1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

What's going on with Craft Beer Cellar?

Discussion in 'New England' started by canihaveyourbeer, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Loblaw

Loblaw Initiate (41) Mar 14, 2012 Massachusetts

I can confirm that Graham is, indeed, still at CBC Newton.

2. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (298) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

That dude used to use the sales technique -- and yes, this is a specific technique they teach you in retail sales -- of not just recommending a beer, but actually taking it off the shelf and handing it to me, so that I have to either buy it or put it back where it came from. Which, because A) familiar with the technique and B) comfortable being an asshole, wasn't a problem for me, but I definitely felt the hard sell and it didn't particularly make me want to come back.

3. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (150) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Ha- me too-and I seldom return to places like that. I am a grown ass man- If want help, I will ask for it.

DucRacer900 likes this.
  4. KevTurnersBootburn

KevTurnersBootburn Initiate (71) Jan 19, 2014 Massachusetts

That blog post sealed the deal on me never giving any of those franchises another penny that might end up going to those 2 egomaniacs.

jrnyc likes this.
  5. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (196) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I hear ya. I really don't want to punish the franchisees, but it pains me to support this company with those two at the top.

jrnyc likes this.
  6. Aceinthehole

Aceinthehole Initiate (10) Apr 10, 2019

Sadly, the individual stores are being ‘punished’ for the behavior of the CBC franchisors. I totally understand why people are soured (no pun intended) on CBC though.

7. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (32) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Can we turn in our privilege for beer at CBC now?

8. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (106) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

9. 9percenthurdle

9percenthurdle Initiate (22) Sep 6, 2018 Massachusetts

Wow what a totally tonedeaf diatribe that undermines any sort of brand equity CBC had remaining. Remarkable case study in how not to manage and market a business.

tgould55, Aceinthehole, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  10. canihaveyourbeer

canihaveyourbeer Initiate (21) Jul 26, 2015 Massachusetts

Straight white males are the majority of their customers, right?

11. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (80) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Instead of embracing the 'how' and 'why' of the details that define the success of this store, we continue to hear 'how special Belmont is' or that it is all attributed to the two of us being 'on campus' most of the time. While we don't wholly disagree with either of these sentiments, the reality of what keeps this store growing at around a 10% rate, is all about the model of what it means to be a Craft Beer Cellar
    The only reason i've gone to their store is that it's literally a 1 minute detour on my way back from work. I dont know what the "CBC model" is but i've always thought the Newton store did it better, it's just further out of my way to go there.

Aceinthehole likes this.
  12. oldbean

Weaponizing the language of legitimate social critique for your own selfish ends is as much an expression of toxic privilege as anything.

The white male domination of craft beer is probably the biggest factor halting the growth of the industry right now, and this shit is emphatically NOT HELPING. It does nothing but give ammo to those who would dismiss those concerns as petty and unserious, because these complaints are petty and unserious. Fuck off.

#93 oldbean, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    kinopio, Ericness, tgould55 and 13 others like this.
  13. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (172) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

These ladies are going to tear down their own business from the inside and they don't even know it.....Toxicity like this spreads like a virus

Their PR people(if they have them) need to get a hold of them

jomobono and Aceinthehole like this.
  14. canihaveyourbeer

Seems highly unlikely after reading these last two blog posts.

hopley, Aceinthehole and Aaron58 like this.
  15. Norica

Norica Aspirant (221) Feb 2, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

No mention of the Belmont store success being attributed to being one of the first licenses in a previous dry affluent town?

#96 Norica, Apr 12, 2019 at 12:25 AM
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019 at 12:39 AM
  16. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (183) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

"You thought that Twitter rant was tone deaf? Hold my beer."

17. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (93) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

When I saw that link, with the name of the blog post (single-white-males), I thought it HAD to be a joke. I probably could not be a more liberal proponent of all minorities. But...

So true and well said, needed to be quoted. Even if some of what they say is true, even if some people malign them because they are gay women, the way they've handled it could not be more wrong. It makes me both angry and sad.

Aceinthehole likes this.
  18. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (573) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Fucking ugh. Thank you for putting that all so well.

I was trying to stick with the notion that this was all largely between them and their franchisees, but that blog post was something else. Congrats, I guess, on alienating someone who's both an ally for your cause and was a fan of your flagship store.

bla211, Aceinthehole and SunDevilBeer like this.
  19. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,085) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

What a vile diatribe! So easy to play all the cards they are playing rather than looking in the mirror. Feel bad for people who paid these lunatics for a franchise that has failed.

Aceinthehole likes this.
  20. AshleySchaeffer_BMW

AshleySchaeffer_BMW Initiate (25) Mar 18, 2019 Massachusetts

Total lunatics playing the victim card instead of realizing people don't like them because they're terrible people and not because of anything else.

jrnyc and Aceinthehole like this.
  21. Aceinthehole

Aceinthehole Initiate (10) Apr 10, 2019

This ^

The only thing that would explain this latest blog rant is extreme delusion. It's sad. But mostly it's sad for all the franchise owners who are stuck with this management team - which is so clearly inept, out-of-touch and unable to accept responsibility.

Who is this directed at? Franchises? Customers? Its difficult to imagine someone who is a misogynist or homophobe being able to overlook their gender and orientation while buying into the franchise, only to sabotage them after investing money and time.... But yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night. Great job of alienating your entire industry and customer base!!!!

*This isn't to say I don't believe there is misogyny or homophobia in the industry- just saying i don't believe it's at the root of the issues CBC's management is having.

22. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Aspirant (287) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Skwalk47, nolanz14, jrnyc and 6 others like this.
  23. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (430) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

jrnyc and Aceinthehole like this.
  24. lansdowne24

lansdowne24 Initiate (58) May 30, 2012 Massachusetts

Yikes.

25. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (514) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

“The smartest most well written blog you will read this week.”

Now that’s some solid shade.

26. MikeyBadnews

MikeyBadnews Aspirant (209) Dec 10, 2013 Massachusetts

If you have an issue with middle aged white males then just say so, don't accept their business. You'll be closed by Easter.

The "model" as far as I can tell is set up a boutique shop, don't sell 30 racks of macro lager and sell craft beer. I mean, they didn't exactly reinvent the wheel.

The CBC I frequent is owned and operated by a woman. I've never once given a thought whether or not I should go there because of her gender.

What a wacky post. Total shame

27. canihaveyourbeer

I wonder if a white male wrote this.

Aceinthehole and Sheppard like this.
  28. oldbean

They don’t sell 30 racks, like the traditional package stores that are horning in on their market, but remember, they ALSO don’t sell nice cheese, sandwiches, local produce, etc, like all the boutique grocery stores and farm stands that are horning in on your market.

Aceinthehole likes this.
  29. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (410) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sad to see where this is headed. No way on earth they survive w/a lunatic in charge that would pen that post. Straight up business suicide happening here.

Was thinking about my own store experiences and the one spot I never felt pressured was Waterbury..they seemed to have a slightly different model which relied (relies?) heavily on having sought after local beers in the store as a gateway to other purchases. Haven’t been in awhile but hope they continue to thrive.

30. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (102) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

The Waterbury CBC is a good one. They have a takeaway draft system that I have not seen in other CBCs

I haven’t been to one in a couple years (incl Waterbury) but I do recall it as a good spot

31. Aaron58

Loved the Waterbury store. They probably never needed the CBC title to begin with. Region is flush with great beer, AND their location is perfect. Located right between two ON premise destinations in Pro Pig and Blackback

Sheppard likes this.
  32. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (233) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

And a former employee of Stellar

33. honclfibr

honclfibr Initiate (42) Feb 10, 2014 New Hampshire

CBC Winchester just announced in the Winchester residents facebook group that they are closing their doors.

Please share as we are having some issues with our social media!

To our beloved Customers and Community,

We are deeply saddened to announce the closing of Craft Beer Cellar Winchester on April 30, 2019. For such a small store, our place was one that brought together the work of many small businesses from around New England, across the country and across the globe. We always felt that what we represented was a tribute to the idea that art in every corner of life can, and should, be celebrated and distributed! Craft beer and wine bring homegrown art and passion to the table. We loved the idea that we were a part of an industry that allowed us to expand our community's culture by presenting the unique personalities of our brewers to a bigger audience.

We loved selling you beer. We loved hearing about what you liked and didn't like. We loved giving treats to your pups and chatting with you as you moved through your day. We loved introducing you to flavors that your palette had never known and asking you to go outside your comfort zone a bit to try something new. Winchester is an incredible place to live and work and we will miss this part of the business so much.

We all come to crossroads in our lives where we have to make big decisions about how to proceed. There are always many factors involved in making a decision like this, and we considered all possibilities before reaching this point. We love our staff and just as they are helping us close down, we will help them move on to their next adventure. We are so grateful for the hard work and dedication they have shown in making the store run smoothly day to day.

We hope that you all will come to say to goodbye to us and to our staff through the end of the month. We are selling absolutely everything so if you need great beer AND a few shelves or some cool decorations for the bar in your house - we can be a one stop shopping spot. We will be discounting our stock 25% today through April 30 so come get great beer at a discounted price.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us during this time. We appreciate it more than you know.

Sincerely,

David, Amanda, & Rich
    CBC Winchester

meefmoff and canihaveyourbeer like this.
  34. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,134) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Crazy to still see there are 4 new CBCs in the planning stage...per their website.

35. oldbean

There’s a lot to make fun of here, but ultimately this whole situation is a bummer. And it’s wild to see everything unraveling so fast.

meefmoff and DucRacer900 like this.
  36. canihaveyourbeer

4 stores in a month have closed now. Crazy.

37. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (257) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just more victimhood mentality which is quite common in 2019. Let's blame the white males who pad our wallets or bad franchisee owners who are trying the best they can to run a business. It's everyone else's fault except ours. Good riddance. I will never step foot inside one of those places again.

38. Aaron58

Agreed. It's sad for the shop owners who are losing their business. Never like to see that

39. schinebd

schinebd Disciple (330) Feb 11, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I hope this doesn't spell trouble for CBC in Braintree. I really like that store and the people who operate it.

ManapuaMan and meb3476 like this.