What's The Beer That Got You Here?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BethanyB, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Providence

Providence Champion (822) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Magic Hat sparked the fire back in 2002/2003. Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball threw gas on it in 2007/2008.

2. DirkDeadeye

DirkDeadeye Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2013 Florida

Leffe. I drove to a beer store and asked for a good beer for someone who wants to get into good beer he put a 6 pack of leffe on the counter and said this is your portal to good beer my friend..That was like 10 years ago. I remember coming here after I drank what I thought was nectar from the gods. I read the reviews of my favorite beers like amberbock and yungeling black and tan..oh man, I didn't come back. Until pretty recently when I discovered there are about 20 brew pubs around me here in Florida. When the import section looked kind of boring. When the domestic stuff got me excited.

3. Bustersuess

Bustersuess Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2013 New York

Fat Tire.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  4. CValle1975

CValle1975 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2011 Virginia

getting stationed in germany back in 1999. fell in love with hefeweizens.

5. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,232) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Pilsner Urquell, back in the 1980's

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  6. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 Illinois

Sam Adams Boston Lager

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  7. FinchSCF

FinchSCF Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Michigan

Guiness on draft and Magic Hat #9 got me into the fold. It was when I first had Breakfast Stout that I took a serious dive into trying whatever I could get my hands on.

Carl_R likes this.
  8. wintergreen13

wintergreen13 Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2010 Oregon

There were a couple of different stages, but I would say that the very first was when a buddy of mine offered me a Sam Adams Boston Lager for the first time when I was in college in northwestern Ohio. It quickly became our beer of choice, but I probably would have been happy just drinking this and the occasional Newcastle if it wasn't for Dogfish Head's 60 Min IPA. The summer between my junior and senior years the little liquor store near my house had sixers of 60 Min on sale for $4.99 all summer. Not being one to pass on a deal like that, even if it was a beer I'd never tried, I bought some, then promptly went back for many more. Was the perfect refreshing beer for the humid Ohio weather, and led me to Bell's, Great Lakes, and, eventually, here!

9. equinox1

equinox1 Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 Wisconsin

I am very proud to say my grandfather got me hooked. He brewed a wonderful oatmeal stout that he called his holiday beer. In 1981 when I turned 18 he taught me how to brew. Sadly he is gone but I carry on his holiday tradition. His oatmeal stout is in the fermenter and then into the bottles to age till thanksgiving and Christmas. Cheers grandpa.

10. Baab200

Baab200 Aspirant (290) Jan 9, 2013 New York

Ommegang Three Philosophers! Wasn't even in to craft beer but received as a random stocking stuffed from my wife one Christmas. Good thing for me is whenever she yells that I'm buying to much beer I always tell her that it was her fault.

11. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

In college in the early 90's a good buddy just made a beer run and handed me a Saranac Black and Tan and told me he tried it the other night and loved it. I trusted him and after one sip was like woah!!! What was that rich malty goodness! It was such a change from cheap watery beer! It had such intense flavor at the time(although I have to admit I was pretty high so senses were heightened) it command my immediate interest in a more flavorful option for beer. It has been all good from there!

12. EdelweissDad

EdelweissDad Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2012 Georgia

Bell's Two-Hearted

13. ZachOfAllTrades

ZachOfAllTrades Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2012 Indiana

My first night of craft beer involved a 2006 Matilda and a Smuttynose Robust Porter. The Matilda was the bigger influence, though.

14. CurtisMcArthur

CurtisMcArthur Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2009 Tennessee

2009 Deschutes Abyss

15. BodiesLexus

BodiesLexus Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 New York

Papago Robusto Porter.

Haven't been in the area to have one since, but that and the other offerings that followed were my breakthrough after years (and years) of Labatt/Molson.

16. roger617

roger617 Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Indiana

My parents don't drink beer, so I think it was actually tequila that got me here.

17. jackdaddy

jackdaddy Initiate (90) Apr 10, 2010 Minnesota

Bell's Two Hearted. Still one of my favorites!

18. muletrane

muletrane Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2006 Pennsylvania

Ommegang Hennepin

19. Talbott92

Talbott92 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2013 North Carolina

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Drank the first bottle. Then Drain Poured the 2nd one. Which led me to google Sierra Nevada, which then led me to learn about craft beer, which got me spending loads of money on variety packs and now I can go from there. And funny thing is I was barely 21 didn't drink and had no interest in it at all.

20. timmy2b

timmy2b Savant (965) Jan 24, 2007 New York
    Trader

My buddy got a job as a saleman in NJ and told me about the site in late 2006. I joined in 2007 and the first beer that I reviewed was Leinenkugel's Red - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewery. Just got back into the site recently looking up Pipeworks beers for a trade from myself in Buffalo to a buddy in Chicago, and was pleasantly surprised to see the discussion board!

21. TheTinDoor

TheTinDoor Initiate (197) Aug 12, 2012 Maryland

Old Rasputin. I had tasted a brewpub oatmeal stout before and liked it....At an upscale place for dinner with my wife, i asked the waiter for a stout to drink with dessert. The meal was so-so (veal osso bucco, I believe) but I couldn't believe the depth of flavor coming out of the glass. Chocolate, coffee, vanilla.... Found a local bottle shop that did mixed sixer and sampled 100+ beers in my first year

22. GoodBeerFan2006

GoodBeerFan2006 Initiate (34) Jul 11, 2011 North Carolina

Pure and simple, SA Boston Lager! It was the summer of 2006, and I was at a cookout. I had always been a BMC drinker with the occasional Guinness sprinkled in, until that cookout. I had the Boston Lager before and didn't think much of it, but that day the switch flipped. I began trying different styles, and had a new appreciation for beer. By the way, as simple as my username may sound, it was inspired by my discovery of good beer in 2006 (I was a late bloomer I suppose). SA haters, please withhold comment:slight_smile:.

23. LeoPanna

LeoPanna Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2011 New York

Man, things got dark for a moment. It started in 2010 with my buddy saying, "You have to try the best beer in the world!". We were in Amsterdam, on tour with a jazz group, and he was talking about the Westvleteran 12 which is always available at a bar named Cafe Gollum. Before trying what turned out to be a life changing experience, I hated beer. All I knew was PBR, Corona and Coors Light. As far as I was concerned, beer tasted like piss. Fast forward to Spring 2012, I had tried hundreds of beers without pause. Living in NYC and touring Europe as a musician, the access to some of the best beer was and is overwhelming. I literally went on a beer tasting rampage, which was a fun but unhealthy choice in my life. After gaining a lot of weight, spending too much time by myself at 'hip' bars and powering through a couple nightmarish hangovers, I decided to quit drinking beer. Alas, the beer gods let go of their grip on my life. I realized that the mere amount of beer choices and my inability to pace myself in my quest to try the world's best beers was the reason for my epic downfall... Fast forward to 2013, I'm drinking a Founders Breakfast Stout with a couple different Troegs bottles waiting for me. Fuck it, you only live once!

24. roger617

roger617 Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Indiana

Hey man, everyone has their own unique intro to craft beer. All I've got to say to yours is welcome and keep it safe and healthy!
    Cheers!
    Roger

jrnyc likes this.
  25. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Devotee (483) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

And your point is??? Sounds like a pretty normal lifestyle to me.

azorie likes this.
  26. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (972) Sep 4, 2010 California

Drinking too much can easily become a problem with physical and mental health, so I'm glad you acknowledged it when it became one. Cheers to balance and no reason give it up fully!

I also like when someone posts substance on here in the form of an important life story and everyone shits on it.

#226 Eriktheipaman, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  27. MPPHISH

MPPHISH Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2013 New York

Sounds like it may be the buzz and not the quality beer you are chasing. Ease up, but if you need to QUIT beer at any point, this may not be the hobby for you.

Listen to yourself, you do only live ONCE.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  28. the_trystero

the_trystero Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 California

Nowadays the only time I might overdo it is during beer fests with unlimited pours, especially if there is a wide variety of offerings available. It's more FOMO for me rather than wanting to get wasted.

29. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (2,111) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Society Trader

I go through phases with styles, but I also go through phases with consumption too. I don't think I had a beer for at least couple weeks now (whenever I last posted to What beer are you drinking now? thread). At the beginning when I caught the craft beer bug, I was buying and consuming too much.

30. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,273) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

All that specialty and Craft Beer making you go "WOW!" can be a pretty heady experience, but have you ever tried cheese? :sunglasses:

31. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

It's easy to be dazzled by beer once you feel you have discovered "the good beer." It's always new, always exciting. I have had almost 300 different beers in about a years time. Then you find a group of people like on BA who share your passion and right away you have everything you need to fuel this fire. The key is to let moderation be your rule of thumb. If finances aren't a good reign in on over consumption then worry about your weight and health. Beer is the cake you can have and eat too as long as you stick to two (a day=).

32. DrunkethWizard

DrunkethWizard Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

Drinking Founders Breakfast Stout in the morning and chasing them with Mad Elf doesn't really sound like being down in the dumps to me. -_-

33. Agalloch

Agalloch Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2013 Massachusetts

I tried many different beers before really getting into craft, I even tried Arrogant Bastard at a bar because of the name and abv. but at the time it was too flavor-full for me. I loved Sam Adams lager and octoberfest but the first beer that changed me was Newcastle. After I had one of those I was buying all kinds of craft brown ales and really for the first time thoroughly enjoying the taste of beer.

34. TheFlern

TheFlern Initiate (0) May 9, 2009 Idaho

It's gotta be fat tire. first craft beer i ever had. when i turned 21 this was the site i came to in order to find more of that good crafty stuff!

35. RaggaD

RaggaD Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2013 Florida

Honestly I think the first time I realized there was more to beer was when I had my first Newcastle, which granted now is like meh, but at the time when I was 17 I was like WHOA what is this non terrible tasting beverage. I remember drinking Pete's Wicked with my friends back in the day too and everyone but me thought it was disgusting.

36. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Eh, another Victory cherry buster. Golden Monkey around the same time got me into Belgian styles. I've never been happier. Cheers!

37. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

First beer that really got me into American Craft, has to be Boston Beer. Then it progressed from there.

38. blbarnett3

blbarnett3 Disciple (325) Jun 25, 2011 Virginia

There's nothing like curiosity and being in a new environment to open up your horizons. Mirrors my experience. First pint of Guinness in some little pub in Dublin opened up a whole new world for me.

39. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

Troegs Troegenator. $2 drafts during happy hour at college because drinking "dark beer" would impress the ladies, right?

Edit: What actually got me to this site was a beer called "Pennsylvania style light" which a friend of mine would provide to his underage roommate. The reviews were priceless.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  40. MRLMedic

MRLMedic Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Massachusetts

Great thread.

For me, Sam Adams Boston Lager. I was the one who got everyone off of the normal BL or CL. I just simply wouldn't drink that crap. As for the first time I realized beer was more than just drinking the most possible in one sitting was probably Bell's Hopslam. The beer that got me into "hardcore beer snob mode" was Avery Uncle Jacob's Stout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.