What's Brewing? (January Edition)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by utahbeerdude, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (110) Dec 16, 2016 Canada (AB)
    Trader

Brewed up a dry hopped kettle sour this weekend with a starter made from a Bio-K fermented milk shot. Has 3 Lacto strains. Held kettle at 98 degrees for 48 hrs, hit 3.3 pH. Boiled for 1 hour, whirlpooled 3 ounces total of citra mosaic amarillo at 175. Chilled and pitched hefty starter of wy1968.

9 lbs 2 row
    2 lbs vienna
    1 lbs flaked wheat
    0.8 lbs acid malt.

Planning on dry hopping 3 more oz total of amarillo citra mosaic.

First attempt , was relieved that the wort did not smell offensive and the fermentation took off right away.

2. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (89) May 18, 2017 England

Re the 1848 Barclay Perkins porter:
    Just took a gravity reading of this, and tasting the hydrometer sample was... interesting. Nice, rich, sweet, fruity, roasty and then whoosh, you get run over by a freight train full of bitterness that lasts for, well, I don't know how long it lasts for because I've had a cup of milky tea since and I'm still getting the aftertaste. So that's what 95 IBUs into 1.060 OG tastes like!

I'd expect this to be pretty great once the hops have faded with a bit of age. I'm also keen to brew the "running" version with the more sensible hopping at some point.

3. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey

My fiancee and I bottled our 1 gallon batch (NEIPA) on Sunday. It's smelling very nice with fruity aromas. Hoping to open a bottle this weekend to see how it's doing.

[​IMG]

4. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,445) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Just bottled 10 gallons of a saison/cider hybrid with Brett B. One fermenter was dry hopped with 3 oz of Nelson 5 days before bottling, while the other was left 'as is'. Also, transferred a wild yeast wheat to a corny keg to condition until the oatmeal stout kicks.

Imperial oatmeal stout is getting racked to secondary in a few days on top of an American oak spiral soaked in 6ish oz of Heaven Hill. Aaand that'll be it for me for a while until all of this beer is consumed!

5. RGraves29

RGraves29 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2011 Ohio

Racked 15g of Imperial stout into used bourbon barrel last night. Gonna let it sit for 4 mo then sample and see where it’s at. Time permitting will brew this weekend with temps expected above normal

6. mugs1789

mugs1789 Initiate (81) Dec 6, 2005 Maryland

Brewed a session stout weekend before last. Considering an imperial stout on the yeast cake when I rack it in a week or two.

7. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (2,083) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Give it an extra week

8. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey

The temptation is killing me :grin:

thebriansmaude likes this.
  9. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Your patience will be rewarded and your haste will be punished.

frozyn, MrOH, GormBrewhouse and 2 others like this.
  10. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (110) Dec 16, 2016 Canada (AB)
    Trader

If anything it will be a good learning opportunity to see why week long carbed beer is never worth drinking :wink:

MrOH and GormBrewhouse like this.
  11. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (926) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Kegged a Eureka single hopped IPA and then brewed up a Mosaic Wheat NE IPA this morning...very similar grain bill but different hopping techniques and yeast compared to the Mosaic Wheat IPA I brewed this past weekend.

Cheers!

12. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

Cream ale with a target of 5.5% abv and 20 ibus. 2 row and flaked corn.

My son helping me mash in.

#92 GetMeAnIPA, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    crcostel, marc77, frozyn and 12 others like this.
  13. Prep8611

Great sight to see. Can't wait for my daughter to help me mash in a few years

GetMeAnIPA and GormBrewhouse like this.
  14. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

It’s great. He likes to light the burner, what boy doesn’t want to play with fire, mash in and do hop additions. Then asks me why I like to take pictures of my beer.

Now if only I could only get him to help clean.....

15. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Took a gravity sample of the IIBA yesterday... 48 hours in and it dropped from 1.081 to 1.030... damn that was fast. Probably check the Session IBA tonight. Cleared the sample in the fridge to see if it is dark enough, and looks like I will need to add some more Sinamar to get it black.

16. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Devotee (416) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Does it mean anything, good or bad, when gravity drops quickly like that? Or is it just the nature of the strain? (Assuming all other conditions are set properly for healthy fermentation).

17. jbakajust1

My NEIPA got the yeast first and it took almost a week to drop that much. This beer got the cake from the NEIPA. I prefer to have a quick fermentation where I reach TG within 4-5 days. NEIPA was my first time using dry yeast. This beer was first time repitching dry yeast.

Curmudgeon likes this.
  18. meatst1ck

meatst1ck Initiate (69) Feb 22, 2015 Pennsylvania

Just got into brewing a few months ago, and I brewed up my first sour (saison) today! So excited to start down this path, as mixed-ferm saisons are really what I'd like to focus on from here on out...

Batch Size: 2.5 gallons
    OG: 1.050
    ABV: 5.19%
    IBU: 13.84
    SRM: 5.48

Grains
    3 lb - American - Pilsner (65.5%)
    0.8 lb - American - White Wheat (17.5%)
    0.32 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (7%)
    0.46 lb - Flaked Oats (10%)

Hops
    60 min - 0.15 oz - East Kent Goldings
    15 min - 0.20 oz - Saaz
    10 min - 0.10 oz - East Kent Goldings
    10 min - 0.12 oz - Motueka
    5 min - 0.12 oz - Motueka

Yeast: TYB Saison/Brett Blend II, and 3F dregs

Water Profile: mash pH - 5.25, Ca - 53, Mg - 5, Na -31, SO4 - 79, Cl - 99

Infusion mashed at 154F for 90 min, with 90 min boil

Planning on slowly ramping up temp in primary from 68F to ~78F over the next 3-4 weeks, then racking onto oak cubes in secondary for a few months.

marc77, Lukass, wasatchback and 4 others like this.
  19. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2013 Texas

Sampling of 3 brews.

1. A quad with brett L and Chimay yeasts. Tasting like rotten flowers, kinda meh. I added the charred oak sticks that I have been soaking in Courvoisier. Will give this one a few more weeks before the next sample. 1.074 -> 1.010.

2. A braggot take on a "pirate strong ale". Really great flavors of oak, pineapple, honey, and a bit of malt. None of the cinnamon. Still need to add some vanilla and rum at bottling. Very excited for this one! 1.121 -> 1.012 and still going down.

3. A semi-spontaneous sour saison with passionfruit & guava puree. Smells amazing, taste is great for being flat. 1.060 -> 1.008, cold crashing and will bottle asap. Excited for this one too, my club is having a contest in Feb for fruited sour beers.

20. Prep8611

3rd time brewing this month. Brewing ten gallons of schwarzbier and splitting the wort with a buddy

crcostel, meatst1ck and GormBrewhouse like this.
  21. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (541) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Tomorrow, bottling centennial lager. Racking big ipa and brewing a session pale with cascade and chinook.

#101 GormBrewhouse, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
    crcostel and meatst1ck like this.
  22. marc77

marc77 Poo-Bah (2,044) May 25, 2001 California
    Society

Brewed a SMaSH-- 100% Vienna malt + Experimental Stone Fruit hop (from Yakimavalleyhops) last week. 1.060, ~65IBUs. These hops were 17% AA, so all my IBUs came from late additions. Dry hopping it today. These hops smell vibrant as hell, loads of lime tangerine and kiwi out of the bag... I don't get any stone fruit! I'm very excited to see how they taste/smell in beer.

GormBrewhouse and Lukass like this.
  23. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Batch 001 of the year next week. Probably a cream ale, Kölsch, something along those lines. Going to split a 10 gal. batch and test 0 PSI vs 15 PSI and see which one I prefer.
    Here’s my super simple 3-piece ‘spunding valve’.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,965) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I transferred my English strong ale to secondary and added a vial of WL Brett c. I had a pretty thick trub in the primary that I didn't want to transfer and ended up losing some volume. I don't want a big head space in the secondary fermenter so I whipped a 1060 ish wort with pale ale dme and molasses. When it cools, I'll use it as a top off. If I have any leftover, I'll use for starters

25. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,445) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Just submitted 2 entries for the All American Homebrew competition, hosted in downtown Cincinnati during their annual winter beer fest. A sour dark saison and a hoppy rye saison. Both saisons, yet both completely different from one another

26. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (506) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

My first kettle sour, a Raspberry Berliner.

1.031 OG to 1.005 FG. Final pH post fermentation was 3.25.

Added 3.5lb Red Raspberry the other day. Color looks really nice after one day on the fruit! Plan to keg this upcoming weekend.

[​IMG]

27. argock

argock Poo-Bah (3,774) Dec 30, 2006 Virginia
    Society

Enjoying a light 4.8% witbier brewed according to Brewing Classic Styles except used Belgian pilsner malt and a slight grains of paradise addition. Would shoot for more citrus flavor in the future but enjoying the wheatiness! Lots of great beers in this thread!

Supergenious and GormBrewhouse like this.
  28. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Busy brew day for me. Brewing 11 gallons of golden sour today. I got my hands on some ECY cultures, so I'm splitting the batch and pitching Senne Valley into one carboy and Bug County into the other. Grist is 40% pils, 40% german pale malt, 9% wheat, 9% spelt, 2% aromatic. Mash at 156.

Also kegging my breakfast stout and my house culture saison today.

29. Prep8611

Kegging citra centennial IPA. Will taste friday

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  30. invertalon

Trader

Finalized my IPL recipe for this upcoming weekend, my first IPL so I'm quite excited!

Grist is 2-row, flaked wheat, carahell and light munich. Some sugar to dry it out a little.

OG ~ 1.049
    FG ~ 1.008
    5.3% ABV

Using all new hops I've personally never used yet in my recipes... Warrior for the bittering charge followed with Amarillo, Comet and Medusa for flavor/aroma.

Will be pitching a healthy dose of #2206 and fermenting at 48F. Will get a single dry hop near FG (when I raise the temp up to 55-60F for this one) and then a small keg hopping which will be added with the priming sugar to naturally carb/spund in the keg to finish. Crashing and lager for 2-weeks or so at freezing and hope for the best!

31. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Initiate (74) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

Second brew of the month will be a Vienna-based Imperial Amber. The recipe called for Palisade (which I could not find at the time) and Simcoe (which I forgot to buy). I'll be substituting Willamette and some leftover Citra. Should come in between 8 and 8.5%

32. JohnConnorforealthistime

JohnConnorforealthistime Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2016 Wisconsin

I think I asked you this before but thoughts on carahell? I know you brewed a pils (I think) with it. Did you like it?

33. jbakajust1

Already dropped my temps on the Black IIPA and Black ISA a few days ago. Adding the first charge of Dryhops in the fermenter tonight. Will keg on Saturday with final DH addition.

34. invertalon

Trader

That Pilsner I used it in did finish recently and it turned out great! So I would say it was a success... Going to keep trying before making a final accessment. I have a Helles coming up that will be using it as well, so the malt should really shine on that.

35. JohnConnorforealthistime

Do you think it added to body and head retention like it says? What did you think of flavor contribution? How much did you use? Thanks!

36. invertalon

Trader

Honestly, I don't know as this Pilsner was different than my "house" Pils, that would have been a better way to test it out. I mashed higher, higher FG and different carbonation method... I used about 5% and the rest Pils malt I believe, and it just has a nice bready, cereal grain like flavor. It's really pleasant, but hard to me to know what was new process/recipe and the carahell, especially at 5%. Head retention is about the same as my other Pils before it (that didn't spund, use carahell, etc...). So don't really have comment on that either. I usually always have really solid head retention regardless.

37. PintOh1759

PintOh1759 Initiate (133) Oct 29, 2014 Missouri

Just racked 5gal RIS to secondary onto French Oak, Buffalo trace bourbon, Coconut Extract, Vanilla extract and Cacao.

38. Allen752

Allen752 Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2017 Japan

Inkbird 308 really a great one, good price and high quality.

Buck89 likes this.
  39. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (541) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Today bottleing the big ipa, racking to secondary and adding spice mix to mole beer. Sunday brewing another bad ass burton ale. Really like the way my goldings and fuggles are tasting in this brew

Lukass and Jesse14 like this.
  40. JohnConnorforealthistime

Awesome! I think my biggest question was around flavor impact. I'm using it in an IPA but was a little worried. It doesn't sound like it was overly impactful that way at 5% which is about what I'm using. Thanks!

GormBrewhouse and invertalon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.