What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foles

foles Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2007 Australia

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I love the classics.

LeeroyAgogo and deathevocation like this.
  2. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Australia

Cans of Guinness while I try and guide Tottenham to the 2016 Premier League and Champions League titles. Stupid Football Manager will be the end of me.

LeeroyAgogo likes this.
  3. spicelab

spicelab Crusader (773) Nov 6, 2009 Australia
    Beer Trader

How did this go David?

4. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2008 Australia

Coopers Pale Ale from a jug at the bowls club across from where I live. Too nice an afternoon not to. Now home and about to drink what will be probably the first of several bottles of Oud Beersel Oude Gueze and half-heartedly make spaghetti.

5. dgilks

dgilks Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2008 Australia

It was great. Lente is a stunning beer as is the Armand and Tommy. Oude Tart and The Vine were very nice too. We popped some non-sours as well as of which Smoking Wood Rye was probably the pick.

6. deathevocation

deathevocation Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2008 Australia

All Day IPA. Not sure on it tbh.

7. spicelab

Beer Trader

Good stuff. Love the Armand series, but can't remember if I've had Lente.

Also yet to have Oude Tart. Quite a few people bash Bruery sours but I think they're generally very well done with clear points of difference from Belgian and other US sour/wild ales.

8. Gasc0igne

Gasc0igne Devotee (426) Oct 6, 2013 Australia
    Beer Trader

Got me some DFH Sah'tea, My Antonia and Birra Etrusca (Bronze) from the recent shipment; so excited for the Sah'tea but might give the Etrusca a go tonight.

9. deathevocation

Nice day = sixer of Konig.

Parrotshake and foles like this.
  10. spicelab

Beer Trader

Hahn Premium Pilsner. Not bad at all.

11. LeeroyAgogo

LeeroyAgogo Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2013 Australia

So far tonight I've had a Lagunitas Maximus IPA, very very nice! Just finished a favourite, Kosciuszko Pale Ale and now just poured a Southern Ocean Ale and my god it's delicious.

12. admiral

admiral Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 Australia

Started off with a quality Summer ale from Endeavour (fairly new and seasonal), which was very enjoyable and then finished with, the classic, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

13. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (893) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

Last night was listening to Screaming Life/Fopp, drinking Loser to celebrate 25 years since Bruce Pavitt and Jonathan Poneman founded Sub Pop records. Nothing (else) to say, really...

[​IMG]

Parrotshake and LeeroyAgogo like this.
  14. LeeroyAgogo

LeeroyAgogo Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2013 Australia

That is so cool! Where did you score this from? Does it come in a (deep) six pack? ;-)

15. deathevocation

16. eric5bellies

eric5bellies Meyvn (1,266) Jun 9, 2006 Australia

17. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

I wish I could have found a (deep) six pack;) Found it at the oak barrel in Sydney. Wasn't seeking it out but I saw the sub pop logo out of the corner of my eye. If you can't find any where you're at let me know and I'll post you some.

Makes me want to watch Hype! again.

18. hopswiller

hopswiller Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2011 Australia

really enjoyed a six pack of ballast point big eyes this week, new label so as fresh as you cant get - bargain for $23

19. dgilks

In Melbourne for the weekend and kicking off with a Boatrocker Summer Stout at Slowbeer. Delightful start to a pleasant afternoon.

spicelab likes this.
  20. deathevocation

Just had a Cricketer's Arms IPA. Glad I only bought two.

21. deathevocation

For those interested, Dans has Bitburger five litre kegs for $30. The kegs are not the open and consume type either, apparently ok for up to 30 days.

22. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

Split a growler of Riverside 777 Double IPA with the old man. Both really loved it. Crapped all over Tusk.

23. deathevocation

Beechworth Pale Ale.

24. dgilks

Good day. The summer stout faded into Riverside/Cavalier Belgian Pale at the Royston, Four Pines IPA and Thunder Road Colonial Ale at Y&J then dinner with some interesting wines. Now Brew Cult Supa Fly at Penny Blue.

admiral and spicelab like this.
  25. hopswiller

Tilquin Gueuze and Fou'foune tonight, great see the fou lives up to the hype.

26. deathevocation

Finishing off the sixer of 55 with some Red Rooster. Haha, paired well. Not sure I'll buy this again though.

27. foles

Just did a side by side of Little Creatures Pale Ale vs Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, both best before August 2014 (both in good condition): Little Creatures, while a decent beer is just too harsh tasting in comparison. The hop flavour is just too rough, where SNPA has the clean, rich cascade-y goodness and is much more-more-ish. Has LCPA changed? jury is out, I reckon it has been fluctuating for years based on hop availability / prices.

#747 foles, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  28. foles

Just to clarify the above - I do like LCPA, its a good beer - SNPA is just a class above IMO, and I think its the hop selection.

29. deathevocation

SNPA sets the standard.

30. foles

It does. Proves its not how many hops, its how you use them......

31. buddyau

buddyau Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2009 Australia

East Coast LCPA now brewed in Geelong new address on the label

32. MordeciaFunk

Monday night was introducing a friend to Cantillon Gueuze and Armand & Tommy and the band Propaghandi (still one of the best names in punk). The beers blew his mind, the band less so. On reflection, another band I probably shouldn't have been listening too before I was a teenager. Then again the media filtering in my family wasn't particularly good. My nanna took me to see 'Schindler's List' for my 10th birthday because 'You like history.'

Monday was too many beers, which meant I was a bit fragile for the cricket at the WACA on Tuesday. In the box I was in, there was a choice between Boags Premium and Hahn Super Dry. Neither one really did it for me.

Tuesday night I had Rogue Santa's Private Reserve (tis the season etc). I wasn't impressed. Wasn't offended, just not wowed. I give it 3 'meh' out of 5.

33. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

A little different to Gervais' first viewing:

MordeciaFunk and trumpy like this.
  34. trumpy

trumpy Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2008 Australia

Eviltwin Falco. give me a blind tasting with Ballast Point Big Eye, and I would be buggered

35. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

Nothing like drinking some rare Stone and Wood that I can't seem to find anywhere other than the last two six packs in my bottle shop :D

36. MordeciaFunk

Not really Wet your Whistle, but this seems the general all purpose posting spot.

Two things:
    a) Merry Christmas to all. Seasons gree...blah, blah, blah. etc.

b) it's my birthday on Monday. I'll be at the Flying Scotsman from 12 until 12 if anyone wants to come and talk rubbish. I've met a few of you (Eamon, Andrew, Lukie, Dan etc) but it would be nice to put some faces to names.

Chris, the owner of the Scotto, is usually good for letting me bring in outside booze for small tastings, so feel free to bring something down. Miss M is also making a 1 meter long Darth Vader cake, so feel free to come and eat that too. His limbs are Chocolate and Guinness cake, his body is Whiskey and Lemon if that floats your boat.

Take care over the holiday period.

MrKennedy likes this.
  37. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

There is a member on these forums called Eamon? - that's my name too (well apart from the two ns on mine) :rolleyes:

38. hopswiller

had the freshest hop hog that ive knowingly drunk tonight, bottled 16/12 - damn!!!!!

also a nice a growler of the B2 Bomber Mach 3 thanks to Joel @ cellarbrations, cheers for getting this in for me - lot more richer malts than last year but still an enjoyable drop for sure....more hoppy imp stout than bipa i reckon

39. Lukie

Lukie Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2007 Australia

16/12... man that stuff is old <_<

Glad you liked it!

Had some Hog off the line and some 2 day old Sly Fox then had a DFH 90 Minute Barleywine... drain pour.

40. hopswiller

supreme stuff, may have to grab another cube or two whilst they are still there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe