What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Australia

Last night was too many Feral Smoked Porters off of the handpump at the Sail and Anchor.

I got hammered, organised a blind date for my friend with one of the girls I used to work with, made my old boss comp my tab and then got him to drive me home at 3am ( a 40min detour for him) whilst I bitched about my life.

It was clearly the beers fault.

Parrotshake and danieelol like this.
  2. hopswiller

hopswiller Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2011 Australia

last Full Nelsons or what ever they are called these days were at least 3 months ago and tasted a treat

3. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Australia

A squealer of Watermelon (every job has it's perks - that and 45min old Hop Hog), followed by Riverside 44 and 55 (thanks to Mr Heygeebee {Owen, I will drink yours later, thanks too}).

Riverside really good. Really good. It was the only good thing about watching Tottenham v Fulham. Boring game. Although the sight of Dimitar Berbatov always makes me swoon. You can never have enough Berba-rotica in your life.

4. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2008 Australia

Orval, that Chimay anniversary beer - which isn't my cup of tea at all, and some Speedway Stout. Leftover Carslberg in the fridge is probably next.

5. heygeebee

heygeebee Pooh-Bah (2,101) Aug 6, 2010 Australia
    Pooh-Bah Society

been a while since I chirped on this one...

Watermelon Warhead @ Feral last week was a highlight - a very different interpretation of the beer than I had @ Pumphouse a while back. New batch is much clearer with much better head retention. Boris was excellent as well.

Last night some odd blue and green drinks @ Frankie's Pizza. hmmmm. Brother Thelonious worked well, as for Honey I'm Home, well I wish it wasn't.

Oh, and some dead fresh Hop Hog from IBS.... can't be bad - imho better after 3-4 days in bottle than dead fresh but there you go....

6. hawthorne00

hawthorne00 Devotee (331) Nov 23, 2010 Australia

Sinha stout. Every time, it's "it's going to be pretty good but come on, it couldn't be _that_ good."

Other recent fabulous: Evil Twin Even More Jesus, 3 Fonteinen Oud Gueze, Herfst, Stone Smoked Porter.
    Fairly impressive: Mornington Mosaic IPA, Forrest Pobblebonk Honey Saison, Amager 500 IPA, Hopworks Hub Lager, Hercule Stout, Holgate Millenium Falcon.
    Less taken by: Evil Twin Honey I'm Home, Alesmith Old Numbskull.
    Kill it with fire: Struisse Wit.

7. Lukie

Lukie Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2007 Australia

I wish Sculpin cans, but woolworths.

CHEAP BIG EYE IPA GUYZ~!

8. sinkas

sinkas Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2008 Australia

what lukie, who has the cheap big eye? and who has sculpin cans?

9. Lukie

No one. That is the point.

10. hopswiller

hopswiller Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2011 Australia

Dan Murpys has been selling cartons of BP Big Eyes for $65 for sometime now, just depends on the store and if they choose to stock it.
    One of the few craft brands that doesnt gather dust like the rest of their range.

11. sinkas

sinkas Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2008 Australia

No worries, yep have bought about a dozen slabs of it from dans,
    had red IPA from LC last night,
    its good, a bit watery on the finish, and has the sierra nevada like hop profile , which I can only assume is whole cone hops,

12. danieelol

danieelol Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

I find Sierra Nevada's aroma hop profile to be muted and subtle...fair hit of bitterness though.

13. spicelab

spicelab Savant (1,223) Nov 6, 2009 Australia

Halfway through Hargreaves Hill Phoenix 2012. Great beer. Really complex fortified malt character, plenty rewarding.

Started with Birrificio Del Ducato New Morning. Bit much lemon all-purpose cleaner action, but doable.

danieelol likes this.
  14. danieelol

From Tap:

Riverside Resurrection - pretty good
    Young Henry's Real Ale - infected or just bad
    Riverside Golden Ale - nice, considering the style. better than reviews suggest.
    Little Creatures Red IPA - pretty enjoyable
    Holgate Millennium Falcon - very pricy, could drink this but the aromatics and general flavour were muted, nothing much here really (bottle could be very different, I've no idea). Very hard to justify the price on this one.
    Moo Brew Belgo - enjoyed this one. Light and sessionable but with big heft from the banana and breadiness. Well made and crisp wit-esque beer in my opinion.
    Young Henry's/Mountain Goat Collab - ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. The most disgusting, horrible, infected and just downright bad mess of beer I think I may have ever had. Tastes worse than sour milk. Should have been able to return that to the bar and really just denigrates the notion of craft in general. Young Henry's actually need to learn to brew decent beer. Seriously.

At home:

Hargreaves Hill Pale Ale: Bit of ye olde plastic (Let's call it Aussie hop character as Aussie brewers really love the scent of plastic in many of their beers) but pretty nice in general, did get some fruity hop character from it
    Moon Dog Artisan Poseure - A non-infected beer from them so that alone impressed me. Lots of cola character. This one could see mainstream success if they dried it out and toned down the cloves and sweetness a little.

Might drink a Murray's Best Extra Porter next. Straight from 2011 so you can know for sure it wasn't contract brewed.

15. Lukie

Finished at the shop. Drank Mamouche.

MrKennedy and danieelol like this.
  16. danieelol

Mmmm capsicum lambic

Fuck, I wasn't supposed to let slip Zwanze 2014...

17. Lukie

2014 might be the stout!

18. danieelol

Jean told me to tell you that you're fired

Revealing trade secrets

19. Lukie

I am Jean. :O

20. danieelol

Oh hi mate

Could you perhaps brew a 2015 Zwanze with Vegemite, Anzac Biscuits and some food colouring representing a Southern Cross?

I'd be very appreciative

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.