What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinathon

Twinathon Initiate (127) May 1, 2013 Australia

It was really enjoyable and drinkable. At first, from the amount of bourbon on the aroma, I thought it was going to be super boozy, but it wasn't at all. The aroma was really enticing, bourbon at the start, with tobacco and roasted coffee following and the taste followed similarly. If I come across it again, I'll pick it up for sure.

2. danieelol

danieelol Savant (954) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

On Wednesday I had a Cooper's Vintage 2013 (not bad actually, solid 3.5 or so), Riverside 44 (great as always), BrewDog Waimea (probably the second worst of the bunch after Dana, Goldings was decent and think El Dorado was too), and a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (enjoyed it far more than my first outing with it).

Tonight I am starting with a Goose Island Sofie. Lovely beer.

3. danieelol

Now opening a Knee Deep Simtra. I wonder if it can live up to the high standards set by Holgate Millennium Falcon. Even if it can't...at least it was cheaper.

4. danieelol

Now it's time for a John Martin's Guinness. Picked up a case from Dan's. On special.

brendanos likes this.
  5. deathevocation

deathevocation Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2008 Australia

Paulaner Oktoberfest.

6. deathevocation

!!!! Haven't seen that in a few years!!!

7. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2008 Australia

I forgot to tell Beermasons I wasn't interested in the current pack like I have the last 5 or so times and a box from them turned up in the post. Currently drinking the Brasserie Thiriez Etoile du Nord and it is a pretty smashing saison, a little underrated on this site I think. Pleasant surprise.

8. danieelol

Tonight I had Little Sumpin Sumpin, Double Jack & Victory At Sea

9. hopswiller

hopswiller Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2011 Australia

really enjoyed and old bottle of moon dog henry tonight, around 12 - 18 months old its no longer a fizz bomb, has settled and the flavours have melded well

10. deathevocation

Decided to come to SA for three days and staying at Hahndorf. Enjoying sitting outside drinking HB Original.

11. eric5bellies

eric5bellies Meyvn (1,266) Jun 9, 2006 Australia

Will be drinking a 1982 Westvleteren ABT (11% Yellow Cap) This weekend, watch this space !

brendanos, MrKennedy and spicelab like this.
  12. deathevocation

Just picked up a case of Southwark Stout. The guy at the bottleshop said it is a bit difficult to obtain in SA these days, is that right?

13. hopswiller

How does the Southwark compare to Coopers?

14. Gasc0igne

Gasc0igne Devotee (427) Oct 6, 2013 Australia
    Beer Trader

Had my second West Coast IPA from GreenFlash tonight, my aging experiment confirmed my original thoughts on the beer (being it was far more enjoyable closer to the bottling date).

Looking forward to having the 2013 Bigfoot Barleywine tomorrow.

15. deathevocation

I'll let you know shortly. Haven't opened the case yet.

16. Twinathon

2012 Narwhal, absolutely delicious.

17. deathevocation

Hop Hog.

Lukie likes this.
  18. Gasc0igne

Beer Trader

Racer 5 IPA.

19. deathevocation

Haven't had Coopers for a while though from memory it isn't too far removed from the Southwark (which feels a bit thinner in the mouth). Tastes like an Australian stout made by the big boys, nothing to go crazy over though enjoyable.

20. heygeebee

heygeebee Poo-Bah (1,540) Aug 6, 2010 Australia

Well well well, Sail and Anchor Devil Dodger tonight, and given that I was thirsty, it went down an absolute treat.... Entry level yes, but really drinkable

21. Gasc0igne

Beer Trader

2x Anchor Steam Beer and a Double Trouble IPA.

22. hopswiller

been drinking budget bipas this week (big eyes & coopers stout)

splashed out and cracked a bottle of risgoop tonight, fkn joyous stuff!!!

23. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2008 Australia

Drinking some Moondog Mummy Have A Bite just now. Since that first infected Henry Fords I had about 2 years ago there is some Pavlovian response going on where I involuntarily flinch every time I smell one of their beers. Not that I don't like a few of them a lot, it's just a thing that happens. I was quite enjoying my first 2 sips of this one while watching the baseball and then I got up to piss and came back to discover my cat had knocked it over. Drag. Earlier I enjoyed some LC IPA - first time I had it, doesn't do what an IPA should but it is tasty, Vanderghinste Oud Bruin and now perhaps I'll have an FBS.

24. Lukie

Lukie Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2007 Australia

Fantapants.

Saison Dupont (which is probably the best imported beer in the country) with French Camembert.

Parrotshake, hopswiller and spicelab like this.
  25. danieelol

On Sunday had a 1000 IBU (bit underwhelming but quite drinkable, more of a barleywine to my palate), Little Sumpin' Wild & Riverside 44.

The latter two were neck and neck and both great.

26. brendanos

brendanos Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2005 Australia

Last year I think they just doused an old wine barrel with some cheap whisky (someone correct me?), while this year they borrowed some fresh heavily charred first-fill whisky casks (which used to be sherry/apera casks). Might explain why you can taste more of the wood and the whisky!

Twinathon likes this.
  27. danieelol

DFH Aprihop, Can't Fight The Funk & Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge last night. Enjoyed all of them.

28. Twinathon

That makes a heap of sense, cheers for the info.

Had Boatrocker's Ramjet the other night, was quite tasty with a really good mouth feel.

29. sinkas

sinkas Aspirant (201) Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Beer Trader

Had gage rodds Pumpkin Ale last night,
    pretty uninspiring

30. dansmcd

dansmcd Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Australia

Fresh Hop Hog all weekend.
    Stoked to pick up a Westy 8 yesterday from Carlisle. Think I'll stash it for a few months at least.

Lukie likes this.
  31. deathevocation

32. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

Damn that's hard to beat!

33. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

Nothing special tonight - just a tallie of Coopers stout

34. deathevocation

LC IPA. Pretty muted.

35. danieelol

Yesterday was a Riverside Pale Ale (good stuff, very fresh), MoonDog Mommy Have A Bite (ambivalent), Boatrocker Ramjet (real nice Aussie BA IS) and my last Founder's Breakfast Stout (coffee is real faded, hopefully the 2013 release comes in soon)

Today had a Fat Yak and Corona at work (didn't mind either tbh), then 2 Riverside Pales, a Riverside Amber and now Cuvee Delphine

spicelab likes this.
  36. danieelol

Might have a sneaky Beer Here Vinter Ale next

brendanos likes this.
  37. danieelol

Finishing with a Perverse Sexual Amalgam...really works well as a Flanders Red (which I guess it was always modelled on) at this point, although I also enjoyed it previously. Drinks a lot like a big red wine, another beer which will be subsumed in the annals of history as it never gained the critical mass of hype...

38. spicelab

spicelab Crusader (773) Nov 6, 2009 Australia
    Beer Trader

This reminds me that I keep meaning to contact Moon Dog to find out which beers they plan to re-brew, and whether anything other than Love Tap (which I don't care for) will become year-round.

I was quite a fan of their Berliner Weisse-y fruit things (Melon Gibson, MacGuava and Billy Ray Citrus) and would be keen to see them back, but unfortunately their website lists them under "come/gone".

39. brendanos

brendanos Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2005 Australia

Now I hate Moon Dog as much as the next guy, but I have had a lot of love for Perverse Sexual Amalgum. A little bit acetic and "sick" but still drinkable and really complex. I thought Mr Mistoffelees was fantastic in bottle and when it had a chance to clean up (it was pretty vomit-sick at specTAPupar... even though I still loved it). Also drank Mummy Have a Bite yesterday in a park in the sun out of the bottle and loved every minute of it. And today I tasted distilled MacGuava which I think was an improvement on the original. Hmu if you wanna try it.

Currently enjoying a Green Flash Rayon Vert bottled 16 months ago. It's a pain/exciting to pour, but developing really nicely. I loved it when it was fresh and hoppy, and expected it would get less exciting/intense over time, but the Brett is pretty epic. Had some great Hogs earlier at the GNH and a great draught Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier at Josie Bones.

Fav beers lately have been The Australian Dark Lager, Boatrocker Ramjet, Bright BA Stubborn Russian, Weltenburger Pilsner (old mate)... and Boneyard Red Ale.

danieelol likes this.
  40. deathevocation

Mountain Goat Summer cans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.