What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALEBOY

ALEBOY Initiate (0) May 31, 2003 Australia

Bit of an unplanned IPA night.
    Little Creatures IPA
    Hop Hog
    My IPA
    Hop Czar

2. Lukie

Lukie Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2007 Australia

Last Hop Czar I had was like drinking pure acetaldehyde...

3. deathevocation

deathevocation Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2008 Australia

Been three nights in a row of work functions. First night included plenty of Bridge Rd Bling, second night Trumer Pils and last night was Little Creatures PA. 4th and final function tonight, though will not be having much beer given Hill of Grace will be pouring freely.

trumpy and danieelol like this.
  4. eric5bellies

eric5bellies Meyvn (1,266) Jun 9, 2006 Australia

Little Brewers 1 yr old Mad Abbot Tripel. I knew this beer would age well !

foles and dgilks like this.
  5. deathevocation

Just gome home. Shitty Chinese lager folllowed by Dom and Hill of Grace. Now on the Old Grand Dad. Snuck in a 500ml Paulaner Pils though. Four hard days guys.

6. CarlisleWineBin

CarlisleWineBin Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2008 Australia

Oskar Blues Deviant Dales. Loving the amount of can options at the moment....

7. Lukie

Special Hog. Oh so good.

8. danieelol

danieelol Savant (945) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

what's that Lukie?

9. Lukie

I don't know. I was just told it was special hog.... so good!

10. ALEBOY

My wife drank most of it but no dominant acetaldehyde in the bottle we had, just imported beer flavour - cardboard.

11. gulden

gulden Initiate (83) Mar 20, 2011 Australia

Enjoying a Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. Deliciously smooth and like a more refined version of of Holgate Temptress. Great cocoa.

12. danieelol

Hunter Cranky Pants - pretty muted IPA

13. danieelol

Black Mes (Black Damnation III)

St Amatus 12

3 x Obsidian Stout

eric5bellies likes this.
  14. aussieoverlord

aussieoverlord Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 Australia

Been away for a bit with work, in America. Back for Chrissy. Was able to bring back a case of 2 week old Sculpin in cans. Brilliant beer

MrKennedy and spicelab like this.
  15. deathevocation

New label Hop Hog whilst watching 49ers v Falcons on delay.

Lukie likes this.
  16. eric5bellies

eric5bellies Meyvn (1,266) Jun 9, 2006 Australia

Fullers Past Masters 1966 Strong Ale - Impressive

17. Toast_Om_Nom

Toast_Om_Nom Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2012 Australia

3F Oude Gueuze. What else does one drink on Christmas Day? Merry Christmas, guys.

18. ALEBOY

Had our work Christmas party last night. Some really good wines were shared as well as beers. The highlight for me though was the bottle of Ommegang Wild at Heart that my new Sister in-law to be brought me from New York (she is a Queens girl) yesterday morning. Fresh as a daisy, tasted great. Excellent use of Brett as a primary yeast.

spicelab likes this.
  19. deathevocation

Pint of Bridge Rd PA whilst eating open souvlaki. Matched well.

20. heygeebee

heygeebee Poo-Bah (1,528) Aug 6, 2010 Australia

Red Duck Sabre Tooth for me.... a recommendation from Beer Cartel. Hmm - poured a full hand of foam and needed five pours in total due to carbonation - not happy with that recommendation (!) Tasted OK but overall disaster in a glass

21. CarlisleWineBin

CarlisleWineBin Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2008 Australia

Had the Sabre Tooth a couple of times myself. Had no issue with carbonation in any. Maybe it didn't travel so well?

22. deathevocation

23. trumpy

trumpy Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2008 Australia

Cascade First Harvest

24. danieelol

had a mini-tasting with a mate, ended up being brief

Jack Tar Imperial Stout (not bad, substantially better than I expected it to be, have had many worse ISs from "craft" brewers)
    Billy B's Golden Apple Beer (first time trying this beer actually, decent but simple and overrated)
    MoonDog Great American Challenge (not too bad, not particularly worthwhile though)
    De Struise Port Barrel-Aged Tsjeeses (not worthwhile, substantially inferior to base beer)

25. dgilks

dgilks Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2008 Australia

Had a De Struise Coffee Club last night. Phenomenal beer full of real complexity. Today is a Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise 2006. Tossing up whether to keep it easy for the rest of the night or open my bottle of Darkness.

26. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (893) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

Thats smaller than a standard night

27. danieelol

Yer I was disappointed in myself but I think the heat and underwhelming nature of the beers we were drinking slowed us down

MrKennedy likes this.
  28. hopswiller

hopswiller Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2011 Australia

Had a can of Ten FIDY last night, bit of a let down after all i had heard. Good beer but nothing that special I thought.

29. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Australia

After heading down to the Sail and Anchor yesterday to drop off cake (my one job of the day) I rewarded myself with a mini tasting of things:
    Last Drop Sour Cherry, tart and refreshing. Another well constructed beer by Jan. Not a sour per se, but really nice on a hot day.

Tool Shameless Santa: Tasted like a boozy fruitcake. Job well done. Probably the wrong beer for the climate but who cares.

Bush Shack Brewery Chefs Chocolate Stout: A little too sweet for me, but it's a chocolate stout, so thats my fault not theirs. It would, I think, be a delicious way to end an evening.

Nail Imperial Dunn Brown: Delicious.

Mash Challenger and Rye the Hop Not?: Great as always.

Mt Goat Rye IPA: Not as great as I remembered, but still good.

On a side note, I was reading a press release regarding Crown Reserve (everyone's favourite whipping boy) and I saw this wonderful line..... 'First released in 2008, the prestigious brew uses three integral elements uncommon in brewing: fresh Galaxy hops.....' (my italics). I can only sigh. Sigh.

danieelol likes this.
  30. scmorgan

scmorgan Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2005 Australia

Tilsey Cider for me, too hot and humid on the coast for much ...

31. deathevocation

Hosted lunch today. Some Sam Smith lager, SN PA, that dubbel Duval makes, a quick glass of Blanton's Private and just cracked a Duvel.

32. dansmcd

dansmcd Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Australia

Dropped in to Feral for a pint of Raging Flem after a round of supa golf this arvo. Picked up a carton of Hop Hog for the weekend also. Fresh and tasting delicious.

Last night was Fullers Past Masters, Box Steam Dark and Handsome (both mild, tasty and very drinkable), and a couple of Torpedos.

33. deathevocation

Southern Hemisphere Harvest.

34. MordeciaFunk

The last couple of days have been quite decadent. Wednesday was Hallertau Funkonnay (really quite brilliant), AleSmith Old Numbskull (I don't know why I don't drink this more often), Clown Shoes Bombay Beserker (a nice take on a spiced stout) and Harviestoun Ola Dubh 12 (amazing!!).

Last night was AleSmith Speedway Stout (my love for this will never die), Beer Geek Brunch Weasel (good, but not as great as I remembered) and Hallertau Porter Noir (delicious).

All in honour of Miss M cooking a goat curry. Any excuse will do, I guess.

danieelol likes this.
  35. spicelab

spicelab Crusader (773) Nov 6, 2009 Australia
    Beer Trader

Great bottleshare a few nights back with danieelol, MrKennedy and Pat (of deceased account mulder1010).

West Ashley
    Bourbon County Rare
    Cantillon Blabaer
    Bruery Bottleworks, Melange #8 and Beauregarde
    Crooked Stave L'Brett D'Or
    Firestone Walker Sucaba.

Not a bad beer among them, although Melange #8 did polarise the group a little.

dansmcd and danieelol like this.
  36. MordeciaFunk

Is it a love/hate beer?

Also, for all your tastings you should make Pat bring his honey badger. It's cute and furry and says inappropriate things.

37. danieelol

imo it's extremely coffee-forward and that overrides most of the other elements of the beer

38. spicelab

spicelab Crusader (773) Nov 6, 2009 Australia
    Beer Trader

Good idea, but we'd have to ban it from using Twitter ;)

39. foles

foles Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2007 Australia

Swan Valley run: Elmars - tasty, Duckstein - woeful, all the beers seemed contaminated (used to be good), Mash - expensive.
    Fremantle run: Mash - Chief is far and away my fav IPA in WA, LC - great venue as usual, Fremantle Doctor was blowing hard on a picture perfect afternoon.

40. MordeciaFunk

Mash = Monk in Fremantle..?

Monk do some outstanding brews. I still salivate over the Bounty Coconut Stout.

Tonight I will have a Ballast Point Victory at Sea. Hopefully to celebrate my defeat of Carthage in Rome: Total War. Apt! Miss M is away for two months so I'm allowed to be a sad, sad, lonely individual drinking beers and playing computer games in a dark room. Any suggestions (or care packages) you wish to send matching beers and computer games is welcome.

spicelab likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe