What's the silliest advice from a brewery ever?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Oct 21, 2021.

1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,028) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Sorry to knock Left Coast here, but come on… Forget about bottle dating, just drink it within 30 days of purchase… Best By is one thing, but this is on another level:
    [​IMG]

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (893) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Funny, what if it’s a 3 year old bottle?

I have to pass when I see shit like this unless it’s dated on the other side with the bottled on date.

Enjoy

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,314) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

That's their "out":
    "Well, no - we don't stamp our bottles with a packaging or "best by" date, but you can find your date of purchase right on the cash register receipt!"

And here I was doubtful but proven wrong a few posts later about the number of brewers who label their beers with "Drink Fresh" but don't date them. (Everyday I think that Calagione's percentage estimate was way off...).

4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,794) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Drink from the can.

5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,182) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

2-row and a touch of caramel. Hmm, yeah -- it truly is hop juice.

beergoot, hbbeeremptor and BigIronH like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,159) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you posting this but on the back of a recently purchased can of Heady Topper I took note that there is new verbiage on the back of the can:

“Why do I recommend that you drink it from can?

Quite simply, to ensure a delightful hop experience. The act of pouring it in a glass smells nice, but it releases the essential hop aromas that we have worked so hard to retain.

If you MUST pour it into a glass, you may find that some of the hop resins have settled to the bottom -- leave them in the can when pouring. This beer is perishable and at its best when it is young, fresh, and hazy.

Keep it cold, but not ice cold.

Drink this beer immediately, we are always making more.

- John Kimmich”

At least John is now 'acknowledging' the aspect of pouring Heady Topper into a glass.

Cheers!

7. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,453) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

...ring ring...
    "Hello, Left Coast Brewing Company."
    "Hi, I'm wondering what the Best Before date is for your Hop Juice Triple IPA."
    "Ok, sure. When did you purchase the beer?"
    "Well, I haven't purchased it yet. I'm at the store and couldn't find a date on the bottle. I'm interested in purchasing it but would like to know the date first. Just want to make sure this bottle is not past its Best Before date yet."
    "Oh ok, of course. Well, it doesn't have a Best Before date yet."
    "Yet? What? How could it not have a date yet? The beer is right here in front of me."
    "I can give you a date if you go ahead and purchase it but until it is purchased there is no Best Before date yet. If you look at the bottom of the bottle it mentions 'Best when enjoyed within 30 days of purchase'."
    "Ok I see that now. So if I purchase this today, the Best Before date will be 30 days from today but if I come back next month or even a year from now and purchase this same bottle of beer then, the Best Before date will be 30 days from that day?"
    "Yep, that's correct. Thirty days from date of purchase. Drink Fresh as they say!"
    "I think you mean Purchase Fresh..." ...hangs up....
    "Sorry? Sir?"

8. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,199) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I don't see the problem. As long they always get it to distributor fresh and the distributor always gets it to store fresh and the store always pulls it from the shelves 30 days after they purchase it there shouldn't be any problems. (Did I miss a comma?) Stone can do it, right? :rolling_eyes:

9. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,653) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

If they won't date it I won't buy it.

10. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,176) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

How long did it sit at the brewery before being shipped to the wholesaler? And how long did it sit at the wholesaler's warehouse?

Squire likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

And just as important (perhaps more important): under what conditions were those beer stored at the Wholesale Distributors warehouse? Were they continuously stored cold (i.e., refrigerator temperatures) during that lengthy stay?

Cheers!

rgordon, mikeinportc and officerbill like this.
  12. officerbill

officerbill Champion (864) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I've seen “fresh from the distributor” beers going on a year old, I know of two stores where I can buy 2019 IPA's.

13. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, my post w/imaginary brewer's quote was sarcasm :wink: - BUT re-reading it now, it's probably too subtle and not too far from the truth. In addition, I'd assumed that any brewery that labeled their beer like that would limit that beer to in-house sales - but I guess that's not the case, either.:grimacing:

14. Giantspace

Ever have a store employee tell you the beer just came in today, it’s the freshest beer we have? Look at the date and it’s already 8 month old IPA. Ughhh

Enjoy

tinoynk, Squire, lucius10 and 5 others like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Society

I have heard that too many times. I try to be polite when I respond it is not important that they just got the beer into the store but when the beer was packaged.

I wonder if the employees are 'incentivized' to push old beer onto the customers?

Cheers!

bubseymour, dcotom and mikeinportc like this.
  16. rgordon

My response was a generic comment about beer distribution that is often forgotten or never understood to begin with. Non-dated beer can be "aged" in many ways. And also a touch snide.

17. purephase

purephase Initiate (161) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Not sure how new that is, as I think this is exactly what's been on the can for years now.

As for silliest, I feel like the instructions on the handling of many fruited sours is the worst I've seen. Though that's more of an indictment on the existence of the products than the advice since in many cases it's exactly what's necessary to keep them from exploding.

NYR-Zuuuuc, Rug and officerbill like this.
  18. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Initiate (111) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

eppCOS likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Society

All that I can report is that this latest purchase (August canning date) had this 'new' verbiage. None of the other cans I have purchased in the past had this 'story' on the back of the can.

Perhaps since you live in New England you are more of a 'regular' as regards beers from The Alchemist.

Cheers!

20. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, here's a rear label 'snip' (quoted section bolded by me) from the TTB COLA dated 2011 with the address of the old brewery (right side). 2018 COLA for the new facility has the same text.

Maybe they changed it at some point, but it's what I always remember and a quick COLA search doesn't show anything different.
    [​IMG]

#20 jesskidden, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  21. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, well, 2 old dudes snidin' it up - bound to be a misunderstanding. :wink:

Time for a beer?:smiley:

mikeinportc and rgordon like this.
  22. rgordon

Yep, this Dankful is pretty darned good.

mikeinportc likes this.
  23. jesskidden

Society Trader

Ditto for my Deschutes Fresh Squeezed.

Dankful, huh? Up here finding it fresh has been a Dankless job lately.

eppCOS, sharpski, mikeinportc and 3 others like this.
  24. hbbeeremptor

hbbeeremptor Aspirant (299) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society

As much as these are the result of a negligent buyer, this is equally the result of a negligent distributor. You'd be surprised how many times I've been sent short-coded (near expiration) or in one very distinct case from an import distributor, beer that had already expired. In theory, merchandisers and reps for the really large distributors are supposed to comb through accounts for expired or near expired product to assist the buyer. In my experience, that pretty much never happens.

Sometimes I haven't caught things that were on the shelf expired for a very brief time either because it missed my notice that particular time or my other duties prevented me from getting to it sooner. (see the story below)

In the @officerbill case, that sounds like a systemic issue at that store and/or that distributor.

In the @Giantspace case, they may not have known they got old beer. If the rest of the department is fresh and well attended, it's probably something that just slipped through the cracks. People make mistakes.

I don't know if that's likely but I feel the reverse is probably true: some aren't incentivized to care if the beer is fresh or not, either by the company or by their own sense of responsibility. Customers aren't likely to ask about it or notify the store if they find old beer; they just won't shop there anymore.

There is only one time I can recall someone came to return a 12pack that had expired. They said it didn't "taste right" and when I sampled it, it was quite oxidized. While that is the fault of my merchandisers for not rotating product properly, it was also my fault for not checking their work and catching it before someone bought it.

But yeah, any brewery that tells me to "Drink fresh" and don't provide a package date anywhere can fuck right off.

25. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,199) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Nothing like pulling an IPA off the shelf and having to blow off the dust. I don't think Ballast Point ships until they're at least a little dusty.

officerbill, mikeinportc, o29 and 2 others like this.
  26. rgordon

Luckily Mills River is kinda local, packaged 8/19. I'm not nuts about dates, but this one is fresh to my palate. Sierra Nevada packages their beers quite well.

VABA and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  27. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,911) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Yeah, drink fresh with no dating on the container.
    Am I the next one to rent the Tardis?

28. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (29) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

Aslin has 'Keep Cold, Drink Fresh' on their cans but they don't date their cans and were selling there beers unrefrigerated in the middle of summer out of what is basically a garage. They still don't date anything but now that they have tap rooms, cans are kept refrigerated.

29. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,182) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

How about year old Maibock?

Yes, it happened.

officerbill, BigIronH and Bitterbill like this.
  30. JackHorzempa

Society

You could buy one from Bernadette. I am pretty sure she would give you a good deal!

[​IMG]

officerbill and Bitterbill like this.
  31. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,822) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I think that's what the singles section is for. (Looking at you, Total Wine.)

32. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,051) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

That, sir, is truly funny!

33. officerbill

officerbill Champion (864) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Apologies in advance for the wall of text.

The situation is, primarily, a result of NYS retail alcohol laws and centralized ordering combined with wholesalers and breweries wanting to avoid a loss on unsold beer, and jaded consumers.

When a distributor ends up with aging cases sitting in the warehouse, the brewery or importer doesn't want that beer back; they have their money and have no reason to take a loss by giving a refund or a credit. It's not like the distributor can take his business elsewhere.

The distributor's only options are to eat the loss or to deliver that old beer to a retailer who either doesn't care or has no choice but to accept it.

Grocery stores around here are, mostly, a chain with several stores and a large “classier” store. Beer for these stores is ordered by regional corporate. The BIG brands are stocked & rotated by the distributor, otherwise the pallets are dropped in the store's back room and the staff takes care of stocking. The store is told name & number of what's in the delivery, but not the age or BB dates.

The upscale store has a “beer coordinator”, but she does not have the authority to refuse delivery of the beer corporate ordered. When 10 month old Ayinger appeared on the shelf she stated “I have to take what they have”.
    Beer in the popular chain is handled by the store's beverage manager who is more concerned with soda and seltzer than craft beer. Corporate orders, distributor delivers, stockers put it on the shelf.

Here's where NYS retail alcohol sales law step in.
    From what I've been told; retailers are not allowed to mark down the price of beer unless it is a closeout and that beer will not be restocked, you aren't allowed to have a “sale” to make room for fresh stock.
    Back in December the upscale store received a case of Tannenzäpfle pils which was already about 3 months old, pretty good for an import. Unfortunately it was, and still is, priced at over $16/6 pack. Those beers are still on the shelf, I think they've sold one pack.

The best a store can do is break the packaging and sell singles as part of a “make your own” 6 pack (this is how a friend was able to buy a 6 pack of 120 Minute for $11). But then you're liable to be stuck with old singles; I can go into my grocery store today and build a 6 pack from 2020 beers.

“But the distributor should remove the old beer”. Why? What's he going to do with it?

Very few craft breweries have the ability to enforce, or finance, a “freshness clause” in their distribution contracts and the distributor has no incentive to remove old beer from the shelf. If a beer isn't selling the store certainly isn't ordering more of it, the brewery/importer doesn't want it back, and it can't be resold to a different retailer.

The distributor already has the money and, because breweries have locked in distribution contracts, the store can't just take their business elsewhere.

Distributors can't return old beer to their suppliers so it gets sold to retailers, retailers can't return old beer to distributors, or even have a sale to get rid of it, so it gets sold to an unsuspecting consumer who assumes it is just a bad beer and never buys it again, resulting in the fresh new stock sitting unsold......

It isn't “a systemic issue at that store and/or that distributor” it's an issue with the entire system in my state

#33 officerbill, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  34. jasonmason

jasonmason Zealot (502) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Society Trader

This right here is why I simply do not understand why there is not HUGE demand from the craft beer industry for the revision of distribution practices. It is absurd to think that due to an arcane system that breweries are at the whim of a distributor as to the public's perception of their product.

ChicagoJ, Rug and officerbill like this.
  35. Giantspace

I don’t think the general public knows the difference. I still have a friend who knows about beer dates and drinks IPA. She never seems to look and almost always has old beer. She still buys the beer she wants and drinks what she buys. I’m sure there are plenty of these people out there that stores don’t need to care. Pretty sure brewers won’t care, or pretend to care till they start to lose share and understand it’s due to old product.

Enjoy

36. JackHorzempa

Society

And I am pretty certain that this is not just a New York state thing.

Perhaps there are a handful of beer industry who just keep their heads in the sand but the vast majority of folks know there is a real problem here but the easiest thing for them to do is point their finger at another segment of the industry (e.g., the retailer blames the distributor). There really is a need for an 'entity' to recognize that there is indeed a broad, systemic problem of too much old beer out there. The distributing beer industry is losing business and with more and more small, local craft breweries opening up some folks (e.g., me) will give their money to the locals since they provide fresh product and that money could have been given to the distributing side of the industry (i.e., I could have bought the beer from a retailer which then some money 'flows' to the Wholesale Distributor and to the brewery distributing the beer).

Bottom line to the distributing beer industry: either fix yourself or otherwise watch the money go to small, local breweries.

Cheers!

@SierraTerence

37. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,046) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Hmmm, I wonder if the pub hadn't flooded if JK would have started serving Heady in cans at the pub? He insisted back then to serve ONLY in glasses, and he had just as good an explanation back then why in a glass was the only way to drink his beer. Heck the Heady dude on the can is drinking from a glass.

38. JackHorzempa

Society

Dave, maybe if we wait long enough John may decide to remove "DRINK FROM THE CAN" from the can?

Cheers!

cavedave likes this.
  39. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,046) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

For sure, but he'll have to come up with a good spiel first methinks :grin:

AlcahueteJ and Rug like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Society

Do you have any doubt that he can't?

Cheers!