What's wetting the whistle P.4

Discussion in 'Australia / Oceania' started by Gasc0igne, Jan 3, 2016.

1. BCurious

BCurious Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2017 Australia

I'll save those delicious US stouts for my trip in Nov. For now I'm looking forward to buying a dozen Aussie stouts and testing your assertion! :wink:

ELIZABETH14 likes this.
  2. Gasc0igne

Gasc0igne Disciple (363) Oct 6, 2013 Australia
    Trader

Issue is, BCurious is looking for the mouthfeel; other than SS Oatmeal (which is a great suggestion), and maybe Rogue Double Choc, your list is quite thin in my book.

ELIZABETH14 likes this.
  3. Benjo87

Benjo87 Initiate (124) Dec 27, 2014 Australia

True, but its hard get a thick mouthfeel on a non imperial stout. Actually i had a can of an aussie stout, was only like 4.2% but had a thick moutfeel. Cant remember what it was called. I think it had a cow on the can.

ELIZABETH14 likes this.
  4. smithflipper

smithflipper Aspirant (231) Jun 12, 2007 Australia

Not a Stout, but Rider's Loose Trucks porter is an excellent lower ABV option as is the Mornington Peninsula Porter. Boatrocker's regular Stout was good for something slightly bigger (6ish from memory). I could name more, but without knowing your location and preference (bottle v draught, I mostly drink draught).

BCurious likes this.
  5. Benjo87

Picked this up today. Batch - elsie milk stout. 4.4% and a HUGE thick and creamy mouthfeel. Lacking on flavour though, pretty bland.

6. sinkas

sinkas Initiate (167) Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Trader

went to VIC and SA for 2 days, tried
    LC Furphy, which reminded me of Southwark Bitter ( which I don't mind)
    Went to Flying Horse Warnambool,http://theflyinghorse.com.au/ had their beer, which while not exciting,were palatable
    probably beer of the trip was Southwark Stout, which is still a great drop
    also had nice pale ale and cidre from CIDREproject https://thecideproject.com/about/ bloody good vintage cider

ELIZABETH14 likes this.
  7. Twinathon

Twinathon Initiate (40) May 1, 2013 Australia

as a Melbournian/Geelongite the rise of Furphy is a blessing. For a commercial beer available in every establishment in Geelong, it's damn good. Certainly better than any of the other macro beers available.

ELIZABETH14 likes this.
  8. BCurious

Woah, some great suggestions there! Cheers all. (BTW, I'm based in inner-north Melbourne, so pretty handy to good pubs, bottle shops etc.)

Circling back to big beers (+10%), I split a very pricey 750ml bottle with a couple mates at The Catfish in Fitzroy last night. Deschutes Black Butte imperial porter. OMG! Beyond good. Life-changing. I just want to move to Oregon. I want to die and haunt that brewery. So much going on...

9. Benjo87

Im really loving KBS. $60 for a 4 pack lol... the life of a craft beer drinker in Australia. Ive probably gone through five 4 packs of KBS in the last few months.

10. smithflipper

Lovely pint of Foghorn Brewhouse Sligo Extra Stout, 7.2% of roast and fruit. Delicious.

11. Mountain_high_book

Mountain_high_book Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2014 Australia

Chur Lid Ripper Hazy IPA - Really tasty and my first hazy IPA that has made me realise there is a reason for the hazy/NEIPA craze. It was very juicy, bright and fruity but still felt like the flavours came from hops rather than fruit juice or something artificial. The low bitterness means the finish and aftertaste are fruity hops rather than bitterness.

Very keen to try a proper NEIPA from the likes of Trillium or Treehouse as the only other 'hazy' ipa's I've had are:

3 Ravens Juicy IPA - Pretty uninspiring and not that tasty. Won't buy this again. It is juicy and hazy but not much else. Maybe even a little artificial tasting.

CoConspirators The Matriarch NEIPA - Not bad. Worth trying if you want to experience some of the unique qualities of the NEIPA (fruity, juicy ,smooth, lowish bitterness) but it has dullness and is a bit muddled - not on the same level as Chur Lid Ripper.

12. sinkas

Trader

the Juicy IPA was $46 a six pack here at the local gouger,
    not worth that fro sure,
    I don't get it,
    do the american hazy ipa's all have citrus in them or is it just Australian ones?

13. Kegjez

Kegjez Initiate (18) Mar 18, 2015 Australia
    Trader

Just Australian ones...These guys are going straight into NEIPA+Lactose+Citrus, maybe need to nail the original first IMO

pkasten and Narkee like this.
  14. Benjo87

How it it that Aussie craft beer is just as, if not more expensive than American imports that get taxed heavily coming into Australia? Even the best and rarest craft beers in America are like $8US a bottle.

15. Mountain_high_book

Mountain_high_book Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2014 Australia

Just having another Chur Lid Ripper Hazy IPA and i've decided it is probably in between a NEIPA and a west coast IPA. Whatever it is - it's good.

16. BCurious

Treehouse only do draught from the farm gate. I'm sure it's wonderful. But seriously...

17. BCurious

Hop Nation do a tasty cloudy NEIPA straight from the tank at their brewery in Footscray. If you can get over the industrial backlot slasher film vibe to make it there, it's worth a try.

18. Narkee

Narkee Initiate (140) Jun 20, 2013 Australia
    Trader

I went there in Saturday and grabbed a paddle (which is awesome value). The Chop is straight from the tank which I don't think is traditionally a NEIPA, however, at the brewery it was very cloudy. I have had it in the bottle before which was almost clear. Regardless, it was very tasty at the brewery.

19. spicelab

spicelab Defender (694) Nov 6, 2009 Australia

I had a similar reaction to the last batch.

Was tasting fantastic, but quite different to the beer I remember. Be interested to know what's been changed.

Narkee likes this.
  20. pkasten

pkasten Initiate (158) Jun 17, 2005 Australia

While it's true we are paying an amazing-to-me price for anything 'special' here, and beer in general, most releases back in Portland, OR that I would make any effort to track down would run in the $15-25 range for a 650-750ml bottle, and well up from there for certain things, sometimes in that range for 500ml releases. Factor in exchange and that AUD35+ bottle from Boatrocker or La Sirene starts to feel more reasonable given the general state of things. Still, $12-18 pints of passable, cleanly made IPA are up there. $4-6 for their equivalent or better most places in the US.

spicelab likes this.
  21. BCurious

I would definitely go back for the Chop. Highly quaffable. Disappointed in the Kalash imperial stout I tried, though. Thin, lots of alcohol heat, very vinous. Barrel ageing had not done it any favours.

22. Narkee

Narkee Initiate (140) Jun 20, 2013 Australia
    Trader

Agree on the Kalash. Really thin for a barrel aged beer. I have found this a bit with wine barrel aged stouts. Mornington's Pumping Station was the same. I don't think it imparts flavours that go very well with stouts.

23. sinkas

Trader

Had the Mornington Impt tstout on tap at DTC,
    and it seemed really good,
    even bought a few fill can casof it,
    Had the Bootleg / grain cru barrel aged Barleywine,
    that was disgusting, that brewery needs a overhaul so badly

danieelol likes this.
  24. Benjo87

Had a nice Aussie Porter last night. Quiet Deeds - Vanilla porter 6.2%. Followed it up with Two birds - oatmeal stout which was wasn't very good.

25. Twinathon

Twinathon Initiate (40) May 1, 2013 Australia

I did not enjoy it either. I got none of the base imperial stout. Was all a mix of the barrels in an unpleasant way.

Fresh Rodenbach cans, sublime.

Narkee likes this.
  26. BCurious

Thanks @Benjo87 ! One to add to my list of potential imp stout alternatives.

27. Benjo87

Hop Nation - Jedi Juice

Really good aussie NEIPA. Juicy as.

28. BCurious

Over two nights drank Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout and Nail Oatmeal Stout. Wanted to test theory that they might substitute - at a pinch - for an imperial stout. Verdict: as stouts, both equally virtuous. Subtle aroma, roasty malt with lingering bitterness. Slick mouthfeel from the oats.
    But lack viscosity, intense aroma, warmth and sweetness to substitute for an IS.
    The search continues.

29. Benjo87

Try Batch - Elsie milk stout, and Elsies other udder. Absolutely huge mouthfeels. Milkshake thick.

BCurious likes this.
  30. BCurious

I will! I went out and bought one when you recommended it the other day. I wonder if the mouthfeel alone will compensate for the low ABV warmth... I will report.

I've got another question. (Sorry, I feel like the forum 3-year-old: all questions.) I'm doing a trip to Portland and Chicago in Nov and I want to bring back as many whales as I can. Has anyone any advice? I mean for bringing alcohol into Oz.

31. Kegjez

Kegjez Initiate (18) Mar 18, 2015 Australia
    Trader

Not much to say, just pack it well & declare it. They'll either let you through or charge you next to nothing in duty :slight_smile:

32. BCurious

Thanks @Kegjez. You hear different things. But I will try for 12 x 375ml bottles at a min (4.5L).

33. sinkas

Trader

most people here have had good experiences,
    I have printed out a speadsheet in the past with all the volumes and abv,
    and basically the feed back is, that unless it looks like your are just muleing cheap booze back to OZ, they will wave you through

BCurious likes this.
  34. BCurious

That is just what I wanted to hear. (I mean, we're talking a few litres of quality craft beer here, not heroin!) Thanks @sinkas

35. BCurious

My notes:
    "Sweet with just the right supporting bitterness. Awesome mocha coloured head. Firm and creamy, as you'd expect from a milk stout. Moderate stout bitterness gives way to a mild chocolate malt base. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Very more-ish and sessionable. IS index: No warmth or intense aroma, but has the same "I'll have another" quality as an IS."

36. smithflipper

Have you tried an Oyster Stout before? Sailors Grave "Law of the Tongue" is out at the moment, certainly has a big full body, hint of smoke and nice minerality (is that a word?)

BCurious likes this.
  37. Ostpies

Ostpies Initiate (82) Nov 3, 2015 New Zealand (Aotearoa)

[​IMG]

This is a full on one for all you RIS fans. It's all flavour. Had to go to sleep afterwards, just as well it was the evening when I cracked it open.

One that's about a quarter of the ABV but not a quarter of the flavour is Garage Project's Cereal Milk Stout. Have a look out for that one over in AUS.

BCurious likes this.
  38. BCurious

@smithflipper, got one in the fridge as it happens. Looking forward. Thanks too for tip, @Ostpies.

Ostpies and smithflipper like this.
  39. sinkas

Trader

sailor grave breakfast stout,
    really quite nice,
    I don't like coffee in stouts much but that was good
    SN worldwide beercamp box , overall ok,
    the ipas were still tasting nice,
    the bruery beer was awful, tbh I tipped a few of them,
    dainton IPA, canned, really nice, no faults like most east coast ipas
    bought it as Cheeky monkey IPA seems to be OOS everywhere
    Mountain Goat barrel bred on tap at Clancys fremantle, really nice and canimal for $30
    also clancys/eagle bay collab coffee porter, ok, but basically skulled it
    Whitelakes Black lager on tap there too, bloody delish

40. Benjo87

Had Founders Lizard of Koz on tap the other day. Blueberry bourbon barrel stout. Sensational.