What's on the shelves CT?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Evmo31, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Evmo31

Evmo31 Aspirant (259) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Trying something new here, we have all these "lookout" threads, and "now available" threads for us CT guys. I thought it might be a good idea to have a place to post good finds/ releases without having to start new threads, or sift through all the different specific threads. So if you stumble on something good at your local packy and want to let other BA's know that it is around then throw up a post, for instance:

Just picked up foley brothers prospect, i believe it is the first time it has been available in southern CT, and it is tasting fantastic!

Has anyone seen allagash nancy around yet?

PatrickCT and Homebrew like this.
  2. Jmr85

Jmr85 Aspirant (291) Nov 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Haven't seen nancy yet, but I to found Foley brothers prospect and also saw some cascade (pricey but they make some solid wild ales)

Evmo31 likes this.
  3. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (183) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Nice idea. Didn't know Prospect was in CT distro. Need to go hunting!

emount91 and Evmo31 like this.
  4. skleice

skleice Aspirant (226) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I haven't seen Nancy, but while we're on the topic. Can anybody recommend good sours that are readily available in CT stores? I've been getting more into the tart/sour thang but I'm kind of lost in terms of what's out there. Also interested in Berliner Weisse.

5. Evmo31

Beer Trader

Readily available i think I would go with crooked stave. If you like berliner weiss i bet nebco will do weiss trash sometime soon again. If you stop at yankee after your treehouse trips maybe try some almanac.

YS1977 likes this.
  6. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Initiate (172) Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Crooked stave, Tilquin Oude gueuze, Capt. Lawrence rosso and hops n roses and trinity red swing line I've seen in the past week

7. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (183) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Berliner wise OECs Exilis has to be one of the best examples of style. On the shelf, haven't seen much.

As for sours, Alvienne and Hannsens are available at my local regularly. Urban Family has also come to CT recently with nice tart refreshing offerings.

8. xanok

xanok Disciple (369) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Been seeing Allagash Century Ale and Weyerbacher Riserva around.

9. Evmo31

Beer Trader

I was going to say tilquin, but I haven't seen that around for awhile. Always regret not buying more of that.

PatrickCT likes this.
  10. skleice

skleice Aspirant (226) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Thanks everyone....gonna get hunting!

TheIPAHunter likes this.
  11. Homebrew

Homebrew Devotee (434) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Where in CT? Have nancycsitting on the shelf

12. Evmo31

Beer Trader

New haven area, my local store must have missed out on that one. I might have to head out your way!

13. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Disciple (337) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Perhaps those are old bottles of Nancy? As far as I know, Nancy hasn't dropped in CT yet this year. I just talked to the sales rep yesterday, still haven't come into the warehouse. We took in Century Ale about 3 weeks ago.

Let see... huge Omnipollo and Stillwater drops this week: A new batch of Omnipollo Nautilus (tasty blueberry/vanilla sour), Symzonia (imp. stout) and a new IPA, Aurora, that looks friggin' ridiculous:

[​IMG]

Stillwater's Gose Gone Wild just came in, as well as another batch of Superhop and On Fleek.

As far as good CT sours: We have Cascade (Apricot and a bunch of others are dropping next week), Crooked Stave, Kent Falls/Grimm Lightning Fields, the Paradox Skully Barrel series (two new ones next week), the aforementioned Omnipollo Nautilus, the Bruery Terreux beers, and I'd be remiss without mentioning Jack's Abby Cranberry Berliner. It's like $3.99 for a 16.9oz bottle. Super tasty, very well-executed, balanced sourness/acidity.

Rodenbach Alexander hasn't hit CT yet, but it should be here soon hopefully. Dunno if the whole state will see it though. I know that the Lindemans/Mikkeller SpontanBasil only made it to the New Haven area. Hopefully we don't see a repeat of that.

14. Evmo31

Beer Trader

I was able to pick up alexander a few weeks ago.

15. happyreefer

happyreefer Aspirant (213) Jun 17, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

When it comes to Tilquin, they recently posted an image of quite a few pallets heading for the US. This includes Mure! Also, if anyone has leads to Nancy being available in Northern CT it would be much appreciated!

16. mrz200

mrz200 Aspirant (220) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

CT locals know about these two I'm sure, but I was recently re-directed from SoS to Relic Flaxen Foal...I thought that was a fantastic IPA. very nice balance of juice & pine without being a rip off of either style. Definitely going to snag that the next time I'm in CT.

dd43 and marcdalke like this.
  17. Arminius757

Arminius757 Aspirant (241) Aug 29, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Sip of Sunshine is starting to pop up everywhere. Also, the new Total Wine in WeHa is selling 4pks of Evil Twin pint cans for $9.99. Just got me some Jesus and Breakfast.

18. pbrian

pbrian Zealot (539) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

That beer looks ridiculous alright, ridiculously gross.

GaryChalmers likes this.
  19. BiffWoodentree

BiffWoodentree Initiate (142) Oct 16, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

any other spottings for foley brothers ? around new haven county area.

20. Ultra-Plinian

Ultra-Plinian Disciple (372) Mar 1, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Nancy can now be found in CT. They have it at CT Bev in Wallingford. Cheers!

Evmo31 and happyreefer like this.
  21. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Disciple (351) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

It is

[​IMG]

22. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Initiate (172) Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Found this years batch of Baxter Bootleg Fireworks today

23. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Disciple (337) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yep, Baxter Bootleg ships out this week. Also making their way to CT shelves:

• Evil Twin Even More Jesus and Imp. Biscotti Break 4pk cans. Dunno why it took so long since they're brewed @ Two Roads, but whatever.
    • Singlecut Billy 18 Watt
    • Huge Cascade delivery. Apricot, Strawberry, Blueberry, Manhattan, and perhaps a Sang of sorts? I forget, I just ordered Apricot
    • Lagunitas Aunt Sally finally came to CT last week. Tasty
    • New Holland Incorrigible Reserve. Inexpensive sour aged on blueberries and blackberries in white wine barrels.
    • Maine Beer II (Maine Beer Thank You should be coming down here soon too. Super limited)
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

BibsBrewing, Evmo31 and cosmicdebris like this.
  24. Jmr85

Beer Trader

Don't yell at me but I didn't feel like making a new thread for this. Maybe we can change the title to new on shelves and breweries? Totally forgot about broad brooks release with cigar city -made in the shade, looks like it's getting some solid reviews on untappd....anyone try it yet?

25. mrz200

mrz200 Aspirant (220) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

only made one stop in CT today, Berlin Spirits, but picked up the following:

Sip of Sunshine (have to ask), 6/9 canning;
    Pioneer IPA, 6/17 canning;
    Fat Tire!!!! hooray. 12 pack of cans are $16.99. also had Ranger IPA, Tangerine IPA and Watermelon something.

Store is awesome.

26. Sam_Squire

Sam_Squire Initiate (119) Dec 21, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

No need for a new thread, all cans went out to stores. FYI my local only got a case and the brewery is draft only. It's definitely solid. Judging by your avatar i think you will enjoy it!

27. Jmr85

Beer Trader

@Sam_Squire Thanks!!!! One of my favorite beers and beer cans of all time! Didn't realize cans were going out to stores (thought they were being sold at brewery like juggernaut) stopped at my local packy today in simsbury aND didn't see it so hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. I'd love to try it! Cheers!!!

28. GaryChalmers

GaryChalmers Aspirant (276) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

How the hell did Broad Brook and Cigar City connect?!

29. Jmr85

Beer Trader

Lol I was wondering the same thing

30. Shyla987

Shyla987 Aspirant (244) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber

This article explains:

http://www.ctnow.com/food-drink/ctn...-on-made-in-the-shade-ipa-20160601-story.html

Broad Brook co-founder and president Eric Mance said the breweries' relationship began before he and his partners opened the East Windsor business in October 2013. He was visiting Tampa and stopped into Cigar City, and began speaking with Wambles and founder Joey Redner about his upcoming project. "I was firing questions at them...they were so open," he said.
    The brewery representatives kept in "light contact" over the years, Mance said, and when the Broad Brook team considered creating a collaboration brew, Cigar City "was the first [brewery] that came to mind. They've helped us so much."

Pisthetaerus, Robtobfest and Evmo31 like this.
  31. Evmo31

Beer Trader

Thats awesome, props to cigar city. I might have to seek this beer out and buy it just to support breweries like this.

32. GaryChalmers

Subscriber Beer Trader

But did Wambles ever try Hopstillo...

Pisthetaerus likes this.
  33. Evmo31

Beer Trader

Might be a little late, but i saw a few bottles of prospect and citrenial at madison wine exchange. They jacked up the price pretty high though.

34. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (367) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Was excited to see this four pack. Unfortunately the beer is nothing like what is advertised on the can. Very toasty ipa. Not a bad beer at all just not what I expected by the description AT ALL

mlm61 likes this.
  35. SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman Disciple (383) May 24, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I bought a bottle of Alexander at least a month ago in Fairfield County. I know New Haven County had it even earlier than that.

36. AndrewUVM

AndrewUVM Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Bunch of Prospect on the shelf at Nutmeg liquor in Bethel.

37. BiffWoodentree

BiffWoodentree Initiate (142) Oct 16, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

thanks! i picked one up last week at total wine, it was 11.99.

38. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (184) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

GaryChalmers likes this.
  39. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (291) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Month old sip as a secret handshake beer? Maybe it's time for them to take it out of its hiding spot and put it out in the cooler. Who are they saving it for at that point?

40. GaryChalmers

Subscriber Beer Trader

Hooray for Von Trapp!

PatrickCT likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.