DrMindbender likes this.
  9. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,238) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

Got a few days off next week watching the boys. Have a recipe for second iteration of my Spiced Belgian Blonde with my Nectarine Blossom yeast. Also have an ESB recipe, just waiting on the MO to come in.

DrMindbender and GormBrewhouse like this.
  10. csurowiec

csurowiec Disciple (327) Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

My mother-in-law passed away Sunday after a short furious fight with cancer. The family is doing a big celebration of her life get together in a couple weeks. My wife and her sister both asked if I would brew beer for the event. So now I have three batches to brew this weekend and get them grain to glass in two weeks. On the menu is a hefeweizen a pils and my toasted ale. Going to be a busy weekend.
    This is also my excuse to build a trash can kegerator.

11. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (356) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Sorry for your loss, good idea on the trash can.

DrMindbender, frozyn and Prep8611 like this.
  12. FenderOffset238

FenderOffset238 Initiate (172) May 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Just brewed a hoppy mixed fermentation saison (though, theoretically it's is supposed to be 100% brett) with a loads of Hallertau Blanc hopps on Monday. Including dry hops it will clock in at 1oz/gal of hops at 30-ish IBU. Sort of a cross between saison/sour/IPA. Woke up this morning to the carboy oozing foam and had to set up a quick blow off tube before work... at least I know my house culture is alive and well!

DrMindbender, MrOH and GormBrewhouse like this.
  13. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (745) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Why "theoretically"?

14. GormBrewhouse

Currently brewing the chocolate coffee oatmeal stout.

15. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (45) May 18, 2017 England

I took a gravity reading on the Burton Ale tonight - it looks like I've managed to coax about 75% AA out of Windsor yeast, which feels like an achievement. Hydrometer sample tasted nice, too.

16. FenderOffset238

The culture was made from a collection of dregs from my favorite commercial 100% brett beers that I gathered a while back. Though, due to the nature of dreg propagation and the fact the the culture has consistently produced a noticeable tartness, I highly suspect some bacterial contamination (lacto most likely, and probably yeast). The mystery is how such high hopping rates (and theoretical IBUs) wouldn't hinder the lacto that may be present. I know brett can produce tartness is some circumstances, but I'd doubt it would account for it in this culture. I suppose I'll never know since I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do the micro-bio work to figure exactly what the culture contains... all I know is that it makes a delicious beer -- especially in the presence of fruity hops!

I sort of embrace the "farmhouse" mentality when it comes to my sour production. A little bit of guessing and mystery makes it fun.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  17. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (745) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

How high are you IBUs? What are your hop additions like?

It does, indeed.

18. FenderOffset238

This specific recipe was for a 3 gallon batch:
    OG: 1.062
    Hops: Hallertau Blanc (8.8 AA)
    .25oz @15mins; 10.5 IBU
    1.25oz @ 5mins; 21 IBU
    1oz @ 0mins; (? IBU)
    1.5oz dry hop for 5 days

All in all just over 30 IBUs

The recipe for my Nelson Sauvin version is similar in total IBUs, but less total mounts to account for the higher AA. Comes out like a tart white-wine-ish saison.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  19. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Champion (889) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Today I bottled a Peach Sour from a keg that was rarely poured from and was taking up space in the keezer, then I filled that keg with my house brett session that I fermented with a different mixed culture than usual. Finally, I brewed a Rye Brett NE DIPA with Mosaic and Amarillo that I added back onto the yeast/bug cake. Possibly brewing in the morning, but must likely not...I'm trying to push a Kolsch to keg for a party next Sunday and I want to rack my next brew onto the yeast, but I just don't think the Kolsch has finished yet.

Cheers and happy weekend yall!!!

Lukass and GormBrewhouse like this.
  20. Prep8611

Anyone ever use Conan for anything other than an IPA/pale. I want to keep this slurry fresh but am burned out on the style. Opinions if I can do a blonde ale or cream ale? What temp would be best to restrain the fruitiness?

21. GormBrewhouse

I never used it, but if it is fruity, why not use it in one of your blueberry brew? Perhaps the strawberry brew? Options are endless

22. Prep8611

Tired of fruit beers as well. I just want a normal plain old beer. Was seeing if I could kill two birds with one stone and keep my yeast fresh while I was at it. From what I read from bjcp guidelines is that the yeast would be fine as a little fruitiness is okay for the style. Just wanted to get the experienced opinions of this board.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  23. Supergenious

Go for it. I’ve never used it for a blonde, but it would probably work nicely. Also, something like an English Bitter could work.

24. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (361) May 2, 2006 Utah

I suspect it would be just fine for any light to medium colored ale: blondes, pales, bitters, ambers, or British IPAs. Not sure about a cream ale, though, as I suspect the yeast has a bit too much character for the style.

GormBrewhouse and Prep8611 like this.
  25. Supergenious

Going to crank out a Hefeweizen in the next week. I have yet to be impressed with my previous attempts at a hefe. So this time going to try different approach. Planning on doing a short protein rest, followed by decoction mash. Then pitch yeast in low 60s, and semi open fermentation the 1st couple days.

Eggman20, MrOH, invertalon and 2 others like this.
  26. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (54) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

Brewing up an Arrogant Bastard Ale clone Sunday. Gleened recipe from a homebrewtalk thread. 15lbs 2 row, 2 lbs caraaroma, absolute shit load of Chinook hops. Anyone ever try to clone this beer? I just love it when it’s fresh.

fuzzbalz, loebrygg and GormBrewhouse like this.
  27. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,715) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Making a split batch cream ale with one half getting k97 and the other us05. Never used k97 so am interested if I will find it kolschy. I saw there was a brulosophy post on a similar comparison.

MrOH and GormBrewhouse like this.
  28. Prep8611

I used k-97. Definitely use a blow off tube. It was a total mess but it did make some nice beer. A little more flavor than 05

29. Prep8611

Tomorrow doing an "American" (Presidents' Day Fuck Zee Germans :wink: ) pilsner with loral. Going to use my filter tap water and 50% distilled with 1cc of lactic acid. Grain bill will be
    95% pils (CMC)
    5% carahell (weyermann)
    All boil loral 60/30/15. (YVH)
    2 packets 34/70 (Fermentis)
    Mash at 150.
    Ferment at 50 transfer to spunding keg towards end of fermentation
    Lager 3 weeks
    K.I.S.S

Granitebeard and GormBrewhouse like this.
  30. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,439) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Pineapple Blueberry Berliner Racking Sample
    [​IMG]

31. Prep8611

Real pineapple?

32. VikeMan

Yes. And real blueberries.

33. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,715) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

I’ll have 1.5 gallons bucket headspace for a 2.5 gallon batch. I’ll be surprised if I need a blowoff.

34. Prep8611

Awesome, does it taste anything like tepache from the pineapple?

35. Prep8611

Ya u should be fine. I was an asshole and only had about a gallon of space for a 5.5 gallon batch. Had to hose out my fermentation chamber.

36. VikeMan

Dunno. I've never tasted tepache. But isn't tepache made with the rind/peel? I used the soft fruit, i.e. the stuff that people normally eat.

37. invertalon

Brewing a RIS today to fill a whisky barrel within the next two weeks. Had the mash tun filled to the very brim (1.1 water/grain ratio for mash) for 26.5 lb of grain in a 10-gallon round cooler. Hitting my gravity targets, if not a little over, so that's awesome. Rest temp was right at 155-156F for the single infusion, although it's a bit tricky to measure on such a mash. On trek to hit an OG of 1.110 give or take a point or two, target was 1.107. Boil is half done with it's 2hr boil.

Grist comprised of 2-Row, Munich II, Biscuit, Oats, Caramel 40L, Caramel 120L, Roast Barley, Chocolate Wheat, Black Patent, and Carafa III. About 12oz of sugar in there as well.Total roast comes out to about 15% of the grist. SRM is in the ballpark of 70.

Mash pH was right where I needed it to be, ~5.5 pH utilizing both Pickling Lime and Baking Soda given the large amount of roasted malts.

Will be pitching a healthy dose of WLP007 that had a 3.5L starter from a fresh vial I just harvested last week. Expecting the FG to be 1.025-1.030 for a final ABV around 11-12%.

38. Prep8611

It's made with both.

39. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (93) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Well Friday was a Scottish Heavy. Mash tun did well with just about a degree lost over an hour. Over all the brew went smooth. Hit my numbers for SG, just slightly over on amount in the bucket!

Today was a Porter. Tried just using strike water temp to not need to preheat it... Guess I need to dial that number in a little better. Over all again a good brew day. This will be my "weakest" beer ever with a predicted ABV of 4.3%.

Was going to do next years Imperial Stout, but decided to hold off on that one. Too much for one weekend.

40. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Disciple (302) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

Here's the Congress St. clone I've been blabbing about. Had concerns that I would not match Trillium's because I did not use any fermentation/biotransformation hops. My final gravity sample was crystal clear too. However, after the mega 6oz Galaxy/1oz Columbus dry hop, it completely transformed into the murky mess I was hoping for. Will be interesting to see if this changes over the next few weeks. Maybe I missed out on some ß-citronellol and terpenoids that could be gained from fermentation hopping but it didn't stop me and my buddy from having a few too many of these last night. This is awesome stuff. I really like what WLP007 and the dextrose does to this. In middle of the gulps through the finish there's this tart dryness that cleans off the juicy tropical goodness that initially hits you and it leaves my mouth ready for more. My water profile was closer to 1:1 as well. I usually go 2:1 (chloride heavy) for my NEIPAs. @invertalon I'm sure you're in for a nice treat with yours as well as our recipes are practically the same (though you are adding biotransformation hops which I think will only help). Enjoy.

frozyn, Jesse14, Scope4Beer and 3 others like this.