What's your favorite Sour Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,698) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Simply put: What's your favorite Sour Beer?

One of my favorites has to be Cerise Cassée from Cambridge Brewing Company, which I'm stoked to be able to try again at FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest.

How about you? And make sure to link to the beer listing on BA!

Cheers!

(I also asked this question on Twitter and Facebook.)

AirBob, Sheppard, kinopio and 4 others like this.
  2. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Janeinma and warrendietrich2001 like this.
  3. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Crusader (717) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

Home Sour Home by Rare Barrel its the only sour I buy multiples of.

Vitacca and spicyvelveetas like this.
  4. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (160) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Untitled Art Sour Raspberry IPA

WorthFlood likes this.
  5. Hallbrauhaus

Hallbrauhaus Initiate (192) Aug 4, 2008 Mississippi

new belgium la folie

6. SMCC73

SMCC73 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2018 Germany

7. BigRedRoth

BigRedRoth Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2017 Colorado

For sure Bug Zapper from Avery in Boulder, CO. Had it when visiting their spot last week and went home to buy it immediately. Seasonally available but a great great summertime beer. If you don't like ginger, you won't like it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/292393/

8. Crablouse

Crablouse Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2018 Texas

Sour Monkey by Victory is by far one of my favorites.

Untitled Art Citrus Berliner is also a great choice

9. Poboxbrian

Poboxbrian Initiate (15) Sep 21, 2014 Colorado

My favorite is more of a journey. Go to Crooked Stave Tap Room in Denver and have them take you on a journey from least to most sour. I can't remember each name anymore, but I'll never forget the experience.

10. Mommala

Mommala Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2017 Colorado

Almost anything Paradox Brewing puts out I will drink.. I consider them the best around when it comes to sours. That being said, I have had quite a few by Local Relic, and Black Spontaneous that I have loved as well.

11. bennygazooks

bennygazooks Initiate (0) May 29, 2004 New Hampshire

Anything from the Smuttynose Sours series, especially Blueberry.

thatoneguymike likes this.
  12. wolfshield1947

wolfshield1947 Initiate (70) Nov 16, 2011 Ohio

Petrus Aged and Ommegang Sour Pale Ale.

13. Haxley

Haxley Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2015 Arizona

Any gose.

Number1Framer and rds3wave like this.
  14. Chuckletheturtle

Chuckletheturtle Initiate (184) Dec 9, 2013 Delaware

Seaquench by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in scenic Delaware is a gateway to Sours

15. InvasionofColloidialHaze

InvasionofColloidialHaze Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2019 Washington

I would have to say the Imperial Cabinet by The Bruery and Jester King, I’ve been trying to try as many sours as I can from amazing names such as Cellador, Cantillon, ToøL, and Allagash, but the Imperial Cabinet definitely took the cake.

16. jbryant12odu

jbryant12odu Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2017 Minnesota

Beatnik Sour by Exile Brewing in Des Moines, Iowa. Haven't been able to find anything close to matching what made me love this style.

boogerisu and StephenM like this.
  17. bierdfly

bierdfly Devotee (431) Sep 2, 2003 Massachusetts
    Society

The beer that first introduced me to sours 20 odd years ago is still readily available, Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale (brewed by Brouwerij Van Steenberge). I find it to be the perfect balance and measure all other sours based on my love of this.

18. afroskully

afroskully Disciple (316) Aug 24, 2016 New York
    Trader

Not super well versed in the sour game, but I recently had the Bellwoods Raspberry&Blackberry Jelly King and damn that was awesome.

yancot likes this.
  19. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,057) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I would say any of the Flora variations from Hill Farmstead.

Some of the wild ales from Side Project and Jester King come close.

A recent excellent sour I have enjoyed is Composition 2 from HOMES care of @FlintB

20. DLiteful

DLiteful Initiate (0) May 25, 2012 Missouri

My fave sour is Wicked Weed Cerise Morte. So delicious. Wish it was available closer to St. Louis!

21. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,999) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

At the risk of being overly predictable, I'm going to have to go with Rodenbach Vintage. It's kinda neat just how available and affordable a beer like that winds up being, though.

Vitacca, gshak, BruChef and 10 others like this.
  22. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Disciple (312) Jan 13, 2016 Canada (ON)

My favourite still has to be Rodenbach (Vintage). Many of the sours from Jester King come a close second.

23. dpgrifs

dpgrifs Initiate (125) May 18, 2010 Pennsylvania

Anything from Cantillon. But can’t ever find them.

mkh012 likes this.
  24. Naugled

Naugled Savant (954) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

Another vote for anything from Cantillon or Fonteinen

mkh012 likes this.
  25. LanceB

LanceB Initiate (0) May 21, 2015 Colorado

10 Barrel Brewery Raspberry Crush

26. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (245) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

I personally split sour beers into really 2 categories: High abv and low abv, because (to me at least) they are consumed under very different moods and conditions. My favorite low abv has to be 10 barrel Cucumber Sour, just a tart refreshing delight. In terms of high abv I will always resort to Sour Monkey by Victory because that's the Philly in me!

sharpski and rudiecantfail like this.
  27. eire

eire Aspirant (215) Jan 31, 2016 Alaska
    Trader

I have had many amazing sours, but the my favorite brewery that is consistently amazing and easy to procure would be Rodenbach (Vintage, Grand Cru, Caractere Rouge, Alexander,or even Classic).

gshak, OldBrewer, BruChef and 2 others like this.
  28. gueuzegeek

gueuzegeek Disciple (308) Aug 11, 2003 New Jersey

(Opinion only, folks) Nothing simple about that to me!

I feel the whole category of sour is overused these days, there are Flemish sours (which I really do NOT like at all, but I think of as the definition of ‘sour’), kettle sours (which I LOVE, even though some think they are cheating in a sense, and often mostly tart and sometimes hoppy) and then people throw Brett in there (also mostly love as long as they are not dark beers with Brett) and I like to just think of them as “funky” so I still do not call that sour per Se! In other words, I am hard pressed to really answer if we are strictly talking “sour”! LOL!

So, without bounds of ANY sort, I love Refernd Berliner Messe Gloria but not sure it really counts as a sour based on the above!

Okay, I’m done now... nothing simple there, right?

29. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,305) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Probably Beatification, though I don't have access to it locally.

Bought locally, Crooked Stave Nightmare on Brett Raspberry.

30. riegler

riegler Initiate (97) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

One of the beers that turned me on to sours! It's local(ish), affordable, and easy to find. Can't beat that! Also, like most of their "Bohemian" series of sours.

Although, my all time favorite sour may have to be Rodenbach Grand Cru. It's just perfect every time!

gshak and TongoRad like this.
  31. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2012 North Carolina

Tain't no such thing as a "favorite sour beer"... a few that may be drinkable, but nothing that screams "drink me drink me!"

One of the owners of the beer place I go to once told me "all real beer aficionados come to appreciate sours - I'll make you a sour lover one day." I proved him wrong. I can taste a sour and tell you whether a sour lover will appreciate it, but I'll pass that beer on and grab one that is in my wheelhouse.

Those of you who like sours... I hope the beer gods continue to rain down on you sours you find delicious. Keep drinking and enjoying them.... leaves more IPAs and stouts for me. ;-)

BrewmanCapote and SudsDoctor like this.
  32. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,310) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm a homer, so I'm going to say that Sour Monkey by Victory is a damn good one. And since it's a fairly new beer, I'd say it bodes well for the brewery that a lot of folks say is tired/dated.

Janeinma likes this.
  33. dmoney1

dmoney1 Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2011 California

34. neockder

neockder Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2018 Oregon

eire likes this.
  35. gbiello

gbiello Zealot (591) Oct 23, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Any version of Flora from Hill Farmstead. The stuff is amazing.

cavedave, DCbeerhead and Matzi_too like this.
  36. digitalflood

digitalflood Champion (864) Feb 4, 2011 New York
    Society

Brooklyn Brewing Bel Air. Nothing like beer made with whatever yeast bugs are floating around Brooklyn's air that day. :sunglasses:

37. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,811) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Cantillon Rose De Gambrinus and Fou Foune, hype & all. I feel it's justified.

For more readily available options, I'm all over the Cuvee Rene Kriek from Lindemans.

On US shores, Casey's Supreme Clientele (the berry/cherry version) and Beachwood Careful with that Cherry are my faves.

kinopio and Bitterbill like this.
  38. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Initiate (36) Jan 20, 2019 Belgium

I’m a simple man. 3 Fonteinen Armand & Gaston for my everyday Geuze. I’m going to go ahead and brag and say it’s only 30 minutes from my house to the brewery. I’m going to enjoy it while i can.

39. belgiumking

belgiumking Initiate (48) Aug 10, 2004 Florida
    Society

Too many to think about - but at the moment - Chaos is a Friend of Mine by Beachwood Blendary is probably number one followed by dozens of other greats; including any of the Vice Series beers by Wild Barrel; any of the beers from Arkane and Odd Breed.....

Naturally anything from Cantillon, Oud Beersel, 3 Fonteinen, Tilquin, Boon etc are World-Class creations, but don't consider them 'sours'....they remain in a league of their own...

40. phroztbyt3

phroztbyt3 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2015 Colorado

Locally and always available - O'Dell - Friek. So well done every time.

SFACRKnight and Bitterbill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.