What's Discord and Why Should I Join?

Discussion in 'Help Resources' started by Todd, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,498) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

If you're already on Discord, skip to the invite at the bottom of this post.

If you're new to Discord, this read is for you...

What's Discord?
    In a nutshell: Discord was launched in 2015 and originally created for gamers by gamers. It's not social media. It's a free voice, video, and real time chat app that currently has over 150 million monthly active users (over 300 million accounts) as of 2021 and welcomes countless communities and topics beyond gaming. Servers are broken down into text and voice channels, grouped into categories, and controlled by admins, mods, and often times bots that can assist with specific tasks and activities. Members can also boost servers to unlock perks and advanced features.

As for BeerAdvocate, we've been on and off of the platform since 2018, but I recently fired up an old server again under the name BArmy.

Why should I join? Isn't being on BeerAdvocate enough?
    While this site is great for logging beer reviews, looking up beers/places, discussing forum topics and polls, beer trading, and whatnot, it doesn't have the ability to chat in real time, drop into a video call, live stream video, or host audio events (called stages).

For example, here's what we're currently using Discord for:
    • Chat: Real time text and voice chat.
    • Beer Fests: Receive live updates and chat with other attendees during our virtual and in-person beer fests.
    • Beer Industry Hangouts: We recently hosted our first stage (audio event) during the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale online tasting with Terence Sullivan (Product Manager and Brewery Ambassador). Ken Grossman wound up crashing the hangout for over an hour. Yes, Ken Grossman joined our Discord. And it was amazing! (We'll be doing more of these soon.)
    • Giveaways: Now and then we'll conduct giveaways for our fests, merch, and other swag using a bot.
    Ready to join us?!

Download: https://discord.com/download
    (I recommend downloading both the desktop and mobile app, but you can also access it via your browser.)

Invite: https://discord.gg/jkPY5jrU6P
    (New? Simply create a free account, agree to the rules, and then #verify.)

See you on Discord.

Cheers! :beers: