What's the last lager you had that impressed the hell out of you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Feb 16, 2020.

1. keithmurray

keithmurray (0) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

My only question is why are you doing it in secret lol?

AlcahueteJ, Premo88, steveh and 2 others like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Never seen that can before either.

Premo88 and Bitterbill like this.
  3. nc41

Society Trader

It’s the one AAL I’ve never bumped into.

Premo88 and Bitterbill like this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill (0) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Because if I posted in WBAYDN, it would sort of be too repetitive. :wink:

Premo88, keithmurray and TongoRad like this.
  5. grantcty

grantcty (310) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

These ones do, let's hope that all of the new shipments to the US will have them going forward. I know that prior shipments didn't as I could never find a code on their beers in Wisconsin, so I never bought them. I need to create an account with one of the services so that I can post pictures.

For example, the Maximator had the following code: L311081952. I assumed it was the 311th day of the 2019. I emailed the brewery and they confirmed my assumption. The gentleman also said that Maximator was a seasonal beer and only available from November until March or so.

6. TheHopsman

TheHopsman (0) Apr 7, 2015 Nebraska
    Trader

Ottakringer Vienna Lager.

It could possibly be one of, if not the only, Vienna brewed Vienna Lager available in the US.

I steer clear of Pilsners and Lagers for the most part and drink IPAs, Stouts, Sours, etc. but this beer had my taste-buds surprised and "impressed the hell out of me".

Try it if you get the chance. :beers:

7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill (0) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Hehe..I drank that when I was in Vienna.

8. defunksta

defunksta (590) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

Excellent thread. For the northern midwest, I would say Keller Pils by Summit Brewing or Choice Pils by Castle Danger. Both have fantastic citrus flavors while remaining light, crisp, and dry.

MNAle likes this.
  9. spersichilli

spersichilli (0) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

Suarez Family Ms. Frank was fucking incredible

also had Wren House x Horus x Superstition Poor Attendance which was super unique. The mead barrel lagering lead it to have a nice fruity finish that melded well with the traditional lager character

10. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star (0) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

Just had my last Raven Heart Pilsner from Anchorage. Felt a couple percent over the 5% ABV and it was an off-style oddball but pretty good overall

11. roan22

roan22 (0) Jun 30, 2004 New Jersey

If pilsners count I liked Human Robot's Hallertau Pils, I had it on Tuesday. Also, Bissell Brothers made a wet hop lager around harvest time in 2019 that was delicious.

12. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 (0) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina

Budweiser Copper Lager and Laegermeister (sorry I couldn't resist)

13. joerooster

joerooster (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Von Trapp makes great lagers, probably the best I've had but Coors Banquet is perfectly fine with me at less than $20 for a case.

FWIW, most of the craft lagers I've had from new school breweries (those surviving on hazies and pastry stouts) are not very good, drinkable but not well executed and overpriced ($12+ for a 4 pack).

roan22 and brother_rebus like this.
  14. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ (590) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I'll try to do you a favor and buy some Augustiner myself and post the picture for you.

It's hard work, but I don't mind. :wink:

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to impart some knowledge. But Pilsners ARE lagers.

Pilsners DO count! And they're awesome!

roan22, meefmoff, jbear68 and 3 others like this.
  15. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman (275) Mar 16, 2018 Tennessee

Their Helles and Dunkel aren't that bad either, but don't tell my Salzburger friends that!:wink:

16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa (735) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Did you get a chance to try the other lagers of Human Robot?

“Czech 10

Pale Lager | 4.2% abv | $6

Beautiful bready malt balanced with a kiss of floral spice. Brewed lovingly with German Pils malt and a smidgen of sweet Munich then hopped with Bohemia's gift to the world Saaz hops.”

“Polotmavy

Czech Garnet Lager | 5.2% abv | $6

Subtle, yet satisfying. Translated as 'half-dark', this decoction brewed lager has a slight roast flavor from Vienna and chocolate malts.”

https://www.humanrobotbeer.com/

If so, what are your thoughts on these beers?

Cheers!

@rotsaruch

roan22 likes this.
  17. jstilwell

jstilwell (0) Oct 21, 2008 Massachusetts

Well I would be if anyone would join me, but no that's looking through the window from the inside!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  18. officerbill

officerbill (0) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

AlcahueteJ and nc41 like this.
  19. RacerX5k

RacerX5k (0) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Look. As an ex smoker who pre craft never drank much (only weekends with a little weed, or out to eat or whatever) it was always Yuengling Lager, or something like Miller Genuine Draft. Then I quit smoking, started playing alot of poker in bars, drinking pitchers of Lager (as we know it in PA) got to the point where I needed something bigger, better. That's when I Googled world's strongest lager, and discovered my first Samichclaus. So became a big fan of the Bock, which, of course, is a lager. And my 80 somehthing Bud drinking uncle always said my grandfather loved a good Bock, dark, strong German beer. So on that note ...

Trogenator an early favorite, still drink it, just had one tonight, another in the fridge. St Nikolas Bock (is it still?) the number 1 Bock for good reason, when, if?, I can find it, is so fucking good. Had the Von Trapp Vienna? recently, real authentic, German lager. Stoudt's Gold (I mention because I recently read about her retirement). Victory made an real good Cooper Lager back in the day. And one more, I can think of, since we booked our vacation shore hotel today (yes that would by NJ, duh, there's lots of beaches, very few shores), the Cape May Pale Lager is really delicious, for an 5% alcohol beer. Funny thing though, for the very rare time I go out for Happy Hour hot wings anymore, it will always be a Lager, see above. X5k, out.

#299 RacerX5k, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    OffTrail likes this.
  20. nc41

Society Trader

Klister and officerbill like this.
  21. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ (590) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I think they keep the beer garden open year round and have the heated lamps right?

22. 19etz55

19etz55 (0) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Sam Adams Sam '76

23. Electros

Electros (0) Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Moderator Society Trader

Von Bugle Munich Lager.

24. roan22

roan22 (0) Jun 30, 2004 New Jersey

No, sorry I did not try either of those.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  25. mikeinportc

mikeinportc (0) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

My most recent Wow lager was probably this one , back in April
    [​IMG]

PapaGoose03, nc41 and officerbill like this.
  26. brother_rebus

brother_rebus (0) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

Pepperill Pils

Slugged two after a hard day in the sidecountry trees.

seakayak likes this.
  27. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin (0) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

[​IMG] I always wanted to try Yuengling and finally did when I was in Nashville summer of 2018. Wouldn't say my mind was blown, but I really enjoyed it. Regretted that I didn't have a chance to stop somewhere to grab some to bring back to WI.

[​IMG]

28. JamFuel

JamFuel (0) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

[​IMG]

Gonna be the obscure Swede that I am and say Östersunds Nya Ångbryggeri. This is the third beer I’ve had from them, and the first in particular, Klassisk Pilsner, was amazing. Perfectly made, ridiculously clean and crisp beyond belief. This is a brewery I already hold in very high esteem.

tekstr1der, DiUr, AlcahueteJ and 5 others like this.
  29. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 (790) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Throwing in a hybrid (i.e. Altbier), as OMB’s flagship is always deserving: “the full flavor of an ale with the crisp, clean refreshment of a lager”

Profile of roasted caramel malt, toasted grains, and biscuits of honey with a slight hop kick. The outline provides fig & date nut bread, sweet maple toffee, and modest baked banana loaves. While the openings embroil more of the subtle fruit character in fruited skins, floral grape-nuts, and strawberry French toast in a tepid surrounding. A Reputable take that’s earthy, herbal, and well established: One that embellishes a creamy cleanness to a snappy, crisp, dry finish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Crusader

Crusader (420) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

I second the Klassisk Pilsner, what a gem of a beer.

JamFuel likes this.
  31. JamFuel

JamFuel (0) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

I’ve ordered a few more, I can see it being my standard pilsner.

Crusader likes this.
  32. Reef

Reef (600) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

[​IMG]
    Bierkeller Bockbier, but you have to hang around Columbia SC until @herrburgess has a popup bier garden. Deliciously smooth and malty.

tekstr1der, tzieser, DiUr and 11 others like this.
  33. 1100

1100 (0) Feb 4, 2010 Florida

Oyster City Tate’s Helles. Brewed in Apalachicola Florida.

mikeinportc likes this.
  34. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual (0) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Beer Camp: Hoppy Lager (2015)
    Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Yikes!

mikeinportc likes this.
  35. followerofmen

followerofmen (0) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

Had one tonight and loved it. Absolutely had the essence of a Be Hoppy but a little more crisp and clean.

tzieser and mikeinportc like this.
  36. steveh

steveh (760) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Eehh... wadda they know? :wink:

Scott -- talk to me. :slight_smile:

AlcahueteJ and herrburgess like this.
  37. walterfarris

walterfarris (0) Dec 7, 2017 California
    Trader

Green Cheek recently came out with We’re Listening; amazingly aromatic, hop-forward “California” Pilsner. Pretty sure I audibly “wow’ed” by myself

mikeinportc likes this.
  38. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,275) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Full disclosure: didn't read the thread.

Would like to ask the same question, differently:

What's the most recent (insert style here) that impressed the bejeebers out of you?

The deeper one gets into anything, the more difficult it is to make an impression., let alone be a stand out. The "most impressive" IPA, Brown Ale, history book, biography, whodunit, travel guide? What does it take to actually impress you, in general?

mikeinportc and TongoRad like this.
  39. WildernessMonk

WildernessMonk (0) Feb 13, 2016 Massachusetts

Jacks Abbey House Lager...

dmirelli and mikeinportc like this.
  40. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 (1,000) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You make it sound like @herrburgess is stingy with his beer and you have to campout on his doorstep. :wink: