Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

What's With Hop-Heavy Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheGoldsmith, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mychalg9

mychalg9 Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I do not generally like hoppy stouts, do not like Storm King at all. Someone left a few bottles at my place so I am letting them sit for a while before I try them to see if they improve.

2. HopCraverDave

HopCraverDave Feb 20, 2013 Ohio

I just added a whole lot of beers to my list to try thanks to this thread!!

docnose likes this.
  3. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/i-cant-put-that-many-hops-in.html
    I quote from the above;
    "That's Russian Stout to you and me. When I gave Menno the recipe for the 1850 version, his response was "I can't put that many hops in." He calculated the IBU's at something over 250. Just as well I hadn't used the 1855 version. That had even more hops. A full 10.12 pounds per 36 gallon barrel. The 1850 recipe only had 9.31 pounds."

TheGoldsmith and TNGabe like this.
  4. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Sep 2, 2009 California

Hop heavy stouts simply beg to be aged. While I typically prefer roasty, dry stouts, I can occasionally get behind sweeter variants.

Disclaimer: I love Black Ales/CDA so hoppy stouts are one of my favorite variations of the style.

5. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Jan 20, 2013 Missouri

Great anecdote, exactly the sort of thing I am curious about!

6. yamar68

yamar68 Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Right? And what's with airplane food?

7. docnose

docnose Feb 7, 2013 Alabama

Back Forty's "Kudzu Porter" is *really* hoppy IMO. Seems perfectly good - other than being too hoppy.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21868/69831

8. docnose

docnose Feb 7, 2013 Alabama

I've found that usually the thicker and darker it is the more I like to let it warm up before drinking it. I may just prefer cellar temperature beer overall!

IamMe90 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe