What's wetting the whistle P.4

Discussion in 'Australia / Oceania' started by Gasc0igne, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Gasc0igne

Gasc0igne Disciple (381) Oct 6, 2013 Australia
    Trader

Just had one, seems the ones in distro were canned at start of June. Was definitely enjoyable, though it doesn't hold up as well as SoS or Zombie Dust.

Super crushable, low bitterness, nice tangerine and kiwi with a really tasty sweet malt backbone. Excellent mouth feel too. But all pretty muted.

If we could get this at like ~6 weeks I'd be very happy.

Anyone have a local suggestion for a really solid local Pale Ale or <8% IPA? Not really interested in pine/resin forward, much prefer citrus/tropical dominant (any bitterness). Hop Nation was a decent reccy before.

2. Narkee

Narkee Initiate (107) Jun 20, 2013 Australia
    Trader

Fresh Fixation always works for me. The Squish is great for something more fruit forward.

Gasc0igne likes this.
  3. Ostpies

Ostpies Initiate (82) Nov 3, 2015 New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Garage Project are doing a monthly Fresh IPA at the moment. The first three months have all been really good.

4. RichardLeahy

RichardLeahy Aspirant (210) Sep 15, 2018 Australia

I am perhaps more a traditionalist than many on this forum, but drink a mix of craft/traditional. The only real division with beer is - good beer/bad beer, and I've not had too many of the latter. Some recent beers - Pauvel Kwak, Lord Nelson Dark Ale, O'Hara's Irish Stout, Old Milwaukee, Belhaven Scottish Ale, Pikes Pilsener, Carlsberg Elephant Beer.

5. hawthorne00

hawthorne00 Initiate (87) Nov 23, 2010 Australia

A roughly equal mix of Feral WarHog, Thornbridge Jaipur (now also in cans) and Sierra Nevada Resilience Butte County Proud IPA. Complexity in a bucket.

Various other things too, obviously. Still drinking the Oud Beersel Faro bag-in-box lambic opened 3 weeks ago. It really keeps fine and has now cleared - next time I will keep it still a week after opening it before pouring. Really liked Mountain Goat's Hello Humanoid - tasty, hoppy and witty.

6. Ostpies

Ostpies Initiate (82) Nov 3, 2015 New Zealand (Aotearoa)

It's hazy fever here in NZ, almost every brewery putting out an acceptable to pretty good hazy IPA. Problem is as they are near-identical, there is really no reason for so many.

7. Gasc0igne

Trader

It appears some of my stock of 2011 Golden Blend are basically turning to Golden Doesjel, pretty disappointing :9

..and on a lighter note - how is everybody doing?

8. Narkee

Trader

Good mate, how are you?

I'm booked in to GBW again this year so looking forward to that. Also did well with the latest Cantillon drop so it's been a good few months on the beer front.

New brewpub in Margaret River called Wild Hop. Incredible set up. Beers are really clean but not overly complex or have huge depth of flavour. Nothing wrong with that though. Really approachable beers.

I noticed that one of their upcoming tap beers is a BA Imperial Stout. Was hoping it would come online when I was there.

Gasc0igne likes this.
  9. Narkee

Trader

Had a 2015 Girardin OG and 2015 Cantillon Gueuze side-by-side last night.

Never hard Girardin before but I now understand why people rate this beer so highly. As soon as it started to be poured a wall of aroma hit me with a heap of funkiness, damp hay, subtle lemon and a good hit of oak. Palate was complex with deep funk, light acidity and lemon, plenty of oak. Flavours were intense but delicate if that makes sense. Stunning beer!

The Cantillon was similar to the Girardin but pared back a bit. More lemon in the aroma. Palate was more acidic, light oak and more lemon. It was less complex but still delicious.

Gasc0igne likes this.
  10. Gasc0igne

Trader

Good to hear you're doing well mate. It's always so strange coming back to these forums and the "craft beer" (is it even called that anymore? haha) arena. What did we see for the Loon arrivals this go 'round? If I recall correctly it was pretty depressing for quite a while, self-importing was just so much better heh.

Always love seeing someone experience the magic of a classic Girardin 1882 Black Label (I'm assuming it was black label); I always, even now, make sure I have a few standard 3F OGs, Girardin Blacks, and Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille stocked somewhere deep in the house haha. Good too hear there's still activity (I mean, of course there is, but you know what I mean).