What's the next beer style trend?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mike_Honcho1, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,390) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Disagree, they are not different, they are both beer. There are only a certain amount of beer drinkers, they drink either BMC or craft. In order for craft to continue expanding, they will need an increase in people drinking their beer. A lot of those people must be converts from BMC to continue the growth, not just new drinkers turning 21 or new beer drinkers converting from wine and such. If the overall number of craft drinkers does not increase in proportion the the number of new breweries and new beers, there will be attrition in the industry as @threeviews said. Supply and demand.

threeviews likes this.
  2. NoahMayes

NoahMayes Initiate (0) May 14, 2015 Texas

Bourbon barrel fruit sour black ipas

3. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

I wouldn't mind seeing eisbock-quadrupel/BSDAs take off.

It's probably not going to happen, but I wouldn't mind at all if it did.

4. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,363) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I'd be good with that. When done right they are incredible and deceptively crisp.

5. Kadonny

Trader

"Craft growth is due to people appreciating craft" I don't even know how to try to understand that. Where are all the new "people appreciating craft" coming from then.....the moon?

It's very simple. For continued growth (something you seem to ignore in all my posts) of the craft industry they will need to continue to bring in new drinkers to craft. These new drinkers will probably come from 1 of 3 ways. Switch from BMC, switch from other alcohol or kids turning 21. Other than that, there is no other way for the most part. Yes, you could have a non-drinker suddenly turn on to craft beer, but I highly doubt that happens a lot.

6. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,363) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

You won't see BMC shelf space shrinkage any time soon in major chain supermarkets or c-stores as the distros are the ones that planogram them based on what the BMC's have worked out with the chains themselves, so unless a major chain starts dedicating more floor space to coolers that can accommodate more beer, craft will continue to rotate based on what the buyer is convinced will move better , which again, is based on a distros whim. All bets are off for indie operations or places like Whole Foods though.

7. Kadonny

Trader

I still say a decent amount of people are switching from BMC. Someone needs to locate those stats.

8. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

I'd like to see more smoked beers. Few American breweries that I know of can compete with those from Bamberg. Plus, there is so much room for innovation with smoking malt

ThisWangsChung likes this.
  9. Yargamo

I'm adminstered research for BMC as a former market researcher. They are constantly running surveys on attitudes and usage at the beer sector levels to understand where they fit and what the "white space" or next "occasion of use" is. I've sat in on meetings and you would be flabbergasted at the awful awful ideas they come up with.

By the way, BMC is far more concerned about the rise in spirits use than they are craft beer.

10. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (341) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I can't commit to one. That's why I'm a craft beer advocate

11. mlockman

mlockman Defender (660) Mar 2, 2015 Indiana

Hopefully an increase in barrel aged beers at a lower price: if TerrePURE technology works, barrels may become cheaper if bourbon requires exponentially less time to age. Perhaps this would allow brewers to procure more barrels at a lower cost and produce more barrel-aged brews at a discount that they pass on to the consumers. Probably some downsides to the flavor a barrel could impart if the whiskey isn't aged as long, and this only accounts for supply affecting price; if the demand is high enough, prices may not change at all, and if demand is low enough, there may not be impetus to increase to make barrel-aged brews.

Source: http://www.wineandspirits.com/technology-ages-bourbon-in-eight-hours/

12. Kevin67

Kevin67 Disciple (361) Feb 8, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

I hope it will be a contraction of some of the numerous marginal breweries that have appeared, brewing marginal/mediocre beers. Breweries just pumping out the latest fad beer style, but not doing them well, only hurt the brewery. I would like to see a brewery start with 3-4 styles and perfect them, then move on to the next style. It seems to me that most start-ups try to brew 6-10 styles right out of the gate, but excel at none.

13. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Disciple (340) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)
    Trader

I once had a really tasty Pilsner...

14. Kadonny

Trader

Ok, so if that is true can the craft beer industry continue to grow at it's current pace? I say no, at some point there will have to be some sort of shake out without a huge influx of new consumers. There are way many new breweries opening up than old ones shutting down. When will it reach saturation?

15. Yargamo

The only truth I stated is that BMC is more concerned with spirit drinkers, who they feel have moved away from BMC, or have stolen "occasions" from BMC. That is a fact. Look at the biggest BMC releases. Bud Lime-Arita was HUGE. Miller Fortune and its rocks glass hooha. That Bud Crown thingy...forget the name, that was directed towards spirit drinkers. They have all sorts of shit ideas in the pipeline. Barrel aged hard iced teas...tequila beers....

16. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,931) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Gose Ice.

herrburgess likes this.
  17. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (3,149) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Society

There's a real niche of smoked AND soured beer that hasn't been properly explored in my opinion. I really think a low-alcohol smoked beer brewed with lacto (and salt, because why not?) could be fucking amazing if pulled off well.

In short: lichtenhainers are going to explode, y'all

blisscent likes this.
  18. Gonealoha

Gonealoha Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2011 California

ok, we know where we have been, but what going to be the next new big trend in craft beer? What has not been done?

19. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (312) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Everything has been done, but I think the "next big thing" is going to be the continuing growth of low priced sours, berliners, goses, etc. Preferably in 6pks for $10-12.

20. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Drinking small-batch, hard-to-get barrel-aged imperial stouts ironically.

21. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

I hope for more exclusive beer memberships per brewery.

22. Tylertut

Tylertut Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Ohio

This.
    But I don't feel as if it's replacing the current trend of big stouts and hoppy beers, it's just going to grow beside it. I see more and more breweries around me starting to do sours, and they aren't pricing them too bad either. But the problem with this trend is that most of the sours these small breweries are coming out with just aren't that good, Atleast that's the way it is around me.

crob3888 and mtvolkens like this.
  23. SamN

SamN Crusader (731) Aug 7, 2009 Colorado

Lol that phrase, from a marketing standpoint, is terrible.

"We sell low-priced sour beers!"

PatrickCT, mtvolkens and Dan_K like this.
  24. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (331) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Stouts will be like potato chips, many new flavors.

I'd like to see high ABV beers in small or resealable bottles. Sometimes I just want 6 oz of a badass stout.

swolepeer, breadwinner and bubseymour like this.
  25. supertech

supertech Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2015 California

id like to see more balance sour beers. some are just shit. i cant handle a beer thats puckering. Santa Adarius, Casey makes some killer stuff. Even loons is kinda of making me think theyre too sour. beat, too.

Tylertut likes this.
  26. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (312) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Don't give Dogfish Head any more ideas. Coming soon to a bar near you: Cool Ranch Imperial Stout, Sour Cream and Onion Imperial Stout, and Salt and Vinegar Imperial Stout.

Actually, the third one doesn't sound too bad.

swolepeer, JFresh21 and Avelasquez80 like this.
  27. craft_is_king

craft_is_king Aspirant (264) Jul 24, 2014 California
    Trader

Breweries doing 1 case(12 bottle releases) releases only making more hype around beers,

Breweries only brewing session (4% abv or less) and high abv( 12% abv or higher), nothing in between.

swolepeer, JaredSammy and LennyOvies like this.
  28. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,428) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

With the popularity of Marzens this year I could see an uptick in traditional german styles.

29. spacecake9

spacecake9 Meyvn (1,068) Apr 26, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

My money is on Peanut Butter IPA's...............

30. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'm hoping to see lagers continue to gain steam. German and English styles would be nice, too.

31. SCW

SCW Poo-Bah (1,692) Jul 25, 2004 New York

Quality, fairly-priced and creative formulations in cans.

32. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,222) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)

Non-Alcoholic Barleywine

33. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (364) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Uniform adoption of clearly printed bottled-on dates. Haha no just kidding that's never happening.

34. Ohmmygawd

Ohmmygawd Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Minnesota

Nailed it.

35. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,695) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Realistically, I bet more breweries outside of New England start brewing their style of IPA. There's nothing keeping Jim Bob's brewery in Kansas from attempting a Heady type beer outside of procuring trendy hops.

breadwinner and tylerstravis like this.
  36. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,398) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Eventually we all circle back to macro haha.

Budweiser will give up and make an IPA or Stout, stick it in any barrel, doesn't matter which kind and were done, it'll be amazing, then boom.

37. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,052) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

Marijuana Beer... unfortunately.

semibaked likes this.
  38. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,111) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Growlers becoming obsolete and Crowlers becoming the norm for most breweries for method of taking fresh brewery beer home with you.

Gemmell likes this.
  39. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (281) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Now this is a trend I would love to see.

TongoRad likes this.
  40. Beeramemnon

Beeramemnon Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2015 Georgia

Kombucha-beer hybrids.
    Any of the few old old school styles that have not been reintroduced on a large scale yet like grisette, lichtenhainer, etc.
    Given enough time, whale testicle beer. Or something equally insane. Seriously. Today is just like yesterday, everything is the same, there is nothing new under the sun.

Personally I would like the next trend not to focus on style but rather improving on what we already have. For instance, an IPA that is shelf stable for half a year.

blisscent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.