What's your barrel preference for aged Stouts?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JFresh21, Jan 7, 2022.

?

What's your barrel preference?

1. Bourbon

83.7%
  2. Brandy

3.3%
  3. Rum

4.1%
  4. Tequila

1.6%
  5. Wine

2.4%
  6. Scotch

4.9%
  1. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,514) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Apple Brandy used correctly is utterly phenomenal. Another barrel I wish saw more use in beer aging.

sulldaddy, IKR, BigIronH and 3 others like this.
  2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,963) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Utopias barrels are a thing, but not really available. It would be interesting to see what others could do with them. Just thinking of having a UBA Stout...

BigIronH, Peach63 and Whyteboar like this.
  3. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Devotee (436) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

Did a side by side tasting of World Wide Stout, Utopias WWS, and BBA WWS. My friend and I both agreed that Utopias was the best.
    I wish that there were more wood aged beers. Probably because of Ballantine IPA 40 years ago. I remember using toasted oak chips in my early homebrewed IPA because that was the recipe.

o29, BigIronH, Rug and 3 others like this.
  4. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,149) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

I wasn't thinking of trying that beer, but the tap room manager brought a taster to me and said "you've got to try this Apple Brandy barrel aged stout!" I took a sip and was like Wow! That's impressive!

5. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,514) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Local brewery did a barleywine in rye and apple brandy. I thought the latter was utterly phenomenal, although I enjoyed the former. Turns out the former made the top 10 on the weekly releases for Untappd. Until that time, I always wrote off apple brandy, especially after Prairie's mis-hap.

Here's to hoping 2022 brings us both more rye and apple brandy aged beers.

sulldaddy, BigIronH, ATL6245 and 2 others like this.
  6. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,402) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Bourbon for me and it’s not even close.

Although I will say that red wine barrels seems to be underutilized and could hve potential. I remember in the early days of Westbrook’s barrel program (and this was before every brewery on the planet had barrel aged offerings) they had a few absolute gems that came from red wine barrel aging. That first batch of Red Wine BA Mexican Cake (circa 2014 I think, maybe 2013) was just divine. I do feel like red wine barrel aging probably works harmoniously with a lower range of recipes and adjuncts though. Seems like bourbon characters kinda blanket work across the board, at least when it comes to imperial stouts.

Also, not to go on a tangent here, but it needs to be said. Bourbon Barrel Aged Cabernet Sauvignons are an abomination to wine, and to bourbon. I’m not much of an agenda or even a “cares about issues” guy, but I can only take so much. Let’s take a stand here people and all agree to stop buying those so that their ever expanding shelf space invasion can stop.

Ok wine rant over, back to the beer discussion. Carry on folks.

JFresh21, BigIronH and Whyteboar like this.
  7. Kman_Colorado

Kman_Colorado Disciple (341) Aug 17, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Well there is peanut butter whiskey like Screwball that is (was?) popular.

8. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,402) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Speaking of abominations….

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,544) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, when I started getting back into distilled beverages a year or so ago, I was especially shocked at the flavored Bourbons. WTF?
    Is Nothing Sacred?

10. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,372) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

You know, there's 'beer that was kept in a barrel that once housed 'X' in it' and then there's 'beer that was kept in a barrel that still has 4 fingers of 'X' in it' ('cause it's really the same thing, right? Read: Sarcasm, no, it's not the same thing).

Honestly, I like the notes of the barrel itself, not so much the juice that used to come in it.

sulldaddy and BigIronH like this.
  11. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,231) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Have you had the port cask version of JW Lees? Fantastic stuff

GuyFawkes, BigIronH and SFACRKnight like this.
  12. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,231) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Honestly that Utopias WWS was better than I expected. A nice happy medium between the two beers. Quite drinkable

BigIronH likes this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

No. I haven't seen jw on shelves in a while

BigIronH and Rug like this.
  14. elliot23

elliot23 Initiate (103) Jan 27, 2009 Maryland
    Trader

I do enjoy when a maple bourbon barrel gets blended in to the final beer.

15. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,935) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

“Is”, and my opinion is that it’s killer. A half shot of that with a half shot of Howlers Head banana bourbon in my split shot glass gets you an “Elvis”. Quite enjoyable as far as I’m concerned.

Rug likes this.
  16. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (3,023) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Good news.

I have two bottles set aside to mellow. One I gave to a friend, one to be cracked open as a baseline soon. My last “fresh” WWS was too hot for me, and age definitely took the edge off.

Rug likes this.
  17. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,677) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

This. Brewers go easy on the barrel!

I’ve had beers aged in all sorts of barrels and I believe the reason I most often rate/review a barrel aged beer poorly is that there was too much barrel and not enough beer flavor.

And for this reason I tend to shy away from barrel aged beers because aging adds cost to the beer and quite often detracts from the taste of the underlying base beer.

I don’t want to spend a lot of money for a beer that I often won’t like.

PapaGoose03 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  18. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,516) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I doubt they still make it, but 21st Amendment had a DIPA called Hop Crisis that was a pale, citrusy DIPA aged on white oak spirals for vanilla notes, and it was fantastic.

Rug and nomisugitai like this.
  19. SiepJones

SiepJones Defender (616) Nov 20, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I feel like Bourbon (or Rye for that matter) melds really well with beer. I also really enjoy Port barrel aged beers. Bourbon is not my spirit of choice (I can take it or leave it) and actually prefer to drink Scotch or Rum when not having a beer. But I generally do not like the way Scotch or Rum barreling works with beer. So make sense of that.

I went for a tour there and saw that as well. I feel like it was either 2014 or 2015. I think it was Odyssey and they were calling it “Iliad”. I don’t think it was ever released. Not 100% sure on all but that’s as much as I can recall.

Rug and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,997) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

The best BA beers I’ve enjoyed have been in apple brandy/Calvados barrels. But, I like bourbon, rye, and rum as well.

I haven’t yet found a a tequila BA beer I’ve really liked. I dislike tequila though, so…

Rug, sulldaddy and PapaGoose03 like this.
  21. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,051) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I looked back and see I was at Allagash summer of 2013. I have photos someplace of the barrels. Let me look in the next few days.

Enjoy

22. SiepJones

SiepJones Defender (616) Nov 20, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I just looked back and it was 1000% 2013. September 2013 to be more precise.