What's the last malt-forward beer that impressed you? (That's not high ABV or barrel-aged.)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Jul 30, 2020.

1. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,685) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I haven't been to the store in a while, but there's always (at least) one six-pack ear-marked for the season.

BigIronH and Bitterbill like this.
  2. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,934) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Oh yeah I ear mark at least a six pack for the night haha

3. steveh

Society

Probably explains the double post. :grin::rolling_eyes:

4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I wish!

Did the side by side on Saturday, just been busy.

Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  5. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Poo-Bah (1,788) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Rebooting this thread on the basis of smoked malt, and the pleasurable revisit -

So, a smoked malt direction that stages inglenook implications on a knacker's yard, for run-down livestock and big game meat. Beachwood is habitual in construing gentle smoked phenols, while being careful to not confine malt paradigms. Consequently, a smokehouse vibe that browns brisket proficiently, yet staying conscious to the circumference around character fundamentals. Chiefly, malt sensitivities to sweet molasses bread, as caramelized toffee & rich dark fruit chord - in a composition that - continually works to radiate those biscuit-y (+ nutty) focal points. The progression spreads wildfires on earthwork grains, and carefully incorporates deep herbal spices to affix those (late) woody hop whiffs

Palate coordinates a sweet richness, behind toasted malt, near campfires and BBQ’s of southern top rump. Backstage, a deep-seated root on earthy grounds, which offer a forested bitterness to amend an uphill sweetness. Howbeit, that hop impact is not an undoing balance, but rather a careful endeavor to not eclipse the mechanics: A sentiment to not stress or push phenols towards an over-burnt/charcoal state. Harmoniously, browned chestnuts linger with meaty macadamias, while light coffee emits withered raisins, perished figs, and late Fall cranberries. The continuance is poised with cured associations thru oak smoked stilton, and a push for pine atop Claey's anise drops. The rider presses on with a furthering dryness, and ties that herbal hop poise to the nutted/smoked malt echoes

The framework is proficient in the stabilization and maintenance on smoked malt, offering a cut sweetness and elevated dryness, for a smooth/clean feel. In substance, the output on carbonation is mid-low, with a velvetiness that bedrocks an earthed brightness, for the kindling Fall settings = Continuing the search, for the ongoing revisits -

[​IMG]

…Hope to be in area for the next gravity tapping

6. Foyle

Foyle Meyvn (1,113) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

Olde Mecklenberg Munzler's Vienna Lager-- extremely yummy malt forward brew. Highly recommended if you like Vienna Lagers.

I would love to try Olde Meck's Oktoberfest (which has won numerous awards) but have been unable to find it in Coastal NC.

7. AlcahueteJ

Society

One of the nicer pictures I’ve seen on Beer Advocate.

That head is gorgeous…looks so inviting. Almost looks like it was from a Lukr tap even though it obviously wasn’t.

M-Fox24 and FBarber like this.
  8. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (244) Jan 8, 2015 California

Roasty, malty goodness that you want to drink more than one of and weighing in at only 4.1%. Sign me up for more lagers like this, please.

[​IMG]

9. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,194) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Agreed! Another winner from Moonlight. I've been loving the increased availability of their beer locally this year

deanzaZZR and FBarber like this.
  10. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (9,206) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Two beers of late, both German-inspired...
    • Wiley Roots Brewing Co. -- Beer-Flavored Beer
      • German-style helles lager
      • 4.34 overall rating
      • 4.2% ABV
      • Found at my favorite beer store a couple of weeks ago.
    • Urban Chestnut Brewing Co. -- Stammtisch
      • Traditional German pilsner
      • 4.35 overall rating
      • 5.4% ABV
      • Part of the recent BA LagerFest package
    I just love simple, tasty beers that are malt-forward yet balanced and which offer nice depth of character overall.

11. M-Fox24

Society Trader

Czech Pale Lager by serving tank to L = A triple decocted measure that’s smart in the amplification of deepening malts, considering the sumptuous melanoidins – for that fuller, chewer, attenuated – for that extra texture –

Rich, smooth malt realities alongside a rational presence on Czech Saaz. Malt is forefront and symptomatically bready, as noble hops interplay on herbal bouquets. The proceedings are sweet with a creamy dictation to middle the doughy accounts, while tabulating black pepper afore the earthy progressions. Besides that, some bright citrus fruits on the acclimation of Avalon lemons, while Saaz maintains a (soft) spicy kick to flank the blades of grass

The trailing steps offer a bit more biscuit-y/crushed cereal entrants, as nobility attunes that – aforementioned – creamy dictation with a dry hop bite. So, an awareness on bitterness that facilitates lightly, while supplementing the floor malted grains with a lucid – woodsy – setting. A setting that adapts to incorporate the sweet grains with haystacks in paddocks, while tellingly keeping malt in an essential (quintessential) form

An approach that’s structurally sound without an overplayed sense on carbonation, bearing in mind the long cold fermentation on precipitating yeast, for a grander taste. Materially, a clean/bright take that’s rounded without a sharp ruggedness, as the dexterity behind malt is smooth with traditionalistic viewpoints

[​IMG]

…”This yields a delicate beer with a depth of character that…never fatigues the palate”

12. shobbs

shobbs Initiate (74) Feb 20, 2010 Arkansas

that looks so good!

13. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,415) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Tmalvy 13°, from Human Robot, a Czech dark lager that I dispatched yesterday, courtesy of @jonphisher.
    [​IMG]

14. steveh

Society

@AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  15. AlcahueteJ

Society

Come to Boston! I'll treat you.

I'll even let you drink from my mug. :wink:

steveh and FBarber like this.
  16. steveh

Society

I don't think we need to take it *that* far. :blush:

17. AlcahueteJ

Society

Oh haha. That's not what I meant. I meant you can use my personal krug there. Not us sharing drinks.

Although we'd split a Kranz for sure.

steveh likes this.
  18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Sly Fox Maibock while attending the annual Sly Fox Bock Fest & Goat Race yesterday:

[​IMG]

Cheers!

19. OffTrail

OffTrail Initiate (98) Aug 12, 2012 Washington

It may interest you to know that the word "robot" was coined by a Czech writer, Karel Capek.
    ... or not.

woemad likes this.
  20. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,728) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

One of my local breweries, Territorial Brewing, tried their hand for the first time at a Baltic Porter. They knocked it out of the park as far as I'm concerned. I don't find and drink beers in this style very often to know how to rate it to style, but I gave it a 4.25 based on how I liked it. There's a rich malt flavor there that I think should define the ideal beer in this style (if I have any say in defining the style). And at 7.0 abv it's almost at the point that I could drink two.

[​IMG]

champ103, AlcahueteJ, TCgenny and 3 others like this.
  21. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Bierstadt Dunkel and tmave 13.

22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Perhaps two beers to further discuss in the upcoming Dark Lager weekend tasting thread?

Cheers!

23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

That would make sense. Therefore I can not comply. :wink:
    I will try to bring at least one of those to the table.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  24. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (461) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Brooklyn Oktoberfest.
    A damn fine tasty example of the style.
    Can't wait for next year to get more.
    Probably one of the best Domestic examples of the Märzen style I've had.

25. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,112) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'd have to say Rochefort Triple Extra. (8.1% isn't too high, is it?)

ManBearPat and PapaGoose03 like this.
  26. M-Fox24

Society Trader

Malt-forward October. Namely, NATIONAL RAUCHBIER MONTH

---

Please join us in a month-long celebration of smoked beers during the coziest month of the year!

*Rauchbier in this case, means any beer made with a smoked malt. Look, we’re not running a beer competition here.

---

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dovetail kicked this off in 2021:

27. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,728) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

We were serious when we said October is National Rauchbier Month. There's a website now, so it's official. And we're building a database of US-made rauchbiers. Know of one? Use the form to submit it!

That's a form that won't get used much. I know there aren't any rauchbiers at the two stores that I frequent, and I'd have to drive 75 miles to a good store that might have one or two.

But this attempt at 'awareness' is a good first step to get people interested thus creating some demand for brewers to create new ones. Here's hoping.

I just noticed that this was started in 2021. Anyone know where the ongoing form/list can be found?

#347 PapaGoose03, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  28. dano213

dano213 Defender (698) May 24, 2003 Pennsylvania
    Trader

A few of my favorite most malt-forward beers as of late:
    • Mast Landing Gunner's Daughter - best milk stout I have ever had
    • Bitburger/Deschutes Collaboration Dry Hop'd Zwickl - very flavorful
    • Jack's Abby Smoke & Dagger - a super-drinkable smoked black lager
    • Industrial Arts Brewing Autumn Landscapes Festbier - crispy and bready goodness
    • 2SP Brewing Company Pale Smoke - smoked Helles lager, really crushable
    • Bonn Place Mooey English Bitter - so drinkable and so balanced

AlcahueteJ, ESHBG, shkin and 3 others like this.
  29. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Poo-Bah (1,938) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  30. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,051) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

If they would only brew this again.

Enjoy

31. M-Fox24

Society Trader

With the purpose of keeping this thread temporarily active, and to further incentivize National Rauchbier Month…a spigoted cask of Rauch, which lessens the carbonic acid per a softer/richer narration on The Camp = “comforting and satisfying”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

+ FF is partaking

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, Mgh2001 and 5 others like this.
  32. BMBCLT

Society

I definitely fox with that! :sunglasses:

#352 BMBCLT, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    ChicagoJ likes this.
  33. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (461) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Great Lakes Nosferatu Imperial Red IPA.
    I'm over the whole IPA trend thing, but that is a damn near perfect IPA in my opinion.
    Very well balanced, but nice and malty.
    Plus, the color is gorgeous.
    Don't know if you would call it malt forward, but it's damn fine.
    I'm sooo brewing a batch very soon!

34. BMBCLT

Society

''What's the last malt-forward beer that impressed you? (That's not high ABV or barrel-aged.)''

Even though it's on the lower spectrum, but it's still an 8% ABV Imperial Red IPA.

Not high ABV: between 2 and 6, maybe 7%. But even at 7%, it's kinda high.

#354 BMBCLT, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  35. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,415) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Oh, I did. Not too long afterwards, I also got to try another beer of the same style from pFriem. I'd really like to see more breweries put them out.

36. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,632) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I guess the answer is a lot...the most recent is a few Hofbrau Dunkels. Love this beer. Actually been in a Dunkel mood lately, had Ayinger not that far back, and a local Equal Parts Dunkel was incredible.

[​IMG]

This was at Equal Parts a month or so ago...
    [​IMG]

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, steveh and 2 others like this.
  37. Providence

Providence Champion (829) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Picked up a four pack of “Single Negative” from Grimm. Holy hell is this beer tasty. Best stout I’ve had in a long time.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  38. M-Fox24

Society Trader

Recent discussion with Garshol on malt (forwardness) -

Source:
    The Cult of the Kiln: Brewing Super-Smoky Stjørdalsøl

AlcahueteJ and ChicagoJ like this.
  39. M-Fox24

Society Trader

A non-Lukr Dispensed German-style Dark Lager: A tactical application that showcases the Munich malts rationally, given the compatible integration with an enhanced mash, besides the notable fermentable clarities –

Opens on a light backwoods bitterness, while the grain bill takes a rearguard position, in the cooler – inaugurating – settings. Thus, a contextualization on the bready grains at the midriff with a Schwarzbrot likeness, as molasses coats the dark fruit subtexts over Kalfany Cola. There is an earthy configuration on coniferous woodlands, which denote a colophony effect, while a slight peppery kick – thinly – margins. Nonetheless, a tempered sensibility on those hop bearings, given the alleviating rich-sweetness thru the decocted embellishments

In this regard, a progression that favors the mash regimes influence on the browning reactions, which encourage the smooth-tasting/edible dyes, supported by melanoidins. Here, a Munich malt mainstay with a welcomed involvedness to the fuller & toastier outputs, which connote soft insinuations on toffee outside creamed coffee, before leveling on crushed grahams. Thus, the chemical reactions – ascribing those Maillard compounds – seemingly benefit under the billed delegations. This lends to the distinctive qualities on bread crust, while nuanced delicacies rest on Nips Caramel & Swedish Gräddkola. Coupled with, a calm nuttiness inside a Toblerone pairing to Pfeffernüsse above licorice, as hops impart a floral stability

The method taken avoids vicinal diketones, as the fermentable aspects have a clean output. Specifically, an output that avoids yeast negativities on unwanted esters, and off-putting phenols, in favor of an attenuated dry charter. Thus, a refined sharpness to the smoothly rich provisions, while minerals gently wander to the cessations, where a calm dryness resonates

[​IMG]

...a well-designed interpretation with double decocted employments that sufficiently corroborate & enhance the Munich malts

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. steveh

Society

Is that a thermometer in your Krug?