What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin553

Darwin553 Jan 5, 2009 Australia

I would be interested to know how they go - possible inclusion into my store's line-up. A bit of a point of difference with craft being sold in the can.

2. deathevocation

deathevocation Nov 7, 2008 Australia

Not sure I enjoy them that much. Very light with pretty fruity finish. About to swap to something else.

3. Darwin553

Darwin553 Jan 5, 2009 Australia

Can you put yourself into the shoes of a JS drinker and consider whether they would appreciate them?

4. deathevocation

I think alot of people would enjoy them. Very easy drinking and no taste until the finish. Taste is fruity.

Think the pricing is a bit high. Give them a go I suppose. BTW I jumped ship to Southwark.

5. Toast_Om_Nom

Toast_Om_Nom Aug 18, 2012 Australia

The Summer Ale isn't bad. The flavour is just... too muted for my liking. I'll echo the sentiment about the price. Worth a try, but I'd rather buy something else for the same price or cheaper.

Devil's Canyon Full Boar Scotch Ale being consumed here.

6. danieelol

danieelol Jun 15, 2010 Australia

Last night had a Riverside Pale, To Ol Black Malts and Body Salts, Dieu Du Ciel L'Herbe a Detourne and two Big Eyes

7. Toast_Om_Nom

Toast_Om_Nom Aug 18, 2012 Australia

Revisiting a beer I haven't had in close to a year and a half: Kooinda Black IPA.

8. danieelol

Last night had a James Squires Constable (quite enjoyable for me although it definitely had their house profile, worked ok in that style though), a Founders Rubaeus (so much fruit and a little sweet for a beer although it's as easy to drink as fruit juice) and a Grand Ridge Mirboo Madness (first time having and seemed a little odd to me).

9. dgilks

dgilks Jul 14, 2008 Australia

I'm not saying it's a phenomenal beer but it is quite tasty and thoroughly drinkable.

10. hopswiller

hopswiller Jul 17, 2011 Australia

dropped past ibs for the yeastie boys tap takeover after work today. great selection of four different beers i'd not seen before in perth.

ended up grabbing a PKB remix 2013 & Englebert Pumpernickel (really recommend this)

11. Lukie

Lukie Jun 16, 2007 Australia

Tired of oxidized imports. I think I am going to just flat out give up buying any imported IPA's. The current Beercamp stuff is like drinking cardboard.

foles likes this.
  12. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Nov 29, 2008 Australia

Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break. Weird that an out-of-the-way wine shop with a modest beer section has whole untouched shelves full of great craft beers but there was only a few of these left. I don't want to be one of these 'back in the day I used to be able to buy dusty Cantillon bottles off the shelf at a discount because they weren't selling' guys but the fact is, back day I used to be able to buy dusty Cantillon bottles off the shelf at a discount because they weren't selling. Australian craft beer culture is infuriatingly immature and I'm no storied veteran either, but I definitely drank my share of Coopers tallies and thought it was the best beer ever before I moved on.

At any beer venue I have been to recently the crowd is now primarily young dudes with beards and cowboy boots with no idea how to pitch a tent but with tons of disposable income and because their idiot yuppie parents were too lazy to make them dinner when they were 8 and took them to fancy sushi restaurants instead of forcing them to eat an overcooked pork chop with mash and mushy frozen green beans, they have never had to make an effort to appreciate anything. Does the Internet say a beer is good? Lets get that. Lets proclaim that the best even though we have no point of reference.

Sorry. Imperial Biscotti Break is very good.

13. Lukie

Why do you think 6-12 month old IPA's still sell off the shelf, or people clamour for the next grey market US beer. It's because they don't know any better. I used to be in the same boat, I didn't know any better. It wasn't until I was drinking fresh beer nearly every day that it was like hitting enlightenment.

dansmcd and foles like this.
  14. hopswiller

hopswiller Jul 17, 2011 Australia

boatrocker ramjet, fkn wow!!! didnt see that one coming......

danieelol and brendanos like this.
  15. deathevocation

16. dgilks

2010 Cooper's Vintage Ale. Not bad at all. I've got some weird old stuff in my cellar that needs to come out. '09 (or '10) Ace of Spades anyone?

17. danieelol

Last night I had a Wicked Elf Kolsch (traditional and almost macro-esque but eminently slammable), I actually quite enjoyed it

Had a Lord Nelson Double Nelson- another good one I wasn't expecting, quite hoppy but very approachable, can see it having wide appeal

Youngs Courage- first time I've tried this beer and it was excellent. Lots of licorice and complexity.

Beavertown Black Betty- mayhaps a little palate fatigued at that point but while enjoyable it didn't quite live up to the ratings for me, but perhaps Black IPA isn't my favourite style

Garage Project Death from Above out of the can. This one seemed more muted than I remembered it but it was never an absolute hop bomb. Didn't get much of the adjuncts either although again, possible palate fatigue

18. dgilks

Some Temple Saison Miel and then a 2012 Bigfoot. Good stuff. Looking forward to a big sour tasting on the weekend. Lente, Horal Mega Blend, Mammouche, Armand and Tommy and some Bruery and Cascade sours will be fun.

spicelab and danieelol like this.
  19. heygeebee

heygeebee Aug 6, 2010 Australia

my my, HopDog Superbeast 2013 last night, that was a pleasant surprise. Might stock up on a couple more.

20. deathevocation

Quiet Deeds IPA.

21. eric5bellies

eric5bellies Jun 9, 2006 Australia

I've had two week old PTE and 6 month old PTE. The difference is noticeable but minimal. The freshness adds maybe 10% at most. Don't get me wrong I don't drink 2 year old IPA's (DFH 120 min aside !) There is a difference with the freshness, but its not that bigger deal. IPA's and PA's all just blend into one for me, and I really can't tell the difference. The Difference between PTE and HOP Hog is relatively small, and its one of the easiest beer styles to brew. Quite why there are so many of them in the Top 100 on this site is beyond me. Brewing a decent Quad or Geuze is far more complex

22. danieelol

I don't agree, I've had numerous terrible IPAs which simply don't work despite claiming to be copiously hopped. If you look at places like Russian River or The Alchemist it's obvious they've put massive amounts of R&D into making the best IPAs possible. There are probably more IPAs in the Top 100 because they are overrepresented as a style relative to Quads and Gueuzes.

23. deathevocation

Yakima Monster.

24. deathevocation

25. spicelab

spicelab Nov 6, 2009 Australia
    Beer Trader

Really? How many times have you performed this experiment?

I'm naturally a highly sceptical person and think most of the anecdotes swirling around the whole freshness doctrine are bullshit, but I've had plenty of hoppy beers that are noticeably diminished or displaying a shift in hop character at 6 months, including Hop Hog, Liberty Citra and yes, PTE.

26. Lukie

If you drink fresh (as in less than a week old) beer nearly every day you will pick up problems with beer 2 weeks+

It's crazy...

27. eric5bellies

eric5bellies Jun 9, 2006 Australia

Who said it was an Experiment ? LOL, Just merely an observation. Both PTE's (not drunk side by side) were nice but not great. I found Surly Abrasive, even at 3 months far superior. Maybe because of the can I don't know.

28. Krankyfw

Krankyfw May 31, 2012 Australia

The hop oils released in the dry hopping process contribute to significant amounts of flavour and aroma depending on the amount of hops used. The hop oils are volatile and they start to dissipate after about 3 weeks (this can vary for many reasons but it's a good rule of thumb). For this reason Pliny the Elder carries a recommendation on it's label to drink it fresh. I've drunk as much Pliny as I can get my hands on, both fresh and aged and there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that fresh is best.

29. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

30. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Feb 14, 2012 Australia

Last night I introduced Miss M (she's been upgraded) to Brooklyn Sorachi Ace. She was most impressed. Said there was a depth of flavour that she doesn't usually get from 'citrus-y, fruity beers'. I explained what Sorachi hops did/flavour profile. She then spent the night googling hop varieties and ignoring me.

To get her attention I then poured Southern Tier Plum Noir. I liked it very much. Ditto Miss M. I thought the plum flavour was v subtle and moreish. Wasn't over-powered by the coffee flavours at all. I probably had it to cold initially, better as it warmed up.

Next week for her, we're onto sours!

Last week, I tried Heady Topper (thank you Dansmcd). Very, very good. I would like 1000 more.

MrKennedy likes this.
  31. MordeciaFunk

0830: Pick up friend for day of gardening at my house.

0900: Open bottle of Tilquin to calm nerves as we survey the enormity of the job.

1000: Finish bottle of Tilquin

1001: Start gardening.

1010: Bin in now full of green waste.

1015: Drive to Bunnings to get new saws after saw blade kept snapping off handle and launching off into the distance.

1100: Return home. Both decide to drink more Tilquin.

1200: Call in reinforcements.

1230: Reinforcements arrive as lunch and Tilquin are finished.

1400: Front of house garden finished. Move out to the back.

1430: Whipper snipper a snake hiding in long grass. Big brown snake rears up and hisses. Squeal like a girl. Run to other side of garden.

1431: Check underwear. Still keeping an eye on snake, move back to front of house.

1432: Come to accept snake has won the back garden through right of conquest.

1433: Stop gardening and drink more Tilquin and then a Cheeky Monkey Silverback.

Conclusion: Gardening sucks. Beers are awesome. F__k snakes.

32. danieelol

Sunday night did a quick tasting with a friend:

Riverside Inner City White - real nice Hoppy Wit, growler thanks to Dave & Owen
    To Ol Southern Frontier - nice hoppy beer
    Imperial Biscotti Break - nice stuff, not mindblowing but quite subtle flavours
    De Molen Bar & Boos - tastes like a Bourbon RTD
    Nordic Saddle Buffer - nice and still makes mornings after unpleasant

Last night had:

James Squire Constable x 2 - still really enjoying this beer, real tasty with a nice underplayed hop bite
    Morphet Mullet run thanks to Owen - interesting and tasty Australian beer, 5% porter brewed with maple syrup
    2012 Bigfoot - still tastes virtually like a Double IPA, still way more hoppy than 2013 in my opinion and almost every other beer I've had

MrKennedy likes this.
  33. foles

foles Jan 28, 2007 Australia

Little Creatures Bright Ale - tasting very good at the moment.

34. MordeciaFunk

Last night was Armand & Tommy (awesome) before dinner (lime, coriander and chilli roasted chicken, with a chilli, cherry tomato & olive salad and some seared mango), Coopers Pale (tasted like 1st year uni) with dinner, then Speedway Stout (go to after dinner stout at the moment) and finally Brew Dog San Diego Scotch Ale with Macallan 18yr Old (why, because f__k budgets, thats why!).

Of course, after the good stuff was gone, we proceeded to smash back cans of Guinness whilst reliving early 90's music videos. Which is why I start to question my mothers decision to let her 10yr old son buy 'In Utero', the film clip to Black Hole Sun is quite weird and now I have a hangover I wouldn't wish upon Stalin or Franco (depending on your taste).

Brew Dog is actually quite good. I've gone off them and have developed a Pavlovian aversion response to anything they do, but fairs fair, this was v. tasty indeed. Burnt sugar and raisin taste, quite boozy? Tick, tick, tick. Scotch Ale job done.

P.s Food Advocate Alert: As an entree, I did goats cheese and fig, wrapped in prosciutto then lightly seared in a pan and drizzled with honey. I cannot recommend this enough. Food Advocate Alert over.

P.P.S The opening 'track' of 'It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back' still gives me shivers. I wish air raid sirens sounded whenever I entered a building.

MrKennedy and danieelol like this.
  35. MordeciaFunk

Also, an update from the gardening post.

Mordecia 1 - 0 Snake.

There is no chance of a rematch.

MrKennedy and dansmcd like this.
  36. deathevocation

Enjoying a Tilquin whilst listening to Sarcofago.

MordeciaFunk likes this.
  37. danieelol

well, last night I had a Constable, a Riverside IPA, an Old Rasputin (so damn good, haven't had in a while), Anchor Old Foghorn (interesting English-style barleywine), Bigfoot 2013 (starting to grow on me)

MordeciaFunk likes this.
  38. deathevocation

Haven't had a Rasputin at all this year from memory. I have one sitting around with some Wild Thing I bought mid 2012. Problem I was having with Rasputin was it was so nice and easy to drink = bit too pissed on couch watching football.

danieelol and MordeciaFunk like this.
  39. MordeciaFunk

I think I've said it before, but if I had an unlimited supply of Rasputin, I wouldn't need woman or any other vice in my life.

Last night was cans of Heineken (very grain-y?) whilst seeing the Screaming Jets in concert. I know I should have been drinking bourbon rtds due to the setting but beer advocacy is a full time vocation.

I think I was the only boy there not in a black or chequered shirt.

40. deathevocation

Super conductor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe