What's Your Guilty (Beer) Pleasure?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ipamonster, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willth

willth Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2013 Illinois

Ill buy labatt for house/friends/shower beer. Not a guilty pleasure but its better then those a-holes drinking my good beer

2. shawnohall

shawnohall Aspirant (201) Nov 8, 2009 Texas

I've heard kudos from older BAs about their IPA. When did Ballantine's quality go downhill?

3. fastrodney

fastrodney Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2005 North Carolina

The term "guilty pleasure" is annoying. You either enjoy something or do not. Embracing things (music, beer, food, art, movies) that are considered "bad" by society is in the realm of the hipsters. Beer Advocates as a community are well accustomed to the general public not understanding us... so why subscribe to preconceived notions of what is good and bad? Cheap beer, as well as the "premium brands" established post-prohibition can be surprisingly enjoyable if one considers the objective style. With all of that in mind, there really is no beer that I do not enjoy, provided it has some flavor to it. All of that being said, I am driven to try as many beers as possible, especially "low-brow" ones, at least once. My personal favorites among the underdogs are as follows: Miller High Life, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Stroh's, Colt 45, Tecate, Yuengling; and the occasional Budweiser for reasons that are hard to explain. For the record, Yuengling Light is the best reasonably-priced sub-100kcal beer to be found on the East Coast. Try everything. Does it at least taste like beer? Evaluate by style afterwards and enjoy!

Crusader likes this.
  4. M_C_Hampton

M_C_Hampton Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Georgia

Budweiser Chelada. I hate admitting that.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,489) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Kinda a long, sad story...

Ballantine closed in 1972, and their labels were purchased by Falstaff (at the time, the #5 brewer in the US with breweries coast to coast). It was generally considered a bad financial deal for Falstaff (which itself was on the way down and soon to be taken over by the notorious Paul Kalmanovitz' S&P Corp.) and they put little effort into the ales - Ballantine XXX Ale and India Pale Ale (note that many people on BA get them confused) and constantly changed recipes. They also tried exploit the Ballantine reputation by expanding the line with short-lived Cream Ale, Brewer's Gold Ale and Twisted Red Ale in the 80-90s - but the company was infamous for avoiding promotional costs or spending money on much of anything else.

XXX didn't suffer as much in the first few decades (though the hopping in particular constantly changed) but, as you noted in the other thread, the IPA was constantly being dumbed down - lower abv, lower ibu, shortened aging time, etc. The IPA disappeared by the late 1990's when Pabst Milwaukee brewery closed. S&P had purchased Pabst, closed all it's Falstaff breweries and folded all their brands/breweries (they also owned Pearl and General) under the "Pabst" name - and would eventually turn into a "virtual" (contract) brewery, after closing all it's breweries by 2002 or so.

Today, Pabst still markets a Miller-brewed beer labeled Ballantine XXX Ale, which is lower in alcohol and IBU's, a different hopping schedule and most probably neither dry-hopped with whole hops or using Ballantine's famous hop oils, and apparently brewed with a bottom-fermenting yeast simply at a higher fermentation temperature (called a "bastard ale" in the US macro industry). It nothing like the classic XXX Ale of the Newark era, nor, does it have anything in common with the Ballantine India Pale Ale which many people on the BA forums and elsewhere on the 'net confuse it.

6. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 Maine

40s Schlitz Bull Ice.

BLACKENEDPLAGUE likes this.
  7. chuckstout

chuckstout Initiate (51) May 22, 2006 Ohio

Rolling Rock!

8. czfreeman

czfreeman Initiate (0) May 22, 2007 California

Hoegaarden..there I said it

creepinjeeper likes this.
  9. JHE73

JHE73 Initiate (160) Mar 7, 2013 California
    Trader

Great breakfast beer,

10. JHE73

JHE73 Initiate (160) Mar 7, 2013 California
    Trader

Stiegl Radler preferably with at gelbwurst sando (on light rye)

e34john likes this.
  11. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

Ipa/ grapefruit juice mixed drinks!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  12. krl2112

krl2112 Crusader (772) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Leine Summer Shandy really cold on a hot day.

13. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

I was at an open bar and I ran out of craft options so I went for Summer Shandy and I certainly didn't hate it.

14. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

I occasionally fruit the beer. Oberon with an orange slice (no rind) is tasty.

15. leezy

leezy Initiate (56) Sep 13, 2009 Minnesota

Year round: Grain Belt (Nordeast), A nice Miller/Coors
    Seasonal: Leine's Summer Shandy

16. dagmer

dagmer Initiate (78) Feb 27, 2012 Illinois

Leinenkugels - the regular version, when i can find it. for some reason i see all the other styles around but not the original beer.
    Pabst- it's good!
    Hamm's
    Budweiser

17. spitshaded

spitshaded Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 Virginia

I really enjoy a Negra Modelo with a lime when I go to a Mexican restaurant.

e34john likes this.
  18. Treath

Treath Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2010 California

Not guilty, but this is what I drink when low on cash:
    Olde English
    Steel Reserve
    Coors
    Keystone Light

But when dirt poor and can't afford the above and am desperate:
    :grimacing: Hurricane High Gravity

ZagZagg likes this.
  19. argock

argock Poo-Bah (3,706) Dec 30, 2006 Virginia
    Society

miller high life while playing poker

20. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (375) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I second that emotion on the Leinies Orig. and also
    Strohs when I can find it in a bottle.

21. LivingWeapon

LivingWeapon Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2012 Illinois

This may be one of the worst topics ever. Well to me at least. As with anything with me, guilty pleasure has no meaning. I am not ashamed of what I like and will not hide anything I do like or whatever in order to impress you. If it tastes good, then it is good, why hide it?

fastrodney likes this.
  22. Dan269605

Dan269605 Aspirant (220) Jul 10, 2013 Connecticut

Smithwicks

Wylde likes this.
  23. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Devotee (422) Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota

Moosehead. After a long hot day of trout fishing it is my first beer. Followed by a number of craft beers!

24. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Celebration Ale...well into July

25. alk3kenny

alk3kenny Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2004 Georgia

Miller Lite in a 16oz can... Great for tailgating!

26. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (269) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I'm a sucker for the Saranac seasonal mix packs. I make it a point to get each one once. Youre gonna get thin and watery beers in each one but you also will get maybe 1 or 2 really decent ones per pack.

27. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

Pacifico with lime, but I haven't had it in forever...

28. Lutter

Lutter Zealot (578) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

That stuff is like someone trying to make corn-based cider. Bleeech.

That said, I can see why. It's like $1.50 at the convenience store near my house for 24oz.

Treath likes this.
  29. fastrodney

fastrodney Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2005 North Carolina

$1.50 for 24oz of Hurricane? As purely a question of low-rent value, why not go for 40oz of High Life ($1.60ish in my neck of the woods) or Colt (something like $1.90)? Not to mention pretty much any 40oz, save the Bud branded stuff. It bugs me that, at least around here, 24oz are +/- $0.15 of their 40oz brethren.

30. Lutter

Lutter Zealot (578) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

Well, it's 8% ABV IIRC, so it might actually be a better deal if you're just wanting to get krunked!

31. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (640) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

BCBS butt chugging

32. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Last year, I bought a sixpack of Genny Cream Ale. Drank 2, gave 4 away. When I was just getting started in craft beer, I had a few Blue Moons and a ShockTop before I knew who owned them. But don't tell anyone.

33. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

If you like the grapefruit one try 10 Barrel "Swill", took me by suprise.

34. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (448) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Budweiser. The King of Beers it isn't, but when you're hot, thirsty, and want to just walk into any old bar for a beer, it comes in handy.

PBR is my beer of choice for when I'm chain smoking, because it actually has a decent flavor, and why waste good beer by pairing it with cigarettes?

35. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

i have a weakness for fruit beers, blueberry mostly...always get made fun of by my friends lol...apparently theres a man-rule that you cant have fruit flavored beer but having fruit flavored anything else is completely different

hnandez likes this.
  36. Skater_Rich

Skater_Rich Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Illinois

Summer Shandy i guess, its the new miller lite of the Midwest but in a way that's a positive. Ill grab a SS over a Lite any day, But I still feel guilty.

sacrelicio likes this.
  37. hnandez

hnandez Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2013 California

New Glarus Serendipity. I would drink gallons of this at a time if possible.

blue-dream and Ilovelampandbeer like this.
  38. DevilDancer

DevilDancer Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2013 Michigan

Blue moon, After drinking all bb stouts and high gravity, a sweet wheat water beer sometimes sounds delicious

39. josephwa

josephwa Zealot (505) Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Trader

Ahahahahaha! That killed me!

40. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

southern tier crème brulee with a blob of good vanilla ice cream in it.

yep, a beer float.

(and before anyone makes the obvious comment: yes, I find straight crème brulee undrinkable too. but ice cold with ice cream = just the right amount of sweetness)

VanStrokin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.