What's the most epic beer you've gotten to try at a beer festival?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hefewiseman, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myuncle

myuncle Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Illinois

Lagunitas Gnarly wine 2007

2. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Zealot (581) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

Besides SA Millenium and then Utopias at GABF (before I started purchasing Utopias), I'd say it was the Deschutes Black Butte Anniversary vertical at GABF a few years ago. Missed out on the Alaskan Smoked Porter vertical there several years back--didn't know they were doing it!

3. amalburg

amalburg Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Michigan

UNfortunately not any more........ Never to be made again. :slight_frown:

4. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (471) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I've been lucky enough to catch some pretty "epic" beers at various fests - Utopias a few times, the Kosmic Mother Funk at EBF this year was really really good, KBF several times, various Bourbon County variants, Cigar City,
    Stones Ruination on Cask at NERAX a ways back was incredible.
    Ithaca Flower Power on cask, dry hopped with who-knows-what.
    Hill Farmstead.
    Randallized Dogfish Head.
    More I can't remember.

5. itchytasty

itchytasty Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2008 Connecticut

I was at the Am Craft Brew Fest a few years back and had some Stone - Old Guardian that had been aged 6 years. It was really good. I have been collecting them each year since then..

6. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

Narke Konjaks at Borefts 3 years ago.

7. BeRightBock

BeRightBock Initiate (169) Apr 27, 2007 New York

YEARS ago, Schneider brewery (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/72/) tapped their very first draft keg of Aventinus in the USA at one of Brooklyn Brewery's Oktoberfests. Had one of the first glasses from said keg (Herr Schneider! Es gut bier! Oh, danke, danke). A fond memory.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  8. Zhillsgator

Zhillsgator Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 Florida

Apple Brandy Barrel Aged Life is Like at Huhnapu Day '14....incredible stuff!

SammyJaxxxx and xdtfx like this.
  9. Elivictus

Elivictus Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Stone Reason Be Damned and Dogfish Head 2012 120. I don't go to many festivals.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  10. barnzy78

barnzy78 Poo-Bah (4,638) Jun 2, 2008 Illinois
    Society

Parabola. It was 2009, and I was relatively new to craft beer. I had no clue what I was about to drink. Still one of the best beers I've ever had. That was the one and only festival I've ever been to.

11. xdtfx

xdtfx Defender (640) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Had some epic brews at The Great Taste this year including Mornin' Delight, BA Abraxas, BA Dinosmores, and Mecha Hugs.

12. daryk77

daryk77 Aspirant (251) Jun 16, 2005 District of Columbia

Parabajava

Was pouring under the same tent, drank lots. most delicious.

Happy trees.

cavedave and BeerLoverCRM like this.
  13. Fahz

Fahz Initiate (0) May 31, 2012 New York

Lost Nation had a firkin like vessel pouring their Gose dry hopped with some hops at HopJam, mmmm good

14. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

A Deal With The Devil and a bottle of Lou Pepe Kriek that was about 8 years old I think

15. illinikap

illinikap Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Illinois

Prop, BCBCS '13 and '14, BCBS '14, Bramble, BCS Violet Hour Manhattan, BCS Buffalo Trace, Backyard and Cherry Rye...mmm I wanna go back

16. stonermouse

stonermouse Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

Two stuck with me from 2012 EBF- BBA Plead the 5th, and 2004 World Wide Stout that had aged from a beer that I find rather gross new into an astonishingly delicious stout after 8 years.

17. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,099) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Sooooo many can't really list, but memorably was TAP NY some years back when I spent half the fest going back for more Brute pours.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  18. Trystero

Trystero Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 Ohio

Probably Cherry Bourbon County at DLD 2011

19. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,758) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I actually can't tell if you are taking the piss here or not. It's great either way.

20. DawgPhan

DawgPhan Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2012 Georgia

meh...it's just a blend of 4 barrels.

21. jimmypa

jimmypa Initiate (166) Nov 15, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Pretty much everything at EBF!

22. TheKlevin

TheKlevin Disciple (300) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

CBS at the Michigan winter beer fest two years ago. Only time I've seen it come on tap, and I live two miles from the brewery!!!!

23. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2006 Ohio

Utopias at GTMW a couple of years ago. Same event, Larry Bell pouring BBA Batch 7000.

24. Snowdog

Snowdog Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

Haven't been to any of the right festivals yet. :astonished:

25. pjvie

pjvie Initiate (0) May 30, 2014 Oregon

And gold flakes. Duh.

Hrodebert likes this.
  26. thomda11

thomda11 Aspirant (232) Jun 5, 2014 California

I recently tried Stone's Xocoveza Mocha Stout at the San Diego Festival of Beer and it was crazy delicious.

27. whatsheshaving

whatsheshaving Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2014 North Carolina

My first beer fest, which I went to this past summer, was High Country Beer fest. It blew me away. Green Man was there pouring some usual stuff, but I mentioned that I had never tried Destroyer and was curious if they still had it at their brewery. Destroyer was a IIPA they played KISS to during the fermentation process, by the way, so it was totally rad. Anyways, turns out they had brought a few growlers of Destroyer to pour from for people that asked. It was delicious and it made my day! I'm so glad I mentioned it!

28. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey

A firkin of Utopias was tapped at the first atlantic city beer festival about 10 yrs ago. 5 of us got 1oz pours and nobody liked it but me. I drank them all......

29. BarefootRock

BarefootRock Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2013 California

Lost Abbey - Cable Car
    Sam Adams - Kosmic Mother Funk

30. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012 Virginia

Mine is just because of the experience, but I got to try Hardywood Bourbon GBS from the first keg of it they ever tapped. I've had more "epic" beers, but that was cool to be one of the first to have it.

31. olradetbalder

olradetbalder Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Sweden

I would say everything at Sour & Bitter in Copenhagen back in 2012.

Drie Fonteinen
    4 year Lambic
    Oude Geuze - Armand & Tomme
    Armand’s 4 - Lente
    Armand’s 4 - Zomer
    Armand’s 4 - Herfst
    Armand’s 4 - Winter
    Framboos - 2010
    Malvasia Rosso
    Millenium Geuze

And off course Isabelle Proximus from Lost Abbey.

32. adman08

adman08 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 Wisconsin

Vanilla bean dark lord.

33. Jimmy_me_Jules

Jimmy_me_Jules Initiate (0) May 13, 2014 Florida

DB Hunahpoopoo and Mornin Delight at Huna Day this year. MBCP and Push were great as well.

34. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

FoBab?

35. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

Cable Car, Assassin, Churchill's Finest Hour, Last Snow, Backyard Rye, BCBCS, NG Wild Peach, ANTEAD

36. justlovebeer

justlovebeer Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2013 Alaska

That sounds like a GI Block Party line up to me.

It was a one-off randall at an otherwise unspectacular alefest, but coffee coconut BCBS

37. mjmcdonough73

mjmcdonough73 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2014 Florida

Double Barrel Hunahpoopoo - Dude got one small sample of it at Hunahpu Day this year and let the entire group take one small sip out of it. Germaphobic issues aside, it was awesome.

38. Phocion

Phocion Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Minnesota

I was at a festival in 2010 and tried Town Hall's Russian Roulette on cask. I seem to recall them saying that was the only time they ever filled firkins of it.

Second best beer I've ever tried.

39. Lochnessmonster

Lochnessmonster Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2013 Florida

Wanted to make my way over to that one but the crowds got out of control before I could.

At least I got to try Monin' Delight and some Double Sunshine before it all went to hell.

40. woolybully67

woolybully67 Initiate (90) Feb 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

At Snallygaster this year I had Fou'Foune and BA Abraxas which was my fave of the festival by a mile. Missed out on Chocolate Rain and BA Sump and a few others I wanted to try but you can't win 'em all, plus if I had managed to get all of those huge stouts I would have passed out too early to try all the other beers. My favorite non-whales were the cask Dirt Wolf, Atomic Kangarue, and Weissenohe Bonator from a gravity keg. The best strategy I saw there was to team up with a few others and have everyone split up to go to the rare ones first then get a table and pass them around to taste...that is if you are willing to share :grinning:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.