Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

What's With Hop-Heavy Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheGoldsmith, Feb 20, 2013.

1. TheGoldsmith

Maybe I'm alone here but I get a bit offended when there's a predominance of hops in my stouts (or porters). Don't get me wrong I love a good hoppy beer, I cut my craft beer teeth on IPAs, but what I love in a stout in the dark, toasty coffee/chocolate notes, that dark fruit sweetness, the robustness. Am I right in feeling this is a miss for the style, or is this just a different variant? Are there those who seek out hoppy stouts?

I can't recall any stand out hoppy stouts at the moment, but I was recently revisited by this issue trying Stone's Smoked Porter (who'd expect a hoppy beer from Stone right?). I just feel like if my dark beers are bitter, it should come from the roast!

2. RPH2327

Victory Storm King is a great, "hoppy" stout. If you don't like the hops, put some bottles away for a year or two.

3. Manoftyr

I largely concur with this, if I'm looking for hops I'll grab an IPA, when I crack open a stout or a porter I expect roast, coffee/chocolate etc.

A few stouts pull it off, Sixpoint's Diesel comes to mind, but by in large I find that an abundance of hops in a stout or porter just get in the way of what the style is supposed to deliver.

4. RonfromJersey

Love hoppy stouts...and love ones that aren't so hoppy. Embrace the variations.

5. MetalMountainMastiff

Beer Trader

Stouts often have Higher then usual IBUs that are balanced out with Malt. It's the balance that makes you not notice the hoppiness.

jimmy666 likes this.
  6. DarkDragon999

I'm not offended but I prefer a stout thats less hop-heavy.

7. SourAddict

Beer Trader

Feel the same way. I had a night stalker and had to drain pour it. Thought it was infected at first. But now after trying a founders imperial stout I think I just don't like the style. I wanted to like the FIS, having loved all other founders offerings i've had. But had to choke it down. I think hop taste in stouts isn't for me either

8. loafinaround

well, I'm hardly at the level of having to choke down a founders RIS.. but I will concur that hops can be a bit difficult in some stouts. Somehow, to me, hoppiness is best in a less dense beer. The most difficult beers for me to consume (other than sours) are really heavy stouts w/ a hoppy flavor.

9. Brew33

Beer Trader

Generally I agree with the OP. That being said, fresh Nightstalker was awesome.

10. IamMe90

Stone Smoked Porter? Seriously? As far as I can remember it tasted like delicious sweet and smoky barbeque.

BigBarley likes this.
  11. kzoobrew

I think there are too many great beers out there, too many beers out there to suit each individuals tastes, to get caught up worrying about beers that one does not like. Is it really work the energy?

Hops definitely have their place in stouts. The citrus flavor can play off the chocolaty malt beautifully. The added bitterness can accentuate the roasted malt creating dark chocolate and coffee flavors. Founders IS, Expedition Stout, Bear Republic Big Bear and a couple of hop forwards stand outs right off the top of my head.

12. Ri0

Ri0
    Beer Trader

I like smooth, robust and roasty stouts with minimal hoppiness as well.

docnose and beercanman like this.
  13. IamMe90

Also, did you let the FIS warm to room temp while drinking it? I thought the bitterness was kind of abrasive at first but as it warmed the roasty, chocolatey goodness really ramped up and balanced out the hops incredibly well.

Cee-Poe and docnose like this.
  14. ffenski

I used to feel the same way. But a lot of stouts started to taste very similar- coffee, chocolate, roasted malts. Victory Storm King really changed that for me, throwing a little wrench into it all. I don't dislike the traditional stout flavors, but variety is good every now and then.

jgluck likes this.
  15. Ivegotmule

Also didn't find any hop profile to speak of in Stone Smoked Porter. The two beers mainly at debate, FIS and Night Stalker are two of my favorite stouts... So I guess I really like hoppy stouts.

16. 05Harley

Expedition Stout gets my tastebuds yearning, mmh...

Bluecane and kirkse like this.
  17. bulletrain76

Hoppy stouts and porters are awesome. I wish more brewers would go for the whole package instead of neutering the malt character in an attempt to make a black IPA.

18. kzoobrew

Conversely, I wish brewers would back off the roast flavor when trying to brew Black IPAs while ultimately brewing something that just turns out as an attempt at a hoppy stout or porter.

hoplover888 likes this.
  19. jhartley

Beer Trader

It's nice to have a little variety and exploration once in a while. IMO

20. AmitC

There should be more of these hoppy beers. I really loved FIS and Storm King. Variety is good after all.

ESeab likes this.
  21. fullmetal1381

Thank goodness, I thought it was just me.

I certainly agree with you; I believe that stouts should be malt-forward instead of hop-forward, otherwise it is just a thick black IPA. A fair amount of bitterness is ok and to be expected but I feel that it should come from the roast malts and coffee (if applicable). It is for this reason that I like Heavy Seas Peg Leg despite the low rating it gets on here. Kzoo is right in stating that certain stouts with an inspired hop choice can have a pleasant citrus quality, but I myself have only had one, the name of which I forget (tasted like one of those Chocolate Oranges).

22. DaKur

It gets the hop heads like me off the IPAs for a change. They got me to explore more stouts and other styles.

23. Handle

Because how in the world would a brewery market a plain ol' stout in a world of Imperial Pilsners and Black, White and Red IPAs?

24. bulletrain76

If you're going to do it, do it--that's my take, and it goes for black IPA as well like you say. But the reality is that something that is still more of a hoppy porter is going to sell better these days if "IPA" is on the label.

hoplover888 likes this.
  25. fujindemon74

I love fresh Yeti and D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer.
    They are my frame of reference for "hoppy" imperial stouts.
    I rather enjoy the snot out of them.

26. jmgrub

Offended? No. Hate the shit out of them? Yes.

hoplover888 and StuartCarter like this.
  27. seplo

Beer Trader

I love all variations of stouts but I prefer the hoppy ones, one of my favorites that rarely gets mentioned is Smuttynose Imperial Stout....CHEERS

28. Northlax3

Beer Trader

I like hoppy stouts because you get everything you may crave in a beer.

Maltiness, hoppieness, roastiness, yummyness?

edit: and they also make AMAZING black and tans with IPAs

29. victory4me

Personally I like hoppy stouts for aging purposes. A stout not as hoppy will typically become too sweet over time, while a hoppier version will really round out, become more balanced, and much more complex.

Offended? Did the beer perform a hate-crime on you?

hoplover888 likes this.
  30. tdmccarthy

Some of my absolute favorite beers are hoppy stouts including Founders Imperial Stout, Goose Island Nightstalker and Victory Storm King. I think they're all tremendous.

ESeab and JuniperJesus like this.
  31. GameFreac

Beer Trader

In general, I hate hoppy stouts and porters.

Except Jose Marti.

32. reverseapachemaster

Not my thing really but it's the American-style approach to stouts and porters.

33. fatsnowman22

Subscriber Beer Trader

Hops are wonderful flavor gods. Drink the level of hops you like no matter the style. If you think its to much drink something else

hoplover888 likes this.
  34. ilikebeer03

Hops and Barrel aged beers are the popular thing right now in the craft beer scene (not that that is a bad thing).

35. Jadjunk

For me, hoppy stouts are admittedly unexpected, but always a welcome twist. I always appreciate a style that can constantly push its boundaries, and hoppy stouts really show how much we can diversify. Who knows? Maybe we're witnessing the birth of a new style of beer that brings the best of both worlds together!

I always get SweetWater's Happy Ending each winter, quite hoppy flavored but always crazy good!

36. reverseapachemaster

To take OP's question further: at what point should a hoppy porter or stout be classified as a black IPA? There are black IPAs that are a regular IPA plus color but the majority coming out are far closer to a hoppy porter or stout than a standard west coast IPA. Admittedly I think black IPAs tend to have less body than a porter or stout and that is the very fine distinction between styles but that is certainly not always the case.

TheGoldsmith and hoplover888 like this.
  37. OMsweetOM

They're delicious imo, that's what's up.

As stated earlier, it's all about balance.
    I have to wonder what IBU count you consider to be too much for a stout. My favorite is The Abyss (65 IBUs).

38. patto1ro

Subscriber

Stouts are Beers, they're supposed to be heavily hopped.

RonfromJersey likes this.
  39. TNGabe

From the BJCP description of American Stout:

40. beercanman

Storm king comes to mind. I am not a fan of hop forward Stouts. I prefer the bitter chocolate, coffee bomb Stouts.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe