What's the last lager you had that impressed the hell out of you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,170) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Simple question: What's the last lager you had that impressed the hell out of you?

(I also asked this question on Twitter and Facebook.)

Thanks in advance for the replies! :beers:

2. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,711) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Cigar City Lager and truth be told I wasn't expecting at all to be impressed by a lager from Florida. Outstanding.

3. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (183) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

Grit and Low Bridge, both brewed by Root Down Brewery in Phoenixville, PA.

4. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,370) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Benediktiner Oktoberfest blew me away this past year. Just a perfectly balanced and clean beer that was really easy to drink. Before that, probably Suarez Family Palatine Pils. Had it on tap at the brewery and it was so fresh and crisp. Honorable mention to Bierstadt Lagerhaus Slow Pour Pils. Hard to find flaws in any of those beers.

5. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,332) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

Elevation 4393 by Von Trapp Brewing.

6. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,971) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

La Cumbre's Le Pilsner Le Francais

7. SP23

SP23 Initiate (64) Aug 21, 2008 California
    Trader

Highland Park Brewing
    Timbo Pils

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,783) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

TRVE brewing Cold is one of my favorites. It's a kellerpils that is crisp and the saaz hops really present in an almost orange blossom profile. Its subtle as the hops should be. Dont think I mean the hops come across like so many over hopped lagers out there because that is not how this beer is brewed.
    Cerebral brewing has a couple foeder brewe lagers that stand out more that their hazy bois as well.
    Also heavy trommel blew me away. I wish I had the foresight to grab a case of that beer.

9. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,490) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

10. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,843) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

If we're really talking 'last' it would have to be Industrial Arts Winter Landscape, a foeder aged black lager. It's made with just the right touch from the wood, enough to smooth down any rough edges, but not so much as to dominate the flavor; it's just a complimentary kiss of oak on the finish.

11. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,324) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

This one, literally just finished it 10 minutes ago. Outstanding, IMHO.

[​IMG]

4.17/5 rDev +6.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a slightly hazy golden straw color with a foamy white head. Gorgeous lager. The nose has lemongrass and bready malt aromas for your sniffing pleasure.

The lemongrass is significantly more prominent on the taste, whic I really enjoy, but the bready malt is definitely a contender at the end of the taste. A truly magnificent, crushable lager.

This is the third beer I’ve had from Jack’s, and all three have been perfectly executed. I need a whole lot more of this brewery in my beer nerd life.

Singlefinpin, sosbombs, sliv and 33 others like this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,843) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I really loved Heavy Trommel last year!

13. Mikexw

Mikexw Champion (882) Mar 3, 2014 New York
    Trader

Probably Suarez Family Brewing Bones Shirt (it's a dark lager, if those are eligible). Their Palatine Pils is up there too.

14. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (161) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

This x infinity.

But the last one I had that really impressed was Jack's Abby House Lager.

15. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (161) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Also really liked the Hofbrau Maibock.

16. matts2896

matts2896 Initiate (142) Aug 24, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

Last? Oxbow Luppolo: wonderfully flowery, fragrant nose and a lot of rosewater and a bit of mint on tasting. Really unique hop character and flawlessly clean

Singlefinpin, Davl22, AirBob and 6 others like this.
  17. samkuhgee

samkuhgee Initiate (66) Jul 16, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Pipeworks Choice Rye Lager. Clean, crisp, just a little earthy rye spice. First time in a very long time that I've bought a single can and then gone back for a 4pk

18. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (509) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

19. pants678

pants678 Champion (855) Jan 26, 2009 California
    Trader

Ayinger's Celebrator

20. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

And We'll See You Tomorrow Night Bohemian Pilsner from ONE Fermentery & Taproom in Minneapolis. The brewery opened in November with one of the best American-made pilsners I've ever had.

21. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Champion (842) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Last night at The Red Oak Brewery near Mebane NC, The Black Oak, a Dopplebock.
    It was almost like a stout.
    Chocolatey goodness!
    I have to admit their Pilsner was pretty damn good as well.
    Red Oak only makes Lagers.

GreenBayBA and beergoot like this.
  22. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,231) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Jack's Abby - Modern Hell

Hands down one of the best lagers I've ever had. You ever have a concept of something, an ideal, that you imagine as the perfect embodiment of something? And then you actually find the thing that embodies that concept perfectly? That beer is exactly what I imagined a perfect Helles Lager to be. It had that perfect smack of rich honey sweetness, subtle undertones of hay, grass and white pepper, and then a tightly crisp finish that lingered neither of hop bitterness nor the sweetness, save for a slight honey stickiness. Not to mention that I slow-poured it perfectly, so each sip felt fluffy like marshmallows.

Secondly, I have to mention Threes lagers, both Vliet and Kicking & Screaming. Vliet is basically a perfect pilsner, and Kicking & Screaming took that perfection and made it even more interesting. Subtle hints of funk, oak, and white grape complimented the base pilsner perfectly.

Another one of the best and most unique lagers I ever had is from Tired Hands. Prayer Group. Very similar to Kicking & Screaming but with even deeper level of funk, oak, and barnyard character, whilst still retaining the lager crispness.

23. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,445) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

New Oberpfalz Helles.

I never new I liked Helles until this one.

24. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,910) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Victory Braumeister Pils. Marvelous.

25. readyski

readyski Aspirant (279) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Russian River Intinction

26. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,584) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hamms,its always Hamms

27. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,584) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

A bit non traditional but Mason Jar Pils that uses Mosaic hops. When it’s fresh it’s sensational.

More traditional is Capt Jack Pils from Old Mecklenburg in Charlotte. It’s really hard to beat this one, it’s fresh and right on point. If I had to pick the best if the best this one is it.

28. ATL6245

ATL6245 Disciple (324) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia

I responded on Twitter with the same. Line Creek Brewing Maverick (German Helles). I love it when a small craft brewery nails a German style lager. This Atlanta area brewery did a great job crafting this one. Herbal/spicy aroma & flavor. Nice clean lager profile. Good head retention.

29. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (436) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Dovetail Kolsch in a stange, at the source. One of the best beers I’ve had recently.

30. jjamadorphd

jjamadorphd Meyvn (1,416) Jul 21, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Tropic of Thunder, Stone Brewing. Enjoyed this quite a bit. Can't wait to take a bunch with me to the beach this year...

31. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,148) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Live Oak Pils and Smith and Lentz German Pilsener, which is local.

32. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (2,882) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Shared Content Moderator. Texas-style corn lager. crisp, clean and refreshing with a nice full bodied mouthfeel. impressed the hell out of me.

33. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Devotee (420) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Dovetail. If ya don’t know, now ya know

34. SmashAdams

SmashAdams Defender (612) Feb 3, 2015 New Jersey

Sixpoint Alpenflo is fantastic. Also Crooked Stave Von PIlsner.

35. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,348) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Fort George's 'Cathedral Tree' got an overall 4.45 rating from me this past October.

The only higher rated lager/pils is Grand Teton Brewing's 'Persephone Pils', and imperial pilsner that I rated nearly 9-years ago. It got an overall rating of 4.5 from me.

But there is no doubt that there have been plenty of lagers and pilsners coming out lately that I tend to rate around a 4.0 overall. Gold Buckle Beer (an AAL) got a 3.93 overall from me last month. Pils from Fair State Brewing Cooperative rate a 4.04 overall last December (a German pils).

#35 beergoot, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  36. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,333) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

2019 Summer Landscape from Industrial Arts Brewing. An old school style Lager with exclusively New York State ingredients.

37. seakayak

seakayak Defender (696) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Zero Gravity's Green State Lager - a smooth, crisp, delicious pilsner!

38. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,196) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

GoodLife Bavarian Lager. Less recent but no less spectacular (or surprising, given that none of these are “known for” their lager game), Upright Engelberg Pils and Brouwerij West Popfuji.

Local breweries with a lager reputation that lived up: Heater Allen, pFriem, Chuckanut, Zoiglhaus.

#38 sharpski, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  39. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (185) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

[​IMG] This one by Blackberry Farm Brewery.

40. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,289) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

That would be Philzner at High Nine Brewing in Deep River CT. Just what it sounds like.

GreenBayBA and beergoot like this.