What's your Beer Strategy?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcaulifww, Jan 14, 2013.

1. dennis3951

dennis3951 Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I like to go to stores and look for out of date stock and whine about it to a clerks who dosen't care. Than i post about it on BA.

5thOhio and zach60614 like this.
  2. thegoon55

thegoon55 Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

My strategy is.. Pay rent.. Buy ramen noodles and pasta for the week...go spend way too much money on beer.

reyes29201 likes this.
  3. chcfan

chcfan Oct 29, 2008 California

I like the wording "I'd like to" as opposed to "I'm going to" because you aren't.

mcaulifww likes this.
  4. mychalg9

mychalg9 Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

My strategy is try everything once and only buy what I like after that.

FEUO likes this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

For 18 bucks you could have bought two sixers of some average beer you can get every day. I'm sure spending 18 bucks doesn't leave you broke, so forget about and just enjoy it, most here will never see that bottle on the shelf.

6. Andygirl

Andygirl Jan 3, 2013 Michigan

My strategy is to try everything, buy enough to share, and to exercise enough not to gain weight from actually drinking the beer.

7. lucasj82

lucasj82 Aug 13, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

My strategy usually consist on going to the stores I frenquent and grabbing about 40-50 dollars worth of beer. What I buy depends on what they have. Its kind of a simple strategy.

8. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Aug 18, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Drink mostly homebrew and then obtain as much Hill Farmstead, Tired Hands, Upright, and Logsdon as possible. Other than that, do my best to keep a very healthy stockpile of Drie Fonteinen, Cantillon, De Cam, Tilquin, and Girardin.

ehammond1 likes this.
  9. 5thOhio

5thOhio May 13, 2007 South Carolina

My strategy? Why, thanks for asking.

A. Buy my favorites fairly often;
    2. Try new beers now and then;
    C. Splurge once in a while;
    IV. Skip any wildly expensive beers. (I'm a simple guy with a simple palate and probably wouldn't appreciate the depth, complexity and oh so subtle nuances of pricey beers. And besides, there's just waaay too many good beers out there at decent prices to overspend on costly beers);
    5. Stick with the reinheitsgebot philosophy and consume beers the way St. Gambrinus intended: hops, water, malt & yeast. No fruits, veggies, spices, or other flavors meant for the dinner table.

10. StaEva

StaEva Apr 21, 2011 Pennsylvania

beer is beer, right? as long as it contains ethanol and doesn't contain botulism and gets you real good and funny drunk, who cares if it tastes like your basement smells...

11. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

My plan is to drink down my collection and home brew more.

12. GardenWaters

GardenWaters Jan 8, 2012 Illinois

Old Rasputin. Always solid, affordable, and down-right delicious! Sure, there are some better RIS's out there, but for what it is, Old Raspy always delivers.

keithmurray likes this.
  13. frazbri

frazbri Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

Your A & B methods are how I started exploring beer in the pre-BA days. It works.

Eastside151 likes this.
  14. klaybie

klaybie Nov 15, 2009 Illinois

My strategy of late has been:
    Do they have Alesmith?--Yes, buy Alesmith until my wallet can't take it.
    |
    |
    No---Do they have Lagunitas Sucks? Yes--Purchase it!
    |
    |
    No--Purchase Founders or Sierra Nevada---Leave store happy.

15. MikeWard

MikeWard Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

Nearest good bottle shop is 35 miles away, so make a run once a month.
    Since they give 20% off on mixed 6 packs, get roughly the equivalent of 2 cases, usually around 130 bucks
    Get mostly first time beers in styles I like that are rated above average (3.6) on BA
    Using this method, have accumulated a "go-to" list of 40+ beers, some of which I'll pick up if I have a hankering for them.
    Rarely get 6-pack of same beer, unless I really want it. Currrently looking at you FIS and Nugget Nectar.
    Make a few trips to relatively nearby brewpubs. Always bring back growlers.
    Go home, enjoy beer, and watch wife's lips get thinner.

16. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Apr 20, 2012 Missouri

:Bows before thee:

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!