What's your Favorite Coconut Stout?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nolinenowait, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,607) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

These days, or any days. As has already been pointed out, stouts are porters. Stout is shortened form of Stout Porter IIRC.

2. VDubDJ

VDubDJ Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2011 Arizona

3. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (346) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Another vote for Prop 13 by quite a bit actually.

SeanBond likes this.
  4. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,533) May 7, 2015 Florida

Hands down, Last Snow is the best!!

5. malfunxion

malfunxion Savant (937) Dec 14, 2012 New York
    Trader

Big fan of Hodad and Death by Coconut , but just recently having that hawaiian speedway in my brain I loved that so much I think I'm Voting for Hawaiian Speedway!

6. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (7,226) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Trader

Nooner 10 and Hawaiian Speedway for sure. Last Snow, as well.

7. Bolivian_brewer

Bolivian_brewer Initiate (31) Jan 8, 2016 Texas

Another mention to Death by Coconut. After much hearsay, I had it yesterday for the first time and it surprised me how smooth it is.

chrismann65 likes this.
  8. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,064) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yup, Prop '13 for me, for sure. '14 being a close second (if you got one of the bottles with lots of coconut flavor, as opposed to 200% cinnamon).

For what it's worth, I think Death by Coconut is also a really good choice (stout/porter/whatever). Not quite as thick or sweet as I'd like, but fantastic coconut flavor.

9. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,485) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

I've missed some of the big-time whales with coconut (Prop, Snowed In), but I love it in beer when done well. Sometimes, that even includes non-stouts/porters.

Great:
    Death By Coconut - had this out of the stovepipe, was unimpressed. Gave it another shot with the 12 oz cans and suddenly understood why people had raved about it. A great balance of coconut flavor with a nice creaminess. Not too sweet and the coconut tastes natural

Last Snow - probably my favorite coconut beer, I love that it smells like a mounds bar--I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the smell of Last Snow and a Mounds bar mocha latte. But you start drinking it and it's not the cloyingly sweet beer that the aroma hints that it might be. And the smell is so intense that it really carries the entire beer. My only complaint is that it's a little thin in the mouthfeel, but I suppose that's to be expected from a 6.5% abv beer.

Good:
    No Rules - I must admit that I love this one in small doses. But it's so sweet that the coconut gets a little lost for me and it becomes monotonous over an entire bottle. Yeah, I know, that's what I get for taking a 15% beer to the face, but it is what it is. I've talked to multiple people who said their bottles weren't really sweet at all, so I wonder if there was some batch variation going on.

Hawaiian Speedway - honestly, my feelings for this wouldn't be as positive if I was factoring in disappointment/expectations, because I had super high hopes for this beer. But that's not entirely fair. As it stood, it was like so many coconut beers that you want to be a crazy coconut bomb (a la Last Snow) but that leave you searching for the coconut and not really getting it. This was like that--I could tell that the coconut had imparted some character to the base beer, but it was more like I was drinking a regular SS while sitting next to someone who was chopping up a fresh coconut. The base beer was the predominant character

White Mountain Porter - from Big Island Brewhaus, which is headed up by former Maui Brewing head brewer Thomas Kerns. Supposedly this is Big Island's take on the Maui CoCoNuT Porter, and I thought it was much more "coconutty" than I remembered Maui's version being. This was the big beer surprise of my trip to O'ahu. Wish I'd brought a few bombers back to the mainland...

The Rest:
    Westbrook 4th Anniversary - not much coconut to this one, but I did get a nice, if subtle, almond/amaretto flavor
    Maui Coconut Porter - pretty much no coconut the one time I had this beer. I haven't been back.
    Black House w/ Toasted Coconut and Cacao Nibs - another disappointment--similar to Hawaiian since you could tell it was different from the base beer, but not really in a way that screamed COCONUT
    Fantastic Voyage - coconut milk imparted some creaminess to the mouthfeel, but really no overt coconut flavor
    Indra Kunindra - yeah, this one has coconut, but you wouldn't know it without reading the label since it's a kitchen sink of ingredients. First time I had it, it was a deliciously weird curry stout. The second time it was a cumin bomb.
    Kona Koko Brown* - I actually get a nice bit of coconut out of this one at the right temp, but it's a brown ale, so it's a little different
    Lips of Faith Coconut Curry Hefeweizen* - another weird one, but had a pretty significant coconut flavor, but a little overpowering. Perhaps because the base beer couldn't stand up to the coconut quite as well...

*not a stout/porter

What format did you have it in? I ask because...

...the first time I had it was out of the stovepipe and I wasn't impressed at all. The 12 oz cans they released nationwide this time around are light years better. A ton more coconut flavor, but keep in mind it's not like the crazy candy bar coconut beers like Prop and No Rules.

If either of you come across a 12 oz can or two, I'd strongly recommend giving it another shot.

10. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Poo-Bah (2,482) Feb 26, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Prop '13. Set the standard for coconut stouts.

chrismann65 likes this.
  11. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

FIDDLEHEAD - HODAD hands down the best cocunut porter/stout

my other favorite has to be a Limtied release
    Modern Times - Black House w/ coconut and cacao nibs

BltByKrmn and cavedave like this.
  12. SteveSexton203

they started to use stout because the decline in Popularity of Porters, basically remarketing the beer (in short). But nowadays that dont matter as much.

13. NCMonte

NCMonte Aspirant (239) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Stouts, Death by Coconut...

Browns, Burial Brewing's, " Bolo ". (Hard to taste a difference between the Bolo and the Death by Coconut, meaning they have a similar taste to me)

Winter Warmer, Highland Brewing's, "Cold Mountain infused with Coconut" at the release party last two years.

14. Rollinghops513

Rollinghops513 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Ohio

Alesmith Hawiian Speedway

15. Dpell1987

Dpell1987 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2011 Maine

[​IMG]
    This stuff right here :grinning:

chrismann65 and SteveSexton203 like this.
  16. SteveSexton203

that stuff is such an easy drinker.

Dpell1987 likes this.
  17. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,070) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

My favorite coconut stout is The Patsy, a rye stout with coconut from Barley Forge Brewing in Costa Mesa, CA.

[​IMG]

18. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (3,322) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

It's not a "stout", but definitely Coconut Victory At Sea.. had it on-tap a few weeks ago and was blown away..

chrismann65 likes this.
  19. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (515) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I had this exact experience. I had it in stovepipe and thought it was pretty muted. I told @vitaminvert and he said "here have this 12oz can just to try it". I went in with low expectations but I was struck with how delicious it was, loads of coconut and some nice chocolate notes, good sweetness without being cloying. I was thoroughly impressed, and I did a 180 on it after that.
    As a side note, the 12oz cans are less than 1/2 the price that the stovepipes were costing, per ounce.

Mista_Carta and LambicPentameter like this.
  20. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Devotee (430) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

Came here to say the same thing

the_scariest_kari likes this.
  21. KevinBrink

KevinBrink Initiate (39) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Never had them side by side but if I had to go by my memory I would say Fiddlehead Hodad, then Maui, then Oskar DBC then Shmaltz/Terrapin Reunion '14 though I like them all.

22. StevePalmer

StevePalmer Initiate (163) Jan 1, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Thanks for the heads up man! I have a few 12oz cans in my fridge, I haven't tried them b/c the stovepipe ended up being a drain pour. I will give it a shot, glad to hear that I might be surprised with this!

23. Dravin

Dravin Aspirant (217) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

I've only had one. Scarlet Lane Dorian Stout with Coconut.

24. loafinaround

loafinaround Aspirant (200) Jul 16, 2011 New York

Maui is too weak. Death by coconut, I had high hopes for, but it fell short IMO.
    So far the best I've had is hawaiian speedway

25. AOTP

AOTP Initiate (126) Aug 14, 2014 New York
    Trader

Weird, a couple of people and I just opened this a week ago, and no one got any coconut.

I'd have to go with fresh Coconut Barrel Aged Framminghammer by Jack's Abby. And for the price and availability, you can't go wrong.

26. Klebe

Klebe Initiate (0) May 16, 2012 Maryland

OB's Death By Coconut. This is mainly cause it's the only one I have tried. Also, it is quite tasty. Enough so that I would consider trying more in the series, should I encounter it in any future travels.

chrismann65 likes this.
  27. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Zealot (599) Jan 16, 2013 New York

It was old, the coconut is very strong when fresh but fades pretty quickly.

28. loafinaround

loafinaround Aspirant (200) Jul 16, 2011 New York

I had it on tap... maybe that's the difference?
    Actually, if coconut doesn't fare well when bottled/canned, that would explain my constant disappointment in coconut beers.

AOTP likes this.
  29. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Zealot (599) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Fiddlehead Hodad is definitely my favorite but Death by Coconut is very good as well. I love that DbC is so easy to find now as well.

30. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,539) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I agree 100% and not to be argumentative but I felt this had a thinnish body - much more like Porter than the viscosity of a stout. Anyhow I thought it to be good. Still have one left......

31. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (417) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

No one has mentioned Death by Coconut yet so, I'll start off with that :slight_smile:

cavedave and TargaFlorio like this.
  32. VDubDJ

VDubDJ Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2011 Arizona

what you did there... I see it

33. drewskalicious

drewskalicious Initiate (86) Jul 20, 2012 Georgia

Maui Black Pearl (essentially the imperial coconut porter aged in rum barrels).

I thought Death by Coconut was exactly that- way too much.

34. eLMsITYbUM

eLMsITYbUM Initiate (89) Oct 24, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

Death by Coconut and Norm are both great!

barroomhero1977 likes this.
  35. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

Yes - this was quite good. It was toasted coconut, which I think may have made it stand out more.

I hope we see this bottled or canned. They can replace that peppermint abomination with it.

NickyDee21 likes this.
  36. the_scariest_kari

the_scariest_kari Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2014 California

I would absolutely second The Patsy! maybe not the best i've ever had but certainly the first to come to mind.

37. Statonxyb

Statonxyb Initiate (140) Feb 17, 2015 Kentucky

I'll agree with the above, I'm quite a fan of the Patsy.

[​IMG]

chrismann65 likes this.
  38. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Disciple (378) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

BA Coconut Mexican Cake is by far the best one that I have had (3 separate times on tap). I'm still bummed that the bottles were dumped back into kegs last fall before the BA Cake release. At least it should still show up on tap every once in a while at Westbrook.

39. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

Prop 13 and Death by Coconut

40. chrismann65

chrismann65 Initiate (144) Jan 25, 2015 Texas

This is out of Dallas Tx. & Very nice toasted Coconut stout . Well done .... !! Rahr & Sons XI Anniversary Beer! Russian Imperial Stout with toasted Coconut......Good stuff.... !
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.