What's your most memorable beer experience?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rgordon, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seiler22

Seiler22 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2014 Minnesota

Sitting in FFF day after Dark Lord day this year, which sadly i didn't get tickets for, sat at the bar, thought that they were all out of DL when all of a sudden they started pouring out small samples of an '09 DL to the people at the bar. All I gotta say is it was worth the drive, too bad I didn't score any DL until I found out about trading.
    09 Darklord, one of the best beers/stouts I've had in my small amount of time since I've started drinking craft beers

2. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2013 California

Espresso infused Old Rasputin on nitro was amazing... can still taste it..

3. timmy2b

timmy2b Savant (957) Jan 24, 2007 New York
    Trader

Kill Ugly Radio by Lagunitas. Was given this for my graduation gift and loved it. I will not forget how great it tasted and then being really disappointed when I woke up the next day to find out that it was only going to be brewed the one time.

4. sammyg832

sammyg832 Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2013 Arizona

I've had a lot of memorable beers but the one that got me into beer was the Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer. It opened the door for me. It showed me how good beer could be. I've been hooked since

5. mungbeans

mungbeans Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Massachusetts

6. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2010 Texas

Ballentine's India Pale Ale circa 1983. 2nd would be the Narragansett Porter that we bought at the same time.

7. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (94) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

[​IMG]
    This Westvleteren 12 in Brussels.

utopiajane and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  8. BradStokley

BradStokley Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland

First Black Note I ever had. After the first sip, I had to sit down it was so good. Still my favorite beer.

9. DaftPatrick

DaftPatrick Zealot (504) Nov 29, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

First time having BCBCS or the first time having TG Assassin.

10. Omnium

Omnium Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

Tree House brewing Green.
    Forever life altering beer.

Close second: Dominion Oak Barrell. THE beer that catapaulted me into craftdom.

Guzzle_McBrew likes this.
  11. hunterjames

hunterjames Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2014 Canada (ON)

Bellwoods Brewery (Toronto) Roman Candle IPA and Black Oak Brewing (Toronto) 10 Bitter Years DIPA! Amazing beers!

taxandbeerguy likes this.
  12. MrWilliams

MrWilliams Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2013 Arizona

I've had quite a few good beers but most memorable would be Widmer Hefe. Drank a lot of this when I traveled with the carnival in CA before I seriously started exploring craft. Drank it on top of the YoYo ( giant swings), on top of the Ferris wheel, under the Tilt'O'Whirl, on top of the bumper cars and a ton in the fun house. Good times, good times.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  13. jcos

jcos Aspirant (212) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

1. I had a bomber of Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye in winter 2009?, had no idea what I was getting into. So good.
    2. Three Floyds Dreadnaught bomber split with my friend and his cousin(who is also now my friend) while visiting Chicago. in October 2010. Stuff is so good.
    3. First taste of Lagunitas Sucks the first year produced - 12/17/2011. I liked Lagunitas, and just randomly bought a six pack. Poured it, didn't really look like much. Took a sniff - wow.

14. Bsetz

Bsetz Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 Missouri

Toasted Love Child No. 3 at my wedding last summer. Don't think I'll be able to top that one.

15. taxandbeerguy

taxandbeerguy Poo-Bah (3,391) Jul 12, 2013 Canada (ON)
    Society

Family dinner out at an authentic German restaurant in southern Ontario in early 2011. Had a pint of something off a extremely disappointing tap list. By the time dinner rolled around, I was thirst for something more authentic to pair with my schnitzel. Waiter said the tap list was everything they had except for a Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen in a bottle. I figured why not give this a try.

Needless to say after not venturing much beyond adjunct and euro lagers, my mind was blown. And I haven't looked back since that first beer from the world's oldest brewery.

16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

My first Hop Slam, quite a revelation, before that the best IPAs here were Hop Devil, Two Hearted, Dfh 60. My first really wow moment with beer, completely blown away.

17. Boca-X

Boca-X Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

The last one I had...

18. Jeremy_H

Jeremy_H Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2013 Illinois

The first sour beer I ever had was at Russian River. I had Supplication and my mouth exploded and puckered. I was hooked on barrel aged sours ever since. It wowed me!

19. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

Sixpoint RAD, which i tried tonight, is probably the most memorable beer i have ever had. it took me completely by surprise and i found myself at first put off but then i found that to be from the shock of the fruit juice taste. with each sip i liked it more and by the end i found it to be very tasty, unique, and extremely refreshing. it made me feel like i was on a beach chair in some poster card-esque location. It was very much something i never would have thought i would enjoy (don't get me wrong, six point is probably my favorite overall brewery, i just have never before enjoyed a fruit beer) This was a very gutsy move by then and i believe it will pay off.

20. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (268) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

Ten years ago or so I was drinking at the moan and dove in Amherst , Ma . The owner let me look through the walk in for my next beer and I came out with this

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/540/8255/

A Vermeer with a bit of mold on it. Shared it with my brother in law. One of the brothers who imported it was drinking there that night and asked if it was one of his beers. Fantastic brew!

21. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

There have been many a beer that twists my tassels, but nothing like the first time I had Celebrator! I never knew a Lager could taste that damn good!

22. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

Hop Ju Ju was pretty jaw dropping. Surely Abrasive was too. Heady Topper was great, but I expected that based off of the attention that it received.

It's funny, I love every style of beer, but IPAs really jump out at me. It's rare to find a perfectly balanced ipa that is also fresh.

23. JohnFatAss

JohnFatAss Devotee (429) Jan 22, 2011 New Jersey

Corona!
    On vacation, in the summer.
    Just hanging out in a bar, good music playing.
    Hooked up with a cool girl.

24. Beerboy33

Beerboy33 Initiate (111) Mar 19, 2008 Illinois

Drinking an Old Style while mowing 2 acres of weeds back in 1988. I can still remember that taste!

25. 01001111

01001111 Initiate (0) May 12, 2008 California

1) Back in January of 2010, after a brutal tech interview, during the most miserable weather Seattle has to offer, I took a cab to Brouwer's to try my first sour: Supplication. It blew my mind. I've been in love with sours ever since.

2) Years ago again at a brewpub back in Florida where I used to live that was bought by Gordon Biersch but not branded. The head brewer was allowed to do small experimental batches. One night a dear friend and colleague of mine joined me and we tried the latest small batch: a rosemary-grapefruit IPA. The amazing flavors and great company made this one pop into my mind when I saw the question. As many wonderful beers I've had over the years, the best occasions are when you can share them with people you love.

There have been a good number of other memorable beers but these are perhaps the two stories I hold dearest.

26. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

I dont think he posts much anymore but if he still did this would win most memorable beer.

Guzzle_McBrew likes this.
  27. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

The view and setting made these memorable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

utopiajane likes this.
  28. appetiteforparis

appetiteforparis Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Colorado

First BCBS at GABF...it was then that I started to understand what beer could be, and what it could do to me.

29. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

Long story, but many hurdles in my career to get where I am now. After 9 years of hard work I got the call that my interviews went well and I got my promotion. Had a Heady Topper to celebrate, it was my only one. Tasted like achievement.

Many more coming, birth of my first child is on the horizon, so something will top that.

30. drinkin-beeers

drinkin-beeers Disciple (368) Jan 29, 2014 Montana

A great day of back country snowboarding outside of big sky/moonlight basin here in MT. Then stopping in to find SN celebration on tap, while seeing some great bluegrass(emmit nershi band) it really was the perfect day

31. MASSHLE

MASSHLE Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Massachusetts

Every King Cobra I drank from 15-18 yrs old

32. Ale_Dog

Ale_Dog Initiate (0) May 13, 2014 New York

My first Guinness. It was like when Jim from Taxi had his first Baked brownie-somehow the world was different from that day forward (and I dropped out of Harvard and found myself in a blue color job, but it was all worth it).

33. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (407) Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Hair of The Dog Matt followed by Bells Wild One, then I hooked up with this chick. I remember drinking a little BVDL as well. It was a good night. Some real Kentucky craft beer bullshit.

34. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

i remember most beers i've had. i have a terrible memory otherwise, but i have an uncanny beer memory.

i guess especially memorable would be...

dry hopped arrogant bastard. just perfect.

rum barrel xyauyu.

the first time i had lagunitas gnarlywine at burp castle in NYC 5~ years ago.

so many really.

---

edit: best beer i've ever had?

again, dry hopped AB is competitive. NEBCO redrum. again xyauyu barrel. recently, 2011 (?) j.w. lees. some of the stuff i had during the belated collected works tasting at hill farmstead (soured what is enlightenment, for example). i don't know.

honestly, when you get into Best territory, the beer is tied to the occasion. there isn't really an order of rank.

best made? i don't know... fresh NEBCO gold stock? CBC cerise cassee at its best?

35. mrjmann

mrjmann Disciple (336) Feb 10, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

The remainder of a coffee abraxas that the group in front of ours gave to me to share among my friends while waiting in line to DLD 2014. Was the very first beer I drank that morning and actually got to drink a pretty hefty portion of the bottle myself, it was freakin awesome and the best beer I had that day in my opinion... still looking to trade for a bottle of it.

36. Carl_R

Carl_R Disciple (332) Mar 24, 2013 Oklahoma

One of my brothers best briends was married recently. I stopped off by the house to congradulate them and brought some beers for them. It turns out that his brother was in town from Boston and brought some Heady. It was a nice surprise to be handed a Heady in rural Oklahoma when you least expect it.

37. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Two part answer.

1.) I inadvertently bought my first sour on the morning of the day I had to organize and pack up all my military gear to turn it in for good (several hour process). It was a 2012 Weyerbacher Riserva. Drinking that first delicious sour and the emotions associated with cutting my name tag off my helmet, taking apart my ruck, etc. will always be a strong memory in my mind.

2.) By this time, most of my other military buddies had gotten out. That weekend, my buddy and I enjoyed an amazing care package sent my way from @SammyJaxxxx. I was big into craft but hadn't had any of the big beers yet... that box had my first Heady and PtE, among a few other awesome brews. We spent that night reminiscing about our years as paratroopers overseas and stateside, and I left for home a couple days later. That box also turned my friend into an avid Budweiser/4 Loko guy into a craft lover.

Here are some pictures I took from that time that basically illustrate what I just described, haha:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,164) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Yeah, I agree. Bolt Cutter is stellar!

fermentedbarley likes this.
  39. Abbbp

Abbbp Crusader (741) Mar 9, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Most memorable beer experience I've had is most memorable because of the story that was associated with it, not the beer itself, but beer is what tied everything together and the part of the story we still conclude with when retelling it 15+ years later. On the Tuesday after Labor Day '98 Mark McGwire hit home run 61 to tie Roger Maris. On a whim me and 3 solid friends drove thru the night from Baylor University up to St. Louis hoping to get tickets for the game... We were broke college kids and we got lucky and got tickets and got in and were so tired we were sleeping in between innings... Then he did it, number 62 and we were jazzed up- none of us being 21, a 12 year old would've been sold brew that day, and we got some to join in on the celebrations.

So my most memorable brew experience?:
    September 8th, 1998. St. Louis. Busch Stadium. Bud Light

40. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,164) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

The first Black Tuesday. I remember waiting in line, for a few hours, wondering if this new local brewery (the Bruery) would produce a good Impy Stout, and if I was an idiot for waiting in said line. Needless to say, I tasted history that night. The first BT was mind-blowing. And all since have been great. But when you factor in the that they lost a huge portion of that first batch, some blew off in barrels and some spilled on the floor in a mishap with Patrick Rue (owner) and Tyler King (Head Brewer at that time) this was the beginning of truly strong Imperial Stouts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.