Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

What's the deal with "Ann?"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by mikeincharleston, Jul 22, 2012.

1. mikeincharleston

Beer Trader

I know HF is ISO heavily but it seems ann is pulling crazy stuff. Looks like a saison that im guessing is very limited. What am I missing

2. franklinn

160 bottles, brewery only release and there were about 200 people in line when they opened.

3. Rymar9

Beer Trader

Saison with honey and microflora added, aged in wine barrels. 160 bottles released. Many are saying that it's shaun's best beer yet. I mean check out the ratings..

4. Etan

INSTAWHALE

Mavajo, harrymel and yamar68 like this.
  5. Pittsky

Beer Trader

i dont even know what it is...160 bottles? not interested as ill never trade for it.

6. maximum12

Beer Trader

Agreed. And I'd like to see a few reviews from people outside of the East Coast before anointing Ann the Next Chosen One. Although that's not likely to happen the way it's trading.

ipa247 likes this.
  7. lucas1801

8. lucas1801

I agree, hopefully whoever is getting that haul is going to hook him up with some nice extras for the generous offer.

9. mikecharley

Beer Trader

Kbs would probably get it done

Sarlacc83, Duff27, Jnorton00 and 2 others like this.
  10. nrs207

Beer Trader

It really is because it's that much better. I made the 8 hour trip to HF. So worth it. You really can't get locals that are anywhere near as good if you live most places in my estimation. I know "local beer" is all the rage, but I just don't get it. I'm gonna drink what I like the most as long as I can get it. So an occasional trip to VT, why not? And this is, of course, just IMO.

Crawfordesquire likes this.
  11. nrs207

Beer Trader

By having good beers by good breweries and having nothing be as consistently awesome as HF. Like I said, my opinion. I like Weyerbacher, they're my most local brewery. I wouldn't say that they are in the same league as HF, however. I just think that truly amazing beer is more hard to come by than people realize. Just because it's local doesn't make it good, and the HF hype isn't baseless. I wish it wasn't the case, because it's not like HF is something that's easy for me to get, or Heady Topper (probably my favorite beer).

oldp0rt likes this.
  12. yourefragile

Beer Trader

Not that anyone asked, but my opinion on what appears to be the two questions causing the most consternation...

1) Is Ann that good? (i.e. ~perfect average here, similar on RB after doing the conversion of BA.avg*5/9+32= RB.avg)
    2) Is the debacle of this beer in the trade forum since release solely a byproduct of homerism, the creeping death of LIMITED BOTTLE RELEASE hysteria suffocating the trading forums lately and/or the building slow burn of "hype" for HF over the past two years.

1) For me? Yea, I was blown away. Partly by exceeding expectations (I like Anna well enough, but it's not my favorite saison and I thought I knew what it would taste like aged in a wine barrel. Ha, simple, naive yourefragile) and second by being the first thing since Rare DOS to transcend what I expect for its "general" style.
    2) Hell, I don't know, who cares? Am I a HF homer since I live on the East Coast (DC) and make the 20 hour round trip there a few times a year? If so, shame on me. I haven't seen many ridiculous FTs posted for this beer, just an escalating crush of unfulfilled ISOs.

Maybe this beer is just that good? I mean, Rare DOS turned out to be legit despite the initial skepticism, right?

13. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

What I find the most interesting is, where are the ISO's for Anna? Like, the base beer must suck right, no need to try that one? :p

I dare you, go out and see how many ISO: Anna posts there are. Ann isn't a hype train, it's a hype bullet-train.

Edit: Yes, let's assume everyone ISO: Ann has tried Anna, that wasn't my point.

14. yourefragile

Beer Trader

Anna has also been released three times in the past year each time a ~1000 bottle release and is available for a few weeks+ at a time. If you want Anna, it's not that hard to find and might've already had it.

CypherEnigma likes this.
  15. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

I've had growlers of Anna sent to me, that one I think is on tap fairly regularly. You still need someone to go down and get a growler (or, bottle in the rare case it's available) of Anna at HF, which is no small feat in itself. However, my point mainly is that Anna is an amazing beer in it's own right. However, not much in the way of ISO's for Anna.

brooklynbrews and yourefragile like this.
  16. BOBPINCH666

THIS.

Some beer obsessives enjoy trading, going to releases, &c. to find things they love, and stick with them to whatever degree is actually plausible. Not everyone is a ticker.

afksports likes this.
  17. KevSal

Beer Trader

I came to post the very same thread, it's amazing how crazy it is so quickly.

One review says bottle 250 of 300. Any idea how that came about?

18. yourefragile

Beer Trader

Like Norma, labels say out of 300. But apparently 160 bottles of Ann were actually released (and 200? of Norma)

KevSal likes this.
  19. GuisseppeFranco

Beer Trader

I think Norma was also 160 released outta 300.

20. Gosox8787

Just my opinion, but I have had a couple bottles of Anna and a growler from the last couple months and the bottles were far superior. I honestly do not know if there was even a difference, but I got a lot more funk and fruit in the bottles based on what I remember. The bottled Anna is drinking great right now and I definitely recommend it to anyone that wants to get a good idea about what HF saisons are about (even the more straight forward ones).

I'm going to have my last bottle side by side with Ann hopefully. I'm not sure it will live up to the early hype, but I ahve no doubt it will be anything short of great.

21. KevSal

Beer Trader

So theres still 140 bottles sitting somewhere at hf? The way things are going on the trading board I wouldn't be surprised if some fools raid the place at night

22. fargoth

"This too shall pass."

Today's Hill Farmstead is tomorrows Founders.

Ride that motherfucker!

2beerdogs likes this.
  23. franklinn

In Shaun's personal "library/cellar", I believe.

24. franklinn

You don't, until you try them ;)

25. phingdong

Beer Trader

180 bottles for the Norma release, but it didn't seem (to me) like enough people showed for that one to cover the 180, so there may have been more left over for Shaun's reserves (hopefully for onsite consumption in the future taproom). Wonderful beer...

Gosox8787 likes this.
  26. franklinn

More descriptive words would do NOTHING to help the HF hype train though.

Seriously, it's a conspiracy and we just SAY everything from them is "amazing" to help build the mystique. It's really all junk!

Srsly.

27. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

I was completely underwhelmed by "E". I thought Anna from the growler was better than from the bottle. There may be some batch varitation at play here. Edward is pretty good too, but not as good as Anna IMHO. I have Arthur/Art/CD4/Jimmy to go through this month still.

evilc likes this.
  28. yourefragile

Beer Trader

Have you ever tried anything from HF? If not, send me a message and I'm happy to share some so you can have a basis for your opinion that they are all junk.

Srsly.

edit: Franklinn, apparently I missed your point, apologies, but offer stands.

29. phingdong

Beer Trader

Blue label Arthur? 'Cause if so, it's......(wait for it)..........."amazing"

Barlow, Gosox8787 and franklinn like this.
  30. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

:p Nope, it's from the last release in May I think? I believe it's green/red, I'd need to double check to be sure.

Also, the growler of Ann I had was from right around the May release day as well, so I'm guessing it was a really fresh batch.

31. franklinn

You have unfortunately fallen into the sar-chasm. Better luck next time. I really do appreciate the offer, though, and I agree with you, they're amazing. So amazing that i'm currently in the middle of packing up 7 growlers of theirs to ship out in the morning :)

that really made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

huskermike12 likes this.
  32. darkmoon66

Beer Trader

Having never tried one I can say they are all junk

Can you share some now? ;)

33. BigTomZ

So far there are only 2 non-homer reviews. I'll wait for more before deciding if I am interested.

34. BearsOnAcid

Beer Trader

How far does a reviewer have to be from a brewery before they are not considered a homer? So far no reviews are from VT. Are you waiting for some reviews from the west coast or fly over states?

sliverX likes this.
  35. nrs207

Beer Trader

I don't think this is one of those. I think this is probably that good. Have you had any other HF beers? The ones I've had seem to be appropriately rated. Who knows how many reviews we'll see of it at such a small release.

36. sarro

Beer Trader

Ann truly is a magnificent beer. Incredibly well balanced sour saison.
    I agree with nearly all the sentiments of the posted reviews.

I hope many more people will be able to experience his barrel aged beers when more is produced next year (although it will never be enough to meet demand nowadays)

37. Sarlacc83

Epic, bro. Epic.

Levitation likes this.
  38. CWBlues

Beer Trader

What makes you think people are going to drink this? A beer this good is clearly not for drinking.

apocalypsezombie and Etan like this.
  39. CWBlues

Beer Trader

All those poor, poor beers.

FalconA likes this.
  40. BigTomZ

Most of Eastern and Western MA should be able to get there in around 3 hours. That is easily a day trip and makes one a homer in my opinion.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe