What's your Favorite Coconut Stout?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nolinenowait, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (318) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Fresh prop 13. And Last snow. I wasn't very impressed with death by coconut but I had a crowler not the 12oz can.

2. kingofcarrotflo

kingofcarrotflo Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Ontario (Canada)

Maui's Imperial Coconut Porter was absolutely divine. Had it on tap at the brewery and couldn't fault it. Much better than the non imperial version.

3. DeskLazer

DeskLazer Initiate (83) Jan 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

preface: I am always seeking beer with coconut. I've been disappointed more than pleased with what I've had, ymmv with what I state here, but this is a beloved riff for me and I've tracked down just about everything I can.

king(s) of the hill: prop 13 closely followed by no rules. prop 13 is head and shoulders above the rest, but no rules was certainly very good.

as far as the others (all were bottles/cans, no drafts)
    maui coconut - meh, too thin, not much coconut (mainly in nose).
    dbc - dunno why so many of you guys love this, I hardly tasted any coconut. kinda artificial like last snow listed below... [I've had both 12 oz and the stovepipe editions].
    wormtown norm - definitely had the toasted coconut flavor, but a roastiness/bitterness on the back end was a little overwhelming and took away from the rest of the beer.
    kitka coconut chocolate milk stout - a little too sweet, very thin, but goes amazing with chocolate. best of the 'session' coconut beers imo.
    prop 14 - more like a cinnamon beer with mild coconut, not as good as '13. still a great beer, but not a coconut lovers delight.
    monsters park w/ coconut (bourbon barrel) - huge disappointment, no coconut.
    last snow - yuck. artificial as hell. maybe snowed in is better, but if it's more of the same with this flavor, no thanks. all FB I've had so far tastes too artificial for me.
    hawaiian speedway - LOTS of coffee, very faint coconut in the background. I was told draft is much better though.
    mikerphone one man wrecking machine - very decent, underrated, and $10 a can. lots of coconut, but a little on the thin side (especially given the 9-10% abv). if this was thicker it'd be right up there with prop 13/no rules.
    westbrook 4th anniv - tasted like almonds, no coconut. I had this a month after bottling, and a second bottle 2 months after bottling. it was fine as a beer, just not as a coconut beer. huge disappointment. wonder if the BA version is any better...
    jack's abby cocoa-nut framinghammer - really tasty, some coconut, awesome with samoa girl scout cookies, but #notenoughcoconut for this guy.
    hunter coconut - BLECH. tasted like cardboard.
    bruery mash - it's not a coconut stout, but for a barleywine, I dunno if whatever barrels they used brought in coconut but I dug it a lot.
    voodoo coconut #boc - #notenoughcoconut. nice base beer though, it just tastes like a coffee stout with a coconut aroma, not much coconut flavor.
    pipeworks batata obscura (and the imperial version, I forget the name) - meh. the sweet potato overtakes any nuance of the coconut.
    ccb coco loco - coconut cream ale, tasted like a pina colada (in a bad way, imo). some of my friends loved it, I wasn't as into it.
    ballast point indra kunidra - more curry spices than coconut imo...
    voodoo coconut-infused blackbeard - the flakes were floating around in this one, but I also got the dregs of this beer and aside from the coconut, the base beer wasn't very good.
    white oak jai alai - I know I deviated from stouts here, but this had a good coconutty flavor, maybe from the white oak. wonder if some stout producers could try using this wood for their beers to get that elusive coconut flavor to come out...

as I said, if it has coconut I definitely seek it out. if there's something you think I missed on this list that you have FT, let me know, I'm happy to open up my cellar to try another coconut beer (especially an unsung hero).

4. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,537) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Agreed and I understand the history. I would only say that this leans towards the "porter" side of stouts since the the alcohol and body fit the bill. I think this particular beer fits the bill as an original Porter style IMHO. Seems nowadays also that the viscosity ( plus the alcohol) plays a major role in the what many people feel is the difference between the two styles- whether historically accurate or not. Also I'm not sure what an " Irish Porter " truly means except to associate it with the Guiness dry stout style - you can probably enlighten me on that.

5. GaToWyo

GaToWyo Aspirant (261) Feb 1, 2013 Tennessee

Death by Coconut and Cherry Street Chief Sawnee's Stash Coconut Porter. Koko Buni is an excellent porter but I got much more coffee than coconut.

6. TBonez477

TBonez477 Defender (623) Jan 15, 2015 Vermont
    Trader

I love coconut in my stouts and best I've had so far is Barley Forge's The Patsy. The rye compliments the coconut so well, and in a way that I never could have imagined. This one is really worth a try!

7. Mshea805

Mshea805 Initiate (197) Apr 12, 2014 California
    Trader

Local place has this right now Ill have to give it a try. Peanut Butter Victory at Sea didnt taste much different at all than the regular version so I havent been real into trying other variants.

8. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (3,319) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

The coconut variant is the only one I've had besides the original.. the aromas were subtle, but the flavors and everything else was awesome.. haven't seen the peanut butter variant, but I'd love to try it..

VABA likes this.
  9. ChairfaceChippendale

ChairfaceChippendale Initiate (89) May 29, 2014 New York
    Trader

HI Speedway or Prop '14. Couldn't stand Death by Coconut for some reason.

10. ryanhooks81

ryanhooks81 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Georgia

BA coconut mexican cake

11. cejaev

cejaev Aspirant (207) Jul 6, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

That counts because the andall is amazing!!!

gopens44 likes this.
  12. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,304) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I asked how much coconut they used and the only response from the bartender was was "Probably a lot because An doesn't fool around when it comes to coconut". That answer said it all.

cejaev likes this.
  13. Dave1999

Dave1999 Savant (945) Dec 5, 2011 North Carolina

Maui coconut porter and death by coconut are both excellent.

TBonez477 likes this.
  14. Mipper

Mipper Aspirant (243) Dec 14, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

All in on Resolute - Coconut. It was amazing and tops my list along with Prop and Last Snow/Snowed in.

If you have a chance to get some, I say do it if you are a coconut freak.

15. Sad_Larry

Sad_Larry Aspirant (235) Mar 21, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Stout: The Patsy (Barley Forge)
    Porter: Last Snow (Funky Buddha) by a landslide, but Death By Coconut (Oskar Blues) would be my second choice

TBonez477 likes this.
  16. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,727) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Lots of great beer mentioned in this thread. I haven't read the whole thing but one that may not have been mentioned that's not a stout but is a really cool beer is coconut bay breeze by Due South Brewing. Pretty much tastes exactly like the cocktail.

17. inkman15

inkman15 Devotee (430) Oct 28, 2013 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Had ANTEAD Coconut on New Years and that jumped right to the top of my list.

18. Mshea805

Mshea805 Initiate (197) Apr 12, 2014 California
    Trader

I just had the coconut victory at sea and wow, it's amazing. Way more coconut than Hawaiian Speedway.

BB1313 likes this.
  19. NHhomebrewguy

NHhomebrewguy Zealot (548) Apr 9, 2012 New Hampshire
    Trader

Monsters Park rum w/ coconut

Beer_Line likes this.
  20. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,553) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Resolute variant is amazing!

A long 2nd is Maui
    3rd is Death by Coconut

That's the only 3 I've had.

All of those are good, but Resolute is on such a world class level of craftsmenship it is definitely a whale worth chasing. Luckily a family member got to go to Resolute Release Day festival and brough back a bottle of Coconut to share. Not many bottles out there in circulation.

thegrimone and Mipper like this.
  21. Beer_Line

Beer_Line Disciple (308) May 29, 2015 California
    Trader

the bruery - So Happens its Tuesday w/ coconut
    Rum BA Monsters Park w/ coconut

22. Beer_Line

Beer_Line Disciple (308) May 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Hands down, the best

ModernTimesJacob and tokimedo like this.
  23. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

Ever? Westbrook 4th, Currently available? Oskar Blues Death By Coconut

24. 50StateBeerTour

50StateBeerTour Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2016 Arkansas

Coconut Joe by Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, AZ
    Core Brewing Toasted Coconut in Springdale, AR

25. prost2hefeweizen

prost2hefeweizen Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2015 Oklahoma

Death By Coconut

chrismann65 likes this.
  26. Vicirus

Vicirus Disciple (327) Oct 8, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I recently did a coconut porter tasting with my wife and the results were:

1. Jacks Abby BA Cocoanut Framminghammer: vastly superior
    2. Fiddlehead Hodad
    3. Oscar Blues Death by Coconut: neck and neck with Hodad
    -- Large Gap--
    4. NoDa Coco Loco
    5. Maui Coconut Porter: too thin
    6. Baxter Window Seat: too artificial

Separately I had No Rules and found it to be way too sweet and boozy, so if probably slot it around fourth on this list. I still have all but the NoDa if someone wants to try this for themselves.

WoostaBia likes this.
  27. costanzo_mike

costanzo_mike Meyvn (1,214) Jul 17, 2014 Massachusetts

I second Norm!

WoostaBia and barroomhero1977 like this.
  28. redbarnbikes

redbarnbikes Disciple (342) May 27, 2014 New York

Fiddlehead's Hodad !

29. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,387) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Funky Buddha Last snow
    Angry chair German chocolate cake
    Snowed in
    Nooner 10

30. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (229) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

TROAIS w/ Coconut - a local and really the only coconut flavored stout I've ever had. It would have to be something absolutely mind blowing to usurp the position as top coconut forward/flavored stout.

31. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (247) Feb 28, 2015 California

you need need need need to try mash & coconut. oh my god. i would have listed it here but its a barleywine but that was one of the best beers ive EVER had, not just as a coconut beer.

32. Dr_Bahmbay13

Dr_Bahmbay13 Devotee (439) Mar 10, 2013 Michigan

BLACK ROCKS BREWING COCONUT BROWN!

VABA likes this.
  33. barroomhero1977

barroomhero1977 Initiate (167) Nov 2, 2010 Rhode Island

Norm! Definitely Norm.

34. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,317) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Ive never had one but this thread is giving some beers ill be on the look out for.

35. Ptrpaintman

Ptrpaintman Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2015 Texas

Not all DBC are created equal one batch ok another outstanding but Oscar Blues DBC wins

36. cbjfan

cbjfan Initiate (60) Apr 24, 2014 Ohio

I still got a can of Noda Coco Loco in the fridge to test. Noticed that particular one had a lack of mentions.

37. doner24

doner24 Initiate (98) Apr 16, 2013 Minnesota

Town Hall's 3 Hour Tour - Death by Coconut was not that good.

38. jkane101

jkane101 Devotee (470) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey

ANTEAD - Coconut

I actually enjoyed Death by Coconut more when I did a 50/50 blend with another stout, preferably a RIS

chrismann65 likes this.
  39. lanciloti

lanciloti Devotee (496) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Still ISO Snowed In, but for me it's...

#1. Last Snow (straight up almond joy)
    #2. Death By Coconut

chrismann65 likes this.
  40. chrismann65

chrismann65 Initiate (144) Jan 25, 2015 Texas

Try this : 70% Death By Coconut & 30% Xocoveza = A nice blend of 2 great beers. !:grinning:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.