What's your favorite Sour Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Mayhem

Mayhem Initiate (105) Aug 18, 2013 New Hampshire

drie fonteinen oude geuze

Vitacca, Bitterbill and beergorrilla like this.
  2. maalko

maalko Aspirant (255) Apr 17, 2015 Michigan
    Society

My first experience with a sour was a can of Jolly Pumpkin a friend brought me. I did not care for it. To be honest, I most likely didn't know what a sour was at the time and it probably just tasted tart to me. Years later I tried a sour IPA, don't recall the name, at Jolly Pumpkin in Detroit (life goes full circle sometimes). I figured it's Jolly Pumpkin, I have to try a sour. I loved it. Maybe my palette has changed over the years, maybe understanding what a sour is allowed me to appreciate them, or maybe it just an acquired taste. I just know I love them now.

3. Beer_30-1982

Beer_30-1982 Initiate (18) Oct 2, 2018 Georgia

3 Taverns Saporous (At least I think that’s the spelling).

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  4. Aewachiw

Aewachiw Zealot (525) Dec 26, 2011 Maryland
    Society

If in Baltimore, seek out Waverly Brewing. The have exceptional sours, and recently had a sour power our, where I was able to sample them all. Anything from their G’OAT series. Outstanding.

5. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (231) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

You know this isn't a new style, right? People have been making sour ales longer than they have understood the microbiology behind the souring and longer than there have been asshats in suits with fancy titles like vice President of marketing.

Also, doing a second run with spent grains would make a small beer, not a sour.

I do agree that the trendiness of them is a little much and that some of them are just god awful messes (Anderson valley watermelon gose comes to mind).

My personal favourite, and I have a hard time believing I'll ever have a sour better than it, is Rodenbach caratere rouge.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/216/74778/

TongoRad likes this.
  6. Atmend7

Atmend7 Aspirant (278) Mar 26, 2014 Connecticut
    Society

Anything from OEC in Oxford, CT.

7. eatsoutalot

eatsoutalot Initiate (79) Oct 29, 2014 South Carolina

My favorite sour? None of them. I've tried a lot and they are all awful. This is the Yagermeister and Rumplemintz crowd using craft beer to punish their taste buds.

8. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (188) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Allagash Coolship Resurgam- After trying it the first time with a friend, I was blow away and told him we got to get a few six pack of it! He laughed at me then told me how much it costs. I then understood why he laughed at me. Sadly I can't afford to drink it every day, but I always keep a bottle in the cellar for a treat. Thankfully, I also like Cuvee Rene which gets me by. On a related note, I picked up some Flaming Furys by Captain Lawrence on clearance recently- Definitely 7 dollars well spent.

9. DeSpain

DeSpain Initiate (15) Apr 15, 2019 South Carolina

I do not like sour beers!

10. tresequis

tresequis Initiate (25) Apr 30, 2018 Texas

Hola Todd,
    This is my first post, and I think this a good place to post this. Actually I am not a big fan of sour beers, or at least didn't used to be, but they kinda grow on you.

Anyhow my favorite sour beer is now Jester King's 2018 SPON muscat. Although I cant justify spending $30 a bottle for it. (Got one for my birthday though). The reason I like it is because it is brewed with wild Muscat grapes the same way Eve (the women of Mesopotamia) brewed it in the garden of Eden 6000 years ago -- and why we are here. (The first writing was "fermented grapes + barley + hops"). IMHO, its the recipe for beer the way its supposed to be brewed. Brewer's yeast is not good for you because its almost pure sugar and only gives you a beer belly. While grapes have a lot of medicinal benefits.

xxx

Todd likes this.
  11. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yeast, whether in fermenting beer or wine, eats sugar but isn't itself sugar.

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. strumble

strumble Initiate (189) Oct 1, 2016 Michigan
    Society

13. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Meyvn (1,303) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

tobelerone likes this.
  14. French_Brandon

French_Brandon Aspirant (269) Feb 21, 2015 Maine
    Society

My favorite is Mainer Weisse from Night Shift in Everett, MA

15. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (266) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

I agree with Todd that Cambridge Brewing Cerise Cassee is indeed very good. CBC is what got me into sour beer years ago. But my favorite is Cantillon Fou' Foune. So tasty. Unfortunately I've only had it on three occasions.

Thrillhouse82 likes this.
  16. sjjn

sjjn Zealot (559) Jun 4, 2004 New York
    Society

Belgian : Cantillon Saint Lamvinus.
    American: Jester King Atrial Rubicite

mkh012 likes this.
  17. bill125

bill125 Initiate (42) Apr 6, 2014 Pennsylvania

Oliver Brewing Chasing Rainbows.

18. shadyside

shadyside Defender (610) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia
    Society

Duchesse de Bourgogne

thesherrybomber likes this.
  19. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (472) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

20. DeltaAgent

DeltaAgent Aspirant (229) Jan 16, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am a fan of any and all things from Black Project (which, sadly, I cannot get in PA). But I particularly like Peacemaker, a perfect blend of oak and cherry notes.

21. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Defender (659) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

Alexander

Bitterbill likes this.
  22. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,924) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Haha. You could add 2009 The Abyss.

23. mkh012

mkh012 Crusader (713) May 7, 2015 Colorado

My highest rated is Cantillon Fou Foune, which was likely a one-time experience. In the more accessible realm, I like Allagash sours.

24. BeanBump

BeanBump Devotee (476) Dec 14, 2016 California

25. Beer_Stalin

Beer_Stalin Aspirant (267) Feb 7, 2015 Quebec (Canada)
    Society

26. zid

zid Meyvn (1,358) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I’m pleasantly surprised by all the Rodenbach love here.

27. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (350) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I'm surprised so many people can narrow it down to one.

TongoRad and zid like this.
  28. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,087) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Another vote for CBC Cerise Cassee. I look forward to its release every year. I think this year is the first year I've missed. HF Flora is also one of my favorite beers, but I've only liked the regular Flora, the Cuvee, and Cherry. The fruited versions I've had have not been good. Yeah, Cantillion, yeah, Drie, yeah Tilquin. I'd throw Supplication in there as well.

29. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Russian River Temptation

Rodenbach Grand Cru

Leifman's Goudenband

Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kreik (Retired)

30. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,727) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Way too many to say for certain which was my favorite but Cantillon lou Pepe framboise vintage bottle I drank at the brewery stands out as completely mind blowing and unforgettable. Also had saint lamvinus grand cru on another visit and that’s likely a close second. I could drink vigneronne everyday.

Lots of great domestic options, partial to HF, also I appreciate the shout outs to Russian River classics. I was always partial to Temptetion for much the same reason I love vigneronne - that super bright tart white wine character they both have.

drtth likes this.
  31. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Aspirant (279) Jan 13, 2016 Ontario (Canada)

Yes! Caractere Rouge is another outstanding Rodenbach product. Not to easy to obtain, though I was able to acquire it once.

eire likes this.
  32. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,661) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

For me there's a couple of things playing out simultaneously. First (and probably most importantly) Flanders Reds, more than any other style, just trigger a Cookie Monster response in me; although I try to be as neat as I can when drinking one :sunglasses:. And when the feeling's that strong, you just gotta go with it...

But also- when the word favorite comes up, it seems to be implicit that you're looking at a beer that you go back to time and time again, and really know its ins and outs. Otherwise something would just be "that beer I had once or twice and really liked", and doesn't rise to that level.

33. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (386) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Jester King Omniscience & Proslychakznfksnfksjf :sunglasses:

34. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (350) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Yeah, the problem is that all the sours I can think of that really stand out in my memory are things I've only had once, or a handful of times. Kind of comes with the territory; Allagash makes some amazing sours but at $15 a pop AND with a wide variety to choose from, none of them are ever likely to achieve that tried-and-true status.

TongoRad likes this.
  35. howardnss

howardnss Initiate (111) Nov 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Rhodenbach grand cru.

36. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (436) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Newbie to the sour game ...this one is for us w/training wheels. Super aromatic and mild....love it.
    [​IMG]

Thrillhouse82 likes this.
  37. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,924) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Spot on.

For a beer in this thread that I have had consistently and satisfies my needs in a sour "style", I would have to go with La Folie.

TongoRad likes this.
  38. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (741) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

39. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (741) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

You should try Weyerbacher Riserva if you can find it. Well worth the $16-18 I have paid to drink it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/43217/

Enjoy

JamFuel and TongoRad like this.
  40. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,661) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hell yeah, you got that right. As much as I've enjoyed Golden Brett, it's only been a couple times splurge for me at $15 for a 375ml.

On the other hand, Plan Bee Barn Beer at half the price is a regular purchase lately. Heck, sometimes I go out specifically just to get a few bottles. I guess it's officially grown on me at this point. :wink: