What's the story behind your first beer review on BeerAdvocate?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,634) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

ICYMI: Last night (August 22, 2021) I revisited my first beer review: Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale from Berkshire Brewing Co. on August 22, 1996. It was fun to drink and think about the beer that basically started all of this. You can read more here: Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale: The Beer That Started BeerAdvocate.

But what about you? What was your first beer review on BeerAdvocate? Where were you when you wrote it? Have you revisited the beer since? Is it still being produced? Can you obtain a new sample?

Share the story behind your first beer review on BeerAdvocate!

Cheers! :beers:

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,027) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I'm in. It was the first batch of juicy. I had recently met @tacosandbeer and @MEW for a local trade. I wasn't too hip to trading and I still am not, and these two didn't take advantage etc like a few others had. Anyways a few weeks later I get a pm that states "mew was in NY and sent you a box". After meeting up and taking it home there was a bottle of juicy along with some flower power and heady. That bottle of juicy set up a love affair with Brett that I had to cut short due to allergies, and those cans of heady started me down the ipa path. I didn't know what I was doing, but I reviewed that very special beer and still have the bottle in my basement.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/87341/?ba=SFACRKnight#review

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,259) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

My first was Mother's Winter Grind. It's an annual release coffee stout out of Mother's in Springfield, MO. It was a favorite amongst my friends in college, as it offered an accessible stout with lots of coffee, all at a reasonable price ($9 for a 6er of 12oz bottles). Not a very heavy stout, it wouldn't be a go-to for me anymore, but there for a few winters, I'd buy a few 6ers of it every season.

After drinking lots of it over the course of a winter or two, I decided it would be the first beer I'd try to review, as it was the probably one beer I had the most familiarity with at that time. I reviewed it in my college apartment on a Monday night, probably out of a standard shaker pint glass (all the glassware I had at the time - if only it were that simple now.)

Can't say I share all the same sentiments for that beer now. In fact, I should probably go write an updated review, but that beer still has a soft spot in my heart.

4. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,392) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

5. ckeegan04

ckeegan04 Meyvn (1,434) Feb 21, 2008 Texas

Pass Time Pale Ale from Boulder Beer 10+ years ago. I dont believe it is even brewed anymore. I remember many beers leading up to that one where I would read reviews while trying a beer just to try and pick up on colors/smells/tastes that other people were mentioning so I could try and figure out how to put words to what I was drinking. No idea why that beer is the one I finally decided to take my own stab at reviewing. I lived in Tennessee at the time and there was no special connection or affinity to Boulder Beer. Reviewing really was the activity that got me thinking about beers alot more as I was drinking them and helped to expand my knowledge significantly.

SLeffler27, Amendm, cavedave and 7 others like this.
  6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (9,863) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I was taking my own notes here and there, but it was mostly an unwritten, mental exercise, and I found it was becoming hard to keep track of. I had already been thinking of getting more involved or detailed, but what pushed me over the edge was finally getting my hands on a fresh bottle of Pliny the Elder. It was an exciting acquisition and I didn't want to just record the occasion, but I also wanted a solid reference point to test my own palate in the future. While it's a fine review, I can easily see how I've continued to develop my perception since then.

SLeffler27, Amendm, sulldaddy and 9 others like this.
  7. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,763) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

I reviewed three beers on the same day, back in March 2016. Tripel Karmeliet, Rince Cochon and Cuvée des Trolls. I was definitely at home and was a BA for a few months only.

Three fairly good beers, but looking at past and first few reviews I ever made just make me cringe. I know one doesn’t become a professional beer reviewer all of a sudden but I’ve never been excellent at this job.

Since then, I read many other reviews and have picked on the vocabulary of reviews and descriptions of beers.

Mine are not lengthy, but sincere. It’s not a p*ssing contest about who’s the best reviewer. I like when someone puts some humor into reviews whether the beer is a treat or dreadful.

8. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (6,194) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

I was on Rate Beer for about a year before I was on Beer Advocate. Back in 2008, I was looking for new ways to share my enjoyment of craft beer and then I found Beer Advocate.

My first review was Harpoon Brown Session Ale, which I gave a 3.65, which was a tad higher than the BA average (3.59). This beer is no longer brewed. Or it might be brewed and only available at the brewery. I don't think there was any big story behind this review other than at the time I was looking to expand my horizons.

But brown ales have always been a favorite style of mine although you don't see them anywhere near as much as you used to.

seakayak, SLeffler27, Amendm and 10 others like this.
  9. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,606) Jan 18, 2003 Wisconsin
    Society

SLeffler27, Amendm, sulldaddy and 9 others like this.
  10. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,923) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

My first beer reviews were on my MySpace page blog, so unless I really go digging on the internet wayback machine, they are lost to the ether.

My first on here was Smuttynose Saison from their Big Beer series, the year it was 9.3%. Looked back at my review (eleven years to the day tomorrow), and I could just remember being bombarded by higher alcohols and esters. Not what I wanted in a saison at all. Back then, there seemed to be a "bigger is better" approach to alcohol content (as opposed to late/dry hops or flavorings, like now), and this was one of the beers that really got me rethinking that approach.

SLeffler27, Amendm, Rug and 6 others like this.
  11. proc

proc Meyvn (1,029) Dec 11, 2001 Michigan

12/11/2001. Wow. Almost 20 years. Time flies! The first beer I reviewed here was Molson Export. I was on a hockey road trip from Detroit to Toronto to see a game and also hit up the Hockey Hall of Fame. We drank a lot of beer that weekend. I would not have figured that one to be my first review. My second review that same day was Bell’s Kalamazoo Stout. One I still love to this day.

12. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Savant (972) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

July 2007 I reviewed Hennepin stating it was always a favorite so seems like a good place to start. rDev +7.2%. I still love it but it's not as easy to find these past few years..Now I want one.

SLeffler27, Amendm, Rug and 7 others like this.
  13. beer4colin

beer4colin Aspirant (278) Jun 9, 2009 Massachusetts

Squall IPA from Dogfish in 2009. Great art, loved large format bombers (these were just catching on). Nice!

SLeffler27, Rug, Bitterbill and 7 others like this.
  14. SoylentGreen45-70

SoylentGreen45-70 Initiate (26) Dec 28, 2018 Nebraska

I remember it well ...
    Mönchshof Kellerbier.
    I found a bottle at beertopia while I was researching styles to pursuit as a home brewer.
    I glassed the well chilled brew noting all the sediment swirling around in the glass.
    I was a bit put off by this, but bravely forged ahead anyhow. The yeasty dregs inherent to the brew did not detract from it in any way. I've gravitated to the german styles, particularly bocks ever since.

SLeffler27, Amendm, Rug and 10 others like this.
  15. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (553) Feb 2, 2015 New York

The first review I did was of Blue Point Pale Ale in 2016, after almost 50 years of drinking (and brewing) beer. I was late to BA, but I saw the usefulness of recording some impressions. At the time I was making regular trips to the original Blue Point River Avenue brewery to pick up growlers of the Pale Ale and, if available, the ESB. The Pale Ale reminded me of some of the American ales of the 70s and I name checked some old favorites in the review. It was an example of a very good beer that I savored (session beer?) without any WOW factor. My reviews don't generally contain too much detail, and the numerical ratings tend toward the middle of the road. I think a "5" rating should mean that everybody would love that beer.

SLeffler27, Amendm, cavedave and 10 others like this.
  16. moodenba

Monchshof Schwartzbier and Bock (if available) are tops.

17. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (9,242) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

My first review was not Moorehouse’s Black Cat by accident.

Mainly because back when Manchester real ale pubs tended to give the choice of bitter or mild(invariably dark mild) I would tend to start a night of drinking with mild but also I can recall drinking it for the first time roughly 30 years ago at the Marble Arch pub.

SLeffler27, Amendm, cavedave and 7 others like this.
  18. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,615) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

My first review was Sam Adams Black Lager way back in 2005. I was living in my tiny apartment in Greensboro NC. I had been drinking craft since '99 but found BeerAdvocate a wonderful outlet for my musings and a great place to keep track of the beers I have consumed.

SLeffler27, Amendm, Rug and 7 others like this.
  19. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (5,922) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

I was young and in love with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. In the exuberance of my youthful thirst for life, I wrote my first review from memory. It may have been detectably influenced by my infatuation. Little did I know that I would abandon my beloved in a shamelessly promiscuous pursuit of thousands of other beauties. Incredibly, we're still friends and hook up from time to time.
    All of that is true, to a certain extent. I started a BA account and started writing reviews because at the time reviews were required in order to score a beer. I was hitting that point of not remembering whether I had tried a beer or not, and if so, whether I liked it or not, let alone what I did or did not like about it, and was just looking for a way to record it. I lived in Port Hueneme, California at the time, almost 13 years ago.

Turned out that I really enjoyed the practice of taking some time, thinking about the characteristics of the beer, and putting those thoughts to words. I have learned a lot about beer that way, and my preferences in beer, and it helps me remember more beers more clearly. I think it also helps me be more open-minded about flavors.

3,060 and counting.

20. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,231) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

It was without a doubt, April of 2008 and the beer was Dogfish Head 120.

my review was barely 4 sentences.. describing it mostly as syrupy and a rush.

I did go back and re-review it in 2011.

SLeffler27, Squire, Amendm and 10 others like this.
  21. OU-CXpunch-DP

OU-CXpunch-DP Disciple (320) Nov 17, 2015 Oklahoma
    Society

This is an encouragement to me. I joined in 2015 but have felt that my beer knowledge and palette was still developing. I read other reviews and have made several decisions over the years based on those reviews but I have never dared to put my own words out there for others to read. Maybe I need to just start with a beer I know I like and write down what I like about it while drinking. Thanks for posting this.

22. BigIronH

BigIronH Meyvn (1,375) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

It’s really not. I want to say as well; as someone who reads reviews often before I purchase something I’m not sure about, these simplistic, easy reading kind of reviews are much more helpful to me personally than the walls of text left by some of our other users. Cheers.

23. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (947) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I loved that beer. Miss a bunch of Weyerbacher beer. Riserva was one of the best too.

Enjoy

Bitterbill, DIM and snaotheus like this.
  24. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,027) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I suspect an honest review of what you personally enjoy about one particular beer would be more helpful than discriminating between the flavor descriptors of unicorn tears or manticore sweat. Going back and re reading my own I was taken back to drinking that beer and can still taste the pink grapefruit and tangerine in my minds eye. Don't give up!

LeRose, Sabtos, Rug and 2 others like this.
  25. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,392) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Insanity is still good, only thing I've had recently.

26. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (947) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

SLeffler27, Amendm, Harrison8 and 3 others like this.
  27. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (2,915) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

My first review that I did was for Genesee 12 Horse Ale back in November 2001.

This tastes more like a lager than an ale to me. A very clean, crisp, not particularly interesting tasting beer. The packaging leads me to believe that one of the big 3 is behind this brew, but I couldn't find any clues that this is the case. Very light aroma and flavor. Not an offensive brew, but rather boring.

I was kind of surprised by that, I figured it would have been a Tremont or Pete's beer. That was the only time I ever had that beer and have never had it since. Cheers!!

28. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,690) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

That would be DFH’s 90 Minute IPA on 10/30/2018. It started a long love for the brewery, despite some of the lesser offerings. I had soent the summer before really getting into beer, with Stone, DFH, Sam Adams, and Lagunitas; mostly the IPAs from each brewery excluding SA. When I had no customers while working as a cashier, I woupd start looking up new beers I could get for the next weekend party. I mostly just searched random flavors since I didn’t really know how styles worked. I kept ending up on BA when searching for beers and eventually signed up on 8/20/18. I browsed around the site for some more time before deciding it was time to review.

90 Minute IPA was a beer I wanted to try from the very beginning of my beer journey. I was psyched when my friend found it, though I don’t know why it took so long to find it since it’s pretty much available everywhere, but I was happy nonetheless. I was in college at the time, and recall having a chemistry exam. I hated that class. I knew I had this beer sitting at home, and figured it would be a perfect night to crack it open. I ended up giving it a 3.96 (which is why I should probably revisit a fresh one) and wrote a very unprofessional review. I didn’t quite know how to describe what I was experiencing yet, but this was a step in the right direction.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/2093/?ba=KRug#review

I remember hearing that, despite it being an IPA, it aged well, so I squirreled away the remaining 3 to have at 6, 12, and 24 months. So it was simultaneously my first beer review and first experience with cellaring. I’ve had many fresh 90’s since then, but haven’t gone back to review it. I sure as hell know it’s better than a 3.96 so I need to get on that. Regardless, it was the beer that sent me down the rabbit hole. Just over 750 reviews later and I’m still here, loving every minute. Sorry for the rambling, it’s just fun to look back :beers:

SLeffler27, Amendm, Harrison8 and 4 others like this.
  29. Shemmy

Shemmy Initiate (134) Aug 13, 2010 Thailand

It was in 2013, I was at home upcountry when I wrote my first review, a review of a house brewed beer that a quite famous English style pub that used to brew in Bangkok, Thailand. I am not English, so perhaps my feelings were off base, but I felt everyone, almost all of them Brits and a few rather beer indifferent Americans, the kind who are quite happy to drink Heinekens, like some of my friends actually, were rather unappreciative of and whiny about the excellent value and delicious pints the establishment used to brew. I don't know bitter, it is a pretty-well English style of ale and you are really hard pressed to find good examples or any examples of it in places like Southeast asia where I have lived for decades, but there it was a daily available fresh made beer for 5 dollars a pint and the only thing the beer seemed to get was indifference and mild contempt. Again I imagine people from England and who are in England now can get much better bitter. Still, as a naive bitterist, there was no way this was a sub-medocre beer worthy of nothing more than a case of grumpiness as an expression or reflection of the experience being had of partaking of its refreshing unsweetened iced tea like tanniny taste. So I wrote the review and I thought I really ought to say something about the very nice beer that not many were saying or felt. I complained about the service in the place, which while much better than everywhere in Bangkok practically, still has to be delivered with characteristic I don't care about your experience here, it our restaurant/bar and you'll take what scraps you can get. Thats customer service in Bangkok mostly. They will show you who you are by forgetting you've come into the place and making you wait and wait to put your order in, forgetting your order, and turning the tables in outrage and making you the jerk if you complain. The restaurant had the review pulled from this site if I remember correctly, or so it seemed. Anyway, the sometimes rude snobby and moody waitresses and bartenders were never an obstacle, the palce had such a noce atmosphere and the beer and food was so nice and without equal in bangkok that I put up with snottiness. My wife and I were regulars after work and at weekends,I had to have that bitter a few times a week. Sadly, Thailand is a place that does not appreciate competition. You are seen as raising the bar, being an upstart who doesn't know his place, and this pub was a bit too clean, well decorated, fun, with great value food and drink, a place where you'd bump into everyone you knew in a location that was on the way to shopping on the way home or right in the heart of a good night out on the town. It was a real community pub and the local authorities were likely jealous and not ahving it. Thai people can't have that so you definitely arent having it here. There was even a former prime minister of Thailand who used to sit there with a newspaper sipping a pint. Was sitting in their nursing envy and resentment, i don;t know, he was always sitting alone, maybe. Oddly one day the landlord told the pub owner he'd have to pay a huge increase in the rent. The pub owner said no to the huge rent increase and closed a pub that did roaring business 7 evenings a week for several decades. That is so thailand as well, someone resents someone else and the get the authorities to go in and ruin everything for everyone. It would not surprise me if someone had to get rid of the competition, perhaps it was a major beer brewery. These guys are relentless and they will not tolerate any encroachment on their enormous profits and as a result Thailand suffers with some of the worst and most expensive beer to be found anywhere. Two dollars and 50 cents for a large bottle of spmetjing that soemtimes tastes like you were sucking a sour dishrag. There was a revolution for awhile, Thai craft beer sprung up despite its illegality during the early 2010's and craft beer pubs started kicking off in 2015 or so, police weren't going to enforce the law it was said because thai police love beer, so they could go to any craft brewer and hit them up for free beer, end of story, you give me free beer when i come by and then you can keep your micro-brewery open. But the pub had my bitter at was different was an old mainstay that was not part of this new revolution, they were old school which is good in my book and were doing their best to adhere to ridiculous quotas the government gives any pub or beer maker that wants to brew and sell beer legitimately: you have to produce and sell shit loads of beer to the point where you are not really a small beer brewer. Small beer makers are not allowed to run businesses in Thailand. Some legit small brewers in the 2010's found that they could set up in neighboring countries like Cambodia where small breweries are legal and export the beer to Thailand. That route is legitimate but it doesn't seem too popular. There are some OK IPA and wheat beer brewers that are now widely available here through that route, but they are not my cup of tea or beer I guess i should say so I don't buy those beers. Another route that started up was internet home delivery beer. That was a godsend as they had every kind of beer imaginable from all over the world for a few years but some boredom set in with the Thai clientel, beer is not essential to them, it s a novelty to have a nice german beer, something you do once and OK, enough back to Japanese or Thai factory lager or Heineken, so the list of available beers tailed off quickly after a few years. But someone has attacked the internet microbrew and import beer trend rather intensely someone or some group in the government decided that this was dangerous for minors, that kids could just order beer online, or so the story runs. I think it more likely the beer industry just didn't want the new competition and they shut it all down with a cover story about protecting minors. So, now, where I live I can now only drink major brewery stuff, whatever they have at the supermarket and they are not open to ordering unusual beer and wine is becoming unavailable due to the pandemic. Very sad. But perhaps not, I just don't drink that much anymore, it's not enjoyable anymore so perhaps my pocketbook and my health might be slightly better but is frustrating when you want to have a nice evening just drinking and relaxing, i can't really with awful tasting beer. But to return to the bitter and the pub called the Londoner that brewed it, they went out of business for a few years, but started up again around 2016 or so but in an area that was quite out of the way. To the owners credit he had come back swinging for the fences, buying his own land and building his own pub, a very impressive looking building. I took a peek at their online menu and I think they were still offering the bitter they used to. But to be honest I never felt fully welcome in the place, I'm not British, and really it was their pub for people from their country. Understandably they wanted a break from the international and Thai orieneted places everywhere else. The service sort of made me feel they knew I didn't belong amongst their clientel. My wife is clearly not high status Thai and that reflected on me, they were friendly towards her but the attitude to me was, your wife is a nobody so you are an idiot and likely a nobody in your own country. All that considered it just made me feel not like making a difficult trek through a heavy traffic ridden section of town just to get a nice pint of bitter that everyone rolled their eyes at and by that me. Now that the country is heavily locked down the place has no doubt been closed for months. There is no end in sight to the lockdown so I wonder how the Londoner and their Cream Bitter will survive this one.

dcotom, SLeffler27, lucius10 and 5 others like this.
  30. moodenba

Accurate review of the brew, I think, judging from the BA consensus of about 3.0. The beer is on the current Genesee website (year round beer). Apparently, it went away for a while, but was resurrected in 2011. It looks like they might have been somewhat faithful to the earlier recipe. (Genesee had a dedicated ale brewery in the 20th Century, but ownership turnover and plant modifications might have changed that.)

DIM, snaotheus, Todd and 1 other person like this.
  31. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (2,915) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Cool - it might be interesting to revisit for the hell of it - I don't recall seeing it anywhere around here though. Cheers!!

snaotheus likes this.
  32. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,096) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Strange to be looking back to that first review now when I have needed to stop drinking beer for 2nd time in life. This time part of a joint effort with my Doc to stop consuming nearly everything I enjoy so as to keep my body alive. First time was my wife's demand in 1995. She had tried to get me to spend less money on beer by buying me a home brew system, but what she did was enable me to brew beers I love cheaply, which enabled me to drink more. Then, with birth of our second son, she made me promise to give up drinking completely for ten years. I did.

2005, when the vow ended, was a great beer year for me for sure! Things had gotten excellent! The craft beer revolution was underway (though distro and locals sucked compared to now). I discovered Beer Advocate and used it to find what beers to drink, and as a learning tool. Enjoyed things here immediately.

I lurked for a long time, gaining more knowledge and confidence to be a participant. My first review in March of 2009 was a beer that was my favorite beer of the time, Hop Stoopid. My review is only mildly embarrassing, but perhaps I ought to be embarrassed more than that? https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/35738/?ba=cavedave#review

33. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,394) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

November 25, 2010. Reviewed Samuel Smith RIS that I had with Thanksgiving Dinner. After discovering Beer Advocate about a month earlier on the web, I was interested in learning about all the styles of beer. Russian Imperial Stouts really intrigued me and I went to the best craft beer store in town and found the Samuel Smith one as my brother always raved about Samuel Smith beers. I gave my first beer review a perfect 5 (Ive since re-rated it to a lowly 4.78 (sarcasm). To this day, my beer pairing at Thanksgiving dinner is something very fun, important and special to me. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/782/?ba=bubseymour#review

34. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,391) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I can honestly say I still remember the day. 18 years ago in October. My first review was Unibroue 11. I had learned about BeerAdvocate at a recent brew fest ( at a brewpub that no longer exists) here in Connecticut.
    We were living in our first apartment and had a friend visiting. I had sat on the bottle for a little and had an account and had been voraciously reading posts and reviews and decided I would try to do one.
    So I popped the cork on the 750 of Unibroue 11 poured it into my glass. Review is here:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22/7361/?ba=sulldaddy#review

I remember being kind of nervous to post it as I wasnt really sure how to review a beer, Id drank many of them and even thought about many of em as I did so. But this was a new thing and I definitely had others in the house read my notes before clicking submit on the screen.

Not ashamed by those notes, wondering if I would detect more flavors or aromas from the brew now. A couple thousand reviews in at this point, Id have to guess yes.
    Beer isnt brewed anymore, but funny thing is I have another bottle in the cellar that Ive been waiting to open for a special gathering. Maybe an 18 year comparison on the Cellar Reviews thread?

Thanks for starting this thread @Todd ! Great trip back in time and fun to read others experiences too

35. Resistance88

Resistance88 Disciple (364) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

I have yet to review a beer. Maybe ine day, but i am no super taster. When friends ask me how a beer was, whether it be a special BA Stout or a lager all i can say is " shit was good" or " shits wack" :joy::joy:

36. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,082) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I mean this is still valuable information :joy::joy:

37. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,082) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

So I had to go look - I signed up on March 5th and wrote my first reviews on March 6, 2016. I actually remember why I signed up on BA now ... Around that time, I was lurking and had been reading about the new Ballast point beers that were coming out - mango even keel and watermelon dorado. Well I bought both and thought both were not great, so I signed up to write reviews. :joy:

38. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,119) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Jan '21. Stone Delicious IPA. Gluten reduced yet really powerful. Ready to explain my beer plight to other beer people. My first napkin beer note is from 1987...The plot thickens...
    [​IMG]

39. unclekeith

unclekeith Savant (907) Sep 4, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

I remember being very intimidated by the process and feeling unqualified to actually write a review.

I prepared by getting the “standard” review format figured out - serving style, serving glass, serving temp and then going through each of the 5 attributes bullet style.

Went with a popular local beer and matched my ratings to hit the average. It seemed like a big leap at the time but the process of focusing of each aspect of a beer and describing it has been very beneficial to me. The contemplation has definitely added to my enjoyment

40. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,421) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Heady Topper!

Amendm, Redrover and snaotheus like this.