What's "too fresh" for hoppy beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Damian, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damian

Damian Poo-Bah (3,396) Jun 1, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

With many people around the country now having regular access to hyper-local breweries, many of whom brew some incredible hoppy beers (IPAs, DIPAs, PAs, etc.), the discussion has come up as to "how fresh is too fresh?" I'm fortunate enough to get cans and bottles of Tree House and Trillium beers, which are often sold the same day they are canned/bottled. While standing in line, I've heard people around me say that they like to wait at least a few days to drink their beers so that the hops "settle down" and the beers aren't "liquid hop water."

Just curious as to what you all think is the "sweet spot" for popping hoppy beers?

JoshVelez and StoutElk_92 like this.
  2. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,420) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

For me it's 3 to 4 weeks, not a fan of ultra green (young) beer..

3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Depends on the beer. For the Nugget Nectar I'm having right now my sweet spot is between 2 and 6 weeks. Before 2 weeks it has a harshness to the bitterness that isnt' tempered by the malt. After 6 weeks the hops start to fade. It is still enjoyable but not quite so much as during that time between 2 and 6 weeks when everything--the aromas and flavors--is spot on for me.

#3 drtth, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  4. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Fresh as possible. I want hop water. I would like to take a wad of fresh hops and stick it in my lip like a dip of tobacco.

5. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Fresh Hop Drop and Roll one day old can be a bit "hot." I think they are all different.

Two day old Pliny flown in from SF was magic.

SawDog505 likes this.
  6. jakemn91

jakemn91 Crusader (776) Jun 14, 2013 New Mexico

Put me in the "as fresh as possible" crowd. I've never had an IPA that I thought would be better mellowed out

7. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (836) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Fresh is always better in my experience. I loved getting day old cans of Top Cutter or Cowiche.

8. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

That would burn! I have chewed on a Hop Cone....17% AA...it was not a pretty experience.

9. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,868) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

As fresh as possible

SawDog505 likes this.
  10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I like freshly canned beer too. I don't think any hoppy beer gets better with time on it, but lots of things influence taste besides time. Dark and cool extend the age, cans extend the age factor a bit too.

11. lester619

Yeah, I'd have to be pretty ripped and have someone question my manhood to actually go through with it.

kerry4porters and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  12. rossracing

rossracing Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Illinois

now now now drink as fresh as possible

SawDog505 likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,820) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

For my homebrewed IPAs about 4 weeks after bottling.

Something I posted this in a previous thread:

“I had a recent experience with a 6-pack of Union Jack IPA in cans. I purchased that 6-pack fresh (couple of weeks after canning). I placed that 6-pack into my refrigerator and started drinking one within a day of purchase. I was really disappointed in the first 3 cans from that 6-pack. 'Evil' thoughts like "they must have changed the recipe" popped into my mind. About a month later I drank the 4th can that beer was wonderful. It took about 6 weeks after canning (and cold storage) for that beer to reach its peak. A very strange experience indeed.

Cheers!

Edit: David Walker of Firestone Walker seems to agree with me:

“Walker, upon taking his first sip of Union Jack in a can, noted that despite the “freshness craze” going around, he thought the beer was “a little young,” and when pressed noted that he likes his Union Jack, “aged about 45 days. It let’s the malt catch up a bit.”

http://www.cabrewmasters.com/news/firestone-walkers-lion-visits-new-venice-beach-den-cans/

Cheers!

14. Shroud0fdoom

That's usually how all my best mistakes happen...:rolling_eyes:

papposilenus, PatrickCT and lester619 like this.
  15. Shroud0fdoom

Similar with my experiences with Maine Beer Company's MO. I had one bottle that was about 5 days old. The hops didn't quite "sing" at that age. I drank one (now at two weeks old) the tropical hop profile settled in.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (3,001) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Oh, they definitely have a sweet spot. Did you ever have Weyerbacher's Viridis Lupulis a few years back? That one was released with too much vegetal raw hop quality to it. It wasn't until it had several weeks in the bottle that it started to develop more recognizable aromas and flavors. I'm sure that many homebrewers have noticed a similar effect with their own beers.

17. Minnesota_beer_guy

Minnesota_beer_guy Disciple (303) Feb 15, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Lagunitas Born Yesterday was a much better beer 3-4 weeks old compared to the first couple bottles I had about a week after bottling

Gemini6 and MIbeer27 like this.
  18. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (651) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Too fresh?!?! Is there such a thing? I want my face in the bottling line, with my mouth wide open...

19. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

I've yet to have a hoppy beer that I thought was too fresh. I will say I've had some very fresh cans of OTWOA that I thought improved slightly after 7-10 days. On the other hand, I've had many hoppy beers that changed for the worse after a couple weeks. I prefer to err on the side of drinking beers as fresh as possible.

cavedave likes this.
  20. lester619

Someone dared my idiot brother to eat a ghost pepper last Memorial Day when we were camping. At first I tried to talk him out of it then I realized he deserved whatever he got and laughed at his pain. It was a harsh scene.

cjgiant and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  21. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (121) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

IPAs 6 weeks from brewing to glass is my sweet spot. Pale ales I look at 4 weeks. 2 weeks fermentation in both scenarios. Commercially in the bright tank I would think they can bottle at peak?

22. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Depends on the beer. Some are released too green and vegetal. Some aren't.

Hayden34 and wonothesane42 like this.
  23. nc41

Society Trader

I'll have to try this. My fear with hoppy beers is in "the when the malt catches up" part. I don't like when the malt equally catches up to the hops.

cavedave likes this.
  24. Grodd87

Grodd87 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

Maybe just eating hops but that is about it

25. JackHorzempa

Society

Michael, no I didn't.

Cheers!

26. JackHorzempa

Society

Dale, FWIW I personally do not ascribe to the verbiage of "when the malt catches up". For me it was more that the hop aroma/flavor was unpleasant initially and after some age I preferred the hop aroma/flavor. I suppose this could be a semantics issue but I wanted to provide my view that it was not that the beer became "malty" but more so that the hop aroma/flavor became 'better'.

Cheers!

cjgiant and TongoRad like this.
  27. scxcrunner

scxcrunner Zealot (569) Aug 24, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

no such thing as too fresh to me. With Tree House i don't notice much of a change in taste until week 2 but the fresher the better IMO.

28. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

I'm with you, nothing beats Pliny day 1 of bottling or on draft.

socalnate, TrojanRB and lester619 like this.
  29. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Most beers I like about one month old exactly. I like to find them fresher though, so I know they haven't been through a lot, and they can safely age to a month in my fridge.

PatrickCT and chavinparty like this.
  30. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 Ohio

Hoof Hearted beers all need a week or more to further condition after they have been canned. My friend and I cracked a can from the last batch of konkey dong the day it was canned and it was so bitter. After nearly five weeks we opened the last can and it was unbelievable. Pure pineapple juice.

31. tbryan5

tbryan5 Meyvn (1,209) Sep 22, 2012 Louisiana
    Trader

Hops still on the vine= too fresh

32. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (121) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

That's rediculous. Fresh hops are the best they just need 6 weeks before you drink them

33. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

I actually prefer to drink my beer before it's even brewed.

34. OTB

OTB Zealot (513) Sep 2, 2011 California

I think this is really valid discussion and find these posts really interesting. I am a IPA/DIPA fresh freak for the most part, however I do believe that quite a few of these beers do get better with some can/bottle age, by that I mean a week to a couple weeks depending on the hops used as well as a few other factors. I recently have noticed after picking up growlers and bottles of just hours old beers that for the most part they were much better a couple days/weeks later.

Cheers……...

35. ClavisAurea

ClavisAurea Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008 New York

Heady at Day 1 is very good. Wait a few weeks and it becomes sublime. Even the head brewer prefers it aged a little.

36. CNoj012

CNoj012 Meyvn (1,300) Dec 7, 2014 New York

Some of the freshest beers I've ever had are Congress Street the day it was bottled and a one day old Vicinity, both by Trillium, and I was absolutely blown away. Can't speak for other breweries, but as far as Trillium goes fresh is best.

mpmcguire11 likes this.
  37. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Varies too much from beer to beer. I have had plenty that are too green for a few days to a few weeks.

OldManMetal likes this.
  38. nc41

Society Trader

I believe John Klimmish cans Heady at 8 weeks old if I'm not mistaken.

39. CGuil220

CGuil220 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2015 New Hampshire

As many have said, I think it depends. I know that with Fiddlehead in VT, if you drink their beers (at least their original Fiddlehead IPA) within the first few days of it being canned or put in a keg, the flavors are so much more prominent. I mean crazy flowery and fruity!

lambpasty and chavinparty like this.
  40. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (525) May 9, 2007 Ohio

From my homebrewing experience I'm stymied by the sentiment that consuming ipas immediately are better than when some age is added to the mix. I've never had a bottle conditioned beer peak sooner than three weeks from bottling. Forced carbed kegs take at least a week to round out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.