What's the last malt-forward beer that impressed you? (That's not high ABV or barrel-aged.)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Jul 30, 2020.

1. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Disciple (384) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

You folks in the Northeast don’t realize how good you have it with beer in general and specifically American-made lagers! I want to move there one day.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,662) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, I do.

To quote my wife's aunt: "I am blessed".

Cheers!

3. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,080) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

As Mr. Festus Haggin (Ken Curtis) might say, "when I get a hankerin' for malty brew I head to the Highlands for a few of dem Gaelic Ales".

Amendm and officerbill like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

Society

Does Groundskeeper Willie provide similar advice?

[​IMG]

5. Amendm

Amendm Champion (842) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Some of us do realize and appreciate living in a target rich environment, it’s not all about murk around here.

Cheers

AlcahueteJ, PapaGoose03 and TongoRad like this.
  6. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (330) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last one I had was definitely Nya Carnegiebryggeriet Bärzen (a combination of the Swedish slang word bärs meaning beer, and Märzen) which I had last September. Nya Carnegiebryggeriet being a joint venture between Brooklyn Brewery and Carlsberg. It's a Märzen beer made with Vienna malt, light Munich and dark Munich malt. So no pilsner malt which would dilute the flavor of the other malts. When I had it it smelled like a newly opened bag of crushed Munich malt (which I've used in my own homebrewing) and the taste was not far behind. The Vienna and Munich malts bring some great malt flavors and aromas to the table and they clearly don't need any help from caramel malt or black malt to give beers a deep brown color appropriate for dark Bavarian type lager beers (which is something I have found out through my own homebrewing as well). I wish more breweries would opt for a similar grist when brewing a "dark" lager beer.

7. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,080) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Sho nuf!

JackHorzempa and officerbill like this.
  8. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (330) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

[​IMG]

I brewed a Vienna malt SMaSH beer (so 100% Vienna malt) a few years ago just to get a sense of the malt flavor and color strenght of Vienna malt and this was the result (my homebrews have all been top fermented but I experimented with lager beer malt grists). It looks very similar, and tasted very similar, to the 80% light munich 20% pilsner malt homebrew I made. I imagine that in order for there to have been golden colored Vienna lager beers, and or Vienna Märzen beers, different malts had to have been made and used as is suggested by various sources. This type of malt would have been on the darker end of the spectrum I imagine. Still it's a beautiful color, and no caramel or color malt is needed. A beer like Bärzen shows what a commercial brewery can achieve with these kinds of malts, yet I think there is more to be discovered. What if the beer made is decoction mashed, fermented cold and then long lagered? All in an effort to keep more of the extract in the beer. Sort of like a Schlenkerla Märzen without the smoke or the roasted malt, but with an older higher hopping rate. I think some very nice, and very rustic tasting lager beers could be made in this way.

Billet, TongoRad, AlcahueteJ and 2 others like this.
  9. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,595) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I’ve been avoiding picking this up because there’s been so many wonderful beer options, and this is year round, so I figured...eh, I can wait.

Well, not sure how much longer I can wait given these recommendations. @Todd that’s some high praise from a fellow lager lover. Thanks for the killer review.

Your home brew looks just as good as the others!

Wow, nice local. Can’t remember the last time (if ever) I’ve seen a US brewery have a Kolsch, Bitter, and Irish Dry Stout on the menu.

BruChef, meefmoff, Amendm and 5 others like this.
  10. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,507) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Yes we are blessed, same menu offered a Belgian porter (porter fermented with their house Belgian yeast) a pilsener (which I also grabbed but figured isn't so much in the spirit of the thread) a cream ale, and a half dozen hoppy offerings.

They also regularly brew an alt, a dubbel, trippel, English and American barleywines, plus a barreled sour program.

There's probably others I'm forgetting but they generally do a great job of keeping it interesting and I really hope they are able.to ride this thing out because their model has always been draught only.

BruChef, Amendm, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  11. AlcahueteJ

Society

My contribution will be Tmavý from Notch.

[​IMG]

And their Munich Dunkel on tap, which also came with this fine steinkrug for outdoor drinking.

[​IMG]

12. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,866) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Have you had the Devil's Purse cans from South Dennis, MA? I think they are distributed by Night Shift Distro. Their flagship year-rounds are a kolsch-style ale and an ESB. I liked them both when they first came to the market and just picked up the Handline kolsch again last week. Definitely a traditional example, and the ESB Surfman's Check is good too. They also have some Irish reds and different stouts, including an oyster stout I believe, but not an Irish Dry Stout.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/38735/

13. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,809) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Drinking Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel. Perfect balance with an amazing malt character, wheat, yeast flavors. Its been a while since I had one, and its every bit as good as I remember.

puck1225, eppCOS, AlcahueteJ and 3 others like this.
  14. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (819) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

A constant noise , Forest and Main. My favorite beer of the year so far. A really tasty very low ABV English bitter.

Enjoy

15. JackHorzempa

Society

And unfortunately a beer style we see too little of.

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  16. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,395) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

17. KentT

KentT Aspirant (232) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

For me, that last Malt-Forward which impressed me was the Grevensteiner Original, which is a superb Kellerbier. I do also get Veltins Pilsner and like it a lot for the style.

18. KentT

KentT Aspirant (232) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

Being an occasional enthusiast of the 8-Track, which is called being a Tracker. I like the idea of this beer. Ker-Chunk back at you (the sound made when the 8 track cartridge switches tracks (4 of them aka programs on the tape cartridge for those who forgot or are new to the idea).

champ103 likes this.
  19. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Currently drinking the aforementioned pilsner, 299 pilsner from Redwood Curtain.
    The malt work wonderfully in this admittedly hoppy brew. I post it hear because I finally put a name to a flavor I've found in pilsners for a while and not been able to place. Its corn, like fresh ground corn meal. It really works for me in combination with the rustic, crusty bread flavors balanced against the herbal/earthy hops

champ103, AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  20. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Meyvn (1,209) Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota
    Society Trader

21. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,139) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

Like others in this thread, I'm loving JA's Shipping Out of Boston and Von Trapp's Dunkel.

Jacobier10, FBarber, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  22. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (181) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

I might be cheating a bit on the high ABV thing-although 8% is actually not that high in the current environment-so I'll say Mc Chouffe.

FBarber likes this.
  23. AlcahueteJ

Society

Oh yeah, I dig both of those beers from Devil’s Purse. Handline and Goody Two Shoes from Exhibit A are two excellent local examples of Kölsch. Notch’s might be my favorite, and Schilling’s Herkules that I had last night was no slouch either.

FBarber and StoutElk_92 like this.
  24. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,003) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

This was a real challenge. I had to go all the way back to the early Spring (pre-Covid).

Geppetto Milk Stout from Resilience Brewing in NH.

It's 6.3% so it's not a low ABV but it's not high either.

Good coffee notes and a nice slightly sticky sweetness.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  25. Billet

Billet Aspirant (216) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan

Old Nation made a series of Lagers early this year, a Pilsner, Helles, and a Vienna Lager. The Vienna Lager in particular has a very nice malt bill, I'll be buying it until it is gone...

26. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,270) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

This is a very good malt-forward, amber ale that I very much enjoyed today.
    [​IMG]

StoutElk_92, FBarber and zid like this.
  27. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,270) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

Here is another excellent malt-accented ale with a moderate alcohol level.
    [​IMG]

jonphisher and FBarber like this.
  28. AlcahueteJ

Society

No picture, but I was still floored by how good Weihenstephan Original is when I cracked a bottle this past weekend.

I have many many lagers in my fridge right now, but this still stood out. That distinct sweet bready malt profile that you taste in many imports (and rarely taste in domestic offerings) was on full display with this ~3 month old bottle.

Also a shout out to Summerfest this year, so good it's addictive. I don't bulk purchase, but I had to keep going back for more of this.

I think Summerfest should count, not EXACTLY malt-forward due to its superb balance, but whatever.

StoutElk_92, FBarber and TongoRad like this.
  29. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Zealot (518) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Trader

Tombstone Classic Pils was very good, crisp, clean, fresh, refreshing and no skunkiness detected. Their Strata Pils was otherworldly, but that was 8.5 % and did have some hops present but boy, oh boy, that just shows what can be done. Call me a simpleton but finally having two Yuenglings on tap at the Acme Oyster House in New Orleans last summer was a revelation. A tasty if uncomplicated Amber Lager that was super refreshing and satisfying in the stifling heat of the bayou. It just blew me away that our first craft lager brewed almost 200 years ago still holds up. One I haven't had for a while but is an old favorite is the Munchen (Munich Gold) Helles lager from Hacker Pschorr. Just a perfectly balanced beer with a sweet little kiss on the finish.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  30. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (560) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

From Allagash:
    Keep an eye out for it. You'll really like it.

31. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,082) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yuengling's Traditional Lager, though, was first brewed in 1987 (and wouldn't be considered "craft" by the B.A., due to its adjunct usage, for another coupla dozen years). :wink:

32. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,346) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

KC Bier Maibock....KC Bier Helles....KC Bier Pilsner.....KC Bier Dunkel.....KC Bier Hefe...Unfortunately I will not be accessing that goldmine of quality often as they are limited to parts of Missouri and Kansas.

33. TheBricenator

TheBricenator Aspirant (238) Nov 13, 2007 Oregon

Buoy Ruckus Red Ale. I randomly found (hadn't heard of it and have only seen it at one beer store) and bought this beer on my brother and I's homebrew day after a two-year hiatus and it completely blew me away. Malt forward for sure and a very unique blend of malts (Red X, Crystal, Victory, Roasted Barley, and Midnight Wheat) brought a lot of flavors to the table. Cheers!

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  34. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

The Kolsch from redwood curtain was quite nice after about 5 days in the crowler. It had lost a half step in its crispness but it was a wonderfully bread crust/rich cracker flavored experience, glad it was the crowler I saved for last

35. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,944) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  36. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (127) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

I’ve recently enjoyed a few Dunkels over the past few month, despite the heat!

Hofbräu Dunkel on draft
    [​IMG]

Traunsteiner Dunkel
    [​IMG]

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel
    [​IMG]

Of these, Traunsteiner was my favorite, but each are wonderfully great, malt-forward beers.

Prost!

37. dele

dele Initiate (72) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Though it flies under the radar because of the brewery's renown for IPAs and candy stouts, I found Tree House's Bear, a brown ale, to be a fabulous malt-driven beer. It has the signature Tree House softness with all the caramel and earthy flavors you'd want in a brown ale.

This fall, I'll miss drinking Bell's Best Brown Ale. Bell's is distributed here but I doubt my local stores will bring in this offering. It's one of the Midwestern beers I miss the most now that I've moved east.

38. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

That Traunsteiner isn't so easy to come by but just might be the best Munich Dunkel you can get in the US.

39. JackHorzempa

Society

Yeah, I do very much enjoy drinking Traunstein Dunkel but for me it is a draft only available beer. The last time I had it was on cask at the annual Philly German Bierfest; I really enjoyed this beer served via cask.

My other drinking experiences were on draft at Brauhaus Schmitz in Philly.

Prost!

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and TongoRad like this.
  40. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Now that Zum Schneider in NYC has closed that may my closest option myself :wink:.

Jacobier10 and FBarber like this.