Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Whats the Difference between a Imperial Stout and Baltic Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BlackDragon, Feb 19, 2013.

1. pixieskid

Thanks for the links, a good read but at the end of all of it, we're back to where we started... "stout was stronger than porter" and generally speaking, that is the case today.

2. TNGabe

Gah, old internet posts comng back to haunt me. I have since learned that stout = porter. Same difference.

jmw likes this.
  3. marquis

Don't worry, there are plenty of posts I made which I hope have been buried!!! We all, I hope, become better informed as time goes along and for a long time I went along with things I now know to be wrong.

4. jucifer1818

one is an ale and the other is a lagger, at least in practice.

A baltic porter is suppose to be a heavy duty dark lagger, while imp stout is a giant ale.......

5. Erix

While Baltic Thunder is nice, it's really missing out on the ridiculous full bodied mouthfeel of Perkuno's Hammer. I just assumed it was because they didn't use beans at all, but maybe it's just that the Roman beans worked much better. Regardless, I miss Perkuno's Hammer, after finishing off my last bottle last year.

6. marquis

[​IMG]

Notice it says Ales AND Stouts :)

7. Crusader

Found this image of doctors prescriptions for porter from the 1930s (when beer above 4% abv, or class 3 beer, could only be bought for medicinal reasons) which I thought I'd share. The upper one from apoteket gripen (pharmacy griffin) is for a Disponent (business owner) Nilsson who is directed to drink "et[sic] glas 3 gÄnger dagligen" (one glass 3 times daily) of porter klass 3 and he is able to purchase 6 fl. (6 bottles) of it. The one below is for a Mrs. Hille who is to drink "en flaska vid behov" (a bottle when needed) of Carnegie porter, class 3. It also says Lag. Ori .III which I interpret as Lager beer class 3 as an alternative to the porter.
    [​IMG]

pudgym29, Givemebeer and beertunes like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe