What's the last malt-forward beer that impressed you? (That's not high ABV or barrel-aged.)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Jul 30, 2020.

1. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,266) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Does rye count on the malt side? Either way, this beer fits, with a link to the Instagram post/video from all three collaborators describing it: Carolina Riverbend Rye by Three Notch'd and Ornery, both from Virginia.

The beer was brewed with coastal Virginia malts and Carolina rye processed by a Carolina malt house. The can I reviewed was on its best by date, so maybe the hops had faded (though maybe not after only about 3 month), but it had a nice old school amber ale-like malt base and a nice bit of spice from the rye. Other cans were a little less rye-forward to me, but still full of malt/grain goodness - and I am not a big amber ale fan.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this at least becomes a seasonal, I'll be looking for it next spring at least.

GetMeAnIPA, MrOH, TheGent and 6 others like this.
  2. zid

zid Meyvn (1,206) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Seems like people are counting the "imperial" designation too literally and not going with the spirit as I assume it was intended. Either that or they just don't care. :wink:

It's still early, but so far we've got:
    2 "quads"
    2 Scotch ales
    a barley wine
    3 Doppelbocks
    and even an "Imperial Dunkel"

C'mon folks... we're still waiting for a 15% ABV brew. :wink::slight_smile:

MrOH, AlcahueteJ, officerbill and 8 others like this.
  3. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,106) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

When in Doubt is killer! Wish it were available here in Pittsburgh. I seek it out when I'm in the Hershey area.

4. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,106) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Neshaminy Creek - Churchville Lager

I made a trip to Lancaster, PA recently and was able to score some of this and bring it back to the Pittsburgh area. I first had it on-tap at the brewery and it was love at first sip but hadn't had it in a couple years. It's just a great Vienna Lager. It'd be a staple in my fridge if I could get it here.

5. zid

Trader

Before you-know-what, I was drinking at Suarez and I left to go to a place that had Riegele Aechtes Dunkel. I love drinking Suarez beers (and it's a rarity that I can do so in their space), so at the time I was thinking to myself, "Am I an idiot?" (I usually ask myself that question when I first wake up every morning... but not typically when out having a beer.)

After one sip of that Dunkel, I wished that I spent the whole evening with that beer instead of splitting my time... which is saying something. Maybe it was just the right beer at the right time, but man did I love Riegele Aechtes Dunkel that night. We need to meet again. :cry:

6. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (473) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Definitely second the Shipping Out of Boston love. Ambers aren't usually my favorite but I've bought multiple twelve packs of this already. And a hefty 'cheers' to it replacing the Orange Wheat in their 12 packs!! (many thanks for writing those letters @ecpho )

Idle Hands new (? - not really sure) German Pilsner 'Gretel' was exactly what the doctor ordered this past 100 degree week. Crackery, crisp, poundable goodness. Looking forward to lots more potential entries in this thread once the Oktoberfests hit here any day now...

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,663) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Kudos to @Smakawhat for reminding me about Czech Dark Lagers!

First, let's discuss some Tmavý Ležák beers I drank last year during my two week vacation to the Czech Republic:

Below is a photo of Bernard Tmavý Ležák:

[​IMG]

And here is a photo of U Fleků Tmavý Ležák:

[​IMG]

Triple Crossing in Richmond, VA brews a tasty Tmavý Ležák:

[​IMG]

And saving the best for last, my homebrewed Tmavý Ležák:

[​IMG]

Cheers to Tmavý Ležák beers!

8. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (473) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Damn, I really need to revisit Rolling Rock.

DCH, AlcahueteJ, scootercrabb and 9 others like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Society

Don't forget to ask for Rolling Rock Dark. :wink:

And remember: Don't be afraid of the dark!

Cheers!

10. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,028) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Ive has a couple of the Tree House <8% milk/sweet stouts and found them pretty amazing IMO. How they get that level of richness in the body and pastry stout-like sweetness in a non-imperial ABV level is just crazy level mad science.

AlcahueteJ, Amendm and KRug like this.
  11. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (164) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

12. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (491) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yuengling’s Hershey’s Chocolate Porter

13. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,488) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

I'll say Outer Range Outings Belgian Dark Strong Ale. 8%. Tastes like all malt. Rounded, molasses, like fields of sweet gold. With a kick.

elproducer and Amendm like this.
  14. Todd

Todd Founder (6,141) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

I just updated the title and post. Fingers crossed. :neutral_face:

AlcahueteJ, Amendm, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  15. zid

Trader

Either that or it’s just milk sugar. :wink:

unlikelyspiderperson and FBarber like this.
  16. jzlyo

jzlyo Poo-Bah (2,338) Mar 4, 2012 Iowa
    Society

Pretty much every Pohjala I’ve found, all of their porters and stouts I’ve had are great.

17. JohnniEMc

JohnniEMc Disciple (335) Sep 5, 2015 Pennsylvania

I continue to find Old Chub a malty delight.

#57 JohnniEMc, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2020
  18. moodenba

moodenba Disciple (385) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I don't have too many good malty beer alternatives lately, due to the IPA onslaught. For years my favorite was Blue Point ESB. When that disappeared, I went to Montauk Driftwood: also gone. Lately I've taken to Lidl Store 735 brewery No 03, which is a bargain amber ale. Keegan's Hurricane Kitty, is a bit too hoppy to qualify, but hits the spot. I may have to go resurrect the home brewing equipment in the basement (including my grandfather's prohibition era cast iron capper).

19. moodenba

moodenba Disciple (385) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I posted above on recent beers, but Elliot Ness is great. Their lagers all seem worth drinking. I can't get Great Lakes beers in Eastern NY, though.

20. tdm168

tdm168 Poo-Bah (3,331) Aug 10, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

There are two very small local breweries to me that have made some tremendous malt forward beers. Logyard Brewing in Kane, PA brews Tally Brook Nut Brown and Mahogany Red Ale, an Irish Red. Bent Run Brewing in Warren, PA brews Deer Foot brown ale and a malt forqard red ale, Allegheny Amber.

mike22ne and Amendm like this.
  21. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,213) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

This is just the first thing to come to mind--and this was a few months ago, mind you--but Anderson Valley's Winter Solstice is really, really good. So much brown bread and caramel going on in that beer. Pure malt goodness.

22. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,508) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Just made a little run to a local brewery, redwood curtain, who does solid-excellent work across a wide range of malt forward styles. Today's grab included a number of malty favorites including, a bitter, a kolsch, and a dry Irish stout. All delightful

23. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,789) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I have a small local brewery, Territorial, that specializes in lagers, especially German ones. When they collaborated with another brewery that is 20 miles away, Albion Malleable, and brewed the Black is Beautiful stout recipe I didn't know what to expect. It's a great stout from a great recipe (I think they followed the suggested recipe without any deviations). I don't know at what point a 'high abv' threshold is defined, but this one comes in at 7.9%. Very tasty.

Territorial also brews a great Maibock and an Imperial Vienna Lager and they release both of them in late spring. Both are still on tap so I've been enjoying growlers of them since this pandemic set in and getting my fill of malt-forward beers.

24. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (2,943) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Real Ale (Blanco, TX) 8Track amber ale is a nice, smooth very flavorful beer from the other side of Austin.

25. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Initiate (190) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois

Kinslahger Dunkel. I had this a couple of years ago and didn't think much of it. I am SO glad I gave it another try! It totally hits all the right notes for my palate. It's rich and roasty with notes of baking chocolate but has a pleasingly dry finish. Clocks in at 5.1% and does not seem at all heavy, even with the perceptible body and mouthfeel.

Kinslahger's version of Black is Beautiful was also outstanding. They classify it as a tropical stout, common in Jamaica where their head brewer is from. It's lager fermented, comes in at 6% and has an incredibly creamy, almost nitro-like feel with a complex flavor profile (coffee-like fruits, slight caramel, heavily roasted but not burnt), minimal sweetness, and a crisp finish.

26. IMN0P

IMN0P Initiate (26) Oct 19, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Schilling’s Czech style dark lager modernism blew me away. Very dark malt forward. With a close second going to OEC coolship lager black.

27. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (328) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Malts, now we're speaking my language! You hop heads can have all of the hops that you want, I will be over here enjoying the smooth malty goodness.

I second this, ended up really loving the Dunkel.

Yards Brawler - I forgot how great this beer is and how tasty it is for such a lower ABV, I definitely need to drink more of it.

28. dannydetox

dannydetox Disciple (393) Apr 30, 2011 California

Little Shady from Boomtown Brewery in LA is a session worthy black lager. almost black in hue, with a roasty nose, yet a clean, dry, lager finish provides both warmth and refreshment. Growler fills only at this point, but I heard they may can it

Amendm likes this.
  29. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (328) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

This is good to know and coincidental timing. Unfortunately JA is not as easy to find in my area as it used to be but in using their beer finder there were a few places near me that had the variety pack, which is what I wanted. I stopped by one a few days ago and saw that it was canned in May and seeing that I already wasn't thrilled about the orange beer I ended up passing. I guess now the trick will be getting those few packs to move before the new ones come in but if they never move...

If it's any consolation the JA beer finder is accurate from my recent experience.

30. Amendm

Amendm Champion (842) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

von Trapp Brewing's Oktoberfest. Moderate bitterness lets the malt stands out.

Cheers.

#70 Amendm, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    AlcahueteJ, Sheppard, BruChef and 5 others like this.
  31. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (221) Nov 8, 2009 New York

-Night Walk (rye schwarzbier) from Folksbier was outstanding.

-Modernism (Czech dark lager) from Schilling

-Paintin’ the Town (brown ale) from Thin Man and The Whale (Also a brown ale) from Community Beer Works. Both out of Buffalo and both fantastic.

#71 BruChef, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  32. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (190) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Another Real Ale one that I enjoyed recently was El Camino, which the brewery calls an Imperial Mexican-style lager. Goofy style name aside, the beer drinks like nice malty maibock, with a fairly light body despite the 7% abv.

champ103 and Amendm like this.
  33. Beaconheath

Beaconheath Initiate (63) Oct 10, 2013 South Dakota

When I take a beer in hand, for me the malt is the steak, and hops are the sauce: I'd rather have a little sauce on my steak than a little steak with my sauce. One of my favorite styles is the hard-to-find German Altbier.
    Trader Joe's sells a fine specimen called Alternate Dimension, brewed by Josephsbrau of San Jose, CA. However my home—Sioux Falls, SD—is still waiting for Trader Joe's to come to town.
    Another excellent Altbier is Sticke Alt Düsseldorf Style Ale, brewed by Summit of St Paul, MN. But in recent years they've only marketed it in a larger variety pack.
    Copper Alt by Zipline of Omaha, NE is also quite nice.
    The quest for domestically made Altbiers goes on ...

34. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Crusader (789) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Dovetail Helles Lager out of Chicago. This beer is an absolute crusher and great for the style.
    I would also love to try their Vienna lager, which I hear is fantastic as well.

35. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Initiate (42) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois

Any of the Baltic Porters that are actually from northeastern Europe (especially Latvia, Lithuania and Poland) fits the bill for me. I don't recall the last brand I had, but Aldaris, Utenos, Grand Imperial, Black Boss, or Zywiec Porters are all good. My favorite was Okocim Porter but it was discontinued for a while. Carlsberg now lists a new porter under the Okocim brand (Okocim Mistrzowski Porter) but I haven't seen it in real life and don't know if it's the same beer.

officerbill and TongoRad like this.
  36. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I still get Zywiec Porter from time to time. At $9.99 a sixer it makes for a great change of pace beer. And that underlying fig/prune malt character is very nice indeed.

sharpski, PapaGoose03, ecpho and 3 others like this.
  37. JackHorzempa

Society

That was a favorite of mine too and I was very disappointed when this beer got discontinued.
    Well, Okocim Porter was 8.1% ABV and this new beer is listed as being 9.6% ABV so in this context they are indeed different beers. Maybe the flavor profile is similar? it has been so long since I had an Okocim Porter I would personally not trust my beer memory here if I ever tasted this new beer.

Cheers!

FBarber and TongoRad like this.
  38. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (560) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Okay, how about Haunted House, a brown ale fall seasonal from Allagash (6.66 ABV :wink:)
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/193885/

An outstanding beer, truly a pleasure to drink on a cool fall day.

AlcahueteJ, Amendm, zid and 1 other person like this.
  39. JackHorzempa

Society

I have never heard of this beer before - thanks for the tip.

I am unsure if this beer will make it down to my area but I will certainly look for it.

Cheers!

Amendm, officerbill and FBarber like this.
  40. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (103) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

Cheers to Small Change. I think I've tried 4 of their offerings and either really enjoyed or loved them all.