What's the last lager you had that impressed the hell out of you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Feb 16, 2020.

1. smbslt

smbslt Savant (901) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Society

This post intentionally left blank - well except for these words. You get the point.

Situationally there have been some but even a Silver Bullet tastes pretty good after a great hike.

officerbill likes this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,219) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Didn't they migrate to Mexico?

officerbill likes this.
  3. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (321) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Sam Adams '76 Lager.

Cstamp3084 and Bitterbill like this.
  4. Steve555

Steve555 Aspirant (273) Jun 8, 2020 Wales

As a lover of classic German lagers then there are a good few that impress (the hell out of) me, amongst my favourites being:
    Weihestephaner Original
    Augustiner Helles
    Hofbrau Original
    Konig Pilsner
    Raderberger Pilsner
    Tucher Bajuvator
    Kneitinger Bock
    Weltenburger Kloster Barock Dunkel
    Freising Jagerbier
    Hacker Pschorr Kellerbier
    More or less all Ayinger lagers

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,599) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

And it would seem that in contemporary times they have become 'Americanized' since plenty (all?) of those Mexican brewed 'Vienna Lagers' are brewed using adjuncts (e.g., corn, sugars):

"Modelo Negra contains Water, Barley Malt, Non-malted Cereals and Hops."

And:

“Dos Equis Ambar has hints of caramel malt, brown sugar and subtle notes of spices & fruits. Medium body, well-balanced and pleasant lingering finish

Ingredients: Water, Malted Barley, Maltose Syrup, Cassava and Hops”

Cheers!

officerbill and Bitterbill like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,219) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Thank goodness Snake River brews an excellent Vienna Style Lager in Jenny Lake.

southdenverhoo and eppCOS like this.
  7. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (121) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Cassava?!? Now that's an unexpected adjunct...what does it do for the beer?

8. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,844) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Terroir?

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  9. monkist

monkist Meyvn (1,203) Dec 7, 2016 Hungary

Hey I see you’re very well versed in Vienna lagers - and judging by your photo above, I guess I know the reason why...:wink:

ChicagoJ and EmperorBatman like this.
  10. JackHorzempa

Society

I presume it is just another source of starch for obtaining sugars during mashing.

Colonial American brewers would use local sources of starch, for example pumpkins, when brewing their beers.

Cheers!

officerbill and EmperorBatman like this.
  11. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (121) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Indeed, I lived in Austria during a college semester and spent last summer there as well. Safe to say, as a student I had plenty of free time to explore the local beers.

monkist, ChicagoJ, Bitterbill and 3 others like this.
  12. Kb024

Kb024 Initiate (156) Jun 11, 2015 California
    Trader

Mother Earth Mexican Lager 4.5%. Drinking one now. I'm not a big fan of Lagers but this stuff is good everytime. Whenever I drink any other Lager this is what I wish it tasted like.
    [​IMG]

13. davidward

davidward Initiate (139) Sep 26, 2016 Florida

New Belgium’s Lime Lager. I was so pleasantly surprised how good it is.

ESHBG and ChicagoJ like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Society

Below is some information from Dave Carpenter’s book about Lager Beer:

“But it was an Austrian brewer named Santiago Graf who arguably had the greatest influence on Mexican beer. In 1875…Graf imported European malt and hops,…his highly regarded Vienna lager soon took the country by storm.”

Cheers!

arizcards and Bitterbill like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Society

I am not saying that whatsoever. I simply quoted an extract from Dave Carpenter's book.

Two things can be 'right' at the same time.

Cheers!

16. JackHorzempa

Society

And I support you here. History of any topic can be quite challenging; development is not always a linear process.

Wikipedia is not my preferred source of information but for discussion purposes:

“Graf brewed various types of light colored ambers…

“In addition, he set up his own malting facilities in Mexico, using barley imported from the United States[7]. Graf was able to increase the acidity of his mash by increasing the percentage of dark malts in his recipes[8] thereby counteracting the high alkalinity of brewing water available in Mexico, with the alkalinity simultaneously mellowing the acidic flavors of the dark malts in the final product. The result was a popular, mellow, darker style of Vienna lager. The popularity of the Toluca y Mexico beers was such that Graf frequently had difficulty filling orders and was forced to seek outside investors to rapidly increase production[9]

Current popular brands of Graf style Viennas include major brands such as Negra Modelo, Nocha Buena, and Dos Equis Amber.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Graf

So, as discussed above this entry using the verbiage of “Graf style Viennas” and “darker style Vienna lager”.

What is consistent is the terminology of “Vienna” in describing these beers which is consistent with my understanding of the tradition for these Mexican lagers of the later 1800’s – early 1900’s.

Perhaps one persons “Graf style Vienna Lager” is another person’s “Munich Dunkel”? Who knows.:confused:

Cheers!

17. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,686) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

As stupid as this sounds, a Paulaner Original/Helles that was labeled as best by 08/20.
    That puts that bottle at just barely under a year old. Yet it's still really, really good. It's not at its peak, but it's still better than the vast majority of other lagers on the shelf.
    That's pretty impressive IMO. The downside is that it came from a variety box that was labeled 6/25/20. All the bottles in there are B.B. 08/20. That's almost cheating.

18. 1009

1009 Initiate (197) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Utica Club. Exactly what a lager should be. Wish they sold it around us.

19. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (127) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

New Glarus Kid Kolsch was pretty damn good.

eppCOS, ChicagoJ, officerbill and 2 others like this.
  20. Mortal_Wombat

Mortal_Wombat Initiate (43) Jul 7, 2020 Texas

Great Lakes Brewing Co. Oktoberfest. I tend to prefer Paulaner and Ayinger (usually, although Ayinger had some letdowns the last few years with their marzen) but Great Lakes was my favorite of the Oktoberfests last year, both domestic and imported.

21. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,556) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Wait, as in they claimed it was packaged on 6/25/20? As in trying to indicate the bottles inside were bottled in June?

Bitterbill and officerbill like this.
  22. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,686) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

There's a big UPC label on the box and it had a date of arrival at the store of 6/25/20. No clue if it's the store's fault or the distributor's, but everything in that box was barely within the BB date. It's not a date from Paulaner, but rather a UPC sticker.

Bitterbill, AlcahueteJ and ChicagoJ like this.
  23. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,320) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I had a similar experience today. Picked up a Von Trapp variety pack with 6/15/20 marked on the box. No way to tell if it was the "packaged on" or "best before" date. The beers were either going to be really fresh or just past their prime. Took a gamble and bought it anyways. Opened the box and all of the beers had a mid-Nov 2020 best before date. Jackpot!

24. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (564) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

That was my best bet commercial equivalent. For the Grodziskie we brewed at Jopen, we had proper Grodziskie yeast. Evan Rail got some propagated at the Czech Brewer's House and drove a keg of it over to Holland.

25. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (311) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

From my experience their date on the box is the packaged on date and then you have about a five month BB date on the beers within the package (give or take and depending on the style).

Jacobier10 likes this.
  26. detpizzaboi

detpizzaboi Disciple (321) Feb 10, 2019 Michigan
    Trader

HOMES x Humble Sea's Soaker collab, a foeder vienna lager brewed with vienna malt, wheat malt & huell melon (DE), fermented in oak, dry hopped with citra.

unlikelyspiderperson and eppCOS like this.
  27. gvickery

gvickery Zealot (502) May 13, 2017 Texas

I was shocked at how good this was. Had it on tap in Natchitoches Louisiana on the 4th of July. Very authentic Bavarian flavor. [​IMG]

28. JackHorzempa

Society

And if you enjoy dark lagers and are ever back in Louisiana I would recommend Great Raft Reasonably Corrupt Black Lager (just an hour north of Natchitoches in Shreveport). That beer is high quality IMO.

Nice to know there are some high quality lagers being produced in Louisiana.

Cheers!

29. HaoleBoy

HaoleBoy Aspirant (285) Mar 3, 2017 California

30. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (564) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Moonlight Reality Czech is such a wonderful beer. Briant Hunt is an amazing brewer.

31. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,574) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Probably the Lumberpunk Italian pilsener, a collaboration beer between local breweries Whistle Punk and Lumberbeard. As an appreciator of pilseners and European lagers, I feel like I'm living in a golden age, with so many Spokane area brewers nailing European lager styles.

eppCOS and TongoRad like this.
  32. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,950) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

I'm not sure if impressed is the right word, but I really enjoy the new Lawson's Finest Scrag Mountain Pils with Salt & Lime. It has just the right amount of flavor over a tasty base brew. Works great for this hot/muggy weather we have been having.
    [​IMG]

33. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,265) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Kölsch is not a lager.

officerbill likes this.
  34. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,320) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

35. JackHorzempa

Society

While Kölsch is fermented with an ale yeast strain this beer style, as brewed in Germany, is cold conditioned (i.e., lagered) after primary fermentation is complete. In this context this beer style is a hybrid.

I am uncertain whether every US craft brewery's version of a Kölsch is cold conditioned. Needless to say but if the brewery foregoes this step the beer is dissimilar from a lager.

FWIW when I homebrew my Kölsch beers I choose to cold condition for 3-4 weeks.

Cheers!

36. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,670) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

In a word (or 4--typically German compound words); Obergäriges Lagerbier, top-fermenting Lagerbier in English.

Top-fermented; cold, long-stored for clarity and smoothness. Everybody wins. :slight_smile:

37. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,265) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

38. monkist

monkist Meyvn (1,203) Dec 7, 2016 Hungary

Actually, we also lived there for five years until 2018 and had a fair share of their local beers... The most impressive thing was (in terms of beers, of course) that I could not find a bad beer there, not even among the cheapest ones in Aldi (Hofer) or Lidl...

39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,428) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I had a new lager yesterday, and it was from Burial, nice frothy head, clean and crisp, and only 3.5 ABV. You could pound that bad boy all day, perfect beach and pool beer. It was not listed as a session kinda beer either, it’s called Innertube btw.

40. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,431) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

A return last night to Upslope Craft Lager, impressive. Stood out during a multi-style tasting of sours, gueuze, and IPAs, but I remember that lager. That takes some doing. Good buy, too. Cheers.