What's the Most Extreme Beer That You've Tasted?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micada

micada Devotee (402) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

Place in Lockport NY, New York Beer Project, has “thee barleywine” which is a sometimes unavailable barleywine...duh...that is a sweet-ish offering of the style. Aged in Jim Beam barrels, it has a really strong flavor profile. The already high listed ABV of 13% seems lower than what it really might click in at. One glass and you need a ride home. Good. Not subtle!

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (811) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

On release a tough beer to drink.
    Had another a few months ago and it’s amazing.i have two left. I would buy a few more if I found them. The chocolate and cherry really came out in a good way and the booze was hidden much more than when it was fresh and a big booze bomb.

Enjoy

3. TanBxj

TanBxj Aspirant (222) Aug 3, 2016 California

Not sure, but with out a doubt, it was something I tried at EBF in LA!! Please bring it back, that was my favorite festival of the year!!

4. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,956) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

This is easy: Sink the Bismarck! by BrewDog.

There is a line of thought that DFH 120 minute is not really an IPA ... more like a very bright and hoppy barleywine, or hell, just a hoppy wine (minus the grapes). At 18%, it's a hoppy beer that somehow ages gracefully.

Sink the Bismarck! is ... not that. Without question, and despite being 41%, this is an IPA, and I assure you it does not age gracefully.

I don't know what it was like fresh, but I doubt it was no less extreme than the aged bottle I "enjoyed." Without question: the most extreme beer I have ever tried.

Lahey and Claude-Irishman like this.
  5. Lahey

Lahey Devotee (402) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

That sounds absolutely horrifying. Just IPA syrup with white lightning heat is what I'm picturing.

6. Dr_Bahmbay13

Dr_Bahmbay13 Devotee (452) Mar 10, 2013 Michigan

Some ballast point smoked beer... dumped it out , smoked was all it was. Smoke. Not ganja either

7. biboergosum

biboergosum Poo-Bah (13,321) Oct 28, 2007 Canada
    Society

Ok, 'extreme' is ill-defined here, so I shall elaborate:

Extremely high ABV: BrewDog Sink the Bismarck! - essentially whisky with a mild hop schedule.
    Extremely low ABV: what's the point?
    Extreme Hops: the goalposts change every time I hit the bottleshop.
    Extreme Malt: any American Blonde Ale.
    Extreme Spiciness: tough call - probably the Aaiieeeeeeeee Caramba Chile Lager a while back from one of my local breweries.
    Extreme Banality: see Extreme Malt.
    Extreme Smoke: Nogne Sunturnbrew (shudders at the memory)
    Extreme Funk: 'memory not accessible'.
    Extreme Sour: Cantillon does it best, pick one.
    Extreme Bullshit: Minhas, FTW!

Reef likes this.
  8. beeragent

beeragent Meyvn (1,058) Aug 16, 2005 Texas

Sam Adams Utopias is the most extreme to date IMO that I've had.

9. freewill35

freewill35 Zealot (562) Oct 27, 2007 Indiana

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel

10. Lahey

Lahey Devotee (402) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

New Hollands 20th anniversary ale was extreme. 20% ABV, aged in rum barrels. It was a spicy hot boozy mess. What would you expect at 20% though? I opened a bomber by myself and barely was able to drink a glass. My buddy turned it down, calling it slutwater. Fair enough assessment...

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  11. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (72) Nov 5, 2018 New York

Without a doubt, Pastrami Pils by Schmaltz Brewing Company. I tried some at a tasting and it tasted like garlic, caraway, mustard possibly? In short, very much like a pastrami sandwich !

BruChef and Lahey like this.
  12. HopNationUSA

HopNationUSA Initiate (39) Aug 14, 2017 Pennsylvania

We just reviewed the Elevator Ghost Scorpion on our podcast. The hottest beer I've ever drank and I brewed one with carolina reapers.

The other extreme would be a toss up between Iron City Red Hot Iron and Evil Twin Coffenade, because they're just extremely bad.

13. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Defender (673) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Wow, that sound really disgusting. Only Schmaltz would come up with that-

14. KentT

KentT Aspirant (230) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

Think about their beers as the Lithuanian Biker Bitch of beer. All the subtlety of a Molotov Cocktail. Mixed with TNT. The beer which causeth the worst headache and hangover I ever experienced. Seconded.

15. manolomanolo1776

manolomanolo1776 Initiate (15) Sep 21, 2018 Nevada

friggin' funny!

FBarber likes this.
  16. McStagger

McStagger Crusader (777) Jun 2, 2005 California

Years ago, but I remember Moylan's Hopsickle being extremely damn bitter. Moreso than the 1000 IBU IPA that Mikkeler came up with.

Black Tuesday was extreme but in a much more pleasurable way. Just delicious dark syrup that I wanted to pour over vanilla ice cream. (Goes wonderfully with Stilton cheese, by the way.)

Simpler Times PIlsner is the most extreme beer I've had in the sense that it's the single most disgusting beer I've ever had. One sip and the entire six pack went straight down the drain. I'd rather drink Listerine.

17. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (167) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Had to be the time Dogfish Head had World Wide Stout thru a Randall with kopi luwak coffee beans at EBF. Coffee beans eaten by mountain lions then shit out and collected. Yep had to try that. Blis Blast All Day ipa from Founders as well comes to mind. All Day ipa aged in cbs barrels with maple syrup and hot sauce, damn.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  18. andykirkbride

andykirkbride Initiate (42) Feb 18, 2018 Washington

Jalapeño Belgian Trippel from Diamond Knot, 2 sips and sinked it.

19. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Aspirant (268) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

Mango habanero Oberon. It was delicious, but not at all like the base beer.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  20. 77black_ships

77black_ships Disciple (393) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Akarusho Bière de Banane from Rawanda – 14 % fermented banana juice with soghum & saccharose. Tasted like salted peanuts (no idea why) mixed with ultra sweet banana syrup. Bizarrely smelled also of vinegar but didn’t taste like that and it was a 100 % flat murky liquid. Bananabeer is a popular drink in Rawanda & Burundi and if that one was anything to go by it is extremely challenging for a western pallet.

Koduõlu – traditional farmhouse ales brewed by farmers on the Estonian island Saaremma. No boil beers with hop tea instead of hops, juniper etc. I was fortunate to try 2 examples whilst in Estonia. Extremely challenging for me like near flat Hefeweizen syrup with pencil shavings and also shockingly alcoholic. I struggled to drink them.

Lithuanian farmhouse ales – wonderful tradition of no boil farmhouse ales with al kinds of wild ingredients, honey, juniper, hemp, I even had one with green peas. Tried a few dozen of them in Latvia. No boil part makes them frequently rife with infection about half were amazing sweet spice heavy brews and half were horrible infected messes. Pretty sure I had to vomit one morning due to drinking lots of them. Good ones are awesome, bad ones are revolting, quite a lottery. Jovaru Su Naturaliu Medumi, Dundulis Kanapinis Elis, Kupiškio Kupiškėnų Šventinis Alus were some favourites.

I quite liked Habanero Sculpin & loved Indra Kundra. Samuel Adams Tripel Bock on the other hand was wretched.

BruChef likes this.
  21. Aewachiw

Aewachiw Zealot (539) Dec 26, 2011 Maryland
    Society

DFH Raison D'Extra
    At an strong beer brunch @Mahaffeys in Baltimore

22. MetroWineAndSpirits

MetroWineAndSpirits Initiate (34) Mar 3, 2018 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

Love Freigeist! One of my favorite breweries.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  23. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,427) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

As to hoppy a fresh Mongo is right there with Hopsickle. IMO HopCraik is a mess of a beer, and for $16, hell no.

24. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,124) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I would toss out - Avery Tweak. Love the beer but dam it packs a hit so this is a solid ABV bomb.

25. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Aspirant (201) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

Feel like a wuss with this entry, but how about boulevard bourbon barrel quad.. extreme due to taste vs super high abv. That was a heavy weight slug fest consuming all 12 ounces.

26. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,994) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I hear it goes best poured over lo mein noodles.

27. DOCRW

DOCRW Zealot (560) Jan 21, 2014 Washington

3 Floyd’s Dread Naught with out reservation

28. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (470) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Choc Lobster (or Chocolate Lobster) by DFH. That shit was nasty.

LGHT likes this.
  29. ichorNet

ichorNet Meyvn (1,394) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

That was really enjoyable, to be honest. But I could understand the sentiment if I had to solo it... I split my bottle with friends. Someone mentioned Rex Attitude too (the 100% peated malt beer)... definitely an intense one but I didn't have an issue soloing a 12 oz. Fun stuff, obviously one-note as hell, but not bad. You have to like smoky scotch, though, of course.

30. generallee

generallee Poo-Bah (2,419) Apr 5, 2008 Virginia
    Society

For taste, abv and money it was definitely Sam Adams Utopias.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.