1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

What's your favorite coffee-infused beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Sep 29, 2018.

1. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,281) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Most of them are stated to have coffee, but the brewers of a couple of them heavily imply by mentioning coffee or espresso. Can be tough to say for sure though.

2. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Disciple (334) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

Surly coffee Bender

TheGent and SFACRKnight like this.
  3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,154) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Unfortunately, I'm on the road today and couldn't do a coffee beer tasting today.

I did a side by side of Surly's Coffee Bender and Mother's Winter Grind and came up with pretty comparable results. Both those reviews were very similar to Modern Time's Black House when I visited that later. I'd love to do a blind taste test between the three. Each has a quality coffee note layered over a standard, well-made American stout.

Best use of single origin coffee I've had was Tree House's Kenya Karimikui Double shot variant.

Best robust coffee goes to Alesmith's Speedway for a regular imperial stout and Avery's Tweak for a barrel aged imperial stout. Both have rich, authentic coffee notes that don't come off as a second thought or a few batches run through the 12 pot coffee maker in the office and dumped into the brewing vats prior to bottling.

I did have this in Japan and really, really enjoyed it. I thought it was a can of coffee after the first sip, but it has 5% ABV. I'll have to visit it again and see if it was the just the occasion I drank it that inspired such good experiences.

[​IMG]

Kirin's Prime Brew.

Personally, I haven't found any light coffee beers I've enjoyed. Perhaps it's the mix of the lighter malts with coffee. Hoping I can try Carton's versions soon.

TheGent and GormBrewhouse like this.
  4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,283) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Tweak is mephistopheles with coffee, BA tweak is tweak in bourbon barrels. Meph never had coffee in it, that's all malts giving those flavors.

5. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (138) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

SPEEEEEDWAAAAYYYYYYYY

6. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (283) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

Cigar City Cubano Espresso, now in the cooler.

BIGPOPPAS, Harrison8 and mkh012 like this.
  7. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,641) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Wtf? Barely any mention of FBS? Call me old-fashioned, but Founders Breakfast Stout is still my number one favorite coffee beer. It's unbeatable.
    My second favorite is Founders Sumatra Brown, and then several others such as KBS, Oskar Blues HotBox Coffee Porter, and Stone Xocoveza and Bomb!

Haha. "Roast."

I would love to try that. Do you know if it's distributed outside of FL? Even if not, I'm probably moving to FL in a year or two, and I'll look for it then.

TheGent, surfcaster, Sabtos and 2 others like this.
  8. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

My regional ellicottville has a nice one called cosldspresso.

cavedave likes this.
  9. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Zealot (545) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Founders Breakfast Stout is a reliable standby. Troegs Java Head Stout is another that I really like. I actually have on in the fridge right now getting ready for today's Eagles game.

10. Glider

Glider Aspirant (206) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

Berkshire Brewing Coffeehouse Porter has been around a long time and is always good.

Founders Breakfast Stout is a classic.

Trillium PM Dawn is excellent and released often enough to be fairly available.

Stone Xocoveza and Prairie Bomb! I also liked.

For a straight up single coffee stout, Two Roads Espressway is not bad either.

TheGent, Jlabs and seakayak like this.
  11. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Champion (802) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

The already mentioned DDC Peche Mortel is probably my gold standard. I prefer the regular to the BBA.

Recently I thought Allagash Map 40 to have the most enticing coffee aromas I have ever smelled. Great tasting too. Also, Godspeed Nanatsu No Tazai which is a dark lager version of/homage to Peche Mortel brewed by the original Peche brewer at his newish brewery in Toronto. A great beer.

TheGent, matthewp and seakayak like this.
  12. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (325) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

A day late, but Pizza Boy's Sunny Side Up. It's da bomb!

TheGent, Jlabs and Harrison8 like this.
  13. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (143) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Wolaver Alta Gracia used to be my favorite.

I loved Sam Adams Nitro Coffee Stout. Haven't seen it in ages. I'm probably alone on this one, if I had to guess

14. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (171) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

Map 40 is a great beer. Its a solid coffee beer without anything else to take away from the coffee. At 7.5% ABV in a 12 oz bottle its a nice simple stout you can drink just for the heck of it. There are other beers that are bourbon barrel aged as well which overall I like better but they are more of a special occasion beer. They cost more, have a much higher ABV, and generally come in larger formats. Someone mentioned Son of a Baptist which is another great coffee stout. I need to have that again and compare it against my last Map 40. Again I prefer Big Bad Baptist to SOB overall but I'm more apt to have an SOB over BBB more regularly.

Overall though if I just had to pick a "best coffee infused beer" I'd pick something like Map 40 since it highlights the coffee whereas the BA coffee beers its just one element of the taste.

Coronaeus likes this.
  15. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Defender (691) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Founders Breakfast Stout. Enough said.

HorseheadsHophead and TheGent like this.
  16. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,266) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

Both of mine are now defunct: Backcountry Breakfast Stout and the original (milder) version of Comrade's Koffee Kream.

Great Notion's Double Stack does the trick if other adjuncts come into play.

Of the more commonly available items, I really like Sump (and Barrel-Aged Sump) from Perennial. They occasionally have a weird scum on the top of them, but they are otherwise on point.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  17. mkh012

mkh012 Zealot (587) May 7, 2015 New Jersey

Kane Morning Bell
    Perennial Sump
    Cigar City Cafe Con Leche

TheGent, Sabtos and RobNewton like this.
  18. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (686) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Coffee bender

FBS....first time I had it was through oatmeal and coffee beans in a giant Randall , so good

Original large format hi west......

Sunday morning stout

Sierra Nevada coffee stout

Narragansett autocratic coffee ,nice and creamy

Du Ciel

Speedway

Evolution

Bells abracadabra , not sure the name was one of my favorite beers I tried last year

Coffee Jawn

Lakewood temptress.....from a trade when I did that

Fuel organic

Victory at sea is nice, not had one in a few years.....always wanted to try the coffee only version

Two roads expressway is very good

Schlafly coffee porter is a nice low cost beer

Pizza boy sunny side up

Sixpoint cream.....still making this?

Freewill COB

As the weather turns cooler I love coffee beers and more pine earth forward IPA moving to barley wine and imperials as it gets winter cold.

Most of these were beees I had long ago or was given a bottle or two.

As a value beer shopper Narragansett is my best deal for the money. 6x16 is $8-10. I find good mix a six coffee beers as well. Since FBS is now year round I would hope it’s much less than the $70 a case it’s been.

Happy the weather is a bit cooler.

Enjoy

TheGent and Harrison8 like this.
  19. RobNewton

RobNewton Zealot (597) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

As a non coffee drinker, this one is by far my favorite coffee beer.

mkh012 likes this.
  20. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (78) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I actually don't think I could honestly pick a favorite. Their are so many great ones out there.

I do drink a lot of Founders Breakfast Stout though. Can't beat getting a world class beer for $8.99 a 4pk.

#60 Alefflicted, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    TheGent and seakayak like this.
  21. Donovanj

Donovanj Initiate (57) Mar 21, 2018 Georgia

Terrapin Wake and Bake!
    [​IMG]

morimech, TheGent, SawDog505 and 5 others like this.
  22. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (3,021) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

There's a ton of great coffee brews, but Big Bad Baptist and Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti are probably my 2 favorites..

23. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,501) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Peche Mortel then FBS.

24. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (135) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of coffee beers, although I am a huge fan of both coffee and beer separately. I guess I just can't get over the idea that I'm consuming caffeine and alcohol at the same time. It doesn't seem like there is an appropriate time of day to drink a coffee beer. Maybe with brunch?
    With that said, when I do like coffee beers, they tend to be the lighter ones. Probably because I'm not a huge fan of darkly roasted flavors in general. I don't drink a lot of dark beer, and I strongly prefer light roast coffee. Locally, Huss makes a beer called Koffee Kolsch, which tastes basically like a pale lager, but has an aroma dominated by roasted coffee. It's crisp, light, and refreshing, but smells like coffee. Interesting beer.

I've had good luck with coffee in a homebrew, myself. It was a hoppy blonde ale that I "dry-beaned" with light roast Kenyan coffee. Everyone loved that beer. I think the citrus, floral, fruity, tea, etc. flavors that you can get from a light roasted East African coffee work really well with most hops. That way, you can avoid the dichotomy you get from a light beer dosed with darkly roasted coffee. It may not be what you think of when you hear "coffee beer," but I think it works. I'd like to see more brewers try this out.

seakayak likes this.
  25. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (264) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Founders KBS
    Prairie BOMB!
    Stone Xocoveza

26. DaverCS

DaverCS Zealot (567) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

You do some amazing beer pictures man! Jealous every time!

chipawayboy and seakayak like this.
  27. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (458) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Sabtos likes this.
  28. DISKORD

Mephistopheles' doesn't have any coffee in it.

29. Reemer686

Reemer686 Initiate (130) Oct 13, 2014 Maryland

Coffee beers can be so hit and miss. FBS is a consistent standout for sure. Sunday Morning Stout from Weyerbacher is also a favorite.

Franfab and Sabtos like this.
  30. DISKORD

Tweak is Mephistopheles' + coffee + bourbon barrels.

31. DISKORD

There's NO coffee in Darkness, Ten FIDY or BCBS.

32. DISKORD

We've been through this already. You thought Black Note had coffee in it. And you don't seem to understand the difference between a beer brewed with COFFEE vs. beer with "espresso" or "coffee" notes.

"Black Note is a malty harmony of dark, chocolate, espresso and dark fruits notes, aged in freshly retired oak bourbon barrels."

If a beer contains coffee, it's always written on the front label.

33. Vader444

Vader444 Disciple (330) Aug 26, 2016 United Kingdom (Scotland)

I love Founders Sumatra Mountain Brown. Problem is, I’m staring at the ceiling all night after just one. No such problem with any other coffee beer eg FBS or KBS. Makes me wonder what the damn caffeine content is?

TheGent and nc41 like this.
  34. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Speedway was my first thought when I read the OP.

Had Sump while at Pizzeria Paradiso in DC. T'was a very nice beer.

Easily the best everyday drinker of coffee beers, IMO. Java Head is no slouch, either.

HorseheadsHophead and cjgiant like this.
  35. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Aspirant (217) Jan 26, 2013 Missouri

I'm a big fan of coffee beers. These are some of my favorites:

FBS
    Peche Mortel
    Sumatra Mountain Brown
    Stone Espresso IRS (wish they'd bring this one back)
    Wake 'n Bake
    Xocoveza
    4 Hands Zellige

TheGent and DISKORD like this.
  36. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (5,685) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Kane Sunday Brunch

It's hard to top, but it does also have other things in it. Still, it has such a deep, complex yet totally delectable and easy to put down flavor profile for how big it is.

On the lighter, more accessible side, Hoppin Frog Infusion A is also surprisingly drinkable and tasty. I also have trouble finding other "peanut butter" or buckeye flavored beers that beat it. While not over the top, it still brings a good punch of both coffee and peanut butter.

Cigar City Caffe Americano is one of my all time faves, though. I wish I could get that one more often. It's exceptional, especially fresh.

#76 Sabtos, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    TheGent likes this.
  37. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (777) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

Weldwerks Coffee Maple Achromatic was one of the best I’ve ever had. No green pepper notes just the smell and taste of the perfect morning.

38. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,017) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

People already mentioned Kane Morning Bell (and it's variants like Sunday Brunch, Mexican Brunch, etc.)

For me, it's all of the "coffee" series by Carton Brewing:

[​IMG]
    Carton Regular Coffee (imperial cream ale w/ coffee)

[​IMG]
    Carton Cafe y Churro (regular coffee w/ cinnamon & vanilla)

[​IMG]
    Carton Irish Coffee (regular coffee w/ nutmeg, mint leaves, aged on irish wood)

[​IMG]
    Carton Kaffe und Kuchen (regular coffee w/ cherries & marzipan)

[​IMG]
    Carton St. Kitts Coffee (regular coffee w/ coconut aged in rum barrels)

[no pics of Carton Caffe Corretto (regular coffee w/ fennel, licorice & anise) sorry]

Honorable mention: Koffee Kolsch by Huss Brewing

39. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (438) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Of ones I’ve been lucky enough to try:
    BA Sump
    Onyx BDCS
    KBBS (incredibly overrated, but niiice)

Shelfies:
    BBB (every bit as good as KBBS)
    Peche Mortal (absolute classic)
    Sante Fe Java Stout (solid, inexpensive)

TheGent and seakayak like this.
  40. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (536) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

[​IMG]
    :wink:

But seriously, while I'm not a coffee drinker, I love the smell of it and enjoy a good coffee infused beer. All of my favorites have been among the renowned ones mentioned previously, so I'll just throw out a couple others that haven't which I also liked: Carton/Barrier SS C.R.E.A.M. and Coney Island Freaktoberfest.

seakayak likes this.