What's the best stout brewed in your state?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DeweyCheatem-n-Howe, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Devotee (467) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

in PA:
    Iron Hill Bourbon Russian
    Victory Java Cask
    non treated:
    Dock Street Prince Myshkin's (they do use oak chips)

2. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (840) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Basically no one would argue anything but Voodoo from PA. I'm shocked that there have been so many people from PA in here but only one (other than me) Voodoo mention. Take your pick. Any of the Black Magicks, either of the Grande Negros, BBVD or variants, etc. No one in PA is even close to them when it comes to stouts.

HunterPGH likes this.
  3. tanis38

tanis38 Initiate (44) Jul 26, 2013 Florida

Brandy Barreled Hunahpu

4. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (851) Jan 19, 2013 Canada

If we're including Porter's in the mix: Grimross Pugnacious Porter

If we're talking strictly Stout's: Picaroons Timber Hog

5. jpearce4

jpearce4 Initiate (94) Feb 5, 2016 Michigan

For MI, I think I have to go with CBS, with KBS a close runner-up. Founders really does do incredible stouts.

For readily-available stouts, I pick Dragon's Milk. Love the amount of flavor you get from that beer at the price point!

6. MadLatvian

MadLatvian Initiate (177) Feb 8, 2015 Michigan

KBS, never had CBS.

7. jeffgott

jeffgott Zealot (541) Feb 15, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

ANTEAD from Kane.

8. riegler

riegler Initiate (95) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

Mornin Delight was quite possibly the best beer I've ever tried, but for a more practical option I like Millstream's Back Road Stout. I've also realized something from this thread, that Michigan is putting out the best stouts IMO. Founders KBS, FBS, Bell's Kalamazoo and Expedition, New Holland and the list goes on

9. EchoesZ

EchoesZ Initiate (76) Mar 3, 2013 Arkansas

Ozark Beer Company: Bourbon Double Cream Stout

HawkeyeJosh and Kdubzz like this.
  10. Kdubzz

Kdubzz Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2016 Arkansas

Echoes26 beat me to the punch by 1 minute! But yes, Ozark's BDCS is not only the best stout brewed in Arkansas, it's the best beer period. And one of the best Imperial Stouts I've ever had.

EchoesZ likes this.
  11. Crocea

Crocea Initiate (34) Nov 20, 2015 Kentucky

Bo and Luke, 35K, 70K all from Against the Grain in Louisville Ky. Snake Eyes and Snake Cake from West 6th brewery in Lexington Ky. These are the stouts from Kentucky I like the most.

12. tclapp

tclapp Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2016 Texas

Have you had Southern Star's Buried Hatchet? Their Black Crack isn't my favorite BBA stout but I find myself picking up BH more and more when I don't want Old Rasputin or Narwhal.

AgentMunky likes this.
  13. ThomasMetal75

ThomasMetal75 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2009 Massachusetts

In Massachusetts it's has to be Trillium PM Dawn for imperial stouts. For a non imperial stout, I'd say Wachusett's Milk Stout.

14. mjytown08

mjytown08 Initiate (128) May 15, 2015 California
    Trader

I'll claim two states, Ohio and California. In Ohio, it has to be 1. Jackie O's Champion Ground and 2. BBA Dark Apparition. As for California, you can't beat 1. Black Tuesday and 2. Parabola.

15. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,089) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

DORIS.

And it's not even close.

We're talking brewed, not bourbon'd. I defer to the booze hounds to choose the best bba stout. I really wish we could draw a line around barrel aged stuff--it doesn't seem to matter what it is, who does it, or how good it is, if it's bba, it gets top marks. We need a Bourbon'd-Up Beer Advocate sector of this site. :stuck_out_tongue:

16. GotWad629

GotWad629 Initiate (188) Sep 14, 2010 New York

Common Roots - Coffee Cup

17. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (243) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Jackie O's crank out the REAL black gold over here. Sorry, Great Lakes....

18. ClemsonMike

ClemsonMike Initiate (102) Aug 13, 2010 South Carolina

Easy choice in SC - Mexican Cake.

19. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,051) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Like your name - Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe likes this.
  20. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Somebody's gots ta be furst. But seriously, for a consistently good stout, you hit it.

21. Ozzylizard

Society Trader

Fat Dog on tap is the best - bottled, not so good, IMHO. I'd kill for the coconut variant on cask!

22. jring626

jring626 Initiate (74) Mar 31, 2007 Texas

In Texas...scene has gotten a lot better recently...2 picks from me would be Saint Arnold Pumpkinator (and the BA version) as well as Brash Vulgar Display of Power! Jester King OG Black Metal would have made the cut, but the farmhouse version is just not good.

chrismann65 likes this.
  23. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (146) Feb 5, 2010 New York

I don't even know if Afrodeeziac makes my top 10 list of North stouts.

Imperial Cerberus
    Santa's Night Cap
    Sunday
    God Complex
    Reanimator
    Ozymandias
    White King
    Harbinger
    Full Measures
    Double D's

Pretty good starting point for the best stouts in NY.

mikeinportc likes this.
  24. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

Nothing I've tried from Ohio has quite beaten Jackie O's Dark Apparition (and variants) for me. Especially since the regular version became ubiquitous on shelves, meaning no lines, no rush - I can name at least four gas stations where I can grab it right now, and that's before I get into bottle shops.

Honorable mention to Blackout Stout, Siberian Night (and BA version), Oil of Aphrodite, and various members of the BORIS/DORIS line, but for availability + quality, Dark App all the way.

jds16 likes this.
  25. neurobot01

neurobot01 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 California

Not to dickswing, but (as others have noted), I could list probably 10, any one of which would be the best in most states. Like Parabola, Monsters Park, Older Viscosity, w00tstout, BA Speedway, Tusk & Grain 01, Fundamental Observation, BA Narwhal, Black Tuesday, Pugachev's Cobra...

mikeinportc likes this.
  26. emount91

emount91 Devotee (426) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

CT: NEBCO Imperial Stout Trooper.

27. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Disciple (337) Oct 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Alesmith Speedway Stout (plus BA and variations)
    Modern Times Monster's Park
    North Coast Old Raspy
    FW Parabola
    Lagunitas Cappucino Stout

These are just my personal opinions.

28. lanciloti

lanciloti Devotee (476) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

BCBS (and variants) as well as Nutulhu

Runners up:
    Deth's Tar, BA Abduction
    I was blown away by Buckley from Transient but not too many have heard of it.

29. Aus_Nomad

Aus_Nomad Initiate (41) Dec 3, 2015 District of Columbia

Hardywood Bourbon Barrel Gingerbread Stout from VA, or 3 Stars Pandemic/Desolation from DC.

30. HawkeyeJosh

HawkeyeJosh Aspirant (200) Jul 14, 2012 Arkansas

From the state I'm in: Ozark Beer Company's BDCS and Onyx BDCS (coffee). I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I had the coffee BDCS.

The state I consider mine (Iowa): I've never had any of the Toppling Goliath stouts, but the best I've had from Iowa has to be Big Grove Brewery's Richard The Whale and the variants Richard The Hazelnut Whale and Richard The Kii Kenya Whale. Those were amazing beers. So good.

dcotom and 50StateBeerTour like this.
  31. 50StateBeerTour

50StateBeerTour Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2016 Arkansas

Can't believe HawkeyeJosh stole my post just 9 minutes ago. Most will BDCS, but I definitely say the Onyx version. Hope they can it next year. BTW Josh, I'm also a Hawkeye living in NWA. No wonder we think alike!!

HawkeyeJosh likes this.
  32. gnartothecore

gnartothecore Initiate (132) Feb 4, 2015 Florida
    Trader

In Florida, most will say Huna. But I haven't gotten a chance to try that yet, so I'll say its a tie between JWB Harbinger and AC German Chocolate Coffee Cupcake

33. Skellbop

Skellbop Defender (661) Feb 26, 2015 New York
    Trader

I really enjoy the Grimm Double Negative line, but have also recently enjoyed "We've been Out here in Orbit" and Apple Brandy BQE

34. ChrisSchlosser

ChrisSchlosser Disciple (335) Nov 15, 2013 Ohio

Best one I've had is Great Lakes Blackout Stout. Can't even think of another one. I don't think Ohio is known for the stouts. I still haven't tried Jackie O's Dark Apparition but I am assuming it's good.

SoleBriety likes this.
  35. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,089) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

In spite of a couple of really hyped IPAs, I would argue Ohio does stouts better than anything else. Hoppin Frog, Thirsty Dog, Wolf's Ridge, Willoughby, JO, GLBC, and it goes on.

UrbanCaveman likes this.
  36. rronin

rronin Initiate (179) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Once upon a time I would have said Eleysian's Split Shot Espresso and Milk Stout but the corporate whore did not brew it this year. On the other hand, their Punkuccino Espresso Pumpkin Ale went begging for buyers last year and can be had at half price at Safeway last time I was there.

37. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,238) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Fresh Bitches Brew, but 5 year old WWS is one of the best stouts out there. I do have to say Mispillion has been brew some good stouts too, Wonka Bar was pretty damn good!

VABA likes this.
  38. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Aspirant (219) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

Buried Hatchet is not a good stout. In some servings I've had it was barely a good beer. And that first batch of Black Crack was pure butter after about 3 months. I do not get the Southern Star Buried Hatchet love, but hey, more for the Houston locals.

gnartothecore likes this.
  39. Oktoberfist

Oktoberfist Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Best stout in my state? Hmm . . .

Otto's Jolly Roger RIS

40. sludgegnome

sludgegnome Disciple (374) Mar 26, 2011 Pennsylvania

Haven't tried everyone yet so I can't truly say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.