What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukie

Lukie Jun 16, 2007 Australia

I have a fridge full of Corona.

I win this game of one-ups-manship.

mulder1010 and sirob like this.
  2. danieelol

danieelol Jun 15, 2010 Australia

Last night I had a Thornbridge Wild Raven, Hel & Verdoemis Misto, Breakfast Stout, Double Trouble and another Breakfast Stout.

Twas a good night.

3. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

Well if its time to whip the flaccid appendages out, I'll pull out my 3 incher with a Chocolate Rain

4. danieelol

I have a Jack Tar

Lukie likes this.
  5. Lukie

Daniel wins.

6. scmorgan

scmorgan Apr 5, 2005 Australia

Had one of the bruery sours ... was really nice.

7. scmorgan

Well its what wetted the whislte, or aren't i allowed to play this game?

8. mungus

mungus Oct 19, 2010 Australia

Big Eye! BWS up here continuing to impress me

mulder1010 likes this.
  9. mulder1010

mulder1010 Aug 29, 2008 Australia

Having 10/10 from Campus Brewing. Yes, your local Adelaide TAFE
    Really good RIS. Quite impressed by it.

10. hopswiller

hopswiller Jul 17, 2011 Australia

[quotthe mulder1010, post: 1678789, member: 245844"]Having 10/10 from Campus Brewing. Yes, your local Adelaide TAFE
    Really good RIS. Quite impressed by it.[/quote]

Are they selling it to the public or did you know someone?

11. danieelol

Konig Ludwig Weissbier

This actually tastes excellent. Been ages since I've had a hefeweizen, and this one delivers. More cloves than banana.

Parrotshake likes this.
  12. Lukie

Are they selling it to the public or did you know someone?[/quote]

They always sell their beers in the restaurant for take-away. You can only buy them there.

13. danieelol

4 Pines ESB (that was actually pretty tasty, nice nose and bitterness)

and now Liberty Sauvignon Bomb

Nice nose but fairly muted really

14. dgilks

dgilks Jul 14, 2008 Australia

Birthday beers today but have to work tomorrow so taking it easy. A Bob's Armpit and Last Drop at the Wig & Pen earlier now finishing up with a Westvleteren 12.

MrKennedy likes this.
  15. mulder1010

Parabola=shelf turd. Can pick it up at a Binnys. Impress me with some rarity...................bro :)

16. mulder1010

Are they selling it to the public or did you know someone?[/quote]

As Lukie said.................Available at their cafe. Have friends in Adelaide that were able to get me a 6 pack of it. Best use of $18 for a domestic 6 pack this year.

CarlisleWineBin likes this.
  17. danieelol

Last night had that Iron Maiden beer (pretty mediocre), fresh Riverside 44 (soooooooo good, don't even need to buy imports anymore with their beers around), St Ambroise RIS (so good again) and finished with a Riverside 77.

18. barls

barls Nov 15, 2006 Australia

drinking waywards eisbock.

19. danieelol

what's it like?

20. barls

barls Nov 15, 2006 Australia

smooth, with lovely mellow flavours and nice soft oak note in the finish. must get more and age it.

21. foles

foles Jan 28, 2007 Australia

Cheeky Monkey Hagenbeck (Belgo IPA)........ Is back and seems very fresh although no BB date.

22. Lukie

I now know why there are no BB's on bottles. It's F'ing hard to do!

23. foles

Why can't it just be on the label? I'm going to be honest - I never buy Feral bottles due to this (except limited releases). Better bet just to find it on tap or visit the brewery.

MrKennedy likes this.
  24. Lukie

That is even more difficult than getting it on the bottle!

Check the carton as they have a year from bottling on them.

25. danieelol

Stamping the date on the label or perforating a part of it to indicate date (like what Sam Adams does) is fine

26. Lukie

Sorry, let me go and get my stamper.................................................................................................................................................................................................... :confused:

27. eric5bellies

eric5bellies Jun 9, 2006 Australia

Just got back from Belgium, and what else to drink other that the Westy 12 :) Never get tired of this masterpiece. Found a source who has heaps of Westy without going to the monastary, I must be becomming a pro at this stuff !

I don't think there are many better experiences than sitting back at the Cafe In De Vrede sipping Westies on a hot day at 4 euros each and eating great cheese and meats.

Also went to the Hopp Museum in Poperinge who had a Trappist beer fest on. It was very interesting and they had heaps of old memorabilia. Found a great restaurant also and enjoyed some awesome food, Great stuff. Roll on 2014 !

MrKennedy likes this.
  28. scmorgan

29. hopswiller

hopswiller Jul 17, 2011 Australia

wow just cracked a de molen mooi & meedogenloos 2010 - one i picked up a couple of months ago for a crazy price, wish i got more

30. Toast_Om_Nom

Toast_Om_Nom Aug 18, 2012 Australia

Little Creatures Pale Ale earlier while having lunch with Mum at one of the only bars in town with a decent tap selection. Went well with a chicken parma and chips.

Parrotshake likes this.
  31. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Nov 29, 2008 Australia

I recall someone in this thread referring to Dogfish Head Noble Rot as 'pointless'. Cbf looking it up but whoever it was was right. 'Hey, let's make a 9% Belgian ale infused with botrytised grape must and charge $16 for it even though it tastes like a badly skunked macro lager''. Fucking hell.

I'm in LA on my way to San Francisco/Mexico for my honeymoon and myself and the new Mrs Parrotshake have been drinking fairly well most of today I guess. Lagunitas IPA, GI Matilda, Stone Cali-Belgique and Götterdämmerung, Bruery Mischief, La Folie, Maui Coconut Porter and Oak Aged Oatmeal Yeti, but I saved Noble Rot until last and now I have to go to bed with my mouth tasting like that time I was 16 and someone put their ciggy out in my Carlton Cold and I drank it anyway.

MrKennedy and spicelab like this.
  32. dgilks

dgilks Jul 14, 2008 Australia

That would have been me and your description works too.

Enjoy the rest of the trip. Sounds great.

33. sinkas

sinkas Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Beer Trader

Went to Feral yesterday breifly,
    Saw Lukie,
    had BFH, v nice, fantapants, pretty nice, rust: not memorable ( hoping this isnt the next bottle relases),
    Razorbakc,' pretty good, the IIPA, was out didnt try the barrique de whatever
    had to chug all of them, as in a hurry, and pissed bogans lauding abbots victory was nauseating, even 2 hipsters fighting in street, in tears..weird
    anyway nice day n all
    I think it would make it easier for punters and staff if you crossed out the unavailable beers on black board,
    rather than writing them on a window nearby, sounded like almost every second punter was asking for a beer that was not available...

Parrotshake and danieelol like this.
  34. danieelol

Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier

3 for 15 from Vintage Cellars

Just so refreshing and amazing tasting

I am massively enjoying wheat beers again, I think my palate was oversaturated with lupulin

Also had a HORAL's Oude Gueuze Megablend 2011 last night which was extremely delicious accompanying Breaking Bad

35. Parrotshake

I had a feeling it was you. Man that beer was unpleasant. Checked out Mikkeller Bar last night and tasted a little Prairie Artisan Ales 'Merica, Hanssens Oudbeitje (I don't care if I spelled that right) and Angel's Share. All great beers in their own right but man that bar is in an incongruous location. They closed really early because no-one was there. Lots of homeless folks drinking outside, though. Maybe Mikkel should brew a beer that will make me temporarily immune to being hassled for a smoke. Drank a shot load of Blue Moon tonight at AT&T Park and currently enjoying a Boulevard Tank 7 on my hotel balcony.

36. danieelol

oh, also, Vintage Cellars actually stocks Founders Pale Ale now

37. mulder1010

What is your overall view of the place??? Been getting a lot of mixed reviews from peeps I know in the US. You are not the first to mention an interesting location. In SF in December and planning on going but hearing too much of the same stuff. Bad location and expensive as heck. Could easily drop some cash in the sour room though.

38. mulder1010

Fullers 1845--------- Really nice English Strong Ale. Like the fruitcake flavors
    Brewboys hoppapotamus----- A little old but still nice. More wooded citrus flavors. Do not think this batch is as good as previous batches.
    In Adelaide for a a few days. Going to the Wheaty tomorrow to drink from the fountain of hoppiness and one other pub that apparently has a Brash/ SKA collaboration.
    Was quite nice to walk into a shop today and see a full range of Fullers beers and some English stuff that does not get as much appreciation as there should be.

MrKennedy likes this.
  39. Parrotshake

Worth a visit for sure, although I'd been checking the tap list a few days before I got into town and a lot of the shit I'd been keen to try had dried up by the time I got there. The list of sours is mostly some older Cantillon. Bottle list is like 50% Mikkeller, a lot of things I haven't seen in Aus. Beer served at proper temperatures, excellent staff, all that. It's not as cool yet as I think it will be. It's definitely something you have to go out of your way to, though. No other reason to check out that part of town.

Also with you on the Fullers 1845. That was my favourite beer in the world a few years ago. Currently drinking a Drakes Aroma Coma. It's really good but after a few days on the west coast your palate gets numb to IPAs. I drank 4 pints of Pliny earlier and it was 'OK'. Clearly that's my problem.

mulder1010 and MrKennedy like this.
  40. foles

You need a palate reset. Find some good pilsners (i.e. Victory Prima, Firestone walker pivo etc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe