What's the best tongue numbing sour you know?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by chamawaiian, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdb150

kdb150 Zealot (502) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

If you are looking for beers that are like sucking on a sour warhead, then look no further than Bruery's Oude Tart. True, it's a terrible beer, but definitely tongue-meltingly sour.

It would be a waste of time for anyone. Oude Tart is an awful beer and certainly not worth $25. Pick up a 750 of Rodenbach Grand Cru if you want something sour that will have wide appeal. Wine drinkers will definitely approve of it's vinous characteristics, assuming they don't mind the sour.

2. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

3. Chibeerguy1

Chibeerguy1 Aspirant (274) Jul 7, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Recent release of FFF Deesko was so very sour and amazing (if youre into that sort of thing) I kept buying bottle after bottle. I cant speak for the earlier releases which seem pretty bad based on the reviews here. Probably hard to get for most but thought it was worth the mention.

4. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Crusader (759) Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Of late, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Beauregarde and SitR/SitR Kumquat come to mind

5. Chibeerguy1

Chibeerguy1 Aspirant (274) Jul 7, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Oh and forgot to mention... Upland Lambics but good luck with that! Had the opportunity to try the blackberry, strawberry, and kiwi, kiwi being the most sour of all!

luwak likes this.
  6. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,185) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

For better or worse, I've never had any beers as sour as the ones from Trinity. Brain of the Turtle in particular is ridiculous.

jkblodge likes this.
  7. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2008 Ohio

The first sour I had, Cantillon Lou Pepe. Good luck finding it on the shelf though.

8. Ryan2BSU

Ryan2BSU Initiate (161) Mar 16, 2012 Indiana

Cuvee Des Jacobins is pretty good imo!

9. jbck109

jbck109 Aspirant (267) May 30, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

If you like sour stouts, try Jolly pumpkin Madrugada Obscura.

10. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Florida

+1 for Tart of Darkness. So sour and malty at the same time. I was in love...

11. Spiral517

Spiral517 Initiate (154) Sep 17, 2013 Maryland

Rodenbach grand cru is the beer considered a sour that I have tried. While I can't say I disliked it, I did find it to be more like champagne than beer. Is this what I can expect from the other sours mentioned in this discussion?

12. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (377) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

13. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,060) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

The best one is Consecration from Russian river. Few come close.

JayORear likes this.
  14. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Initiate (141) Dec 13, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Bear Republic Tartare.

15. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

I find sours to be a palate watering as opposed to numbing. Hops on the other hand. Hello astringency!

16. devlishdamsel

Oude tart is young and impudent, thus full of tannins which I feel could use some ageing to round out. Grand cru is probably the original and quintessential version of the style so of course its going to reign superior.

17. Neary

Neary Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

cuvee de jacobins = warhead in a bottle

Ryan2BSU likes this.
  18. rab53

rab53 Poo-Bah (1,589) May 1, 2005 Washington
    Beer Trader

All Bruery sours I've had (Tart of Darkness, Oude Tart, Rueuze) taste like carbonated vinegar. Didn't even think twice about picking up Sour in the Rye.

19. MickJ0nes

MickJ0nes Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

Rodenbach Vintage 2010

20. devlishdamsel

seriously? I thought it was on the sweet side for a sour...

jbaker67 and luwak like this.
  21. adkieffer

adkieffer Disciple (330) Nov 23, 2010 Washington

Hannsens Gueuze was the first thing that came to mind that is pretty easy to get my hands on

Upland Blackberry b1 and '12 Cascade Apricot are amazing and very sour treats

The most sour I have ever had though was an '08 Fou Foune I drank last month

22. EastHarris

EastHarris Initiate (130) Jan 9, 2012 Pennsylvania

+1 Weyerbacher Riserva. Haven't had this years yet, but last year's tasted like oak aged acid. My mouth waters just thinking about it

ChipMurray and luwak like this.
  23. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I personally didn't find oude tart and Westbrook gose all to sour, sour in the rye I thought was signifnictally more so. But like some others have stated, I had a 07 Hanssens Oudbeitje that was punishingly sour and funky as hell. One of the best sours I've ever had.

afrokaze and luwak like this.
  24. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,446) Mar 18, 2010 California

Weyerbacher Riserva.

ChipMurray likes this.
  25. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Mother funker

26. facesnorth

facesnorth Disciple (390) May 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

If you like Lost Nation Gose, try Zero Gravity's Gose next time you are in VT. I think it's superior - and their beers in general have been outstanding.

27. facesnorth

facesnorth Disciple (390) May 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Agreed on Jacobins. But Consecration is fairly sour, and I thought Red Poppy was quite so. I thought Sour in the Rye was quite a bit less, actually. And I love all 4 of those beers. I haven't had the others.

This question gets asked a lot, and I've had a lot of sours, but I have a hard time coming up with an answer. I just find them all to be different.

28. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    ¡Bad Trader! Beer Trader

Riserva, lemon juice sour!

29. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 North Carolina

The Bruery Oude Tart
    Oude Gueze Tilquin
    Hanssens Scarenbecca Kriek (even though the fact it's 375ml for 30.99$) plus their regular Kriek and Oude Gueuze.
    Rivertown Lambic
    Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale
    Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge
    Russian River Consecration
    I think my favorite is still New Belgium La Folie. Damn it's sour and amazing.
    Come to think of it, I have pretty much liked every sour I've had. Even on a budget beer run, a Gueze Boon. St Louis Gueuze Fond tradition, Goudenband, Lindemans Gueuze cuvee Renee, rodenbach, and Duchess de Bourgogne all fancy my taste buds more than 80% of the other craft beer out there.

On the other hand, I have disliked most Framboise and Berliner weissebiers that I've had. If I want sour, I want SOUR. Balance is for pussies. (Joke, don't freak out)

luwak and mythaeus like this.
  30. ESPNman

ESPNman Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I'm drinking a Tart of Darkness right now, and it's still one of the few beers that can make me actually cringe when I drink it... in a good way. Mouth-numbing, eye-wateringly tart.

31. jbck109

Beer Trader

Opened bottle of Cascade Noyaux at my wedding, it was quite sour, I was the only one that enjoyed drinking it, but is was at the end of my tolerance for sour.

luwak likes this.
  32. jbck109

Beer Trader

La terrior is very good, but not at all puckering, more mildly tart. The dry hopping adds a great aroma, and makes for very interesting sour, but may not be what you seek.

33. AJ01923

AJ01923 Devotee (414) Jan 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I love sours and as much as I agree about RR and Bruery, etc. my favorite so far that I've gone back to are Rodenbach Grand CRU, Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge and Cuvée Freddy.

Ryan2BSU and chamawaiian like this.
  34. Ryan2BSU

Ryan2BSU Initiate (161) Mar 16, 2012 Indiana

I am with you on loving sours. My wallet never loves me afterwords. I just added Gillian to my sour collection though!

luwak likes this.
  35. 071184

071184 Initiate (136) Sep 10, 2013 Texas

Bear Republic Tartare- it will melt your face. Er Taste buds.

infiniteloop likes this.
  36. chamawaiian

chamawaiian Aspirant (278) Sep 21, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Is it hard to trade for this beer? Looks quite limited.

37. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,547) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'm not a fan of sours but a friend of mine brought back some Consecration and I mostly enjoyed it. I had a Love Child #3 that I was saving for a bottle share and it was definitely more sour than Consecration.

38. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (4,201) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Beatification and Sour in the Rye.

39. amp138

amp138 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Rhode Island

Oude Tart was expensive and literally has an aftertaste of fresh vomit.

40. douginromeo

douginromeo Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

And cascade apricot. That's all you need to know!

flipdog0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.