What's on the shelves CT (2018)?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Evmo31, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (170) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

coteman6789 likes this.
  2. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Disciple (319) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut

So did Sucaba make it to CT or not?

3. cosmicdebris

from FW rep:

Sucaba is actually en route to CT as we speak - unfortunately, the truck with the beer got held up by the snowstorms. We are hoping that the beer is unloaded without any hiccups at the wholesaler today and goes to to retailers this week!

4. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (126) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Bill, I just picked up Sucaba at Amity for 8.99. They had good stock. Enjoy!

5. Sumnerj

Sumnerj Aspirant (287) Nov 14, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Anyone seen double barrel imperial biscotti break in New Haven/Fairfield county yet? I’ve been looking and cannot find it. Wondering if it made it out yet or if i missed the drop

6. jtodeasa

Trader

Also at Amity for 46.99 which is not bad considering wholesale. They had nine bottles left today.

Sumnerj likes this.
  7. cosmicdebris

Good to know thanks ... I will stop tomorrow.

8. jaxon53

jaxon53 Meyvn (1,165) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Get me one!

cosmicdebris likes this.
  9. jtodeasa

Trader

Springdale's Pearly Wit cans hit distributors today, should see them on shelves soon. I figure most people are only interested in Good 'N' You? but do yourself a favor and try the Wit!

springdalebeer likes this.
  10. pbrian

pbrian Defender (689) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Sip was $12.99 at M&R in Glastonbury yesterday, I guess they got a shitload of it. I wonder if this will be the new price moving forward or only temporary.

11. red_goose_shoes

red_goose_shoes Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2018 Vermont

I live in Southern VT but go down to Wethersfield often to visit family.

Trying to figure out what CT craft beers to look for and good shops.

Ended up at CT Beverage Mart in Newington... found some stuff from Armada, Kent Falls, and Fat Orange Cat. But not having done the research ahead of time, wasn’t sure what to grab.

Into all sorts of IPAs but have honestly been shying away from doubles... been loving Burlington Brewing’s hazy IPAs but wouldn’t mind mixing that up.

Would also grab NY or MA beers that don’t make it up my way. I had some Industrial Arts Wrench in my hands and was also considering Evil Twin and Lord Hobo.

Ended up going home with some Sea Hag. I’m from CT originally and used to drink Sea Hag a bunch back in the day, but haven’t had it in years..

Anyways thoughts on what I should grab next time?

12. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (126) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut

Visit New Park over in West Hartford. Kent Falls, Armada, and FOC are good options to be found in stores. Thimble Island coffee stout is solid. Relic canned offerings tend to drink well. Other than that you really need to hit the local breweries.

red_goose_shoes likes this.
  13. PenningtonNY10

Look for Counter Weight Headway next time. Should be easy to find. That's the one-year-old brewery from the former head NEBCO brewer. I also consider anything Kent Falls a good purchase.

red_goose_shoes likes this.
  14. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Poo-Bah (1,869) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Has anyone had Coalesce from Steady Habit in cans? I picked up a fresh single about a month ago and it was awful. Bitter mess, a little lemony, bit of soap, no real hop flavor. I ended up drain pouring the last half. Won't buy from them again until I hear otherwise.

Any updates on Hermit Thrush showing up? I loved the Brattlebeer in the springtime when I was in Brattleboro.

15. PenningtonNY10

BranfordBound likes this.
  16. coteman6789

coteman6789 Initiate (45) Jan 22, 2016 Connecticut

Any good kolschs on shelves I should be on the lookout for? Had Capt Lawrence a while ago and enjoyed it. Looking to just break it up from the IPAs. Thanks!

17. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Aspirant (282) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut

Springdale cans hit distro this week. As far as I know, it's Good N' You, Yawp!, and Pearly Wit. Anderson Valley also dropped this week.

There's a very limited amount of Plan Bee's Barn Beer going out next week

18. cosmicdebris

Amity has more Sucaba in stock

19. PenningtonNY10

What's the going rate for Springdale cans?

20. Onemoresolo

IIRC, Pearly Wit is around $13, YAWP! is around $14, and Good N' You? is around $15. Oh, and Plan Bee Barn Beer should be under $10 a bottle if you can find it. I might just buy it all! :wink:

I've given up on Firestone limited releases because CT customers don't care about their year-round stuff. If you want your local store to get the limited stuff, you have to help them by supporting those core brands. Firestone is especially tough because the packaging is grey and dull, and they're on the other coast...

<rant>
    I just don't understand why these brands come into this market with those godawful cardboard boxes. Even Two Roads doesn't get it. People wants to see the cans! The sad truth is that a Pak-Tech holder and some colorful cans are all you need. It's a tactile thing! When breweries don't do market research, this is what you get. Their thought is that a box guarantees proper facing on the shelf, but any store who gives at least a fraction of a shit will make sure cans are rotated in such a way that their labels are facing forward. We all want the same thing, to get beer in peoples' hands.
    </rant>

von_kaiser, jaxon53, CTHopman and 3 others like this.
  21. ppaauull

ppaauull Initiate (34) Nov 3, 2017 Connecticut

CT beverage mart has big money stout 2, wrench, and that oude lambic sht I cant remember the name of that everyone goes nuts over.

22. jtodeasa

Trader

De Cam?

23. ppaauull

24. beanoboy7

beanoboy7 Initiate (186) Jun 22, 2014 Connecticut

Is KBS dropping today?

25. bootdown21

bootdown21 Disciple (362) May 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Historically it's been a week later for CT.

26. yankeeewine

yankeeewine Initiate (22) Oct 3, 2007 Connecticut

Fairfield county Monday

27. ppaauull

Kbs has hit. Just got 2 bottles from m&r glastonbury and I know manchester wine and liquor has a 2 pp too.

28. cosmicdebris

Total Wine Milford yesterday (2) 4 pack per person limit $21.99 a 4 pack for KBS

keithmurray likes this.
  29. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

Southington Wine had 750s (or bomber?) of KBS for $21.99. Hard pass.

necoadam likes this.
  30. LMarchet

LMarchet Initiate (27) Aug 23, 2017 Connecticut

Can't seem to remember when it showed up last year, but has anyone seen Firestone Parabola yet? I was able to get two bottles last year and it was pretty damn good.

31. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (743) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Over in the "Beer Releases" forums there's a thread for the release.

April 7th at Firestone with limited distribution to follow.

Cheers

ILOVESTOUTS and LMarchet like this.
  32. necoadam

necoadam Defender (697) Jan 1, 2004 Connecticut

Now we're getting close to the prices of bourbon!

33. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,732) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Coastal in Branford had 22 oz bottles for 19.99 today on the shelf.

34. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (743) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

I was in there yesterday about 5pm and saw almost a case of 4pks on the shelf below at $22.99.

On another note, while browsing saw Beerd cans in cooler for the 1st time and quite fresh. Buddy and I purchased 8 days a week canned 4/3 ($13.99) which was nothing mind blowing but solid. Also grabbed a 3/29 ($14.99) canning of Frank n Berry. Not good at all, watery and thin with a weird tea like flavor. Really weak looking/tasting beer. Meh.

35. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,732) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I was also surprised by the Beer'd cans at Coastal and bought frank n berry too....not excited after your description. Ill see how they are this week and hope for the best.

36. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (130) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

This has always bugged me a little. Aren't tie-in sales illegal? Why haven't any distributors been nailed for this?

37. Shwilly_Vanilli

Shwilly_Vanilli Initiate (156) Dec 20, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Not illegal. Conditional selling is illegal, which by definition is “if you buy X and Y, you can also buy Z”. The practice you’re referring to is rewarding accounts who support the brand in a general sense, without specific purchase requirements in place.

Onemoresolo likes this.
  38. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (130) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

They can call it that, but the law doesn't mention anything about requiring them to buy specific items, it proscribes any inducements to buy liquor to purchase other liquor.

"No permittee or group of permittees licensed under the provisions of this chapter, in any transaction with another permittee or group of permittees, shall directly or indirectly offer, furnish or receive any free goods, gratuities, gifts, prizes, coupons, premiums, combination items, quantity prices, cash returns, loans, discounts, guarantees, special prices or other inducements in connection with the sale of alcoholic beverages or liquors. No such permittee shall require any purchaser to accept additional alcoholic liquors in order to make a purchase of any other alcoholic liquor. "

39. Onemoresolo

That's not what that means. The law basically prevents it all happening at once. Like, "order 50 cases of Founders All Day 15pks for tomorrow, and we'll sell you a case of KBS too." When those types of releases come around, distributors are looking for organic, sustained support.

Also, think about it: For example, if the distributor gets 5 cases of something like Parabola, who's going to get it? Is it going to be some mom & pop store who doesn't carry Firestone Walker, or is it going to be the store that readily sells through multiple Firestone Walker SKUs? Where would it make more sense to go: the place where it's going to sit on the shelf, or the place where brand-loyal customers will scoop everything up in a matter of days?

This situation comes up over and over on here, and I don't understand why it isn't obvious. In a world of infinite supply, sure, send stuff everywhere. But that's not our scenario.

lic217 likes this.
  40. Keithengelke

Keithengelke Initiate (190) Jun 23, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Does anyone know if CT will get popeworks emerald grouper bottles? I know it was released at the brewery and stores in Wisconsin this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.