What's the Most Extreme Beer That You've Tasted?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Unless you know where a whole bunch of it is being kept in cold storage .:wink:

2. deleted_user_995920

deleted_user_995920 Crusader (796) Jun 4, 2015

I don't even think this qualifies as an Imperial IPA. 18% ABV is beyond what any typical Imperial IPA is by far. This qualifies because it is truly extreme, even Dogfish head recognized they might be pushing the limits of what is drinkable.

Amendm likes this.
  3. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (138) May 28, 2008 Florida

Funky Buddha Bob's Backyard Mango Hababero. Only a sample during a brewery tour, but blecch! Habenero en cerveza es no bueno.

Lahey and Amendm like this.
  4. MasterSki

MasterSki Poo-Bah (7,066) Dec 25, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Moderator Society Trader

Barncat Durian Saison.

lolsith and Amendm like this.
  5. OakvilleKGB

OakvilleKGB Initiate (110) Dec 3, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Most extreme in a GREAT way was ""Iced" Coffee Shop Vibes; 19% ABV and amazingly deceptive!" Just as described, I would have thought I was drinking a cold brew but it warmed you very nicely on the finish without a boozy burn!

Amendm likes this.
  6. chuckpalka

chuckpalka Initiate (176) Aug 29, 2006 Illinois

totally agree

FLBeerGuy and Amendm like this.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

GET OUT OF MY CELLAR

PapaGoose03 and Amendm like this.
  8. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,635) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

Had the DFH Ho Lawd. Was what like 560 IBUs or something? Anyway it was really good and you could certainly appreciate what it was intended to be. Surprisingly balanced...they served it with a half pint of 90 Minute to balance the whole experience. I was burping hops 4 hours later. Good times for sure!!!

FLBeerGuy likes this.
  9. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,049) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Rook & Leer......one of my favorite beers ever

Geyser gose....maybe not too extreme but the ingredients are quite different......very good beer though

Hot pepper beers like habanero sculpin are just over the top, extreme? Not sure. Super sweet things like choklat are also over the top and I guess extreme.

Many many years ago I called old nick extreme and oerbier I thought was just crazy 20 plus years ago. Yards spruce in the old blue bottle was pretty extreme back then.

Dock street made a beer with smoked goat brains. Too extreme for me.

Enjoy

lolsith and PapaGoose03 like this.
  10. KindaFondaGoozah

KindaFondaGoozah Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2013 Wisconsin

Love pasties, and ketchup goes good, so just really want to try this. I find if you’re willing to try just about anything foodwise that beers seem to follow.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  11. KindaFondaGoozah

KindaFondaGoozah Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2013 Wisconsin

...as everyone quietly moves down the bar...

An old Filipino friend used to have little gelatin cups. The lychee was awesome. We called the durian ass candy. His mother used to hide durians under her pillow ...

SFACRKnight likes this.
  12. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (89) May 18, 2017 England

13. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (541) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Lobsta lager just awful

SFACRKnight likes this.
  14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

That sounds foul.

GormBrewhouse and OakvilleKGB like this.
  15. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (178) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

16. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Sam Adams Utopias

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  17. wbaski

wbaski Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2017 Tennessee

Mantra Artisan Ales R.I.P with Reaper Chilies, hate to say it but really enjoyed it. It brought lots of heat.

18. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (105) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Basically any brew with peppers in it, at least the ones in which the heat is pronounced. To extreme for me generally.

I do enjoy some of the more mild ones however.

Lahey, OakvilleKGB and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Victory Wild Devil was pretty damn extreme in its brettitude

20. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Meyvn (1,139) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Sam Adams Triple Bock

Here's my review from 12/28/15:

look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

I wasn't going to do a formal review on this one, but how can I not, right? This is to celebrate a very successful fantasy campaign. Champion in 2 leagues and runner-up in the other. Cheers!

Meanwhile, I don't know how old this one is, but I guess it must be at least 18 years old. Cork broke as I twisted it open, so I needed to break out the corkscrew. The cork did not smell unpleasant.

A - On the pour it came out like non-viscous maple syrup, and that's pretty much the way it looks in the glass. It's a very deep, dark brown, with some not attractive redness when held up to the light. No head whatsoever. A drop dripped onto my hand at the end of the pour, and it stuck there like the aforementioned syrup.

N - This is extremely aromatic. Lots and lots of barrel (bourbon and brandy? bourbon and rye? Brandy and rye?) and plenty of bready malt. It's very sweet, and it's attacking my senses. If I hold it up to my face too long my eyes start to hurt. I guess it's time to dig in, right?

T - Wow, this is unbelievable. Not good or bad, just, maybe, the most complex thing, beer or otherwise, that I've ever tasted. I admit that I coughed after the first swallow, which was just a tiny sip. The heavy hitter here is licorice, an absolute blast of the stuff up front. You know that feeling in the back of your mouth/throat that you get when you taste something you don't really like, and you have a little trouble breathing, as if your throat is saying "please, no more?" Well, I'm getting some of that. This is probably a little too old to really enjoy, because I'm detecting a bit of sourness. Now I'm tasting lots of fruit, like Maraschino cherries, dried figs, and dates. I guess I kinda see what folks are saying about soy sauce, but I don't really taste it. It's just very, very sweet, and the sweetness is really lingering on the tip of my tongue. This is really not bad at all. Doesn't taste like beer, though, more like brandy.

M - Yeah, again like thin maple syrup. Nothing doing here at all. It's somewhat thick and oily, with no carbonation whatsoever. I guess that's what they were going for, though.

O - I'm SO glad I decided to buy this and try it. I admit I was scared, but this was quite the interesting experience. Not at all a bad beer, and not at all worthy of the reputation.

cavedave and OakvilleKGB like this.
  21. Burt

Burt Crusader (760) Nov 27, 2005 Rhode Island

Cantillion Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru, Was lucky enough to get my hands 4 different brews from Cantillion, other 3 were heaven. Shared this bad boy with three other people and we agreed that this was undrinkable. The only way I can describe the taste is if you have acid reflux and you wake up from sleeping with that taste in your mouth. Pure evil sourness.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  22. gobrewsome

gobrewsome Devotee (424) Feb 9, 2013 Alabama
    Society Trader

Mangalitsa pig porter right brain brewery it was excellent

Lahey likes this.
  23. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (334) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Barrel Aged Oro Negro from Jackie O's

24. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (541) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

on the flip side what seems extream in the good way, to me, is Averys Uncle Jacobs stout. There are tASTES GOING ON THERE THat i just cant place. Tryed all the others big BA stouts, but that stuff just does it for me 2 times a year.

Bitterbill and OakvilleKGB like this.
  25. OakvilleKGB

OakvilleKGB Initiate (110) Dec 3, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I loved it at Side Project's Zwanze Day 2018...Sorry you had such a bad experience with it...

26. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Poo-Bah (1,845) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

I can't possibly match any but the most tame candidates on this list. I must lead a pretty dull life if my most extreme beer is Surly Abrasive. <sigh>

27. Beerfogle

Beerfogle Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2018 Washington

Hammerheart Brewing ( http://www.hammerheartbrewing.com/ ). Their Imperial Longship is a Scotch Ale at 13.4% ABV that is aged in Scotch barrels. The scotch flavor and smells from the barrel aging is way too strong for my tastes. They have other ones that are not as extreme that are aged in wine barrels that I enjoy a lot more.

28. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Disciple (381) Nov 21, 2008 Texas

My sense of "extreme" has sadly been stretched out so far from the virginal sensibilities of my youth as to now sag as veritable wizard sleeve.

Lahey and NickSMpls like this.
  29. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (158) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Keystone Ice

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  30. LocalBeerGuy

LocalBeerGuy Aspirant (214) Apr 17, 2018 Canada (SK)

Golden Collaboration by black bridge and nokomis brewery

FROM SMALL TOWN, AND EVEN SMALLER TOWN SASKATCHEWAN, COMES A COLLABORATION OF TWO BREWERS THAT HAVE A PASSION FOR CREATING EXCELLENT BEER. THIS BELGIAN STRONG ALE HAS A COMPLEX FRUITY AROMA AND A DRY WHITE WINE FINISH. AGED IN OAK.

11.3% ABV

31. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Excellent wording, I love the imagery.

32. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (240) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

How big were the chunks in the beer?

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  33. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Extreme good or extreme bad? For me it was Dogfish Head Higher Math. What a terrible, terrible beer. Very unbalanced with a lot of cough syrup flavor. Couldn't even drink half a bottle. I know they're known for EXTREME beers, unfortunately most of them are awful.

34. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (4,497) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

There were a couple of nice glops. Reminded me of cleaning out the pipe under the bathroom sink when it's starting to clog up - pretty gross. Tasted like a combination of soy sauce, fish sauce, and rotten prunes. I brought it to a share and everyone was excited to try it, and I think the fact that it turned out to be so terrible added to the appeal!

sefus12 likes this.
  35. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Disciple (381) Nov 21, 2008 Texas

36. lolsith

lolsith Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2018 Australia

Strongest % - Brewdog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin - which surprisingly had nice flavor and wasn't overbearingly boozy.
    Strongest Punch - Mountain Goat Quetzalacatenango - "A kilo of Carolina Reaper and Ghost chillies pulp in each keg" i'm a chili lover (got 14 sauces in the fridge, grow 3 variety of habanero) but this beer was beyond hot, sipped about 50ml it was liquid fire and not enjoyable at all.
    WEIRD $h1T - Doctors orders mutagenic cephalopod - Gose with mushrooms, squid ink, chipotle oil & seaweed, it was disgusting.

37. lolsith

lolsith Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2018 Australia

@Greywulfken that's awesome you got to try both!

after the FIERY 2013 release the recipe has changed each year and been toned down some. I recently had the 2015 Crime (all the way down in Australia) and it was absolutely delicious. hot but not overwhelming. The 2015 contained "chipotle, habanero and cayenne" whereas the 2013 had scorpion, reaper (superhots). If you search hard you can still find a collector in USA selling the 2013, i'm curious about it as an avid chill lover but cost of shipping etc is too high for me. The 2016 edition seems to have all but vanished from internet, i found only one store in NY that still has it. 2018 edition should be launching soon and from their advertising so far it will be hotter than the 2015-16 editions- hopefully some will get exported here!

38. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (240) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

I honestly wish every craft beer fan could try a decade + old Triple Bock (though I guess they would all be 20+ years old at this point, or damn near). It's an experience to be sure.

39. micada

micada Meyvn (1,443) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Agreed. I really wanted to like it. Super hot even after almost 3 years. Mostly one dimensional. I’ll literally let the others age another 5 years...mayyyyyybe they’ll mellow by then.

40. micada

micada Meyvn (1,443) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Surprised seeing that one. I had a few that were delish...creamy, balanced, easy drinker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.