What's your go-to platform of reviewing/rating?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mambossa, Jul 17, 2017.

1. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (178) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I understand I'm pretty much crossing unequivalent platforms with this post, but clearly there is a chasm between the usefulness of BA/Ratebeer and Untappd.

My fellow brewery co-workers often use Untappd for future personal recollection, seeing if they had rated a beer well when they've had it before. Other times it seems like a muddled, mastubatory ticking frenzy with people "having it just to say they've had it", with no substance for anyone, even themselves, to benefit from.

However BA and Ratebeer are aimed at people who may take more time and thought in expressing their experience. Sometimes users may be long-winded and extremely repetitive, but at least they put in the effort.

Then, some may dismay rating all-together (which I've adapted to), and just share for the sake of pleasure and enjoying the fun of writing. Better yet, just enjoying the beer as it is, no need to dive face-first into your screen and dweeb away, and instead enjoy the moment that is before you.

What's your go-to platform of reviewing/rating? And why?

DJturnstile and GreenBayBA like this.
  2. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,428) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I find the written reviews here on BA to be comprehensive enough that I no longer search elsewhere.

3. Mute_Ant_Brew

Mute_Ant_Brew Aspirant (241) Mar 28, 2017 Wisconsin
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I use untappd for myself. I rate the beer and if I feel like it I add some comments. Mostly because there are so many different beers I want to be able to go back and see what I thought then, and compare my tastes over time.
    I don't like leaving actual reviews though. I feel my pallet is very novice. Any review on my part is more towards an opinion than an actual review of the beer based on style.

GreenBayBA and tzieser like this.
  4. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,174) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

BA, the untapped ratings are all over the place. I tend to trust some of the reviewers here and know them, so I stick to what i know

GreenBayBA and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,998) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I use BA, and like @Squire123 dont really bother with the others. I don't find reviewing to involve screen diving or dweebing at all since I get a lot of benefits from reviewing. Among them:

1. It helps me better understand why I do or do not like a beer and that makes for greater enjoyment, especially on the next bottle. I'm in this to find my "sweet spot" beers for having more than once. Simply chasing the next new beer is not for me.

2. Having reviewed over 1,000 beers I've found it helps me remember better which beers I've had and have no interest in trying again since being on a limited budget I don't want to waste money on repeats I won't enjoy. Having tried both reviewing and not reviewing by doing rating only, I save money by reviewing and better remembering what I've reviewed and enjoyed or disliked.

3. I save money by being able to find reviewers who enjoy what I've enjoyed for similar reasons. More than once I've had to choose between buying a full case of a beer or possibly never seeing it that fresh again. I'll gamble on liking an untasted beer if I know what I like and can find positive reviews by reviewers I've learned to trust. I usually have won those gambles.

Bottom line, I review because I'm cheap and want to enjoy beer more.

HermitDan, utopiajane, jkblr and 10 others like this.
  6. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,234) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I concur, why use anything other than BA? I must say that I miss the speed of the app for this, and am looking forward to the hinted re-release of it. While I have muddled by with a saved link on my phone screen, it is much klunkier and half the speed of the app.

One feature I would love to see added is an option to cache basic info about all beers such as name, brewery, avg score, style, my score, and ABV. I don't need all the reviews, just the basic info for each beer. This way when I am in a store where coverage sucks, the app has local data to search on. I realize this cache could be big, complex to keep updated, and could eat into a data plan, but you could sync only when on wifi and use compression.

utopiajane likes this.
  7. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Defender (653) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I use both. I use Untappd to see what friends are drinking and, in a cursory manner, see what they think of the beer. I use Beer Advocate to research a beer. I am a litttle different than others here though I think. I rate and review more for myself here - like taking notes - to be able to remember what I thought of a particular beer. I have never used Ratebeer other than to see what a trade partner who uses it has or hasn't had. My primary reason for not using it is the look of it. I find that site ugly aesthetically.

dbrauneis, GreenBayBA and tzieser like this.
  8. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Devotee (428) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Why complicate a simple thing by using multiple sites.BA is a well organized site with trustworthy information and reviews. I personally like reviewing a beer for my own future reference as well as perhaps helping another person who's curious about the same beer

LeRose, drtth and Squire123 like this.
  9. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Devotee (428) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Subscriber

For those who do go through the process of reviewing a beer i personally find others reviews helpful. There have been several times reviews here influenced my choice of what beer i will try next. And even the few times I didn'tlike the beer everyone else did so what.what's life without a few failures,even with beer

10. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,438) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

After the opening few paragraphs, I did not expect the question at the end. I do share OP's sentiments with Untappd. At best, it's a personal checklist for beers had - which is a nice feature. At worst, it's a ticker's trophy case. I decided to leave Untappd due to the latter, plus the fact that the ratings didn't seem to carry any weight at all.

I spend my time on Beer Advocate, sharing my reviews and ratings with the database here. Perhaps I'll make a re-return to Untappd someday, but even if I was just using it to log the beers I've had, I'd have to make 500+ entries to catch up with my account here. At that rate, I might as well build a spreadsheet to track my brews.

BWood and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  11. mickyge

mickyge Devotee (439) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts

BA has a large opinion/review base, I find people's reviews honest, fair and 99.9% spot on.

12. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,239) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I trust the people I follow here if I'm unsure of a beer. I used untapped to tick but not anymore. I feel untapped is too social and not about the beer and more about a look at me attitude. I like it here better.

13. 4truth

4truth Aspirant (217) Jan 30, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I previously used the great BA app for everything until they got rid of it. Now that they seem to have solved the browser hijack problem I use a iPhone Safari shortcut to BA to check reviews and Untappd to just log beers I've had. I'm not proud of that, especially considering the terrible "updates" they've made to Untappd which do nothing but massively slow down and complicate the entire experience.

Bring back the app!

GreenBayBA likes this.
  14. LeRose

LeRose Savant (989) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Supporter Subscriber

I tried RateBeer for a while as well as UnTapped and found I just wasn't using them. I find the information here reliable and there are more than enough reviews to give help when needed. After a while, you find people who have similar tastes to your own and you can trust their reviews when unsure. I also find UnTapped to be too focused on the social aspects rather than the beer - too much "here I am...I'm with the cool kids" stuff for me.

I do keep a spreadsheet of my beers as well. Not sure why, it's just something I do. I guess that is my personal version of UnTapped. I even tried keeping inventory at one point which proved to be impossible.

15. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Disciple (383) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I use untappd to log my beers. I like to quickly check if I have had it and if I liked it. I also like to have a log of all the beers I have drank. I like that my friends are on there and I can quickly see what they are drinking and if they liked it.

But if I am curious about a beer I haven't tried, I put more stock in the BA reviews. I appreciate people who take the time to review a beer properly.

I rarely review beers on BA. I mostly just enjoy the forums and the website. I believe there is a purpose for both resources.

Cheers

sharpski, DJturnstile and Selby56 like this.
  16. seth27

seth27 Initiate (151) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I use both for different things. I'll use untapped more for just ticking and seeing if any local places have something out of the ordinary on tap.
    If I'm debating pulling the trigger on something expensive, I'll look at detailed reviews here. I tend to only leave a detailed review if it's a beer that doesn't have very many reviews.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  17. bret717

bret717 Devotee (484) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

BA is my go to source for beer reviews and rating. I've learned so much about beer tasting, styles and history from this site, and the people on it are great. There is so much information available within the forums on here that there is little need for me to go elsewhere on the internet. That being said, I also used Untappd, but that one's more of a social network for me where my friends (those not on BA) and I can share what we're drinking. I tried using Ratebeer, but that one never roped me in like BA has.

utopiajane and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  18. Giantspace

Giantspace Zealot (507) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I use untappd only to log every beer I drink no matter how many times I drink it. I add short notes and like to go back and see how my taste change or not. I also like that I can log an expedition stout or other beers by year so I can really look back The changes over years of ageing. It's fun to add a photo as well. If I am having a beer in some amazing place I can get a photo of the experience. I do not look at ratings on untappd as they are all over the place.

Enjoy

19. Selby56

Selby56 Initiate (145) Nov 12, 2014 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I use Untappd to keep track of what I've had and how I like them. It is easier and more convenient than keeping track on an Excel sheet. I also find it helpful to see what beers and bars are "trending" nearby. If I'm in a city I've never been to and have time for a beer, I always use it to see what local beers are popular in a 5 mile radius and where I can find them.

I rarely use BA outside of the forums to be honest. The community is great on here for discussing beer trends. But I'm not a fan of reading multiple paragraph reviews on a particular beer. If I keep hearing about a beer through these forums or from friends, I'll just dive in and try it if I'm able to get my hands on it.

20. JakeScully

JakeScully Crusader (715) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Supporter Beer Trader

Untappd is faster for tickers and indeed to see what your pals are drinking but since I came accross BA where the crowd take the time for better reviews ie, more elaborated than 'That's one dank IPA' and so forth..

Depending on my mood, I sometimes read even the 1000 more characters reviews before buying a brew and sometimes only look up the rating.

utopiajane and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  21. Andy311x

Andy311x Aspirant (256) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina
    Subscriber

I use untappd for logging the beers I drink (I give ratings and type short notes), seeing what my friends are drinking and checking tap lists. I use BA for the forums and to read reliable in-depth reviews.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  22. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,436) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I've never used Untappd, it doesn't give me enough information. And I used to do ratings on RateBeer but back then most of the reviews that were being written were quite limited and they didn't really help me when I was researching beers - however, I'll sometimes use them these days as they'll often have beers listed that we don't have here (odd Italian beers, Japanese beers, etc.). For the most part BA gives me a simple platform to search that tells me #1, whether I've already reviewed a beer, and #2, what others though of it - and that includes more than just looking at a number.

23. tzieser

tzieser Champion (800) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

In the past I rarely used Untappd but lately it has been closer to 50/50. Obviously both have their pros and cons. I really like how quick the interface is for Untappd and for me the "where to find" functionality is much more accurate than BA. That makes it great for traveling. I have some international friends on there I like talking to, sharing pics with. The badges are sorta fun in a gimmicky way. For me Untappd is fun, BA is more serious. You can't really get away with stuff off-topic here so the atmosphere is, in my opinion, a bit more authoritative than the slightly Laissez-faire style of Untappd. I still prefer the passion of the BA community and the content is much more insightful than the vast majority of stuff on Untappd. I learned so much from many different people here over the years (RIP to some of their accounts) and BA is still my #1 because of that.

Bitterbill, AZBeerDude72 and cavedave like this.
  24. BergBeer

BergBeer Devotee (463) Aug 21, 2013 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I use Untappd for purely personal tracking. I like to look back on the beers I drink. It could serve no purpose as a social media platform and I would still enjoy it.

I use Beer Advocate for when I really want to dive into a beer and review it with depth. I have something resembling a ritual when I review for BA.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,175) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I use this site to determine which beers I am likely to enjoy. We have a better system for rating/reviewing beers, and better reviewers to do it.

Then I use Unta*pd to find out where the beers are near to me. While the one sentence "reviews" and number ratings on Unta*pd are pretty much valueless to me, the check ins are even more current than they are on B*ermenus..

26. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,998) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I've pretty much given up on keeping a spreadsheet like list of beers I've had, relying on this site for that information. My spreadsheet type lists are two separate lists. One list records where I got the beer, how many I bought and what I paid. It only gets opened for that purpose. The other is a list of what's waiting in my basement inventory or the fridge and their information includes actual or estimated best by dates and whether I've reviewed them or not. Then I don't let anything get too old and can pick something on a night when in the mood to review a new beer.

HoppingMadMonk and LeRose like this.
  27. LeRose

LeRose Savant (989) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Supporter Subscriber

Mine started out as an inventory of what's in the house and what I buy, and I simply keep up with it. If I could get to a reasonable place to call "do over" or if I didn't have beer bottles stashed in every cool spot in the house, I'd be able to do a better job. Plus when I started it, I had no idea there were bottle dates - just adding that would help.

I am quite the leisurely drinker. For new beers I take my time, write my post for NBS (sometimes WBAYDN during the week), and next morning copy my review into the spreadsheet or vice versa. So that part is easy. I keep other notes as well - where I found it, how much I paid for it, and a Yes/No for would I buy it again which I could add to the BA review, I suppose. I just find the spreadsheet easy to search and filter - probably because I do so much Excel work for, well, work.

The last time I updated the inventory, 107 bottles. Just a quick scan tells me some of them are long gone, but some have hung around an embarrassingly long time. Bitch's Brew, Storm King, and Otto in Oak jump right out. A bottle of Maudite that I think has actually evolved into a living organism...Pretty Things stouts and a barleywine or two and they have not brewed in two years now, I think. The first rendering of Wootstout... Plus whatever has come IN the door since I last counted... I'm a victim of "buy it when I see it" and if you only drink two or three a week...unbalanced equation.

28. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Meyvn (1,432) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The only time I look elsewhere is if there isn't enough ratings and reviews on here. I notice a lot more people use untappd, but the ratings are not in depth enough for me. BA has some good reviews, we just need more of them.

29. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,252) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Mostly BA, occasionally Rate Beer

utopiajane likes this.
  30. tillmac62

tillmac62 Meyvn (1,430) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Here, with Ratebeer a very distant second for posting reviews.

For researching and just hangin' out - Here. There is no competition.

VABA, utopiajane and dcotom like this.
  31. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,223) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

BA is my only platform.

utopiajane and Greywulfken like this.
  32. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (89) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Most newer beers don't have many/any reviews on here, so I'll look on untapped just to see if I can get an idea on what my opinion of the beer will likely be. The actual rating for beers on there is pretty useless, but I'll scan through for any long-ish reviews and sometimes they're useful.

33. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,617) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I use BA for reviews, and Untappd as a list. I do take Untappd seriously at all. I give everything a 4 unless it's really good, or really bad. it's usefulness shows at bottle shares, or when at a brewery/bar and I don't want to be bothered with taking notes for reviewing later.

I don't review here anywhere near the rate I used to. I started doing reviews here just as a way of keeping a list. Then I started to enjoy it. I wish there were an easy way to combine my BA/UT lists into one, just for personal record keeping.

sharpski and utopiajane like this.
  34. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,009) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

35. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,084) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Supporter Subscriber

For rating it's definitely BA that I primarily focus on and gives me the breadth of information that I need and tools to get the job done. Also my reviews go into my own personal made database.

I do use Untappd, but I don't put much trust into their rating system as it's lacking with just one simple rating on a scale of 1/2 to 5. I do use the application it has other great uses, but reviews and ratings are not why I use it. It's great for real time information on taplists mostly for me, everything else is just cake.

#35 imbibehour, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    utopiajane and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  36. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Champion (818) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I am exclusive to BA because I feel I know the community and when I read a review I tend to trust it. Being on here and using the forums etc. I got a feel for the community and that helps a lot when you read stuff because you know they are experienced and also being serious. I also find it a good honor system. I am around a lot and like to chat so when I post a review I am being honest and giving my best take on said beer at the time. I don't want people to think I am a crazed reviewer lol so I try and provide as accurate a review as I can with my skill set to date. I also think the community here is pretty tight nit and that creates a real good platform for accurate info and feedback. I thought I knew it all when it came to beer, then a year later after being on BA interacting I realized my past experience was a joke. So for me BA is my go to for all.
    :slight_smile:

utopiajane, dcotom and HoppingMadMonk like this.
  37. McFinniganOfTheFinnigans

McFinniganOfTheFinnigans Initiate (166) Apr 20, 2017 Florida

Ratebeer for me is too funny. Every beer no matter what is hated upon in some degree. Untapped is great for one reason.... They list IBU. I use this a l to help customer know more about a beer. Say I have beer which is higher in IBU than an IPA? It helps to show that not all beers are what you expect. However, it gets annoying when they say the beer has 0% IBU.

Beer Advocate I enjoy because the forum section is very helpful in the education aspect. But of late I'm seeing too many low ratings, but no reason why. 2.5 rating? Why? What didn't you like? It's as if I were reading reviews on Google Maps.

Haven't been on any others to be honest.

All I ask for is true accurate description of a beer and why you liked or hated any said beer. Maybe images of every beer listed would help. But one can hope.

38. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (1,662) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio

Why right here on Beer Advocate of course.

cavedave and Lone_Freighter like this.
  39. Lone_Freighter

Lone_Freighter Poo-Bah (4,450) Jun 4, 2017 Vermont

Beer Advocate is my number 1 source - it has the most "fluent, and well versed" of beer raters that know how to tell it like it is.

I don't mind untapped for certain things such as finding where the beers are. I do like the beer menus that can be found at bars and restaurants, even though those aren't always updated. Decent as a back - up but very little serious reviewers and the 140 characters can be disheartening to long winded reviewers.

Ratebeer has shot itself in the foot recently and I'm trying to find out why anyone can take that website seriously. Even when their owner makes statements that says we remain an unbiased approach to beer but freezes the thread. Apparently, the word "transparency" was never a part of that guy's vocabulary.

40. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Champion (814) Feb 5, 2014 Texas

I've always used BA to rate my beers since this site helped really pull me in to craft beer. I have a bunch of friends on untapped but ultimately didn't want to start over with a new platform in addition to this.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.