What's your latest "best beer for the buck"?!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Mar 15, 2023.

1. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Genesee Spring Bock . $9.99 (or sometimes $8.99) /12pk.
    ~= Yuengling (regular), but a bit drier & slightly more hoppy.
    Alas, last night I was told I was buying the last one . (til next year)

Also regular Genny. This past July, tallboys started appearing at local stores, so I tried one, not having had it in at least 25 yrs . It was a staple of adults when I was a kid, & probably the 1st I was allowed to sample. Now, I see why. No off flavors, & none of that morning-after-the-night-before essence :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: , that drives me away from most AALs. Similar to PBR, but $3.40 less per 12pk, so ....:+1:.

After that, Southern Tier Overpack'd 15 pk, today obtained for $17.49(15 pk) . + Thin Man Pils Mafia , a pretty good pils,at that same price^ , akin to vonTrapp Bohemian pils , that no longer shows up here.

2. mikeinportc

Pooh-Bah Society

Good to hear. I see it here , but either old af, or in boxes with no dating. Was wondering how they survive.

Bitterbill and 19etz55 like this.
  3. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think I got a couple of four-packs. There wasn't much left. I was actually surprised to see any at all, since it's kind of a ghetto-ass grocery store and the have a limited selection of craft beers.

4. mikeinportc

Pooh-Bah Society

Forgot : Two Roads' 12pk IPA mix, in which all are quite good, for $13 - $15/12pk.

5. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Just grabbed a bunch of these 2 different mixers. 13 February dates. The mixed brewery pack was old and the Jai Alai was January. There was a $3 off a 12 pack code too, can’t get it to work though.

Enjoy

[​IMG]

6. zac16125

zac16125 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,358) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My golf club has Busch Light drafts for $1, so that’s my vote. Literal bang for a buck.

7. BruChef

BruChef Pundit (963) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Have lived just a few miles from the brewery (Genesee) all my life and have been fortunate enough (except for when they were on the verge of closing) to witness the change(s), especially in the last 20+ years. When I first bought a sixer of this a month ago, I assumed Genny brewed it but I was def surprised to see that they were still using the High Falls brand. I’m also surprised that Genny is still brewing for Labatt considering that Labatt opened a brew house not too far from here in Buffalo, but I’m also not sure if it houses a production brewery either.

8. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

FIFCO only use "High Falls" on legal documents that I've ever seen, such as with the TTB, where their brewing permit/license is "BR-NY-HIG-15000".

Well, there really are no "Genesee" or "Labatt" companies, it's all FIFCO USA. The standard flagship Labatt brands (Blue and Blue Light) are still imported from Canada, where they are contract-brewed by Molson Coors. The US DoJ agreement that allowed the AB - InBev merger, made ABInBev sell the right to Labatt in the US and prohibited them from importing ABInBev brewed Labatt. The new owners of Genesee and Labatt USA felt Labatt flagships should still have the magic "Imported" label.

That Buffalo facility would be way too small to handle Labatt Blue and Light production for the US (other than those weird US-Labatt spin-off line-extensions that have come and gone).
    Have not seen a breakdown of FIFCO USA sales, but it's likely the majority of their 2.2M bbl. are still the Labatt brands they import from Canada.

9. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Strange, usually Guinness is marked up for St Patty’s day. Same with Corona on Cinco de Mayo.

10. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Still Euro cheapies for me: $5.99 for 4-500ml works out to between 9-10 cents per ounce, same price as a sixer of Bud. Even the lesser ones are better, and the better ones will way outclass it.

Latest jams are from Poland: Kasztelan, Okicim, Tyskie.

11. Dkeage

Dkeage Crusader (481) May 17, 2015 Texas
    Society

Just grabbed a 12 pack of Paulaner Weisn for $8.99.

12. NorsemanOne

NorsemanOne Pooh-Bah (2,069) Sep 17, 2021 Utah
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As is Bodhi. Those two see distro, along with War Child, but they've got more that are brewery only.

19etz55, ChicagoJ and NorsemanOne like this.
  14. NorsemanOne

NorsemanOne Pooh-Bah (2,069) Sep 17, 2021 Utah
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ah I missed that one, guess it's time to watch again!

15. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nope, it’s from Schindler’s List.

19etz55, ChicagoJ and NorsemanOne like this.
  16. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Pooh-Bah (2,418) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Voodoo Ranger Juice Force stovepipes for 2.49.

17. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think my little cousin's GI Joe doll came in that group's uniform! He had the lunch box, too!

#57 jesskidden, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  18. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Great movie! So many ridiculous quotes. And Gary Busey….

ChicagoJ and 19etz55 like this.
  19. moodenba

moodenba Pooh-Bah (1,833) Feb 2, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

If Lidl has stores near you, they stock Perlenbacher German Pils at $12 for six 1/2 liter, and if on sale $10 (in NY). I prefer it to many of the standard-price German Pils', and all of the Polish brews.

20. drh88

drh88 Pundit (786) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania

New Trail Crisp Lager. I'm a regular player at $25.99/case.