What's the last lager you had that impressed the hell out of you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Resistance88

Resistance88 Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Second that! Their Lager is damned good and i am usually only drinking stouts/BA stouts

Bitterbill likes this.
  2. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The Schilling Alexandr that I've been getting lately seems like it's on another level :+1:

3. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

So wait -- is Anchor back in your town? :clap:

ChicagoJ and Bitterbill like this.
  4. surfcaster

surfcaster Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

2021 OMB Mecktoberfest this past weekend. Fantastic as always, super fresh and spot on.

Prost!

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Does that mean that recent batches are 'better' than from before?

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

At one store. Only the variety pack.

steveh likes this.
  7. TongoRad

Society Trader

That's what I'm wondering. Freshness could be a part of it, but it's not just that the hops have more vibrancy, the overall depth of flavor seems better too.

My last few packs have really had a Wow factor to them.

Fwiw, the Schilling selection at my local store is unpredictable. Sometimes it's the German Pilsner, sometimes it's the Kolsch, others it's the Landbier. There seems to be a rotation in effect, so maybe that's how they keep these beers at their freshest.

8. JackHorzempa

Society

AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.
  9. shkin

shkin Feb 6, 2011 New York

I wasn't a big fan of Schilling beers previously, but after seeing so many complimentary comments on BA I tried several of their beers including Alexandr on a recent trip to VT, and they were top-notch.

As for impressive lagers, Tree House Wanderer Helles is outstanding.

Bitterbill and TongoRad like this.
  10. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

11. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

My uncle was stationed in Thailand USAF, '67-68 and he recently told me he thought SINGHA was the best lager he ever had. So I got some at the Total Wine and Singha is better than the San Miguel we drank in the Philippines as I remember. 50 centavos in '73-74 in Olongapo City.

13. zid

zid Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

:beers: Goin' back to page 2 for my post of the same beer:
    (It's very weird to read my old post from over a year ago... I probably haven't been out drinking like that since I made that post.)

14. tobelerone

tobelerone Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I like some lagers but am far from a crispy boi, if that means anything to you.

anyway I have two answers. One is on a recent west coast trip had a Heater Allen Pils that was super fresh and that was delicious.

Secondly I had a Jacks Abby Post Shift Pils that was in the back of my fridge for a full year and it was still terrific and incredibly, pretty darn hoppy! Reminded me I need to be buying more beers from this exceptional brewery. Nice staying power there.

Bitterbill, TongoRad and seakayak like this.
  15. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

It’s been a bit of a love-fest in the Midwest forum over Roaring Table’s Fest Bier:
    [​IMG]
    I
    , for one, just keep thinking about how great this beer is. @steveh has mentioned them a couple times in this thread, but this beer is on a whole other level compared to what a lot of domestic brewers are doing. It is my new standard of excellence for this style and, honestly, it makes a lot of beers that I have genuinely liked seem pedestrian.

16. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I didn't catch this part of your post last week, so I'll ask now - what favorite place is this? Dead Reckoning? You may have helped add to my itinerary for when I pass thru your area. I'll add this question to our PM conversation.

17. steveh

Society

I couldn't resist having another one yesterday myself (been 3 days, after all), it's just spot-on.

I only wish I'd been able to try it at the brewery to prompt questions about process. Need to find an excuse to get back. :wink:

18. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

That's the one. Went back and had the wadesda side by side with velvet glow, the helles from Russian River. Both wonderful, I think velvet glow got the slight edge on this round

19. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Yikes, its scary for me to wonder if that keg was 18 months old. I suspect not as I have faith in the proprietor of the bar I got served at but you never can tell these days.

On a related note, that same bar is my last semi reliable source of schonramer bottles and we were chatting about what he knew about when fresh bottles would come in and I was musing that in my quest to clear the old stock out of the other store that used to carry them (which, was never replaced unforfunstely) I drank a fair bit of 12-15 month old pils and gold and both were better than many fresh examples of pale lagers from US craft brewers just getting into the lager game.

20. nuplastikk

nuplastikk Aug 28, 2008 Wisconsin

Noble Beast Pils!!!! Yowza! Truly a World Class beer. I want to go back bad.

Bitterbill and ChicagoJ like this.
  21. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

INDEED Mexican Honey Lager. Creamy, smooth, rich and a little sweet. Beautiful. On tap. Multiple pitchers. I rate it... Crushtown: The capital city in Flavor Country.

22. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Had a few good ones recently.

Dry Dock Smoked Helles - Reminds me of Schlenkerla helles...which isn't surprising, but it really is pretty close in taste and even in subtlety. That isn't easy.

Bierstadt Noble Stuff - An homage to Augustiner Edelstoff that gets pretty damn close for a brewery 4500 miles away. Reminds me of some great times relaxing in the Augustiner Keller.

Cohesion Tmavy Lazak - A Czech dark lager that's among the best examples of this style that I've encountered.

23. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

I had a new one last weekend Afternoon Breeze a hoppy but balanced lager from Untied Brewing in New Providence NJ.

Bitterbill and TongoRad like this.
  24. TongoRad

Society Trader

Maybe this thread should have been tied in with Lagerfest; that was two days straight of great lagers.

Once I found out that Half Time was still selling individual Lagerfest beers I placed an order for a case of:
    Wolf's Ridge Bruchenrauch
    Urban Chestnut Stammitsch
    Live Oak Pre War Pils and
    Dovetail Baltic Porter.

So I guess that answers the question in a bit more detail. :wink::sunglasses:

25. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Hold the phone...

26. jonphisher

jonphisher Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

They owe you with how many orders they may now get @TongoRad. Just ordered a small little box of goodies at super reasonable shipping!

shkin, Bitterbill, AlcahueteJ and 3 others like this.
  27. TongoRad

Society Trader

Nice, right?!

I should also add that Schilling, Von Trapp and Jack's Abby are among my regulars, so take that post with a grain of salt perhaps. :wink::slight_smile:

28. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Jan 8, 2015 California

This should be a year round offering IMO.

[​IMG]

29. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I too spent a bit more than perhaps I should have on those lagers. Too many great ones.

30. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Well it looks like I've got some online ordering to do

Bitterbill, UrbanCaveman and TongoRad like this.
  31. TongoRad

Society Trader

Whoa...

Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  32. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Sep 9, 2012 California
    Trader

Finally had Slow Pour Pils, and Helles from Bierstadt. Mind-blowing.

From earlier this summer, Jahrzent, Bottlecraft 10-year anniversary brew.

Getting some Palatine again soon to get re-acquainted with it.

33. Squire

Squire Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Fox Farm Brewery The Cottege Helles Lager.

ElmerLovejoy, Kozaka, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  34. dele

dele Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Another Fox Farm plug. I recently made my first visit there. Quiet Life Pils and Pip American Lager are both incredible.

35. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

36. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Impressing me and many others around the world since 1842
    [​IMG]

37. steveh

Society

Great minds think alike (see post #60 in this thread :wink:)

38. JackHorzempa

Society

TongoRad and DEdesings57 like this.
  39. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

AlcahueteJ, Bitterbill and TongoRad like this.
  40. G_Harn78

G_Harn78 Mar 13, 2020 California

Several, I am loving here in SoCal:
    Saaz Queen - Trademark Brewng
    Ur Pils - Pinkus
    Velvet Glow - Russian River