Whats one country you have never tried beer from, yet would like to.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaney

Chaney Apr 20, 2006 District of Columbia

2. BostonHops

BostonHops Sep 21, 2011 Massachusetts

wasn't pangaea supposedly brewed with antarctica water?
  3. endovelico

endovelico Jul 25, 2008 Portugal

Palestine. I hear their beers are the bomb.
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Yeah, I remember a few different canned UK ales in the US at the time, and priced quite nicely ($1.99 for 500ml.) I think my favorite was Gales HSB. I remember talking to retailer about ordering a case for me but it was no longer available (long before Gales was taken over by Fullers).
  5. Gregfalone

Gregfalone Sep 5, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

As outlandish as it may sound, as an American, I don't think I've ever had a CANADIAN beer?!?! I love Canadians... Do they make any good beers?
    Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Until construction begins, you'll probably have to settle for one named Antarctica.

fmccormi and Stinkypuss like this.
  7. Derranged

Derranged Mar 7, 2010 New York

I have no idea. Someone on this site would know though.
  8. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

9. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Feb 26, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Macedonia, because then I will have tasted a beer from the entire former Yugoslavia.
    Oh wait... screw you Montenegro, and probably Kosovo. All this noncyberbalkanizing is ruining my careful planning.

Whatever, I'll just say Latvia and go for that area instead. I mean, I've already got Estonia, Lithuania and Russia. Hopefully they don't start Balticizing or something.
  10. deathevocation

deathevocation Nov 7, 2008 Australia

Interesting thread. I think the posters who selected NZ are smart. Vietnam is a great country to visit, though it's beer is all run of the mill lager (and to the poster who has judged Australian beer based on drinking a Tooheys New, I'm glad I didn't do the same thing with US beer after drinking Budweiser).
    fmccormi likes this.
  11. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

You spelt that wrong, it's actually

Crazy place names in Wales I know.
  12. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

4 Ynys Dawel, Solva, United Kingdom. Lived there as a kid. Went back a few years ago and visited some old haunts/pubs (of my dad's) as well as some new places (Sloop Inn in Porthgain for one). Wouldn't mind going back (to kind of answer the OP's question).
  13. CwrwAmByth

Pembrokeshire is lovely, must have been a great place to grow up. Awesome beaches. Lacking in decent breweries however, unfortunately.
  14. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Jul 4, 2005 Ohio

After reading your post, I'm going to listen to Soap Bar and Guns Don't Kill People, Rappers Do right now!
    wesbray likes this.
  15. pixieskid

pixieskid Jun 4, 2009 Germany

Have had some crazy beers from Africa; funky/wild as shit...one if which was not half bad. The fact that it came in a plastic water bottle (they don't normally bottle it since it is for local consumption only) made it all that much better...
  16. pixieskid

pixieskid Jun 4, 2009 Germany

You are in for a treat my friends. Both France and Italy are producing some solid stuff that include classic styles and their versions of american styles...hit me up if you are ever venturing to France!
    fmccormi likes this.
  17. yamar68

yamar68 Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

If you ask me, the best beer in Vietnam is a Bia Hoi served over a chunk of ice on any busy street corner... best beer that 10 cents can buy, IMO.

fmccormi likes this.
  18. CwrwAmByth

19. Brunite

Brunite Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

20. fmccormi

fmccormi Oct 24, 2010 Maine
    Beer Trader

Next time I'm in France, I absolutely will take you up on that.
    pixieskid likes this.
  21. fmccormi

Beer Trader

22. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn May 27, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

joaopmgoncalves and fmccormi like this.
  23. fmccormi

Beer Trader

No, it really doesn't have many virtues :)
  24. Flightoficarus

Flightoficarus Jul 21, 2009 Washington

I'd have to say either Sweden or Finland. Based on what I've tried from Norway and Denmark, it would seem there's some pretty great craft beers coming out of Scandinavia these days. Too bad they can be tough to find/are expensive for the most part.
  25. schopenhauerale

schopenhauerale Dec 6, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

As far as I can tell, Brasserie Saint-Sylvestre from France has pretty wide distribution with 3 Monts and Gavroche, and I've seen Baladin beers from Italy in Missouri.

OP: Iceland or Sweden, mainly for Ölvisholt and Nils Oscar. And although Greenland is a part of Denmark, I'd love to try anything from Nanoq just for the novelty of it.
  26. canucklehead

canucklehead Mar 7, 2003 British Columbia (Canada)

I agree with Welsh beer as my mother is Welsh and nothing is ever exported to BC. New Zealand beer is now readily available in BC ( Epic just arrived) but I would love to see more Australian beers such as Feral in BC.
  27. falloutsnow

falloutsnow Oct 29, 2005 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I think I'd like to try a beer from Liechtenstein, they must have at least one brewery.
  28. 19etz55

19etz55 Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Being part Hungarian I would like to try Atilla Pils from Hungary.
  29. lucasj82

lucasj82 Aug 13, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

30. Eastside151

Eastside151 Jun 29, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Okells Isle of Man UK to acknowledge my Manx heritage.
    MAbeerNE1 likes this.
  31. papat444

papat444 Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

This one.
    Having read the BA article on them piqued my curiosity. Also, would like to try an African beer that isn't a pale lager. Some of them sound out there and good or not, always game to try something different.
  32. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

New Zealand. Hopefully from Mount Doom.
  33. Eastside151

Eastside151 Jun 29, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

you can't be serious...
  34. Robert_N

Robert_N Apr 10, 2012 United Kingdom (Wales)

Dude, you are missing out, Brains Dark on cask is awesome and pretty much THE beer of Cardiff traditionally.
    SA Gold is pretty tasty, cascade and styrian goldings.
    I am quite happy to have Brains as the regional brewer.
  35. beertunes

beertunes Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

North Dakota.
  36. loafinaround

loafinaround Jul 16, 2011 New York

czechoslovakia... I know the good stuff is never exported. I also want to experience it with the food... the smelly cheeses and meats :p
    herrburgess likes this.
  37. bylerteck

bylerteck May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'll be in Vietnam in about a month if somebody wants to set up a trade later.

fmccormi likes this.
  38. fmccormi

Beer Trader

Ha! That's awesome, man. Think I'll turn down a trade offer, though—from the sound of the article, part of what makes the beer interesting is how young and fresh it is, and I believe none of it's bottled. But have a good trip!
  39. CwrwAmByth

I hate brains dark, it has a weird off taste from most pubs I've had it from. Acceptable from the bottle but still not as good as most milds. Could be worse like Greene king or just no ale at all though I guess.
  40. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

The Isle of Man is in fact not part of the UK (it isn't even in the EU!) which allows it to have its own laws .One is the Pure Beer Act of 1874 which only allows malt, hops, sugar,water and yeast to be used in brewing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!