What's the last lager you had that impressed the hell out of you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

The Great Divide Hoss I had today was pretty damn fine.

Scotchboy, eppCOS and TongoRad like this.
  2. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Poo-Bah (2,080) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan
    Society

Leine's Toasted Bock. I bought a case. On the flip side, Leine's Northwoods Amber did not impress at all. Northwoods Lager is far superior.

3. JBogan

JBogan Savant (917) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

Made an order from Cellarmaker, Green Cheek and Radiant in the last week. No IPAs whatsoever. All the different beers (9 different beers in total) that I had were very enjoyable. 2 Pale ales but the rest were various lagers. Love it.

4. jts211

jts211 Devotee (404) Aug 5, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

JusHereFerBeer likes this.
  5. hutsondc

hutsondc Initiate (105) Feb 28, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Urban Chestnut Stammtisch...every damn time I take a sip, beer after beer, it never fails to blow my socks off. It's perfection (currently available) in a can.

6. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,514) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

All of these were incredibly tasty and refreshing lagers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

b9d9, eppCOS, AlcahueteJ and 3 others like this.
  7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,995) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

You did indeed. And only 16 posts before!

But that's ok, Rauchbiers don't get enough love, so it's worth posting twice.

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

It's that good. Certainly lives up to its name. And honestly I couldn't remember if I had, no sarcasm at all.

SLeffler27, AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  9. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Poo-Bah (1,787) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Society Trader

A single decocted hit with foam superiority, where the pils malt acts as a receptive administer on stability, which embodies that noble hop profile = A dictation that’s agreeably sweet and bready with toasted accents to graham cones. Nonetheless, there’s a smooth bittering kick to facilitate a poise from underneath, which densifies the newly mown paddock to carefully selected dried potpourri. This can be seen in Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, which continually plays on the undercards by lightly touching the earthier fronts with forested citrus and dry (cedar) wood, while connoting sweet-smelling spices and weedy fresh herbs of tarragon, marjoram, and lavender

Granted, that sharp, herbal, spicy nobility is a low compliant fitment, for the biscuit-y and cracker-y chauffeurs. So, malt maintains an inclined balance with those backend aids to cut sweetness with bitterness, yet the approach is careful to not violate the pair. In turn, a softly dry attenuation to the post rider, for echoing those malty trajectories to the grainy/concrete silage piles

The composition is medium lean on the body with a formulaic – bright – radiance that projects the malt workings to the reserved hop effects. To that end, a supportive bite to the rich sense of melanoidins with a maddening depth of fullness, for the caramel and doughy burs

[​IMG]

= A seasoned approach taken with an embracing view: “It is the cold, crisp, light, yet flavorful accompaniment…Just enough malt and noble hop flavor”

10. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,684) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Good thing I could blow up your image. Didn't read Goldfinger in your review anywhere.

mactrail, Sheppard and moodenba like this.
  11. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (543) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

Lawson's Scrag Mtn. Pils, and the various lagers I had recently at Wild East in Brooklyn.

AlcahueteJ, Bitterbill and seakayak like this.
  12. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (547) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

Stands To Reason from Suarez Brewing. Phenomenal Brew, I'm not always a fan of Smoked Beers but this one is fantastic. The Smoke is just right. One of the best Brews I've had of any style.

AlcahueteJ and seakayak like this.
  13. moodenba

moodenba Defender (622) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Too many words for me. Thanks for the tip on the brewer (Goldfinger in Downer's Grove, IL). Now what product?? In 1968, I spent a few months at Argonne National Laboratory. We went out for a beer run one evening, but ended up in Downer's Grove or nearby. That trip was frustrating, since we found that the area prohibited alcohol sales. We later discovered Lemont, which was more alcohol-friendly.

ChicagoJ and mactrail like this.
  14. steveh

Society

Original Lager -- again, thanks to the pic.
    I can assure you that Downers doesn't prohibit liquor anymore, they even have a brew-pub. :wink:

Hell, that area is so closely packed, I'm surprised you couldn't find a store just over one of the municipal lines. Maybe it wasn't so populated in '68, but I kinda doubt it.

Good thing you didn't wind up in Wheaton, they probably would have run you out of town for looking for demon alcohol! :wink:

Bitterbill likes this.
  15. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (138) May 28, 2008 Florida

North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner.

16. moodenba

moodenba Defender (622) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Lots of farm land in 68. Village population 30000 then, 50000 now. On our trip we were also looking for groceries. At a supermarket, we found that the union required that refrigerated packaged meats were not sold after about 500 PM since the butcher had gone home.

steveh likes this.
  17. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Champion (889) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Had Dovetail Pale Lager on tap. Fantastic.
    Also, Pulaski Pils from Maplewood.

FBarber likes this.
  18. JBogan

JBogan Savant (917) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

I continue to be impressed by everything I've had from Radiant Brewing. Such a Fine Line pils was excellent, a great example of their brewing skills. Had another one of their lagers yesterday but unfortunately can't remember the name at the moment, but it also was excellent.

These two are in addition to the other lagers and pale ales from Radiant which I posted earlier in another thread, each of them really good beers. These guys know what they're doing!

ChicagoJ and seakayak like this.
  19. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,911) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Was on the road in Nov.

Bierstadt Slow Pour Pils transported me back to my memories of Germany circa 1989. The Noble Stuff export Helles was close to Augustiner Edelstoff, though I thought it had more hop flavor than the Edelstoff. The Rauch Helles didn’t do it for me, it was showing signs of age, i was glad i got to try it.

At ABGB in Austin the Helles and Industry Pils were excellent as always. The Rocket 100 PrePro Pils was also great, but the Helles and Industry were matching what I wanted those days.

ChicagoJ, zid, AlcahueteJ and 6 others like this.
  20. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (3,021) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Just posted this over in “What NE Beer are You Drinking Now 2021” with a different song. I’m loving this band (new to me) and wanted to share them with you.

“Pils” - Brindle Haus

[​IMG]

Clean, full flavored Pilsner, with peppery hops and light floral notes. Crisp nibble of bitterness builds to a pleasant finish. Just a good drinking beer.

The beer is much more mild than the song, yet it works in my current headspace.

21. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (5,631) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Enjoying a pint can of Edmund’s Oast Weizenbock again while watching a little NFL football this afternoon. Definitely a legit yeast strain throwing off banana, bubblegum, and cloves to go with a large heavily toasted malt base. Not for the feint of heart or pallet at 8.5% ABV but certainly enjoyable!
    Cheers,
    Tom

22. steveh

Society

Not to go all thread-pedantic, but Weizenbock is not a lager.

23. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (3,001) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

OEC Astraia Maerzen
    [​IMG]
    One of their coolship open fermented lagers, with a really nicely complex rustic spicy undercurrent.

24. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,420) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Not to cross post like crazy, but I rarely get hands on Bocks, and I really dug this one!

(see New Beer Weekend for more)

[​IMG]

Prost!

25. arizcards

Society Trader

Man, that was a rookie mistake! Appreciate the short reply!

AlcahueteJ, Scotchboy and steveh like this.
  26. arizcards

Society Trader

In the spirit of Comedy Central's tosh.o, looking for a web redemption on my faux pas of yesterday. Today i am enjoying a proper Helles from the Costco Advent pack, Grantler Hell. This is a nice pallet cleansing lager that i would have again if available!
    Cheers,
    Tom
    [​IMG]

27. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,623) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Enegren Foliage is a beautiful Pale Lager. Lagers are an art.

28. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Poo-Bah (3,357) Dec 7, 2010 Idaho
    Society Trader

I drink very few lagers, but I must say I enjoyed the Sam Adams Winter Lager that was re-tooled this year. Tasty, even had a bit of warmth and body to it which I wasn't expecting.

ChicagoJ, TongoRad and Bitterbill like this.
  29. Aguirre

Aguirre Initiate (126) Jan 24, 2009 Missouri
    Trader

Shared (side project’s non-barrel program) crushed it this year with Oma (helles) and Opa (German pils) The price makes it a treat instead of a go-to but they are both phenomenal.

30. beardown2489

beardown2489 Zealot (509) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

New Glarus Gyrator Dopplebock

ChicagoJ and barrybeerdog like this.
  31. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (196) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Spencer Premium Pilsner and also just revisited Brooklyn Lager for the first time in a while. Can’t let that amount of time pass before I have another. Just bought a 4 pack of Paulaner Original for $6.99-can’t beat that.

#1231 BruChef, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  32. BruChef

Was looking up Brooklyn lager here, expecting it to be in within the top ten ranked Vienna lagers but it wasn’t even in the top 100. Come to find out that it’s classified as an American red/amber lager (ranked #10) which seems like a mistake. Is it because it’s dry hopped? The description seemingly states that Brooklyn’s intentions were to brew a Vienna lager.

33. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,820) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Brooklyn Brewery considers it to be an Amber Lager. From their website:

“STYLE AMERICAN AMBER LAGER

ABV 5.2%

AVAILABILITY YEAR-ROUND

FORMAT 4PK 16OZ CANS, 6 & 12PK 12OZ CANS, AND 6/12 & 24PK 12OZ BOTTLES

TASTING NOTES BOLD GRAPEFRUIT & SMOOTH, TOASTY CARAMEL NOTES”

https://brooklynbrewery.com/brooklyn-beers/year-round/brooklyn-lager/

Cheers!

34. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Goldfinger Black Pils. They describe it as such:
    The hops really do work well with the roasted malts, but it still feels like a pilsner. Draft only for now, but hoping that one makes its way into cans eventually.

35. JackHorzempa

Society

Susquehanna Brewing produces a Black Pilsner they brand as Pils Noir:

“Pils-Noir

Our beer brewing roots stretch from Northeastern Pennsylvania to the edges of the Black Forest. This Pils-Noir is our tribute to that heritage. It’s a twist on the classic pilsner beer, using a blend of Pale Pilsner and Crystal malts, naturally darkened with the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing. Finished with noble Saaz hops and Lager aging.

Style: Black Pilsner

Color: Nearly Black

Availability: Year Round

5.4% ABV

33 IBU

Available In: six-pack bottle draft case”

https://www.sbcbeer.com/project/pils-noir/

From a post I made in 2013:

“It is a well-made dark lager with an excellent balance of flavors between the malt flavors (from the malliard reactions during the decoction) and the judicious hopping schedule. A truly tasty beer due to its wonderful balance. This is not the type of beer which will be ‘popular’ with the majority of BAs since it is not a BIG, BOLD beer.”

According to the brewey’s website this beer is still being produced but I have not seen it at any of my beer retailers in a long time (over 5 years ago).

Cheers!

[​IMG]

36. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,995) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Does it have Vienna malts in it?

37. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Zealot (543) Nov 28, 2016 New York

Brooklyn Lager is described by the brewers as a Pre-Prohibition American lager, i.e. Amber Lager. Also, its on the website.

https://brooklynbrewery.com/brooklyn-beers/year-round/brooklyn-lager/

I don't differentiate much between the styles since they tend to come across very similar in coloration or on the palette. Both can be considered dark lagers as opposed to helles, pilsners or Adjunct American.

Brooklyn has a pretty damn good Pilsner, but i haven't seen it around much recently. You actually get to hear Brewmaster Garrett Oliver's take on Pilsners in this viral beer tasting video.

#1237 AccipiterofBeer, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    ChicagoJ, JackHorzempa and FBarber like this.
  38. BruChef

These are the notes listed for Brooklyn Lager here on BA:

Notes: In the late 1800’s Brooklyn was one of the largest brewing centers in the country, home to more than 45 breweries. Lager beer in the “Vienna” style was one of the local favorites. Brooklyn Lager is amber-gold in color and displays a firm malt center supported by a refreshing bitterness and floral hop aroma. Caramel malts show in the finish. The aromatic qualities of the beer are enhanced by “dry-hopping”, the centuries-old practice of steeping the beer with fresh hops as it undergoes a long, cold maturation. The result is a wonderfully flavorful beer, smooth, refreshing and very versatile with food. Dry-hopping is largely a British technique, which we’ve used in a Viennese-style beer to create an American original.

Not sure about the grain bill but some clone recipes use Vienna and some don’t. BYO does not. I guess it’s loosely based on a Vienna style lager? Makes more sense to me now. Either way, great beer. Thanks all!

AlcahueteJ and AccipiterofBeer like this.
  39. nuplastikk

nuplastikk Initiate (113) Aug 28, 2008 Wisconsin

Human Robot - Niebo

A Polish Pils, it is awesome.

JackHorzempa and FBarber like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Society

I have yet to drink Niebo; it is brewed using Lubelski hops:

"Lubelski Hops with an alpha acid of 2.8%

Sometimes marketed as Lublin or Lubelski, it’s high humulene content is outdone only by its rare, high levels of farnesene. This oil profile results in interesting aromas of magnolia and lavender.

Pedigree: Derived from Saaz
    Brewing Usage: Aroma
    Aroma: Noble-like, floral, earthy."

https://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/blog/lubelski-hops/

Every year I brew a reconstruction of the original Michelob beer of 1896 and I use Czech Saaz hops for the flavor and aroma additions. This year I decided to 'spice' things up and use Lubelski hops instead. I look forward to seeing how this batch turns out.

I will not be 'branding' this beer as a Polish Pils since the only Polish ingredient is the finishing hops. The malt will be German (Weyermann Pilsner Malt) and the yeast will be American (Wyeast 2007).

Na Zdrowie!

FBarber likes this.