What's on the shelves in Connecticut? (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by PenningtonNY10, Jan 7, 2019.

1. jaxon53

jaxon53 Meyvn (1,370) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Society

Definitely agree on the Chinooker'd! Yeah, I picked up a four pack of Maple Nipple. I liked it. I was happy with the hint of maple... Not a daily drinker, but it was ok. I guess I was happy to see a new beer in the cooler that wasn't a fucking hazy juice bomb.... My opinion of course..

2. jaxon53

Society

Cost Cutter in Plainfield has Victory Hop Wallop..

Lucasdia likes this.
  3. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Aspirant (281) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut

My store was one of FOC's original distribution points back in 2017. It began with me going to the brewery and picking up cases for the store, but eventually we were getting 10-15cs drops nearly every week. We moved through EVERYTHING, including crowlers, and had a great relationship with their whole crew.

And then, nothing. No more deliveries, no more communication, no more beer. Nobody @ FOC has ever responded to the emails/texts/PMs/etc that I sent out over the course of months, and we've had customers asking nearly every day.

They still send beer out to other stores even farther than ours, and as you've all mentioned, other states, so I just don't understand what happened.

Lucasdia and zeile33 like this.
  4. pbrian

pbrian Defender (648) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Counter Weight Crucial Mass is dropping if Hartford county today, at least it was just delivered in Glastonbury. Same price as Headway! $10.99/4 Can't wait to try later.

jaxon53 likes this.
  5. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Initiate (144) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

Going to run into Max Bev after work to see. Thanks for the heads up, my fridge is empty!

pbrian likes this.
  6. augiecarton

augiecarton Initiate (183) Oct 22, 2010 New Jersey
    Industry

on to the next one, putting Smell Like I Sound next to This Beer Rhymes With Orange let me know how it hits your feels

epoole3, Glazoo, tgould55 and 6 others like this.
  7. plliw

plliw Initiate (1) Jan 8, 2019

Omnipollo Devin and AON are out there! Alongside a fresh drop of Dugges Tropic Punch, one of my all-time favorites from the 12% gang.

Lucasdia likes this.
  8. Jmr85

Jmr85 Aspirant (246) Nov 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Awesome to see Carton beers here in CT!!! And I love the videos you guys are putting out to describe each beer your releasing. I’ll be looking for this

augiecarton likes this.
  9. TreeHouse_Erection

Sounds like a great hop mix. If I see any around I’ll grab a 4 pack for sure

augiecarton likes this.
  10. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (707) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Hey Augie,

I've yet to see a single can in the wild here in New Haven County. Upon asking about availability this past weekend, I was told not available. HDI/ Hartford county only. Bummer if this is the case.

True?

11. augiecarton

augiecarton Initiate (183) Oct 22, 2010 New Jersey
    Industry

shouldn't be true, if you have a place that wants some just have them hit me in a message on that FB page (or here i guess) and i will bounce it over to the distributor. we are trying to find the right mix of places around the state for all of our shenanigans, and that takes time and careful curation please share if you have cool spots that understand quaffing sours and fruited smoked cascadian darks, as much and plush ipa's please send them our way

Lucasdia, smutty33 and Jmr85 like this.
  12. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (288) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

I can only assume this was when they switched from Shebeen (and self-distribution?) to 12% distro and brewing out of Dorchester.

13. tsir

tsir Initiate (15) Jan 17, 2019 District of Columbia

Showed up at Southington Wine today. The salsman messed up, should have been there Monday. Glastonbury needs to look at their pricing, a price mistake was made at HDI on the first batch. It should be $1-2 higher than Headway.

Lucasdia and Onemoresolo like this.
  14. Onemoresolo

Yup! I realize that 12% handles distro outside of CT, but they're still responsible for in-state distro. It's just brutal to see their beer going to North Carolina and Minnesota and knowing that it sells because of the reputation CT locals helped build. Its a slap in the face, especially since it's contract-brewed. But ultimately, it's just beer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But in good news, Cigar City will be in CT 4/1. Their Oskar Blues collab, Bamburana, drops next week. That's the BA imperial stout with figs, and amburana wood spirals. Oh, and Back East sent out limited amounts of Suzy Greenberg and Infinite Galaxies.

Lucasdia and Jmr85 like this.
  15. pbrian

Yeah, went back last night and it was $12.99, still a bargain

16. Lucasdia

Lucasdia Initiate (42) Jan 20, 2018 Connecticut
    Industry Trader

Just got some crucial mass in, this beer is fantastic. I expect nothing less than the best from the creators of my favorite go to beers. Headway still stands up to all the other hop bombs on the shelves these days.

pbrian likes this.
  17. Beardaxe

Beardaxe Initiate (46) Sep 29, 2014 Connecticut

As a native son of Tampa this is cool news to see. Any idea if it’s just the core (jai alai, Florida cracker, Maduro) or if we’ll get some of the goodies like Zhukov, white oak jai alai etc.? I would love to be able to pick up cubano espresso brown ale every now and then.

keithmurray likes this.
  18. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (136) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Despite CC soon to distribute to the Northeast, I believe CT and RI were NOT included. I think the CC/OB collab is sneaking into CT under the guise of OB. Perhaps @Onemoresolo can comment.

19. TreeHouse_Erection

Maximum beverage is the biggest store within 5 miles of me. They had no crucial mass which was whatever. However, I stopped into Big Buy liquors which is this tiny whole in the wall next to a starbucks and big y and they had about 7 4-packs of crucial mass along with some other good stuff including Carton DIPA, which sad to say was from October so I had to pass on it. Idk how this little place had more quality IPAs than the big store but its great because it’s less than half a mile from my house.

Btw, Crucial Mass is awesome

Lucasdia likes this.
  20. Beardaxe

Beardaxe Initiate (46) Sep 29, 2014 Connecticut

Ah yeah, I think you're right once I read back through the original comment. Guess I jumped the gun with my excitement.

21. DrinkingThe413

DrinkingThe413 Initiate (46) Jan 29, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've definitely seen white oak Jai Alai in MA recently...so hopefully that means y'all in CT will see it too. Don't know if I've seen Zhukov around though.

22. Onemoresolo

Like I said, Cigar City launches 4/1, the collab drops this week. My sources are high up @ Mancini Beverage.

Also, it sounds like Shelton Brothers might be finally heading our way. Mikkeller posted a job on Indeed looking to hire a brand rep in the New Haven area. Can't wait to buy cases of Fantome for myself. :wink:

jtodeasa and PenningtonNY10 like this.
  23. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,309) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Muthaphuqqa say what??? When is this gonna happen?

24. Onemoresolo

Welp, looks like it's just Mikkeller for now. Not yet, no ETA either.

Lucasdia likes this.
  25. Onemoresolo

So I reached out to Shelton Brothers out of curiosity because of the Mikkeller distro news and received this response:
    I would imagine that, besides of their deep-seeded hatred for B. United, they realize they'd probably get crushed by the current climate of 'local beer is best beer.' People just aren't buying wacky saisons and Belgian 750mL bottles like they used to.

Hopefully the culture comes around and embraces more diverse beer and not just juice bomb IPAs. Going to Fox Farm and seeing scores of people drinking their farmhouse stuff gives me hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

26. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (136) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Scores<hordes. Saisons<NEIPAs. Just the state of where we are now. Further, as good as OEC is and with the backing of B. United, they still haven't overwhelmed the market. The market likely isn't just there. Don't necessarily agree with SB, but can't blame their reluctance at this point.

27. Lucasdia

Industry Trader

Whats everyone's favorite deal or go to beer on the shelves these days? With all of the super thick double dry hopped IPA's out right now I have been enjoying Bell's Two Hearted more recently to escape.

28. lic217

lic217 Champion (839) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Bought a six pack of nugget nectar and it tastes great.

Lucasdia likes this.
  29. pedrom45

pedrom45 Initiate (16) Dec 29, 2017 Connecticut

Same, been picking up 12 packs of two hearted, nice change of pace

Lucasdia likes this.
  30. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (159) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Jack's Abby's Post Shift pilsner is my go to when I want something that isn't too pricy or an IPA. Today I picked up Jack's Abby's Citra Brau, kind of a hoppy pils. I really like it. I love JA's affordable six packs/16 ounce cans of pilsner. What a deal, especially when I see $12/14 four packs of pilsners out there.

31. pbrian

I second any and all of JA beers, all quality beers at a good price. Also Von Trapp if you're looking for a palate rester type of lager line up. Go to IPA's that aren't DDH hazy juice bombs in expensive four packs- Sea Hag, Counterweight Headway, and yes, Bell's Two Hearted. Also nice to have Sierra Nevada Resistance out there. Throw in a 12 pack of Long Trail VT IPA or Founder's Centennial every now and again and you really never have to spend more than $10.99 a six or four pack, and I rarely do.

32. Lucasdia

Industry Trader

I feel that, i tried it this year and enjoyed it. All of these big name seasonals that i used to blow through all the time have been really relaxed this year. Like Hopslam was fantastic for the week it was available as it disappeared rather quickly, but the other main seasonals i used to buy religiously have just lost their panache

lic217 likes this.
  33. TreeHouse_Erection

Headway is the go-to when you can’t find something you went in intending to buy.

I’ll have to revisit Jacks Abbey. I liked their leisure time lager when I had it a few years ago. Also had one of their IPLs, not sure which one though - probably hopius union or whatever it’s called

Lucasdia likes this.
  34. Onemoresolo

I just got word this morning that Wormtown is coming to CT in June. Cool?

35. pbrian

That would have been cool 5 years ago. Not so much today.

36. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (68) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Wouldn't mind some Be Hoppy to cleanse the juice and adjuncts from time to time.

37. Lucasdia

Industry Trader

I remember liking both their Mast Rising IPL and their Kiwi Rising IPL too

38. pbrian

I’m seeing some FOC beers back on the shelves around here

39. jaxon53

Society

Did we get Mikkeller in the past?

40. jaxon53

Society

Cost Cutter in Plainfield has a few Capt. Lawrence $20 + 4 packs of milkshake IPA's whose names escapes me....