Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

What's on the shelves CT?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Evmo31, Jun 21, 2016.

1. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Aspirant (287) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

M&R Liquors in South Windsor had it for $11.99 a sixer, which I actually find to be a very good price. Hopefully it stays that way.

Bgar15 likes this.
  2. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Disciple (337) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Dropping this week: Pipeworks Lizard King and Glaucus(?), Jack's Abby Framinghammer, House Lager 15pks, Singlecut Weird & Gilly, Sixpoint Hi-Res, Relic DreamRise.

Next week: Jack's Abby Excess IPL and Jack's Abby Saxony (Vienna Lager)

PenningtonNY10 and bootdown21 like this.
  3. Jmr85

Jmr85 Aspirant (289) Nov 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Pipe works is now being distributed to ct? That's awesome news!

4. Onemoresolo

Beer Trader

Yup! Distro started just this month. So far we've seen, besides this week's drop, Blood of the Unicorn and Lil Citra. They shouldn't be too hard to find either; they're sending a decent amount of cases out, and the average CT craft beer customer has no idea who Pipeworks is so it's not an insta-sell-out.

---

And, as a semi-related side-note: the SoS hype getting even more insane by the week; it has gotten to the point where we'll have in stock two different Singlecut beers, two different Pipeworks 4pks, Jack's Abby Excess, Captain's Daughter, etc, and people still walk out because we don't have Sip of Sunshine. Our phones ring constantly on Wednesdays because people have figured out our delivery day. The worst part is, I've seen the pallets of it @ the HDI warehouse. There's more SoS in stock on any given day than friggin' Sixpoint or Troegs. It's scarcity marketing at its finest, and everyone plays right into it.

Something needs to change. We hope CT beer drinkers to expand their horizons, to drink more stouts, sours, saisons, Belgians, etc, in addition to IPAs.

If you walk in to a package store and happen to spot at 4pk of Sip, great! Snag it, enjoy it. But calling every store in a 20 mile radius is insane. CT is so WHALEZ-BRO, hop-focused it's disheartening to even order stuff from Allagash, Off Color, Blackberry Farm, The Bruery, Cascade, and the like. I do it because I personally enjoy those beers, and I hope the CT beer scene can come around to different styles in the not-so-distant future.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I just needed to vent. January is tough, lol.

/end rant

#444 Onemoresolo, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. von_kaiser

von_kaiser Defender (624) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

hey.....it's more stouts and sours for me as far as i'm concerned.

Robtobfest, sulldaddy and Onemoresolo like this.
  6. skleice

skleice Aspirant (226) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Sip is the most overrated beer imo. The fact that pallets are sitting in the warehouse explains why my last 4 pack was weeks old when it hit he shelf. I'll gladly take Singlecut (except the prices blow), Captains Daughter, etc over Sip any day.

I feel you on the other styles. My main stores are Putnam Plaza in EH or Tony's in Haddam (close to work). I like them because they have a huge variety from hops, stouts, Belgians, everything, etc. They also don't play games with all the limited stuff or gouge the hell out of you.

JBurd, Robtobfest and Onemoresolo like this.
  7. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (2,686) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Thank you for ordering a diverse beer selection. Soooo many IPAs out and pushed these days. I prefer to saddle up with a nice roasty dark imp stout anyday.
    Stay strong and know that we arent all hopheads here in CT!

keithmurray likes this.
  8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Aspirant (236) Sep 4, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Anyone else in here get to try Relic Leaf Storm in cans? I thought it had good flavor but tasted kind of flat, like it lacked the proper carbonation. Also found Hooker #No filter. Both at M&R in Avon. No filter reminds me of a Tree House Curiosity from a couple years ago. One with a cantaloupe/melon sort of flavor. Definitely the better of these two finds.

9. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (290) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Not sure what their distribution plans, but Counterweight has registered can labels for 5 beers:

Workhouse Pilsner (5.0%)
    Void Oatmeal Stout (7.0%)
    Space Coyote IPA (6.0%)
    Spiral Architect DIPA (8.2%)
    Headway IPA (6.5%)

MikeM417, marcdalke, smutty33 and 4 others like this.
  10. RyD213

RyD213 Initiate (118) Oct 9, 2012 Connecticut

Did i miss the dinosmores rush? Any still available, preferably somewhere between new haven area and the bridgeport area?

11. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (183) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

I saw month old Sip in the cooler at Willowbrook in Cromwell today. Crazy.

12. LoganB

LoganB Initiate (108) Jun 10, 2016 Connecticut

I heard HDI will be distributing for them up here. Also that there will be a "package store" only line of beers, and brewery only releases which I find pretty neat.

13. GaryChalmers

GaryChalmers Aspirant (275) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I know patience is a virtue but man, I want Counterweight open now!

14. dd43

dd43 Crusader (742) Sep 1, 2014 Connecticut

There are some bottles (sold individually) at Turnpike Spirits in Fairfield, not quite in your designated area but adjacent!

15. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Disciple (345) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Any news on Dogfish Head Olde School in New Haven / Fairfield counties yet? It has been in Hartford county now for weeks.

16. jaxon53

jaxon53 Meyvn (1,125) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Where is this store? I'm on my way!

17. GaryChalmers

Beer Trader

Looked like 2 cases of #NoFilter at Willowbrook in Cromwell.

Pretty good; little bit catty, lots of orange marmalade.

Wish the new Pilsner was around.

skleice likes this.
  18. Ridgerunner

Beer Trader

Picked up some Back East Unicorn Farm today. Excellent Nelson sauvin IPA. Seems like anything brewed with that hop comes out awesome.

19. skleice

Beer Trader

Plenty of Dinosmores in 4 packs ($21.99) at Putnam in EH. Also, Founders Imperial has landed.

20. skleice

Beer Trader

Pilsner was in the cooler at Putnam too!

GaryChalmers likes this.
  21. von_kaiser

Beer Trader

Anyone seeing Frootwood yet?

22. PatrickKellyCT

PatrickKellyCT Aspirant (236) Nov 19, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Any Nugget Nectar sightings yet?

23. TwinCam

TwinCam Initiate (123) Jan 14, 2014 Connecticut

Kay"s posted nugget nectar and Framinghammer porter 4pks in stock. Grabbed some. Grabbed some hooker no filter there on Friday, they had a tasting. CT local brewery juice bomb iPas making there way into the market, which is awesome!

24. von_kaiser

Beer Trader

manchester W&L has it

25. oswald12

oswald12 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Connecticut

Was anyone in the Simsbury/Avon area able to grab any No Filter last time around? Heard there's another distribution run this week and I'm wondering who carries it.

26. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (156) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

From Lawson's recent post regarding expansion:
    Connecticut

Starting in February 2017, an expanded supply of cans and kegs of Sip of Sunshine IPA & Super Session #2 will begin rolling out to our wonderful fans in Connecticut. Thanks to our relationship with Two Roads Brewing in Stratford, CT, we brew Lawson’sFinest Sip of Sunshine IPA and Super Session #2 locally and deliver it cold and fresh throughout the state with Hartford Distributors Inc. and Star Distributing.

27. Ridgerunner

Beer Trader

Found it at M&R last time.

28. Onemoresolo

Beer Trader

Highlights and oddities from this week's 12% Imports drop:

• Evil Twin - La Flama Blanca Gose 22oz
    • Stillwater - GGW Phuket 4pk 12oz
    • Stillwater - Toats Gone Wild 22oz
    • Off Color - Hellbroth 750mL
    • Blackberry Farm - King of Falling Fruit 750mL
    • Blackberry Farm - Native Series: Roasted Cherry Stout 375mL
    • Omnipollo - Bianca Mango Lassi Gose 4pk btls (11.2oz?)
    There might be more coming later this week, we shall see. There's also a limited amount of New Belgium's Abbey Ale and Trippel going out this week, if anyone cares about that, lol.

29. Arminius757

Arminius757 Aspirant (241) Aug 29, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Is Framingham starting to make its rounds?
    Also, second on any Frootwood spottings.
    From what it's worth, as of Sunday I found a few packs of SoS sitting in the fridge of Storrs Wine and Spirits. Only downside is that they seem to be old from the beginning of the month. Cost was around $24 a 4 pack.

30. von_kaiser

Beer Trader

frootwood did land at a few more east of the river spots yesterday (manchester - e. hrtfd). should start seeing more of today and throughout the week.

31. PatrickKellyCT

PatrickKellyCT Aspirant (236) Nov 19, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Love, love, love that GGW is in 4-packs now.

32. lic217

lic217 Champion (839) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Saw footnote, Hop stooped 6 packs, sip of sun, founder's imperial stout all at total wine in west Hartford. Plenty of all of them.

Anyone see Von Trapp variety packs lately? I have not see any dated after the end of october and I am starting to get nervous (probably my favorite beer purchase).

33. GaryChalmers

Beer Trader

Had my local store order the variety packs earlier this month - believe the bottle dates were all late November. Possibly the greatest 12 pack.

lic217 likes this.
  34. skleice

Beer Trader

Hope u left the Sip on the shelf...

VABA likes this.
  35. Arminius757

Arminius757 Aspirant (241) Aug 29, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Oh I did. It's right on campus so they are known to have the priceses jacked up quite a bit... especially with the age of it. They don't have a lot of turn around given the audience around here. Plus I'm a little IPA'd out..

skleice likes this.
  36. ianous

ianous Initiate (148) Oct 26, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Pisthetaerus and GaryChalmers like this.
  37. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (156) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Not exactly laughable. "Normal" price is $22.99. Less than a "10%" packy markup, assuming you can find it. $24 4 pack of SoS. Well, that gets a real belly laugh!

38. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (199) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I know one store that hates it so much they've gotten to the point where can spot a sip hunter a mile a way and just point to the back cooler where they put it. Even jacked the price up couple dollars just to see what would happen (it still sold out instantly).

39. pbrian

pbrian Zealot (536) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

This is a beautiful thing. Picked one up last night at normal six pack pricing, I think it was 10.99. Nice to see a nice old fashioned bitter IPA next to all the fruit juice in the coolers these days.

Onemoresolo and lic217 like this.
  40. lic217

lic217 Champion (839) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I would take it over any treehouse or trillium hoppy beer I have had in the last year.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.