What's your go-to 2022 summer beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bkov33, Jul 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

It was Oskar Blues Lager until Old Chicago ran out. Coors Banquet at a different venue, Black Tooth 307 Lager at Old Chicago. Oh, and that wonderful Dark Mild, Saddle Bronc Brown, from Black Tooth. It just keeps on winning awards.

2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,112) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Still all-in on PseudoSue.

[​IMG]

TCgenny, Peach63, budsNpils and 11 others like this.
  3. BJC

BJC Aspirant (200) Nov 9, 2002 New Jersey

Haven't had Drift Line in six years. The Brick House in South Plainfield had in the autumn.
    I loved it.

4. BillyRipp

BillyRipp Initiate (11) Dec 18, 2021 Wisconsin

Hamm’s……at least for the past week or so.

5. Reemer686

Reemer686 Initiate (147) Oct 13, 2014 Maryland

Flying Dog Numero Uno has been the go to

6. DownyIsHungry

DownyIsHungry Savant (996) Feb 6, 2015 Minnesota
    Society

Bayern St. Walter Hefe and 35th Anniversary Pils.

Hamm's.

DrOfGolf, Whyteboar, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  7. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Poo-Bah (2,082) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan
    Society

I started on Hamm's for a week or so also. That was 12 years ago. :sunglasses::beers:
    @DavetotheB @HammsMeASAP

8. DavetotheB

DavetotheB Poo-Bah (1,626) Sep 30, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society

For the record, Hamms also makes a great Spring, Fall and Winter go-to beer. Cheers!

tekstr1der, TCgenny, DrOfGolf and 7 others like this.
  9. scootercrabb

scootercrabb Crusader (737) May 2, 2007 Illinois
    Society

I have a couple been rotating this summer

Brooklyn Summer Ale / Grolsch / London Pride / Guinness Draft / PBR ( was on Sale cheap)

DrOfGolf and Whyteboar like this.
  10. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,685) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Having an .83¢ can of Trumer while prepping the grill for tonight's brats! Life is good. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, 87° -- I guess that counts as summer. :wink:

11. steveh

Society

The $1.70 can of Lager of the Lakes is a nice follow-up, but twice the price better? :thinking_face:

BigIronH, DrOfGolf, Whyteboar and 2 others like this.
  12. Sparty1965

Sparty1965 Initiate (62) Dec 11, 2021

13. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (2,150) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

Summit Brewing Twin Pils - a mainstream push on their Keller Pils, which is fantastic. Yeasty, dry, crisp, & summery.

14. Cstamp3084

Cstamp3084 Initiate (104) May 3, 2020 Maryland
    Trader

[​IMG]
    down to my last 4 pack. The only place I can find cans finally got a case in for me.

15. steveh

Society

Well that certainly sucks. I was at a local today that had 2 for $3 singles. Made me pause, but maybe when my overloaded stash is depleted.

Except, the Oktoberfests will be abundant by then. First world problems.

16. Cstamp3084

Trader

a case cost me 62 bucks not a great deal but it’s my go to I can get bottles for much cheaper but the taste is way different to me.

17. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,515) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

So far it's been Modelo, both original Especial and the lime and salt chelada. However, those are starting to taste too sweet for me so I think I'm going to switch over to more craft Mexican style/corn/lime and salt lagers. Those are what have been hitting the spot, though.

BigIronH, TCgenny, DrOfGolf and 3 others like this.
  18. steveh

Society

Hmm. Never tried them side-by, might have to.

Are there Aldis in Maryland? They sell a north-northeastern German Pils, Wernesgrüner, that has a very similar flavor to Urquell to my palate. Not identical, but similar. I think they're $6 or $7 a 4-pack of .5 liter cans these days.

DrOfGolf, Whyteboar and ChicagoJ like this.
  19. Cstamp3084

Trader

we have Aldi but they do not sell beer some bs Maryland law. I have had wernesgruner before I picked up two 4 packs in northern va. I prefer Pilsner urquell but i have found hacker pschorr gold in cans and it’s really good.

20. Mortal_Wombat

Mortal_Wombat Disciple (308) Jul 7, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

Gotta be Weihenstephaner Helles (in the cans).

Sierra Nevada Pale Bock, Lone Pint Yellow Rose and Paulaner Pils also are making appearances semi-frequently.

21. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (334) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Oberon is always my go to in the Summer. It's so drinkable and so good. I don't even fuck around with putting it in a glass, I go straight out of the can when I'm outside with it.

22. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

What? :astonished: I've been feeling sorry for myself because the now "UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT" store I usually buy a case of Pilsner Urquell 500 ml cans no longer would give me a case discount, so I was paying $41.99 (so, same as their retail $7/4pk, which in itself is higher than some markets I read about in the mid-West where they find it on sale for around $5 :grimacing:).

Pilsner Urquell is still imported by Molson Coors (as a result of the DoJ agreement that allowed ABI to purchase SABMiller) even though the brewery is owned by Asahi, and is usually distributed by the local MC house. I'd ask another store to order it for you (since it's a rare store that doesn't deal with MC) and see what they'll charge you.

Can't say I find much difference in taste between cans and bottles these days, but given the choice of 24-11.2oz bottles or 24-500ml cans, the latter always wins.:grin:

#62 jesskidden, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    DrOfGolf, Whyteboar, ChicagoJ and 3 others like this.
  23. Cstamp3084

Trader

I can’t find any retailers in Md or Va that can get cans. One store in dc can get them and there proud of it. The importer is in dc I would think anyone near by could get cans.

Whyteboar and ChicagoJ like this.
  24. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (289) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

Pacifico, by far.

DrOfGolf, Whyteboar and ChicagoJ like this.
  25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, that is Molson Coors' import division for many of their European beers, using 'dba' names for the importer on the label, same as used by MillerCoors and, at a different address in D.C., by (SAB)Miller:

IIRC, they don't really warehouse beer there, it's just a office and the beer is shipped to various locations around the country to MC distributors.
    Yeah, that sounds familiar in many areas :rolling_eyes: (Not too common in NJ and my usual stop hasn't had cans for a few weeks now, and I'm worried:grimacing:). Molson Coors seems to not really do much with Pilsner Urquell lately, after a flurry of changes in the past decade - shipping cold, wider distribution of cans, the move to brown bottles, airshipping a very limited amount of unfiltered/unpasteurized draught, clear date codes with the best imported "shelf life" (although "best" is still 9 months, but better than 1 year or more).

Seems all their effort on the Euro import side is going to Peroni these days.

I think part of the problem is a large portion of Pilsner Urquell drinkers aren't exactly beer geeks, but "imported beer" fans of the late 20th century version. Based on internet comments, they complained about the move to cans from green bottles when they dropped the 22 oz. bottles ("Doesn't taste the same!" "Yeah, it's not lightstruck!") and even complained when they designed better six pack packaging to protect the green bottles because it was "too hard:tired_face:" to open.
    "Hell, it's unlightstruck Pilsner Urquell - put a little effort into it!"

Oh, yeah. DC's 3 tier/distribution laws allow retailers to "self-import" - so if they're going outside the district to buy it (at retail, I guess, in most cases), you gotta figure a much higher price.

#65 jesskidden, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    DrOfGolf, ChicagoJ, AlfromPA and 5 others like this.
  26. Mugman8

Mugman8 Disciple (379) Sep 30, 2018 New York

Here's my Favorite Summer Brews ( in no particular order)
    - Bell's Oberon
    - Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing
    - Weihenstephaner Hefe
    - New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Juicy Hazy IPA

27. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (478) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

Since we're going through a super hot week here in the Northeast (I love the heat!), My goto's are Corona with Lime, Leini's Summer Shandy and Goose Island 312 Wheat. All are crushable and super refereshing

28. monkist

monkist Meyvn (1,445) Dec 7, 2016 Hungary

I keep my standards low around triple digits. Will go for anything chilled.

crazyspicychef, BigIronH and ChicagoJ like this.
  29. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,919) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

My Summer Go-Tos so far have been Dovetail Kolsch, Revolution Anti-Hero and Founder's 4 Giants, but really have a broad range after restocking the refrigerator the past month.

I can confirm $4-$5 is the standard price in our parts, at least at the Polish grocery stores nearby. Picked up a four pack a few weeks ago.

It's a great law. I highly recommend Churchkey, which serves cask conditioned and standard kegs from Europe on a regular basis.

30. Skabiski

Skabiski Crusader (715) Feb 2, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Bitburger Dry Hop’d Zwickl. At about $50 a case, it's a good value to me. Lots of flavor and under 5% ABV.

31. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,051) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Has been High Life and Hamms but I recently found Genny grapefruit kolsch at $10.49 a 12 pack and it’s getting a lot of love recently.

Enjoy

32. steveh

Society

Have you tried the Radaberger Pilsner Zwickel? It's $9 for 6 half-liter cans around here -- not sure if you get a full 24 cans in a case, but 4 six-packs of half-liters for $36 seems like a good deal.

33. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I just purchased a single can of the Genny Grapefruit Kolsch and I enjoyed that beer; a great heatwave beer I would think.

Cheers!

jfestush and MadMadMike like this.
  34. lastmango

lastmango Champion (864) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

With inflation increasing and prices going up, my Weihenstephaner Hefe and Helles has given way to Yuengling Lager.

MaltyFlannel, DrOfGolf and ChicagoJ like this.
  35. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (244) Jan 8, 2015 California

I do not drink much Gose myself, but the one other beer in that style out here that is quite popular is Anderson Valley Gose. They have several varieties. The ones I see most often are Blood Orange and Briney Melon. Is this not an option out east?

Peach63, ChicagoJ and DrOfGolf like this.
  36. MaltyFlannel

MaltyFlannel Initiate (53) Oct 30, 2020 Iowa

Paulaner Pils has been hitting the spot. I love the slightly-more-malty-than-crisp Bavarian pilsener profile, and for $8/4 pack 500ml cans, Paulaner has been the go-to over $14/4 pack Ayinger, or even more expensive local craft options of similar style

crazyspicychef, ChicagoJ and Jaycase like this.
  37. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,678) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Cowtown - Rhinestone Cowboy (a Kolsch style)

To my knowledge not really distributed outside of the DFW area. But has been super refreshing in the pool each afternoon during these 100+ degree days!

BigIronH, Peach63 and ChicagoJ like this.
  38. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Have you been successful in finding these beers in fresh condition?

Cheers!

P.S. On a related note I had a four-pack of Weihenstephaner Helles in my hands a couple of days ago and when I say it's best by date was one month away (i.e., the beer is 11 months old now) I just put it back on the shelf.

ChicagoJ, Jaycase and deanzaZZR like this.
  39. MadMadMike

MadMadMike Defender (656) Dec 11, 2020 Florida
    Society Trader

Cigar City Florida Man has a hold on me.,.

BigIronH, Peach63 and ChicagoJ like this.
  40. LampertLand

LampertLand Poo-Bah (3,473) Nov 2, 2011 Canada (BC)
    Society

MadMadMike and ChicagoJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.